closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any shooters here.

Hybrid View

Do we have any shooters here.

After a short lay off from shooting, about 35 years I have taken the hobby back up and bought a new air pistol, all the clubs seem to be shut for obvious reasons so have also bought a pellet catcher and had a few goes in the back garden, I cant for the life of me remember why I stopped, its a fantastic way to spend a couple of hours.

Master
    Yes , only Shotguns tho.

Master
    Yes. Love them. S1 firearms and Shotguns mostly. Looking forward to the ranges opening up again soon so I can try my new(ish) AR15.

Craftsman
    What air pistol did you buy?

I have been a keen air pistol shooter for many years.
    Think it’s one of the most difficult of all the shooting sports.

Master
    I've shot a little in the past, mainly shotgun and interested in starting again. I contacted my local club and then Covid happened. Hoping they have some spaces in the summer. I'm planning to try air pistol and rifle this time.

I went for the Sig Sauer P226 due to the blowback actually cocking the pistol and not for show.

Do any of you shoot pigeons?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    You won’t find the murderer that easy I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    You won’t find the murderer that easy I’m afraid.
    Murderer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I used to. When I was in Germany many years ago I often went out shooting pigeons with a German friend. We would sit in a hide and wait till they landed then blast away, we would regularly bag upto a 100 a day and Deitrich's mother would cook up roast pigeon, pigeon pie, pigeon soup, pigeon bloody everything.
    I've done a bit in UK but I went off killing things, although I've got no qualms about it I don't really enjoy eating what I kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    I went for the Sig Sauer P226 due to the blowback actually cocking the pistol and not for show.
    Nice one - I had a real P226 back in the day before handguns got banned, fabulous pistol.

Have a couple CO2 lurking around incl. a full auto M4 carbine which remains unfired.

I shoot mainly shotgun but the lockdown gave me the opportunity to dig the old air rifle out and have a plink .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    50m rifle, to international level. Semi retired now - kids mess up the travel / time requirements to be competing at that level

Still do a little centrefire pistol

This is the 50m rifle range at Bisley

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    50m rifle, to international level. Semi retired now - kids mess up the travel / time requirements to be competing at that level

Still do a little centrefire pistol

This is the 50m rifle range at Bisley

Thats some kit

Master

If anyone is considering buying a field target rifle I may be interested in selling mine. It’s completely unique and was designed and assembled for me by Simon Gibbon when he was with Daystate.

Custom stock, knee rest, tripod Mount, shoulder hook, perfect adjustable trigger. Currently fitted with a leopold parallaxing scope modified to x50 premier reticles and big wheel.

When I started using it I won, I moved to london and now I can use it.

Don’t have a price yet but it cost me over £2.5k

Last edited by joe narvey; 27th February 2021 at 20:29.

Craftsman
    My air gun trip started with the Gat gun when I was probably 10, 11 years old. I'm sure we can all remember these.
    and since then my love of them ain't stopped since.
    As you can tell I love the military style guns and over the years I've had some cracking guns.

Here is just a few what I have owned in the past.
    From a gun power Stealth, to full scale replica of an air soft AR15 to a HK Co2.
    I know now we have a lot of limits placed on us but if you have a good size garden and some proper pellet stops set up there is some great guns our there for plinking.

And to end with was the biggest gun of all! But minus the rocket obviously!!

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    My air gun trip started with the Gat gun when I was probably 10, 11 years old. I'm sure we can all remember these.
    and since then my love of them ain't stopped since.
    As you can tell I love the military style guns and over the years I've had some cracking guns.

Here is just a few what I have owned in the past.
    From a gun power Stealth, to full scale replica of an air soft AR15 to a HK Co2.
    I know now we have a lot of limits placed on us but if you have a good size garden and some proper pellet stops set up there is some great guns our there for plinking.

And to end with was the biggest gun of all! But minus the rocket obviously!!

