closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have any shooters here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    The SLR was a great rifle.
    The MK1 SA80 was not fit for purpose although the upgrades have made it better.
    Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the insistence in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The SA80 sums up British government procurement in one single project. A total disaster, a project led by people that had no idea on the subject or any real idea on what they are trying to achieve, appointing people who have no experience in designing the product they want to end up with.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th February 2021 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the instance in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The SA80 sums up British government procurement in one single project. A total disaster, a project led by people that had no idea on the subject or any real idea on what they are trying to achieve, appointing people who have no experience in designing the product they want to end up with.
    The Lee Enfield was a great training rifle for me, it introduced me to big recoil, the SLR was my ultimate weapon, (I called it my gun once.........my corporal learned me my mistake) it was always my weapon of choice, 7.62 ball round stopped anything you pointed it at.

I think about going back to it sometimes since i still have thousands of pellets from the days when they were 5 times less cost than now lol.

The trouble in the UK is the laws make it a massive PITA to get the licences and everything that goes with it.

If you can get a licence with 22LR rifle and know of farmers who want rabbit control then your having a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    Have you controlled any in the last 24hrs
    Nothing since 2020! No 'perms' at the moment so rely on invites and the like :)

Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the instance in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    The government wanted to go with a weapon that was humane, it would hit the enemy and put him down, taking two others to tend to the fallen soldier and take him away, hence taking three men away from a battle instead of a kill shot and taking one man out, hence the introduction of the 5.56 and SA-80
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 27th February 2021 at 22:20.

Lee Enfield are my favourite rifles, I have a couple and love them. I also have access to a Boer War era Lee Metford when I am in Africa for pest control.

The government wanted to go with a weapon that was humane, it would hit the enemy and put him down, taking two others to tend to the fallen soldier and take him away, hence taking three men away from a battle instead of a kill shot and taking one man out, hence the introduction of the 5.56 and SA-80
    That’s not quite true
    The US introduced the 5.56 in 65 with the Ar15 /M16 and they insisted that NATO use the same cartridge (having done the same in the 50s with the 7.62.)
    The UK MOD wanted to use the .280 cartridge in the EM2 but the US wanted the same ballistics as the 30-06 in an ‘intermediate’ cartridge hence 7.62x 51 which is the 30-06 in a shorter cartridge.
    When in Vietnam the 7.62 was found to be wanting, the M14 rifle in service was sh1te and unsuitable so they introduced the M16. Troops can carry lots more ammo in 5.56 which was the main driver in the adoption of the cartridge. It was also believed that the high velocity 5.56 offered better stopping power over the larger round. - incorrect especially when wearing body armour. It’s also easier for train soldiers to shoot as it has a much flatter trajectory, especially under 250 meters.
    The Russian 5.45 was introduced to increase wounds and therefore tie up resource getting injured of the battlefield. This round was designed from the outset to have a void in the bullet to cause the round to tumble on impact
    Sorry for the thread creep.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th February 2021 at 22:42.

That’s not quite true
    The US introduced the 5.56 in 65 with the Ar15 /M16 and they insisted that NATO use the same cartridge (having done the same in the 50s with the 7.62.)
    The UK MOD wanted to use the .280 cartridge in the EM2 but the US wanted the same ballistics as the 30-06 in an ‘intermediate’ cartridge hence 7.62x 51 which is the 30-06 in a shorter cartridge.
    When in Vietnam the 7.62 was found to be wanting, the M14 rifle in service was sh1te and unsuitable so they introduced the M16. Troops can carry lots more ammo in 5.56 which was the main driver in the adoption of the cartridge. It was also believed that the high velocity 5.56 offered better stopping power over the larger round. - incorrect especially when wearing body armour. It’s also easier for train soldiers to shoot as it has a much flatter trajectory, especially under 250 meters.
    The Russian 5.45 was introduced to increase wounds and therefore tie up resource getting injured of the battlefield.
    WIKIPEDIA...................Lets keep the thread as it was intended eh............I hated 5.56 and loved 7.62 and thats it, now back onto airguns

WIKIPEDIA...................Lets keep the thread as it was intended eh............I hated 5.56 and loved 7.62 and thats it, now back onto airguns
    Sorry didn’t realise the thread was specifically about air guns the title said shooting and you brought up the SA80 and a commonly recounted urban myth.

Yes, I shoot.

No pictures I can access or show but enjoying the thread.

