closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running shoes

Master

Running shoes

Looking for some running shoes with next day delivery - any suggestions.

I have gel Kayano 16’s that just blew a tyre

Running shoes are like watches in terms of needs, likes, dislikes, but even more so given the damage unsuitable ones can do to you!

What sort of running do you do (distance, surface etc.) and what's your budget?

I wouldn't be focussing on having delivery by Friday if the running actually matters to you? Take your time to seek and find ones that suit you best. Can you not wait until places like Runner's Need reopen? They let you run around in the shops and use treadmills etc. with gait analysis before buying.

I'm assuming you mean where to shop as opposed to what to shop for?

I tend to buy in bulk if I find an offer as I change shoes every 3 months or so. I only run in Asics and I like Kayanos. Worth trying the budget stability options too...GT2000 and GT1000 are also fine if you run in Kayanos. I usually have some of these in the cupboard ready to go as a cheaper alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post
    Looking for some running shoes with next day delivery - any suggestions.

I have gel Kayano 16’s that just blew a tyre
    If you've got on well with the ones you have, just order the latest version in the same size. I've been a very long term user of the Gel Kayano's (probably nearly 20 years) and just ordered the latest (26 I think) before Christmas and surprise surprise they fitted like a glove once again. There's always a few tweaks dressed up as 'improvements' but they're still basically the same shoe......just in different colours.

Master
    Saucony Endorphin Speed, or the new Nike Invincible has just been released.

The foam tech has really moved on in those shoes, my old Kayanos feel like boards in comparison.

here is a good guide about running shoes, ideally people go to a store that does free video gait analysis and it narrows it down alot.

https://www.runnersneed.com/expert-a...ing-shoes.html

I’ve used ASICS and sauconey for years
    Recently tried hoka one. Can recommend

Vaporfly seem to be a contentious choice...

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    here is a good guide about running shoes, ideally people go to a store that does free video gait analysis and it narrows it down alot.

https://www.runnersneed.com/expert-a...ing-shoes.html
    RN will also do a 10% discount if you're a member of a running club. Or, they used to.

Master
    Vaporfly are brilliant but a little unstable due to the height. And only for neutral runners. And if you heel strike, forget about it. There’s barely any rubber on the heel. I’m not a fan of the Alphaflys though

Craftsman
    If you already had Kayanos, then Saucony Hurricanes are the equivalent for support/max-cushoining. I really rate them and they're generally a bit less ££.

Master
    This is all so helpful. Thanks for the input gents !!

I've got some On Running Cloudflow, really light and nicely made, they look good too which seems to be rare for running shoes.

https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/

As others have said, go with what you know. I'm an over pronator and once I found Saucony specifically for my OP I wouldn't get anything else.

Master
    Looks like ASICS can take 2 weeks.

My Kayano’s are dead. Solomon’s for now but agree it’s probably wise to stick with the same

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Vaporfly are brilliant but a little unstable due to the height. And only for neutral runners. And if you heel strike, forget about it. There’s barely any rubber on the heel. I’m not a fan of the Alphaflys though
    Have you tried them? I'm neutral and I don't heel strike until I've got nothing left in the tank.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Have you tried them? I'm neutral and I don't heel strike until I've got nothing left in the tank.
    I’ve had several pairs of Vaporflys - they’re my favourite shoe but only wear them in rotation as they’re £££

^Thanks. Hadn't heard of them until recently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I tend to buy in bulk if I find an offer as I change shoes every 3 months or so.
    I would be interested to know why you change so frequently, is it due to sole wear or the shoes loosing "bounce"? I ask because I destroy normal footwear but my runners seem to last forever.. it may be because you run further than me, but I probably average 15km a week and my Adidas Ultraboost have lasted 2 years.. just bought a fresh pair and in comparison it appears that the "bounce" hadn't degraded much either!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I would be interested to know why you change so frequently, is it due to sole wear or the shoes loosing "bounce"? I ask because I destroy normal footwear but my runners seem to last forever.. it may be because you run further than me, but I probably average 15km a week and my Adidas Ultraboost have lasted 2 years.. just bought a fresh pair and in comparison it appears that the "bounce" hadn't degraded much either!
    Mileage and fear of getting injured so I tend to change them out at about 450 miles (I'm currently doing up to 60km a week). I could probably get a few more miles out of each pair, but by that stage anyway they stink and usually look pretty shabby so I'm happy to get some new ones on! Usually the sole has a fair amount of wear on it by that stage. Best practice is to have two pairs and alternate but I tend to just run one main pair and potentially an old pair for muddy conditions.

