closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wristers of London

Blog Entries
    Searching DuckDuckGo doesn't help, the first thing to come up is this thread
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    What is the YouTube channel called please?
    Clockbait

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Clockbait
    They seem like watch enthusiasts and down to earth guys watching a few of there youtube videos.

I cannot help but think the youtube channel name 'Clockbait' would have been far more appropriate for the company though.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    ... I cannot help but think the youtube channel name 'Clockbait' would have been far more appropriate for the company though.
    Given that internet trolls call their inflammatory posts "bait" and "Wristers" puts you in mind of the sexually self-sufficient, I can't help feeling a more comprehensive rethink might be an idea - and maybe employ a better publicist than our little chum in this thread while they're at it...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not to bothered by the name, but I dont think insulting a huge UK watch forum was a particularly pragmatic move.

I had a look at the Instagram page - some really nice images and very professionally done. It must be really hard to build up a solid foundation where reputation is concerned and I can understand the hard work that's gone in so far. Personally, I couldn't care less what a company or seller names themselves - if they are trustworthy, reliable and offer decent prices then that's all that matters to me.

The problem is, you haven't endeared yourself or Wristers to this forum with your defensiveness or being personal in some of your responses to Chris. Maybe being friends with the owners has put you in a more delicate position and you're not able to respond as objectively as you might if this were not the case.

Your comment about forums not long for this world - well, I was a member of another watch forum and when the owner changed platforms to bring it more up-to-date, there was a significant drop in posts and threads. People like continuity and don't like change. To you this forum might look old, but I really like the appearance and functionality of it. I would also bet that it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular or busy if it went the route of a FB group.

Quote Originally Posted by clockbait_luke View Post
    You need help. Genuinely.

I’d very much like to know how I’ve blown myself or my friends.

The only negative thing I’ve said apart from commenting on your strange personality is saying the forum looks outdated. Which it most certainly does, if anyone thinks otherwise they’re deluded. Forums are not long for this world sadly, it’s why everyone seems to be slowly going over to the Facebook groups, sad reality but it’s a fact.

Absolutely shocking, how select people have come in here for a bit of keyboard bashing. Trivial in fact.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    New registrations are disabled.
    ahhhhhh, didnt realise

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not to bothered by the name, but I dont think insulting a huge UK watch forum was a particularly pragmatic move.
    Well said.

Threads like these can be very costly in lost custom.

Master
    It may well have been going 19 years, in fact it probably still looks the same as 19 years ago. Terrible looking forum. I doubt it’ll still be here 19 years.
    Jog on, then. We will try not to miss you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Forums are not long for this world sadly, it’s why everyone seems to be slowly going over to the Facebook groups, sad reality but it’s a fact.
    Just like the quartz crisis.

I suspect we'll be here discussing obsolete watches on an obsolete platform for a while yet.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

As an example of what happens to watch dealers when they piss off an entire watch forum, I give you....
    Page and Cooper!

I’d never come across (ooh-err missus) Wristers or their friend clockbait_luke before and it doesn’t look like the #1 fan is around anymore. However, he has managed to single handedly destroy their image in my highly imaginary mind. Shame, as it was all going so well until the insults started.

By the way, on the forums will be dead and buried before any of us make it to the other side.... Pistonheads? Singletrackworld? This one (accessible via the highly advanced Tapatalk thingy)? I suspect I could go on for a while longer but really can’t be bothered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ignore these trolls, I've reported them to the moderators for being so beastly, but the mods here are so slow, discussing everything endlessly before acting. However, as you know the chaps at Wristers, I was wondering if they can source me a PRS-48 Navigator?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post

I suspect we'll be here discussing obsolete watches on an obsolete platform for a while yet.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    That is definitely true on both counts. this version of V Bulletiin is horrendous, from a features pov and ease of navigating it is the worst forum I use.
    It has lots of redeeming features (the knowledge and content are excellent) but the forum software isn't one of them.

Apprentice
    You need help. Genuinely.

I’d very much like to know how I’ve blown myself or my friends.

The only negative thing I’ve said apart from commenting on your strange personality is saying the forum looks outdated. Which it most certainly does, if anyone thinks otherwise they’re deluded. Forums are not long for this world sadly, it’s why everyone seems to be slowly going over to the Facebook groups, sad reality but it’s a fact.