Sorry didn’t realise the thread was specifically about air guns the title said shooting and you brought up the SA80 and a commonly recounted urban myth.
    Pedantic

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Yes, I shoot.

No pictures I can access or show but enjoying the thread.
    We can live without a pic, what you got.

That’s not quite true
    The Russian 5.45 was introduced to increase wounds and therefore tie up resource getting injured of the battlefield. This round was designed from the outset to have a void in the bullet to cause the round to tumble on impact
    In my experience with both, the M-14 was superior, at least in early years. We switched to the M-16 mid-tour, and it tended to jam due to the dirty conditions of Vietnam. Colt had to modify it to function under the extreme conditions...not before I came home, though.

Not wanting to court controversy or go in to politics (is G&D) but the SLR was an ok rifle but the original FN was better - the insistence in converting to inch pattern caused issues and was a pointless exercise.
    Anyone here have any experience with a SLR?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Not directly but I did get a few goes with the FN FAL.

Unpopular opinion, but I always preferred the SLR to be honest.

Yes L1A1 ultimate weapon imho
    Last edited by Dangermouse64; 27th February 2021 at 23:56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    that pistol is a thing of beauty ,did you mean this. ..i havent fired this cannon yet though..
    I’d actually forgotten you had that! Cracking thing.

It was the one below I was thinking of. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    you might find this youtube video interesting.the charge was several ounces of black powder and 12 ounces of shot.a light load in deference to its great age..https://youtu.be/MsT3j1E8tmE
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    This was my Anschutz 1413. I gave it away to a rifle club years ago. This was one of the first digital photos I ever took, in May 2000. I still have that camera (an Olympus C-21). The rifle range premises pictured here were right next to the river, under Blackfriars Bridge.

Master
    The SLR was a far better weapon than the original SA80 but as said before the current SA80 has become a good weapon system.

I was doing the small arms instructor course at Warminster in the early 80s when the SA80 was being introduced, it had its good points and bad points. Being a steel core bullet it didn’t deform as the 7.62 and did because of that doesn’t dissipate energy when it hits a target so yes it’s a good round but don’t drop a body anything like a 7.62 especially at distance which is why lots went back to the 7.62 in Afghan. Now if you want a good round to use you don’t need to look further then the .338 lapua.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes and the FN FAL
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th February 2021 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In my experience with both, the M-14 was superior, at least in early years. We switched to the M-16 mid-tour, and it tended to jam due to the dirty conditions of Vietnam. Colt had to modify it to function under the extreme conditions...not before I came home, though.
    I think this was a common experience of the M14 / M16 transition. The M14s wooden stock was not suited to the tropical climate, there were examples of it swelling and twisting which affected zero.
    The M16 did not do this as it was plastic, I understand they did not issue cleaning kits initially for the M16, nor were troops told how to care for it - the direct impingement action requires a bit more care when cleaning, plus a rumour abounded that the rifle was self cleaning, (not sure if you heard that rumour?) this lead to lots of stoppages in combat and unfortunately cost quite a few lives

The very first rifle I bought was a Mini 14 (M14 in 5.56) I still have it and it’s a good little rifle. A guy I shoot with has a UK legal M16 a2 made by Colt in all original condition. It’s a really nice rifle to shoot on a range, not sure I would want my life to depend on it though. It seems rather fragile.
    The BM59 (Italian version of M14) is quite a popular target rifle in the UK.

I current have Enfields and the Mini 14, full bore rifles. An STG44 in .22LR and Winchester under leaver in .44mag. for small bore shooting. I am down to one shot gun. A Rizzini multi choke as this does everything I need.
    My father in law Africa kindly bought me a Star 9mm for use there along with afore mentioned Metford and a 6.5 Bruno for pest control.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th February 2021 at 09:20.

I've been collecting vintage spring air rifles and pistols over the years.
    Here's part of my collection.

Feinwerkbau 300S is probably my favorite.

http://vintagespringairguns.blogspot.com/

Craftsman

Steyr Pro X

This is my latest air rifle. It’s a Steyr Pro X in .177 10 shot self indexing.

As the standard stock on Steyr’s is usually a very plain plank of wood. I commissioned a stock to be made by a chap called Warren Snaith.
    This wasn’t cheap. It’s exhibition grade Turkish Walnut. However, as the airgun had already costs just over £4000 with Sightron 10x44 scope and Hawke mounts, 5 spare mags, huggett silencer, adaptor and airforce bipod. I felt it was worth the extra investment.