In my years in the army I have used the Sig for a brief few minutes, but I did get time with the ultimate assault rifle ever produced, albeit a heavy walk around, the SLR then the Government decided a smaller round was the order so we all got the SA-80 plastic fantastic, very quiet and in my opinion shite, but it fired and thats all that counted, my absolute favourite was the GPMG so long as I wasnt carrying it lol but the SLR was a beast, if it hit target, target stopped, simple and effective

Craftsman
    The SLR was a great rifle.
    The MK1 SA80 was not fit for purpose although the upgrades have made it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    In my years in the army I have used the Sig for a brief few minutes, but I did get time with the ultimate assault rifle ever produced, albeit a heavy walk around, the SLR then the Government decided a smaller round was the order so we all got the SA-80 plastic fantastic, very quiet and in my opinion shite, but it fired and thats all that counted, my absolute favourite was the GPMG so long as I wasnt carrying it lol but the SLR was a beast, if it hit target, target stopped, simple and effective

The SLR was a great rifle.
    The MK1 SA80 was not fit for purpose although the upgrades have made it better.
    Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the insistence in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The SA80 sums up British government procurement in one single project. A total disaster, a project led by people that had no idea on the subject or any real idea on what they are trying to achieve, appointing people who have no experience in designing the product they want to end up with.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th February 2021 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the instance in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The SA80 sums up British government procurement in one single project. A total disaster, a project led by people that had no idea on the subject or any real idea on what they are trying to achieve, appointing people who have no experience in designing the product they want to end up with.
    The Lee Enfield was a great training rifle for me, it introduced me to big recoil, the SLR was my ultimate weapon, (I called it my gun once.........my corporal learned me my mistake) it was always my weapon of choice, 7.62 ball round stopped anything you pointed it at.

Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the instance in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The government wanted to go with a weapon that was humane, it would hit the enemy and put him down, taking two others to tend to the fallen soldier and take him away, hence taking three men away from a battle instead of a kill shot and taking one man out, hence the introduction of the 5.56 and SA-80
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 27th February 2021 at 22:20.

Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the insistence in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    Anyone here have any experience with a SLR?

Master
    AYA No.2 Sidelock

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Only air powered now.

The pistol is an Original 6M recoilless spring gun, love shooting it, but parts are hard to come by.

I have a rifle that’s work in progress, I’ll have to take some photos of that.

Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    Only air powered now.

The pistol is an Original 6M recoilless spring gun, love shooting it, but parts are hard to come by.

I have a rifle that’s work in progress, I’ll have to take some photos of that.
    Wow, I have my beady eye on another so have put a couple of watches on the chopping block to fund it.

I use a BSA Ultra Multi for targets (with the kids), squirrel control, and (rarely now) rabbits for eating.
    The move to PCP from a springer (previously) was night and day. It is a matter of ease to put pellet on pellet at anything up to 25m with a PCP.
    D

Start of the last lock down I treated myself to a Weihrauch HW97KT Synthetic Blued .177 Air Rifle withOptisan EVX MIL MH10X - 4-16x44i for a bit of garden plinking. Complete overkill but I disappeared down the get the best I could rabbit hole.

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...-rifle-177/257

Trouble is I never realised how loud it is so I can't really use it in the garden. Luckily I've a tandam length garage so can plink in there but it's not the same.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I used to do a bit of FT and still have a BSA Supersport here but haven't had it out of the bag for years as I won't kill anything and target shooting just got a bit boring TBH.

My interest is always piqued when in the US though as the range of pieces even in Academy Sports is fabulous and prices low, great for home defence.

My son and AR15.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Air rifles here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Another “shooter here”, I mostly just do deer culling these days with a .308, but have a 22-250 and .22 for pest control.
    Shotguns I just use for winged pests or once a month straw bailer in Dorset.