Absolutely shocking, how select people have come in here for a bit of keyboard bashing. Trivial in fact.
    I’m sorry, just reading this thread over a coffee in cafe and having an immature giggle or three.

Bit late to the party.....but...’Wristers’, ‘c*ockbait’ and now ‘I’ve blown myself or friends’...

Cracking read!

Apprentice
    Damn it.

I thought I'd bow out gracefully a page or so ago. But you know forums...

A couple of points to address.

Single-handedly destroying a business

Do you really think, since this is my friends business, that I wouldn't have consulted with them before posting anything? As previously noted, they are unable to post for themselves.

Signing up to shill their business

It was insinuated on page 1 that I signed up purely in response to the OP asking about Wristers. As a forum newbie (it's been a while) through post-count alone, I can see how that looks. But, internet detectives, I signed up back in July 20, and infrequently lurk.

The posting that day was purely coincidental. It was my birthday recently (thank you), and I received an email greeting from TZ. Combine this with my new watch purchase, and I decided to pop on with the intention of putting up some pictures, with the sole rational of gaining gratification from strangers on the internet. It just so happened that I noticed this thread and replied.

Forum

1 - I get it, you're protective of your platform. I'm a member of numerous other forums, one of which I still post on pretty much daily. It's not necessarily the purpose of forums I was having a dig at - the knowledge alone can be invaluable - but as stated above the functionality and UI of this version of vbulletin is simply outdated. I appreciate that, for those of you that are used to the platform it would be the norm, but regardless, it is outdated.

2 - The fact you you need to be a member for 'x' amount of days prior to posting is madness, especially in situations like this. If the guys at Wristers were allowed to post for themselves, this whole thread/debacle may have gone another way. I don't doubt however, the same trolls would have surfaced.

For those of you who have offered genuine constructive criticism, thank you. All points have been noted and actioned, especially surrounding the website, which went live last week and you would expect teething problems. As stated previously, the name was/is intentional, and if you would refuse to buy a watch due to that, fair enough. You're not the target demographic. If, however, it gave you a smirk then it's worked ;) (as a side note to the comment above, I did LOL when I noticed blowing myself/my friends too).

For the rest of you, give it a rest eh? Have a breather, and realise that if you keep on typing so hard, those little white gloves you're wearing may start to fray... ;)

Thomas Reid
    Thread free association results.

Quote Originally Posted by People are strange/The Doors
    People are strange when you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly when you're alone
    Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
    Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain
    When you're strange
    No one remembers your name
    When you're strange
    When you're strange
    When you're strange
    Best wishes,
    Bob

I stayed out of this until now, but what the hell, join them if you can't fight them...

A few pointers for next time you want to "promote your friends".

1) Do your homework
    It is ambitious to go for the largest forum in the UK from the word "go". I know that the title of the thread pulled you in, but you might have been better off starting with smaller forums.

2) Do not presume on your abilities
    You say you post on some forums daily, yet the way you interacted with us was probably as bad as you could have done. That would be bad enough, and would follow you for some time here before things went back to normal if you were just a new member. But unfortunately your attitude also tainted your friends.

3) learn to use a forum, and how it works before you criticise it.
    Yes the interface is a bit dated. But newer ones also come with bugs, constrains and the transition itself can damage the database. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3bis) and how it's run
    The reason your friends cannot join is because the owner has other, more important things to do at the moment than accepting anyone who wants to join. It doesn't bother us because a) we're already here and b) it keeps the forum safer, even if it's not foolproof.

Now you managed to alienate most of those you interacted with, and ruined for the moment the name of your friends' business; it means you've mostly cut them from possibly the largest online watch community in the UK. I am sure they're grateful.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Damn it.

I thought I'd bow out gracefully a page or so ago. But you know forums...
    Im assuming you are Luke from the Clockbait youtube videos or is the name just a coincidence?

The fact you you need to be a member for 'x' amount of days prior to posting is madness...
    As you seem to be au fait with this forum can you tell us what x=?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Jog on, then. We will try not to miss you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Wrister one’s off?

Luke, think of it this way.

Companies spend millions of pounds on ad campaigns. It's a bit hit and miss as only a small proportion of the audience buy watches regularly. Some people aren't interested in watches. Then some of those who are interested aren't committed enough to buy. Then some of those who aren't committed enough to buy are difficult to reach.

Finding a group of watch enthusiasts in one place is useful because if you make a good impression, you've saved yourself a lot of marketing budget.