Pretty pleased with the result.
    Sold my Sinn U50 and UX to help pay for it.

Last edited by Metalic Mud; 28th February 2021 at 11:19.

Yes, clays for me - last year I traded in my Kemen KM4 for a very good price and replaced it with an early Blaser F3 and a like new Caesar Guerini Maxxum; both 12 bore. In addition I have a Browning Cynergy 20 bore.

Due to lockdown have only managed one outing with each of the CG and Blaser.

That is very pretty Mettalic Mud the stock is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    This is my latest air rifle. It’s a Steyr Pro X in .177 10 shot self indexing.

As the standard stock on Steyr’s is usually a very plain plank of wood. I commissioned a stock to be made by a chap called Warren Snaith.
    This wasn’t cheap. It’s exhibition grade Turkish Walnut. However, as the airgun had already costs just over £4000 with Sightron 10x44 scope and Hawke mounts, 5 spare mags, huggett silencer, adaptor and airforce bipod. I felt it was worth the extra investment.

Pretty pleased with the result.
    Sold my Sinn U50 and UX to help pay for it.
    That is a rather special looking piece.

I do a bit of shooting with an air rifle (Air Arms S510) which is currently with my local gunsmith getting new seals.
    I also do some clays (couple of Beretta 12 gauge sporters and a Winchester 12 gauge trap).

Master
    I shoot, shotguns mostly, Miroku MK38 Grade 5 wood, 12g - although it's been a while now; so when I was furloughed last year I picked up this little BSA SE single shot .177; so different to the heavy old Weirauch HW35 I had back in the early 80's!

Blog Entries
    I have shot since I was a lad (11) and find it really relaxing. I mainly collect and shoot ex service rifles over iron sights.

I have thought about getting something similar, I am not a fan of gallery shooting but a black power pistol might make small bore a bit more interesting for me.
    My main club is a mixed discipline club so we shoot full bore, small bore, shotgun etc. So partake in most types of shooting and own a selection of weapons to use. I do prefer full bore longish range shooting though. (300-600m)
    You could always check out the nitro muzzleloaders which are less messy. Westlake and others do them. I have the .38 Westlake as well.

Only air powered now.

The pistol is an Original 6M recoilless spring gun, love shooting it, but parts are hard to come by.

I have a rifle that’s work in progress, I’ll have to take some photos of that.

Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    Only air powered now.

The pistol is an Original 6M recoilless spring gun, love shooting it, but parts are hard to come by.

I have a rifle that’s work in progress, I’ll have to take some photos of that.
    Wow, I have my beady eye on another so have put a couple of watches on the chopping block to fund it.

I use a BSA Ultra Multi for targets (with the kids), squirrel control, and (rarely now) rabbits for eating.
    The move to PCP from a springer (previously) was night and day. It is a matter of ease to put pellet on pellet at anything up to 25m with a PCP.
    D

Master
    I couldnt get it from my house using this

20210227_111808 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr
    That’s exactly the sort of gun I’d love to have for targets in the garden.

2 issues, firstly the wife is adamant I am not having a firearm in the house, secondly I’m overlooked by neighbours wherever I could use it. Annoying as used to love shooting them when I was growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start of the last lock down I treated myself to a Weihrauch HW97KT Synthetic Blued .177 Air Rifle withOptisan EVX MIL MH10X - 4-16x44i for a bit of garden plinking. Complete overkill but I disappeared down the get the best I could rabbit hole.

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...-rifle-177/257

Trouble is I never realised how loud it is so I can't really use it in the garden. Luckily I've a tandam length garage so can plink in there but it's not the same.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I used to do a bit of FT and still have a BSA Supersport here but haven't had it out of the bag for years as I won't kill anything and target shooting just got a bit boring TBH.

My interest is always piqued when in the US though as the range of pieces even in Academy Sports is fabulous and prices low, great for home defence.

My son and AR15.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You could always check out the nitro muzzleloaders which are less messy. Westlake and others do them. I have the .38 Westlake as well.
    It’s an option I have looked at but I quite like the old style caps, powder and balls. The modern powder chargers make it a little less messy. They are quite an economic way to shoot.

If I am honest I can’t be bu99ered with the paper work (I am under the Met) for what is my least favoured discipline. I would rather add a 30-06 or 8mm to the ticket if I were to add slots.

