closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New garage ideas

Master

New garage ideas

Time has come to splash out and have a new garage built.
    After some ideas of size/materials etc etc
    We live in an old stone built house, ( roughcast finish ), with a slate roof in a very rural setting, it's had a couple of extensions over the years so it's got some modern looking bits as well.
    The garage will be away from the house, approx 20 mtrs or so.
    I quite like the idea of a dwarf wall made of local stone and then clad with timber, maybe timber frame with oak pillars to the front, I need storage/office above.
    Size, was thinking 8x5 mtrs, enough to fit a decent size car in comfortably with space for a small work area.
    What have people had built and how do you find it, my ideas are not set in stone, they are just ideas at the moment, so always open to something different.
    Pics are always nice.
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything.

I built one on a previous project that was 9m x6m- configured broadly as a nice double with a single on the end (sideways if you get me)- that was the workshop bit ,with ample storage upstairs, albeit with reduced headroom. It was cavity wall, facing brick outer skin and concrete block inner.
    Design and construction limited by planning regs in a national park area,my current one is as you’re suggesting- dwarf wall with timber frame and cladding under a slate roof- stays nice and dry and is quite warm too. It’s a double length with L shaped workshop that I’ve adapted to, probably not as useable as the one previously described.

Grand Master
    I’m a bit curious about the size, 26’ 6” x 16’ 6” in old money. Not wide enough to comfortably fit two modern cars side by side and nit long enough to work as a tandem. I’ve had a similar dilemma with garage size, just bought a bungalow with plenty of garden space and a 23’6” x 12’ concrete garage that needs work. One option was to scrap it and go for a new one, but for several reasons ( including money,) we decided to alter and restore the original.

I thought long and hard about size, to get a practical double I needed 18’ minimum. I considered lengthening to tandem but it would’ve ended up at over 30’ which would start to dominate the garden. I fancied the idea of a second classic car, that was the appeal of a double, but to leave enough room to work on the cars I would've needed something bigger than a normal double garage.

For me, there are two issues with size. Firstly, be clear about what you plan to use it for and work around that. Secondly, is the cost involved in the bigger garage justified and what value does it add to the property? Here’s where I think your 5m width falls down, To be a true practical double I would go a bit wider if you can. There may be other constraints that prevent this but that’s my thoughts off the top if my head. I would also consider double- skinned walls but I’m sure others know more about this aspect than me.

Good luck, ideally I would’ve gone down the brick- built route but I have a large extension to pay for too. The concrete garage is having a new roof tomorrow and moving back by 4’ by taking panels from front to back. Just sat down after clearing it out in readiness so your post is quite timely!

Master
    Size wise there's possibly some wiggle room, it's not the space outside, but it's trying to fit it in without losing the spectacular views we have, that's been a real issue as to where to build it, also planning will probably want to stick there oar in about something.
    As for construction, originally we were thinking dwarf wall, block and cladding, it was the architect that mentioned timber frame with insulation and overboard on the inside.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not built by us, but our house has a detached double garage with an office above. It has a brick outer and breezeblock inner skin. It measures approx 20x20 feet internally and is fine for two cars. The office has restricted headroom front and back due to the pitch of the roof - one dormer and two Velux windows for light. Although not used as an office, the size and construction seem fit for purpose.

Blog Entries
    This thread needs pictures / drawings!

I can safely say that Pinterest (yes...) offers a lot of ideas and suggestions.

Master
    Just to update this, we've had the garage passed by planning and are awaiting the construction drawings from the architect, I promise pictures will be forthcoming.
    I don't really want too many windows at floor level, for security reasons, so i was thinking about light tunnels to bring natural light into the garage/workshop area, rather than having to switch lights on every time I'm in there, anyone had any experience with these.

Blog Entries
    Do the approved drawings show a pitched roof. If so worth banging attic trusses on??

Ours is 7.5 x 7.7 and we have a great useable space in the roof, presently a gym.

Pitch

Just a thought but have you considered running a wired network connection into the garage? I doubt a wireless signal would reach and it might be easier getting the cable run in whilst its under construction.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Do the approved drawings show a pitched roof. If so worth banging attic trusses on??

Ours is 7.5 x 7.7 and we have a great useable space in the roof, presently a gym.

Pitch
    Yes, the builder has already suggested that👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Just a thought but have you considered running a wired network connection into the garage? I doubt a wireless signal would reach and it might be easier getting the cable run in whilst its under construction.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Already thought of, along with water supply and soil pipe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Yes, the builder has already suggested that
    Goodo, we have a paddle staircase as well so it doesn’t take much room

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Goodo, we have a paddle staircase as well so it doesn’t take much room

Pitch
    Can you send me a pic or link please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post