If you annoy that group though, it's not just that group that hears about it. Many members here are members of other forums. Word spreads.

The other thing you seem to be overlooking is that this format is something that works for a certain group. Just because you think FB is good doesn't mean your audience does.

I wish you well but relax a little and listen to your audience.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Thread free association results.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Top tune from Mr Mojo Risin', one of the greats.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A few pointers for next time you want to "promote your friends".

1) Do your homework
    It is ambitious to go for the largest forum in the UK from the word "go". I know that the title of the thread pulled you in, but you might have been better off starting with smaller forums.
    Firstly, in regards to promoting, I posted in this thread in response to the OP's question surrounding the legitimacy of Wristers. I did no more in that post than confirm that they are a real company, and that yes, I know the owners, but am also a customer.

Unless I'm completely missing something here, I can't see how I could have done this on a 'smaller' forum, since the question was asked on this one?

2) Do not presume on your abilities
    You say you post on some forums daily, yet the way you interacted with us was probably as bad as you could have done. That would be bad enough, and would follow you for some time here before things went back to normal if you were just a new member. But unfortunately your attitude also tainted your friends.
    I agree with you here, but one of the inherent issues with forums in general is the general perception that post count = importance. Because I am a newbie here, my lack of post count understandably goes against my credibility, but bizarrely goes against me being able to defend both myself and my friends business.

3) learn to use a forum, and how it works before you criticise it.

Yes the interface is a bit dated. But newer ones also come with bugs, constrains and the transition itself can damage the database. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3bis) and how it's run
    The reason your friends cannot join is because the owner has other, more important things to do at the moment than accepting anyone who wants to join. It doesn't bother us because a) we're already here and b) it keeps the forum safer, even if it's not foolproof.

Now you managed to alienate most of those you interacted with, and ruined for the moment the name of your friends' business; it means you've mostly cut them from possibly the largest online watch community in the UK. I am sure they're grateful.
    In regards to 3b, my point is that it just seems a bit backwards that a company can be discussed, in a degrading way in some cases, by people who have had no prior dealings with them, and not have the ability to sign up to answer some of the questions/feedback. But rules is rules!

I'm quite happy to alienate myself from a few people on a watch forum, at the trade off of me being able to kick back at some of the trolls. It's a big forum, no doubt, but I've managed to enjoy this hobby and get involved with the community pretty well so far without it. As I previously mentioned, nothing posted by me when it comes to Wristers was done without prior consult. I know you're a 20k+ poster, but the sheer arrogance to assume the an entire forum (yes, it's a large place, I know...) has been put off a company due to me irritating a few long-standing members is fairly blinkered.

The ironic thing is that by posting now, I'm getting used to the forum. I've only had to type this out twice due to bugs ;)

The bugs are not with the software as we don't have the issue. Look closer to home.

First, you are completely missing something in regards to a smaller forum: you took on promoting them in this thread. Had you stopped at your first answer, all would be fine. When you decided to endorse them further is when you should have tried your hand elsewhere first. You may be extremely successful at what you do but it's clearly not marketing on a forum.

Forum, and social media in general, have that privilege to make or undo a company, at least in words. We can express our opinion here. The initial question was not a negative one. That you let yourself be dragged into a confrontation was perfectly foreseeable: you claim they are friends and that you are a client, your chosen name reeks of a YouTube channel. If Wristers asked you to step in they get what they deserve. If they didn't you probably will have to apologise to them.

You have been a member for over 6 months yet hardly had a post to your name. Your attitude show you were hardly reading anything because if you had you would have learnt.

The failings in the way they show themselves to a casual visitor have been highlighted. Likewise, I believe it's good they fully endorse their choice of name because it's in my view very poor. Not everyone can pull off a French Connection UK stunt, and it makes them look like smart alecs, not just smart. Those watch amateurs who want to be looked down on when purchasing a watch go to their Rolex/Patek AD.

(typed only once, like 100% of my other posts)

Blog Entries

The ironic thing is that by posting now, I'm getting used to the forum. I've only had to type this out twice due to bugs ;)
    Listen carefully, I''ll type this only once.

The bugs are probably due to you still using your Sinclair Spectrum.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

One thing is for sure I am certain your responses on here will have lost Wristers / Clockbait as few sales from forum members.

If it were my company I would not be one bit happy.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

If it were my company I would not be one bit happy.
    I expect they were hoping to make a decent 'fist' of it ;)

I don't get the Instagram model.