They are great fun to shoot though and can be surprisingly accurate over 50 meters.
    What are the west lakes like, they often have a stand at the Bisley imperial or Trafalgar meets and look really nice.

Blog Entries
    It’s an option I have looked at but I quite like the old style caps, powder and balls. The modern powder chargers make it a little less messy. They are quite an economic way to shoot.

If I am honest I can’t be bu99ered with the paper work (I am under the Met) for what is my least favoured discipline. I would rather add a 30-06 or 8mm to the ticket if I were to add slots.

They are great fun to shoot though and can be surprisingly accurate over 50 meters.
    What are the west lakes like, they often have a stand at the Bisley imperial or Trafalgar meets and look really nice.
    The Armscor model by Westlake which I have is based on the .38 M200 model by Rock Island Armory in the Philippines. It’s a budget model which only costs $200 ish in its original form in the USA. Having said that it works well and is reasonably accurate.
    His newer model based on the Alfa is a much better quality model.
    The black powder revolvers I prefer are the Remington New Army replicas which work well. I haven’t used the Colt Single Action Army I just bought yet, but have read some good reviews.
    As for paperwork it’s just another variation so not normally a problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Yes, clays for me - last year I traded in my Kemen KM4 for a very good price and replaced it with an early Blaser F3 and a like new Caesar Guerini Maxxum; both 12 bore. In addition I have a Browning Cynergy 20 bore.

Due to lockdown have only managed one outing with each of the CG and Blaser.

How do you like the CG and Blaser?

I have 3 Browning 725 Citori's, 1 Browning 625 Citori and a Rizzini Fierce 1 for shooting skeet and trap but I am mostly a skeet shooter I am on the skeet committee at my local club. I have some pistols, revolvers and a couple of rifles as well for target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    How do you like the CG and Blaser?
    Well bear in mind that I have only managed to shoot each one once and they both need a bit of adjusting to fit me properly, but based on that single outing the Blaser is ahead in the handling and scoring stakes, it also has adjustable stock weights which helps to get it balanced just so.

They obviously need some further testing ... the CG was easily adjusted as they supply different thickness butt pads so that is ready to go as soon as the opportunity arises; while the Blaser is I believe ready but is stuck at the gunsmiths. Also the Blaser is a pretty early example and would benefit from a thorough overhaul back at Mulliners but I haven't managed to organise that yet.

When I 'joined up' in the 70's the SLR L1A1 was the main service rifle and for many of us 16/17 yo it was really intimidating with it's weight, harsh recoil and length. I had some experince of .22lr and shotguns so not too bad for me and I soon gained the marksman badge (for managing to get all the rounds in the middle of the NATO silhouette target with my eyes open lol)
    I would do anything in those days to get my hands on a gun so joined a shooting team using all the then current service weapons including 9mm SMG and Browning Hi-Power, LMG and SLR.
    Great fun.

Master
    Sounds like there are some very experienced shooters here.
    For someone that fancies a bit of target shooting in the garden, what is a good way to start?
    Worth buying a starter kit of some kind or better to do something else?
    I’m thinking it would be fun as something to do with the kids in the garden. Can’t imagine Mrs Bambam getting involved - or even being happy about it!
    Be great to get some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Sounds like there are some very experienced shooters here.
    For someone that fancies a bit of target shooting in the garden, what is a good way to start?
    Worth buying a starter kit of some kind or better to do something else?
    I’m thinking it would be fun as something to do with the kids in the garden. Can’t imagine Mrs Bambam getting involved - or even being happy about it!
    Be great to get some guidance.
    All depends on whether you want a rifle or pistol, there are some really good pistol and rifle packages available for under the £120 price range

Master
    All depends on whether you want a rifle or pistol, there are some really good pistol and rifle packages available for under the £120 price range
    Not sure, maybe rifle.
    Any links or package details would be useful. Been having a quick read about the various choices - spring, gas etc. Bit of a minefield if you’re new to it all.
    £120 ish sounds about right in case it just gets left in the garage unused!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    When I 'joined up' in the 70's the SLR L1A1 was the main service rifle and for many of us 16/17 yo it was really intimidating with it's weight, harsh recoil and length. I had some experince of .22lr and shotguns so not too bad for me and I soon gained the marksman badge (for managing to get all the rounds in the middle of the NATO silhouette target with my eyes open lol)
    I would do anything in those days to get my hands on a gun so joined a shooting team using all the then current service weapons including 9mm SMG and Browning Hi-Power, LMG and SLR.
    Great fun.
    This may be of interest, I have looked at older version before but these are brand new
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...91202201947005