I've only ever run in two brands for my whole life...Nike Structure Triax and Asics GT1000/2000/Kayano. For the past few years its been only Asics because I live near the O2 outlet where they frequently have the GT1000 for as little as £28 sometimes. As soon as I see they have a special offer, I tend to buy a few pairs.
    Last edited by Christian; 26th February 2021 at 09:19.

Yep, 500 miles is about right for me too.

Anything beyond that and it's noticeable that a new pair are much quicker. Well, you know what I mean.

Would always advocate staying with the make and model which works for you, I’ve stuck with Nike Air Structure Triax (and variants thereof) for decades as stability, not motion control, works best for me despite being a big 6’ 3” overprotonator.

Tried moving to Brooks and ASICS, but never worked and ended up going back to Structures.

Master
    so this has got interesting.

I haven't decided on shoes as yet but ran in my solomons yesterday. Did my best 1km time and the run felt pretty good.

The kayano's i have are an old pair that still had some life in them so I have been wearing these but the sole delaminated

Untitled by brendanodoherty, on Flickr

this morning I was walking up the stairs and had to step over an obstacle. I did so and over stretched my leg resulting in a painful pop/snap in my calf bringing me to the ground on the landing. Safe to say my calf is pulled/strained/whatever.

Question is:

Is it from over training (only started running in Jan at 43 years of age. pretty fit generally though)
    Is it from dodging the obstacle
    Is it from changing to the solomons the day before.

A few weeks of recovery for me so I guess I'll start pushups and pullups now !!

Craftsman
    I have tried a LOT of running shoes.

Short answer... For me the answer was Brooks.

Longer Answer, Whilst training for the London Marathan, I basically fell apart (knees and achilles). Although I have done some level of running most of my life, I had never run this far before. Desperate to be able to continue I regularly saw a Physio and needed to find some good quality running shoes. Brooks are all I run in now and help me just about keep the issues away.

Blog Entries
    Big Nike fan here become a member and you get 90 days return if you don’t get on with them.

I switch between Pegasus Turbo2’s and 35’s for easy training runs and Alphafly and Vaporfly Next% for tempo and racing.

My fav...... next % are fantastic shoes.

Pitch

Pitch, I wear Pegasus and have done for about fifteen years.

Would the transition to Vaporfly be relatively straightforward?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Pitch, I wear Pegasus and have done for about fifteen years.

Would the transition to Vaporfly be relatively straightforward?
    They are really different shoes but after 2 sets a Peg Turbo 35’s, 36 and Turbo2’s I have found them fine, I run far more lighter and they pop me on my forefoot more. The Alphafly are a completely different beast and have taken some getting use to.

Pitch

^OK thanks, might give them a go.

Reasonably happy ASICS gel venture 7 trail shoe user here, based on the combo of price, performance and availability... I think I probably get 6 to 12 months out of them, though not running marathons.

Craftsman
    Think you need to decide what you want to do with the shoes (run durrr) but in terms of speeds, workouts, etc.

Lots of carbon plate shoes out there which are great but some need you to be running a faster pace. That said, the Nikes are pretty accessible at most paces (vapor and alphafly). There’s a new vaporfly coming out soon. The adidas adios is being rereleased this week and is cheaper than both Nikes and is meant to be great (haven’t run in these myself) (170 instead of 230 plus).

Otherwise you may want something for slower runs or something more versatile. Then some of the other suggestions in the thread are good. Lots of choice depending on if you want more/max cushioning or something with more pop (and no carbon plate). The saucony endorphin speed is a nice shoe and has a plate (non-carbon) and is responsive at most speeds without beating your body/feet up. These sell out fast as well but there was a new colour released recently so should be some stock available.

Journeyman
    I ran in Gel Kayanos for many years before switching to GT-1000 for the last 2-3 years. Almost always bought them on sale when the next year’s model was released.

Late last year I went to a running shop to see what was out there for “support” running shoes and came away with a pair of Nike Infinity React. These are the best shoes I’ve ever run in and now have three pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    haven't run since i pulled my calf (leg boobs as my kids call them). Decided on the Kayano's so looking forward to them arriving which will coincide with my next run. Thanks for all the advise gents