closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flamboyant Rolex...or not?

Master

Flamboyant Rolex...or not?

This is the Yachtmaster 42mm, which looks like a pretty familiar version from the Sub school of design. But it’s solid white gold. Nothing in the design to make it stand-out as gold. Are there any other Rolex models where a PM version looks deliberately nearly indistinguishable from steel?
    The only real clue, for those in the know, is the Oysterflex strap. Although plenty of subs have rubber straps. Is this the first deliberate ‘stealth’ design? And will there be more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The WG GMT Master 2 is the only other I can think of, again the bracelet is what would give it away

If you didn't know the Submariner range you'd be easily forgiven for thinking that the only difference between the black, green and blue bezel versions was the bezel colour.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-submariner-126619lb/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The WG GMT Master 2 is the only other I can think of, again the bracelet is what would give it away
    Yep that's what I was going to say. I used to see that in the window of the local Goldsmiths and only realise what it was from the price, and therefore availability ...

Master
    Yes, I think the white gold GMT is the other example, although aren’t both the bracelet and the bezel colouring slightly different? With the Sub, the bright blue bezel is a give-away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If you didn't know the Submariner range you'd be easily forgiven for thinking that the only difference between the black, green and blue bezel versions was the bezel colour.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-submariner-126619lb/
    That is my grail. I tried it on in the huge Rolex shop in HK airport many years back (well the older watch model).

Colour is just amazing, I’d want the bracelet brushed fully however, that is a lesser point as realistically I’m not comfortable tying that much equity in a watch; I’d never wear it out!

Loved the yacht master posted, saw the image on tapatalk & clicked in hoping for a new Rolex I’d missed, only to find it was a precious metal one again. Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I believe that on the polar version of the 16570, the outers of the indices are white gold, but painted black...

Craftsman
    This could pass for steel if you didn’t know the reference....

Master
    Admittedly one has PCL’s (which is on some steel anyway) but to the average person that doesn’t own or know anything in particular about Rolex, they wouldn’t spot the difference. Certainly from a distance.

Wolf in sheep’s clothing. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Admittedly one has PCL’s (which is on some steel anyway) but to the average person that doesn’t own or know anything in particular about Rolex, they wouldn’t spot the difference. Certainly from a distance.

Those two are ok......I guess.......

{turns green and closes down screen}

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

That is just lovely...is that a precious metal or steel version?

I'm having an inner wrestling match on getting another Rolex - Yachtmaster or Explorer Polar. If that's an "affordable" Rolex the YM might be winning

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post

I'm having an inner wrestling match on getting another Rolex - Yachtmaster or Explorer Polar. If that's an "affordable" Rolex the YM might be winning

Did you read from the start

Blog Entries

I couldn't possibly try to influence you, they're both lovely watches.......

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It’s White Gold. It’s the YM 42.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Did you read from the start

Yes I did thank you. Looking again I see it's the WG version...my bad, on first look, it looked to me that the bezel indices are black - joy of using a phone to view.

Won't be buying that version then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Such a fantastic looking watch Wes. Lucky man.

I would like the white gold yachtmaster. To me it’s a lovely looking watch I could feel awesome about but to 99.9% of people it’s either just a watch, or a just a Rolex if you know what I mean.

Flamboyant Rolex...or not?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The only real clue, for those in the know, is the Oysterflex strap.
    And the size

And the bezel

Granted, most people will think it’s stainless steel but the same can be said of any white gold watch!

Edited to add that it’s definitely my favourite Rolex and would be perfect if it was 40mm like the rose gold model.

Pretty easy to come by the YM 42 (been offered one on two occasions and both times politely declined) but never a fan of the overall look. For me, the bezel just doesn’t work looks wise.

However it’s beautiful balanced watch once it’s on your wrist and the Oysterflex is set just right.

Flamboyant or not, it is a lovely watch and looks much better on wrist than pics.
    Also, it kind of grew on me. I like it much better now than when I bought it. Not sure why.