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Not sure, maybe rifle.
    Any links or package details would be useful. Been having a quick read about the various choices - spring, gas etc. Bit of a minefield if you’re new to it all.
    £120 ish sounds about right in case it just gets left in the garage unused!
    I'm much more pistol shooter than rifle, but when I teach my kid, I'll start with a rifle. Easy to lean on something and more aware of where it is pointing - with pistol it can be very much a case of "right hand not knowing what left hand is doing". Safety is far more important than accuracy when you are learning.

This may be of interest, I have looked at older version before but these are brand new
    Is that, effectively, a bolt action SLR?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

'Straight Pull' means that the parts that make a rifle semi or full auto are just not there and you have to load using the cocking handle for every shot. This applies to calibers over .22rimfire.
    The problem with many of these nanny-state bastardisations is that the guns just don't like operating in this way. I have watched people struggling with them and it's embarassing to watch lol.
    The straight pull SLR is particularly difficult to use this way and I would never pay the ridiculous prices that these rifles seem to command.
    But you can't deny they are very sought after.
    Better to look for one of the AK derivatives as the ammo is cheap if you can get hold of milsurp or reloading is easy.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    'Straight Pull' means that the parts that make a rifle semi or full auto are just not there and you have to load using the cocking handle for every shot. This applies to calibers over .22rimfire.
    The problem with many of these nanny-state bastardisations is that the guns just don't like operating in this way. I have watched people struggling with them and it's embarassing to watch lol.
    The straight pull SLR is particularly difficult to use this way and I would never pay the ridiculous prices that these rifles seem to command.
    But you can't deny they are very sought after.
    Better to look for one of the AK derivatives as the ammo is cheap if you can get hold of milsurp or reloading is easy.
    The ergonomics of the SLR / FAL makes a straight pull a pain, the charging handle is also quite small, although you can get a larger one. It’s not helped by the lug design on the bolt. The AR18 style bolt in the straight pull AUG is the same, the rifle looks great but is a pain to cycle and you are guaranteed to skin your knuckles. In contrast my mini 14 is a joy to use, easy to cycle and not taking any real effort at all, but it has the Garrand style rotating bolt. I think they are an under rated rifle.
    I am not a fan of the AK to be honest but it’s largely due to a personal preference for peep / aperture sights, not the rifles themselves which are good and very reliable. You are correct re the ammo, x39 so much cheaper than surplus x51 and or 5.56. I quite like the Dragonov rifles out at the moment but 7.62x54 is so difficult to get hold of.

The ergonomics of the SLR / FAL makes a straight pull a pain, the charging handle is also quite small, although you can get a larger one. It’s not helped by the lug design on the bolt. The AR18 style bolt in the straight pull AUG is the same, the rifle looks great but is a pain to cycle and you are guaranteed to skin your knuckles. In contrast my mini 14 is a joy to use, easy to cycle and not taking any real effort at all, but it has the Garrand style rotating bolt. I think they are an under rated rifle.
    I am not a fan of the AK to be honest but it’s largely due to a personal preference for peep / aperture sights, not the rifles themselves which are good and very reliable. You are correct re the ammo, x39 so much cheaper than surplus x51 and or 5.56. I quite like the Dragonov rifles out at the moment but 7.62x54 is so difficult to get hold of.
    I was offered a Mini 14 with a .22 lr conversion included recently and I foolishly let it go by and it was only £500!
    I've got an acquaintance who is really into all the Russian stuff and loves Dragunovs and all AK related. My AKM is just a silly indulgance but I've got the POSP 8x42 scope which makes it look interesting.
    I'm also on the lookout for a 300 Blackout upper for my AR, this round is very popular atm as it can be used in indoor ranges but can also be reloaded for subsonic or maxxed out for longer range work.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 1st March 2021 at 21:24.

I am so jealous of you lot. Many years ago I used to enjoy small bore target shooting. I was a member of a club and had competitions with other clubs. We used . 22 Martiny Henry rifles. It was great fun. Unfortunately my wife is against any sort of firearm. Even air weapons. So I can only dream these days.