closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A pocket watch SOTC

A pocket watch SOTC

I've posted in here a few times over the years about various pocket watches and thought that the following might be of interest to some.

Due to sensory issues i quite often have to take a break from wearing a conventional wrist watch. At these times I carry a pocket watch as I dislike looking at my mobile telephone to check the time and I like to have a watch of some description on me in any case.

I find pocket watches aesthetically pleasing and also related to the aforementioned sensory issues I am driven to keep my hands moving. A pocket watch to hold and move my fingers over is much better than one of those stereotypical 'fidget' spinners. Fellow spectrum community members will know where I am coming from.

This episode of not being able to wear a wrist watch has lasted far longer than previous ones, to the extent that I have been increasing my collection of pocket watches lately.

I have added a display board to the bureau that I use when working from home so that I can look at them as often as I like. I find this calming. I particularly like the desynchronized ticking which is quite loud. So much so that I have taken to leaving the bureau open during the night so that I can drift off to sleep with this in my ears. I wouldn't like it if the ticking was synchronized though.

There is nothing very exotic, rare or expensive here but each of these pieces has something about it that I find appealing, either in looks or how the case feels in my hand.

This 1960's Ingersoll was less than 20 GPB on eBay. It keeps good time, has a good power reserve and is very presentable. I like the sweeping second hand.

Of a similar era is this long stem Smiths, whilst still not that rare these longer stem ones aren't quite as common. I find the dial a little plain but the case had a lovely shape. Another sweeping second hand.

Another long stem piece here, this time branded as an Ingersoll. I find the sub second dial and lumed hands more visually engaging on this one.

Here is a white dial Ingersoll. Another sweeping second hand model the simple clean white dial and red second hand kind or remind me of a clinical instrument.

I really like how these Smiths Empire models with their plastic dial inserts look. Its nice to be able to track one down that isnt badly scuffed or not working. This is a nice example that took me a while to find.

Ive posted about this Omega De Ville previously. its a step up in quality from the previous pieces and keeps excellent time. A more modern take on things, this one is from the 70's. Its very slim and slips into a jeans pocket very easily.

Another familiar piece here, a CWC. Ive posted about this one quite a few times. Its probably the most aesthetically pleasing of them all to me and the largish but comparatively slim case feels lovely. I really like the fact that you can still buy these new.

This Mondaine is another long time favourite. The quarz movement might be anathema to some but it doesn't worry me. Compact and very legible. Im not so keen on the case profile which I find a little boxy. I think that production of these may have ceased.

And finally, something a little more unusual - a Soviet era Elektronika 5 LCD model. Small diameter case at 40mm but still quite chunky. No clever functions with this - just the time and if you ouch the lower button the day and month.

I find that the dial reminds me of the Omega 186.0004 LCD Speedmaster that I used to own - one of the few watches that I miss after selling it on and something that I will never own again due to the way values have risen.

Ian

Master
    That's a really nice collection Ian.

I have thought of purchasing one myself, but I don't wear a waist coat these days.

Lovely. This is something I've been thinking about getting into and you may have inspired me. I have a couple already, so it's a start. Compared to the wristwatch market, these seem such good value.

A nice collection V.

I've got a few I've picked up over the years but they never leave their boxes.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I fully agree with MADDOG and John above, this is a really nice collection with some variety and features of interest in these pieces.

I was thinking a few days ago about getting a pocket watch too, for a bit of horoloical fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great post!

I’m very keen for a pocket watch to wear with my kilt but honestly don’t know where to start.

Well that's a refreshing different themed SOTC, really like that Elektronika as I can't remember ever seeing a digital pocket watch before, certainly quirky.

I've been tempted by one of those CWC pocket watches for years now, but as I'm always wearing a wristwatch(I wouldn't feel right without one after all these years) a pocket watch would be wasted on me. Very cool thing though.

I also have the same Ingersoll (first one you show, top right on the presentation board). It was my grandads pocket watch for which I have no history beyond my memories. Sadly the Lyme has partly dropped out of the minute hand so need to see about getting it sympathetically restored somehow (suggestions welcomed).

Lovely collection also.

I really like the look of that Mondaine, it's the pick of the group for me. Cool collection!

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    That's a really nice collection Ian.

I have thought of purchasing one myself, but I don't wear a waist coat these days.
    Thanks.

I dont own a waist coat - I wear them in my jeans pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Lovely. This is something I've been thinking about getting into and you may have inspired me. I have a couple already, so it's a start. Compared to the wristwatch market, these seem such good value.
    Yes, very good value. The Omega was less than half the price of a comparable wrist watch.

A pocket watch SOTC

I really like those Ian, especially the Smiths and Ingersolls. I don’t know if you’ve tried to identify the model numbers (or are interested in them). The last Smiths looks like a Y155/W as far as I can see.

I can’t find any long stem pocket watches in ‘the Book’. The black dial Smiths reminds me a little of this, which is technically a cockpit clock from WW1. The long stem allowed it to be wound in situ in the cockpit. Maybe the Smiths long stem pocket watches had a similar use - car/travel clock etc.

Great to see anyway. I only have one Smiths pocket watch, maybe I’ll start looking again...

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a lovely collection, given extra interest because you are still using them as intended

That’s a nice collection
    I love a pocket watch but they are just not practical for me
    I only have one another JLC GSTP

I sometimes wear it in a leather cuff but its a bit big and looks to be prone to damage when I do

lovely collection - really like the CWC!