And I like this place exactly how it is. No dog in the fight but the sales approach is narrow.

I think he is funny.

*****I'm quite happy to alienate myself from a few people on a watch forum, at the trade off of me being able to kick back at some of the trolls. It's a big forum, no doubt, but I've managed to enjoy this hobby and get involved with the community pretty well so far without it. As I previously mentioned, nothing posted by me when it comes to Wristers was done without prior consult. I know you're a 20k+ poster, but the sheer arrogance to assume the an entire forum (yes, it's a large place, I know...) has been put off a company due to me irritating a few long-standing members is fairly blinkered.
    The ironic thing is that by posting now, I'm getting used to the forum. I've only had to type this out twice due to bugs ;)[/QUOTE]*****

For me, I read this with interest, first thing I did was to checkout “wristlets” nice pics, but that’s all really.
    I just don’t get the Instagram business model, gratuitous glossy pics with no specs, prices or anything else, how is that going to work?
    The whole package just puts me off
    Last edited by Neilw3030; 2nd March 2021 at 17:27.

Perhaps we should have some sort of roll-call, those who are put off by the name "Wristers" and those who aren't. Maybe a sub category, those who are put off by the rabid yelping of someone with an interest in the business.

The alternative theory is that he is from a rival, and wants to destroy them before they can gain any traction. Seems more likely, as he cannot actually be trying to help them surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Perhaps we should have some sort of roll-call, those who are put off by the name "Wristers" and those who aren't. Maybe a sub category, those who are put off by the rabid yelping of someone with an interest in the business.
    The name "Wristers" makes me think of this. One does need a sense of humour on this forum.
    F.T.F.A.

Wristers of London

Think it’s safe to assume that the Wristers don’t consider watch nerds on a forum to be their target market - and they are probably right. There is no way id be coaxed into parting with 5k to an unknown entity on the basis of some glossy insta shots. Maybe they have someone lined up to name drop them on Love Island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by enndriz; 2nd March 2021 at 15:10.

Master
    I suspect we are not their target audience and so are not too worried, however if you do a nslookup on their domain there are no contact details, combined with a mobile only contact number and the fact this thread is the first non promoted hit in Google if it were my project I’d be looking at damage limitation now.

After all this might be an outdated forum, likely heading the way of the dodo, but most of us here still recall the old maxim ‘Don’t buy the watch, buy the seller...’

Is this a good time to repost this?

removed
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2nd March 2021 at 17:47.

Clockbait_luke

By associating yourself with Wrister and informing them of this thread and then pasting their reply you have presented yourself as an ambassador for the company. If you do this you need to be a more diplomatic. Being relatively new and with a low post count nobody will be used to your humour/reply/comment style. You're coming across as combative.

This thread is in the public part of the forum and if you Google search the company this thread comes up.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 2nd March 2021 at 15:58.

Is this a good time to repost this?
    Might not be a good place.
    F.T.F.A.

... Do you really think, since this is my friends business, that I wouldn't have consulted with them before posting anything? ...
    On most forums I use, an open admission like this that you are shilling for a business would get you permabanned on the spot, it certainly betrays your arrogance that you admit it and expect some other response.

And a hearty "well-done" to you, countless people - most with no axe to grind and who understand very well how forums and businesses work have tried to tell you you are harming your chums business, and yet here you still are, conceitedly irritating an ever-wider audience!

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

Quote **After all this might be an outdated forum, likely heading the way of the dodo, but most of us here still recall the old maxim ‘Don’t buy the watch, buy the seller...’****[/QUOTE]

I dont know why but i read this the first time as " dildo " not dodo, howled with laughter, then put my glasses on and saw it wasnt

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is Dido still going?

She was shafted by her record company.

Blog Entries
    Well that went well for @dickbaitluke and The Wristlers......not.

I did have a quick look but couldn't find a website or anything with stock and prices. Is it just a few photos on Instagram? (sorry can't be rrrsed to read the whole thread to find out!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Is Dido still going?

**shuffles off to Google to look for a suitable anus joke**
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Clockwomble and the Wristers

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wazza; 2nd March 2021 at 19:17.

Dido's Lament - "I could have won more than two Brit Awards."

Very good

Master
    Blog Entries
    I confess to being both naive and embarrassed by this thread - I thought wristers were knitted fingerless wrist apparel (as worn in Victorian times).