Master
    I did briefly hold the Guinness World Record for the Fastest 25 Clays Broken and still to this day am officially the fastest with an over and under, raised a good chunk for a cancer charity in the process.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I did briefly hold the Guinness World Record for the Fastest 25 Clays Broken and still to this day am officially the fastest with an over and under, raised a good chunk for a cancer charity in the process.
    Ooh, how does that work?
    I have seen people doing it with a semi auto, where a reloader is popping a cartridge in after each shot. But never seen it done on an over under.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Ooh, how does that work?
    I have seen people doing it with a semi auto, where a reloader is popping a cartridge in after each shot. But never seen it done on an over under.
    We made this video on the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-c...ustinOwenVideo

The times have tumbled to around 30 seconds now with the use of a semi, the rules were a bit basic, only 2 shells in the gun, shop bought shells, and a couple of other simple ones.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Another “shooter here”, I mostly just do deer culling these days with a .308, but have a 22-250 and .22 for pest control.
    Shotguns I just use for winged pests or once a month straw bailer in Dorset.
    i used to do a lot of culling in Scotland - started with a .270 which i hated and then moved to .308 because its so versatile

i'm now back in Notts and something needs to be done as populations are out of control especially muntjac - bloody things are walking down the roads and causing accidents

i hit one about 100yds from my house - thank God i drive a Range Rover and the car suffered no damage - but the deer was so smashed it was not suitable for the kitchen

muntjac is superb eating - best of the lot but roe comes a close second

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post

muntjac is superb eating - best of the lot but roe comes a close second
    we do a roast haunch as it’s decent size for 2, usually though I make biltong from my muntjac as it’s delicious

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    we do a roast haunch as it’s decent size for 2, usually though I make biltong from my muntjac as it’s delicious
    shame you have to shoot it or buy from a game dealer - as said previously round here they are a real pest

fallow are also getting out of control because the big estates refuse to allow pretty much any culling because its 'politically sensitive' - we also have red deer in notts on same estates

lets be honest - deer are a pest without predator control they run riot - and yes, its a problem caused by humans killing the natural predators

look at Yellowstone - the elk were out of control and destroying habitat before wolves were reintroduced and now the Yellowstone eco system is improving
    Last edited by nick h; 8th March 2021 at 09:58.

Master
    I lived in The US for almost 5 years. I drank great beer and didn’t own a gun. Go figure. However I do regret not taking the opportunity to go to a firing range.

Master
    I've just spent anbhour or so with my Weirhauch 97k. First time I've shot it in a year but still perfectly true without any sighting adjustment needed. Got to be the best spring under lever jobbies out there.

Having learned how to post pictures...

My HW77 that I bought new in August 1985, I still have and use it.

The Feinwerkbau 601, single stroke pneumatic target rifle.

My Theoben Fenman with a long barrel for the .20 calibre (10" instead of 8"), Dave Theobald built it for me in April 1994.

The Anschutz LG380 that I use for bell target shooting. We had an away match last evening at the Vernon Arms in Spondon, we just pipped them!

Is yours a high crime area?

Not a judgement, a genuine question.

Someone (British) I know moved to the US and ended up with a crack den next door and someone in their house one night and zero police response.

They became very keen on owning guns for self defence after that, which I can understand, but I imagine most people don't have such first hand experience to motivate them.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Crikey Pacific, who you expecting to intrude your house?
    They look like they'd stop Arnie terminator T1000

Fair dinkum, serious bit of kit.

I hope you never have to fire one off, be safe buddy

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Crikey Pacific, who you expecting to intrude your house?
    They look like they'd stop Arnie terminator T1000

Fair dinkum, serious bit of kit.

I hope you never have to fire one off, be safe buddy

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Nicky!

Picked this up recently...177 lovely rifle.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just picked up this cracker, FX Dreamtac.
    Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

Just picked up this cracker, FX Dreamtac.
    Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

I recently picked up a MK3 Impact...superb rifles.

My father decided it's about time to have a bit of a clear out and gave me this to look after - a nice little Feinwerkbau Model 90:

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    My father decided it's about time to have a bit of a clear out and gave me this to look after - a nice little Feinwerkbau Model 90:

Oh my,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    That is a lovely mint pistol
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

Craftsman
    It was a choice between this and the AGT Vixen, both superb rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I recently picked up a MK3 Impact...superb rifles.

I had the first new arrival in a while last week
    Not had a chance to try it yet.
    It’s the full fat version in .44 magnum