closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch crystal question for our watchmakers

Master

Watch crystal question for our watchmakers

I have a handful of watches that really deserve new crystals. They are similar in that they have flat, mineral crystals that are relatively exposed and get scratched easily. These include a couple of Heuer Pasadenas, a LeJour 7750 chrono and a couple of similar style (I am a bit of a sucker for this style and have around ten at the minute, Orfina Posrche etc).
    The Orfina has had a total refurb by Orfina and I'm fairly certain it's now fitted with a sapphire crystal. This has got me wondering if there's any reason why the others couldn't be replaced by sapphire too. Also, how are these crystals normally fitted into the case? I haven't tried removing any of them yet, but I can't see any trace of a 'L' gasket. Would they normally have just been friction fitted (pressed) into the steel cases? All these cases have inner Tachy bezels so I certainly wouldn't want to risk any glue onto the inner bezel. Any advice or guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I have a handful of watches that really deserve new crystals. They are similar in that they have flat, mineral crystals that are relatively exposed and get scratched easily. These include a couple of Heuer Pasadenas, a LeJour 7750 chrono and a couple of similar style (I am a bit of a sucker for this style and have around ten at the minute, Orfina Posrche etc).
    The Orfina has had a total refurb by Orfina and I'm fairly certain it's now fitted with a sapphire crystal. This has got me wondering if there's any reason why the others couldn't be replaced by sapphire too. Also, how are these crystals normally fitted into the case? I haven't tried removing any of them yet, but I can't see any trace of a 'L' gasket. Would they normally have just been friction fitted (pressed) into the steel cases? All these cases have inner Tachy bezels so I certainly wouldn't want to risk any glue onto the inner bezel. Any advice or guidance appreciated. Thanks.
    If they are round, then it should be straightforware to replace glass with sapphire. Mineral crystal and sapphire crystals generally have gaskets. Older mineral crystal watches might be glued in. Plastic lenses, which I mostly use, are generally just friction fit, often times compressed before being inserted.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    If they are round, then it should be straightforware to replace glass with sapphire. Mineral crystal and sapphire crystals generally have gaskets. Older mineral crystal watches might be glued in. Plastic lenses, which I mostly use, are generally just friction fit, often times compressed before being inserted.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks Bob. Yes, they’re all simple, round crystals. I haven’t removed any of them yet, so can only get a rough measurement of the diameter and obviously can’t measure the thickness. Assuming I can get the correct size, would it be advisable to get a crystal and gasket combo, even though I’m fairly sure there was no gasket originally? I would like them to look original, or at least very close. I’m also very wary of using a glue because of the sloping, printed black inner bezels, because there’s just too much risk of making an unholy mess.
    I know that my Panerai have flat sapphire crystals with ‘L’ profile nylon/Teflon type gaskets and they are not visually obvious. Clearly I would have to use a marginally smaller crystal to allow room for the gasket.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Thanks Bob. Yes, they’re all simple, round crystals. I haven’t removed any of them yet, so can only get a rough measurement of the diameter and obviously can’t measure the thickness. Assuming I can get the correct size, would it be advisable to get a crystal and gasket combo, even though I’m fairly sure there was no gasket originally? I would like them to look original, or at least very close. I’m also very wary of using a glue because of the sloping, printed black inner bezels, because there’s just too much risk of making an unholy mess.
    I know that my Panerai have flat sapphire crystals with ‘L’ profile nylon/Teflon type gaskets and they are not visually obvious. Clearly I would have to use a marginally smaller crystal to allow room for the gasket.
    I have no view on whether you are better off using a gasket. It depends on how you trade off various features such as functionality and originality.

Other things being equal, I would use a crystal with a gasket. If I were trying to be as "authentic" as possible, I would use glue, if it had had glue (working as a gasket); simple. friction fit, if that's what it had had, .... But, then, if I were trying for that level of authenticity, I wouldn't be changing crystal material.

Best wishes,
    Bob