My GSTP collection, all gone now as the fun was in finding them, after which they just sat in a box.

The Smiths - Morrisey, Johnny Marr... The black one is a car watch, it came with a magnet on the back so you could attach it to the metal dashboard of your Morris Minor or Ford Anglia.

Particularly fond of this tuxedo dialled Ingersoll, made in Wales, look you.

By the way, for those who don't wear waistcoats it is also acceptable for a gentleman to carry a pocket watch in the outside breast pocket of a jacket with the chain tethered to the boutonnière of the lapel; Victor Gauntlett, former MD of Aston Martin was famous for sporting a pocket watch in this way in addition to wearing a wristwatch.

Craftsman
    My small military collection;

Elgin HS3 Deck Watch (manufactured during WWII) with its direct replacement from 1980 the CWC G10 Nav.

Waltham Royal Navy Pocket Watches (manufactured during WWII) both these examples have been refurbished post WWII for reissue, one with Tritium dial and hands and the other Non-Lum. Unusually both shared the same NSN.

Possibly the very last pocket watch issued to the Royal Navy, CWC non-lum dated 1996 and with the highest known s/n of 050.

Excellent thread Ian. I especially like the CWC-may have to look for one of those.

I used to wear pocket watches on a short chain with the T bar in a shirt buttonhole and the watch in the shirt top pocket.

One amusing moment when I was a regular on the conference speaking circuit was when an older chap came up to me at the end, extended his pen to lift my watch chain, and uttered the immortal words “does that have your todger on the end of it?”

At the time I was travelling almost weekly and that was what brought my pocket watch wearing days to an end. They used to set off airport metal detectors so I’d remove them and leave them in the tray. Until the time a menopausal harridan at Ronaldsway Airport security thought it would be a good idea to empty my tray contents, watch included, onto a hard table from a height of around 18 inches. Predictably my (reasonable) remonstration led to an (unreasonable) threat to have airport security arrest me. I resolved there and then not to wear my pocket watches when travelling.

On that very trip, in 1997, I visited a dealer in Chiswick and came away with my first Airking. And so began this particular illness.

Ian - is the CWC an issued one or did it come direct from Silvermans?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

By the way, for those who don't wear waistcoats it is also acceptable for a gentleman to carry a pocket watch in the outside breast pocket of a jacket with the chain tethered to the boutonnière of the lapel; Victor Gauntlett, former MD of Aston Martin was famous for sporting a pocket watch in this way in addition to wearing a wristwatch.

This is how I wear mine. I sometimes explain that the chain is to secure my pochette which normally returns either a withering look or one of complete bewilderment
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

This thread is awesome. I have absolutely no use for a pocket watch but I would really like to have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

This is how I wear mine. I sometimes explain that the chain is to secure my pochette which normally returns either a withering look or one of complete bewilderment
    Supplied new from Silvermans!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I have mostly 18th century PWs because I love the slow tick of the verge movement. However here is a Williamson military-issued lever, with its case covered in a kind of non-reflective coating. Apparently this was quite common as a safety precaution.

Picked this quartz Mondaine up from sc & I love the way the dial is set at 90 degrees from the stem.

Blog Entries
    Love that Ian. Some lovely pocket watches you have and I love the smiths especially. Its like a prs-29 wall clock on that hook!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Forgot to say - I really like the inscription on the case back with MOD arrow, serial number and makers details etc.

Yes. That is rather jolly.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Agreed, I've considered one many times but never got round to buying one.
    I do like the look of them and will buy one at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Collector View Post
    This thread is awesome. I have absolutely no use for a pocket watch but I would really like to have one

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

A really fine collection Ian. I have a few myself and must get round to taking more photographs of them as I can no longer link to the ones I put on Photobucket!

Here's my favourite, a Waterbury Series N from 1890 which my Father carried with him throughout WW2.

The gold chain was my Grandfathers.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I became quite interested in American railroad watches a while ago. There are some exquisite movements inside them, still keeping great time even at a good age. I never got as far as buying one, but it's an interesting byway of this hobby to meander down. I want one again now.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    A really fine collection Ian. I have a few myself and must get round to taking more photographs of them as I can no longer link to the ones I put on Photobucket!

Here's my favourite, a Waterbury Series N from 1890 which my Father carried with him throughout WW2.

The gold chain was my Grandfathers.
    That is spectacular and what history it has?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely collection I used to have quite a few but sold most of them. Roy Taylor of RLT used to sell some lovely NOS Smiths pocket watches a few years ago.

This is one I think was intended for the Turkish market (Export) It has a crescent engraved on the inner case which a few Turkish (Ottoman and early republic) Exports seemed to have.

I also have a Hamilton with its original box and papers, I use it as a desk clock sometimes. I just need to find a photo!

Love the Elektronika Ian.

Here's my digital pocket watch:

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

I really like that.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

That’s fabulous. The only similar one on eBay looks to be quite expensive...

My pocket watches never get worn, but they are used daily as clocks.

The Steel Longines sits on my desk.

While the Silver Omega lives in the lounge.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 5th March 2021 at 10:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm new to this watch malarky but I do have a couple of (nothing special) pocket watches. I hadn't seen or thought of displaying them in a stand like that!

What a great idea - I'm going to get something like that and put it on my desk! Seems a shame to leave them in a drawer unused and unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've always thought a Hebdomas 8-day pocket watch would be ideal for that.