closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reichsbank (Nazi) Gold bars question

Master

Reichsbank (Nazi) Gold bars question

Here's an interesting one.

Purely hypothetical.

Let's say I get a panicy phone call from a buddy who says an acquaintance has just asked him if he's interested in profiting with some Nazi gold bars .

Aforementioned buddy is extremely suspicious of handling something like that initially due to its connection with the Nazis and its likely source almost certainly having been looted from victims of the regime and possibly possessions from concentration camps. Just like to mention buddy's immediate reaction is disgust and zero intention to engage with said acquaintance.

This got me thinking...

Morally I totally share my buddy's opinion , way too much karmic negativity with making money from something like that , by all rights it should be returned or reported to the German gov I assume and then dealt with correctly .

However something doesn't make sense here . You can't legally sell and buy a bar of nazi gold I believe so why would someone try to sell it as such? Why would they not just resmelt it and not mention its source?
    Unless there is a thriving underground market for such things and it has additional value as a genuine nazi gold bar far beyond its metal value.

A quick google shows a thriving trade in cheap replicas made from base metal with gold plating.

This immediately makes me suspect that anyone selling a "Reichsbank" bar would very likely be a con man selling a fake bar knowing that anyone dumb and immoral enough to buy it is unlikely to be able to do much in the way of getting recompense , they might even struggle to get it properly assayed.

So I would say its either a simple con job .

Or its an extremely dodgy person selling a bar glorifying Nazism for profit.

In either scenario I'd be out and my buddy thinks likewise.

Any thoughts gentlemen?

A purely hypothetical reply.

Would you or I buy an issued Luftwaffe watch knowing it may have been on the wrists of those bombing innocent people?

Craftsman
    I know a Nigerian bloke who’s got a few bars if you’re keen.

Run Run Run - faker than a £13 note.

I’d say your buddy needs to stop panicking and rethink the sort of people he acquaints himself with.

All very strange, but there is a large market for Nazi memorabilia.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post

Would you or I buy an issued Luftwaffe watch knowing it may have been on the wrists of those bombing innocent people?
    I think that's a little different . A brick of Nazi gold represents the looting of victims of an illegal regime , a watch is merely a historical artefact , there is most likely a legal duty of care with any handling of one.

Sure people buy and sell Nazi memorabilia but whatever your personal opinion is on that there is no legal dimension beyond ownership etc. I imagine.

Regardless of the legality or morality I strongly suspect these bars just don't circulate in reality , not real ones anyway. They've either been resmelted or returned to the post war government of Germany, preferably both.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I’d say your buddy needs to stop panicking and rethink the sort of people he acquaints himself with.
    He said as much himself , he's a sensible upright person .

Lol, Nazi Gold.

All you have to do is invest X amount and you will get Y amount back.

Its an old scam worded differently.

The result is the same, you lose X and never see Y.

Stolen from Boys Room :)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Is the OP's mate called Kelly by any chance?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Is the OP's mate called Kelly by any chance?
    What's with the negative waves baby ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    What's with the negative waves baby ?
    Woof woof woof

That’s my other dog impression

I think that's a little different . A brick of Nazi gold represents the looting of victims of an illegal regime , a watch is merely a historical artefact , there is most likely a legal duty of care with any handling of one.

Sure people buy and sell Nazi memorabilia but whatever your personal opinion is on that there is no legal dimension beyond ownership etc. I imagine.

Regardless of the legality or morality I strongly suspect these bars just don't circulate in reality , not real ones anyway. They've either been resmelted or returned to the post war government of Germany, preferably both.
    But the commissioning of that watch and the cost of its production were no doubt met from the proceeds of said looting.
    Are there Nazi gold bars out there? Sure, they are under the floorboards of AH's house in BA and in the vaults of Swiss banks. (one is more likely than the other).

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post

Could that not be applied to some allied issued watches too...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very weird thread but I'll play.

Gold and vaginas make men loopy, always have always will, both are top bait to lure a fool and his money, add in a cover story about Nazi gold as apparently tons of it is missing/buried and you have a too good to be true rabbit hole that keeps fools descending further in.

Even if it was real the bullion probably contains lots of melted down gold teeth/fillings, wedding rings... the type of stuff that would haunt you.

If your friend is presented with such a gold bar, take a big lump hammer and a brick chisel, drive that chisel until its cut deep into the bar, chances are it would be lead with gold leaf coating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Very weird thread but I'll play.

Gold and vaginas make men loopy, always have always will, both are top bait to lure a fool and his money, add in a cover story about Nazi gold as apparently tons of it is missing/buried and you have a too good to be true rabbit hole that keeps fools descending further in.

Even if it was real the bullion probably contains lots of melted down gold teeth/fillings, wedding rings... the type of stuff that would haunt you.

If your friend is presented with such a gold bar, take a big lump hammer and a brick chisel, drive that chisel until its cut deep into the bar, chances are it would be lead with gold leaf coating.
    Yes these are my exact sentiments however the "acquaintance" of my friend is apparently extremely wealthy , has a history of indulging in government corruption and is not operating in the UK , not really the type to indulge in small scale scams. ( and I do not know the acquaintance myself).

Master
    If a person were to find a bar where they knew of suspected it may originate from the nazis there is a process to manage the process. I forget the name but if the circumstance did ever arise and you wanted the details PM me and I will dig out the name of the function.

Blog Entries
    Yes these are my exact sentiments however the "acquaintance" of my friend is apparently extremely wealthy , has a history of indulging in government corruption and is not operating in the UK , not really the type to indulge in small scale scams. ( and I do not know the acquaintance myself).
    Doesn’t use a gold bar for a doorstop does he?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.