closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: bloody hell just caught speeding

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    So did I.

No point having a laser detector - they are expensive and illegal.

Waze is free and legal.
    Laser detector isnt illegal a jammer is

Some drivers are unaware of the 60mph limit on single carriageways ... 70mph applies only to dual carriageways ... and for applicable vehicles only.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Phones, drug driving, drink driving, this happened yesterday outside my mates home,
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...cked-off-bike/
    The kids a class pupil at my daughter's school (she's a teacher)
    Horrible. You need to stay focussed when driving in todays traffic.
    All these things like phones, drugs, booze have no place whatsoever when somebody is driving a vehicle.

I hope the kid will get well.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Laser detector isnt illegal a jammer is
    Ah, so they are. But by the time it detects the laser, youve probably already been caught (again).

Waze is still free and perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Naive to think that the sole purpose of speed cameras is safety and not revenue. I did some advanced training with an ex traffic officer a couple of years ago.

Similarly, anyone that manages to miss the posted speed limit, and the van with a camera poking out the back covered in hivis stripes, and then whinges when caught doing nearly 50%above the limit is delusional. Shows a pretty poor standard of observation.

Everyone acquires bad habits over the years, it's why regular top up training is so useful and important. And there's so many resources available to improve, foc.
    The van is far left and in a bus lay-by , you are approaching A set of lights so focus is ahead , shown 20 drivers at work the video and all missed it

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    So approaching a known hazard (multiple lanes etc), wouldn't slowing a bit to give yourself more space and time be the more sensible course of action? If you can't process the road situation, the hazards around you, whilst being aware of the speed limit (and your own speed), you probably are travelling too fast for your skillset and the situation.

And you've been driving that stretch for 20yrs, and didn't know it's a 30? But your observation isn't an issue??

If we accept there's definitely an element of revenue raising, and safety isn't always the primary concern with camera locations, surely being more aware of the possibility is the logical course of action?

You have to accept (imo) that they're sneaky, they aren't always where you expect. But, if that's accepted, you also have to agree that they catch their fair share of inattentive drivers that haven't spotted them and aren't aware of the speed limit.
    I havent be driving that stretch for 20yrs I work in the area and go a different way home, this particular day due to a tradesman cockup I had to visit site and went that way home last time I went it was 40 and bang caught

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Peter a National is not a target, its a maximum permissible speed. I drive an old ex military defender with a 2.5na Diesel engine I am lucky with a tail wind and down hill if I can achieve 60, at this point my eardrums are oozing blood. Then to cap that some irk in a golf gti speeds past me slamming on his brakes. Defenders dont stop very well at the best of times and he then shites a brick as I nearly take out his rear. Causing him more anger and angst. More braking. Lifes too short. Speed Limits Lives
    Speed & anger Kill

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Understand its a maximum but some drivers feel its ok to tootle along at 28 mph (due to lack of confidence or abilities) on a dry day when the limit is national whilst causing a queue thus creating a situation that need not be. You can be done for going too slow

Master
    Blog Entries
    Understand its a maximum but some drivers feel its ok to tootle along at 28 mph (due to lack of confidence or abilities) on a dry day when the limit is national whilst causing a queue thus creating a situation that need not be. You can be done for going too slow

You would never get ticketed for 28 in a National Limit.

If you get caught behind such a person then just relax and be patient; pass if/when safe ... it's not hard.

Some issues raised on this thread answered by a camera operator ..
    https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...legal-17615731

Not saying you would I would think if an officer saw the queue being created hed be concerned , so we all have to at the slowest persons pace?

Master
    Blog Entries
    .... so we all have to at the slowest persons pace?
    Yep ... until it is safe to pass.

👍now I understand

Master
    Blog Entries
    now I understand
    Well done; we got there in the end ...

Yeh thanks ,you made see the light and my outlook is totally wrong and has been for so long , opinions are like arses , everyone has one . Just comply and lay down 👍

Master
    Yeh thanks ,you made see the light and my outlook is totally wrong and has been for so long , opinions are like arses , everyone has one . Just comply and lay down 👍
    Or just try to stop speeding?! :-)

None of these traps would work if people just obeyed the posted limits.

Unlike the law where everyone has the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unlike the law where everyone has the same one.
    LOL. If the law only had one opinion,we wouldn't need lawyers, nor appelate courts 🤣

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You would never get ticketed for 28 in a National Limit.

If you get caught behind such a person then just relax and be patient; pass if/when safe ... it's not hard.
    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...ments-17538586

"Inspector Gareth Jones of the Roads Policing Unit at North Wales Police said: “Driving too slowly on any road can result in the motorist being penalised for careless driving which carries a fine and penalty points on a licence."

During summer months I would quite often get stuck behind a huge tailback on a 60mph limit winding A road down from Edinburgh to the Borders. No-one able to get past the car at the front, doing 40mph.

Pass layby after layby and you ask yourself "Can they not see the 15 cars behind them????"

The simple answer is: No - They are driving at 40 because they have to, while staring transfixed out the windscreen - they daren't take their eyes from the road ahead, to look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

"Inspector Gareth Jones of the Roads Policing Unit at North Wales Police said: Driving too slowly on any road can result in the motorist being penalised for careless driving which carries a fine and penalty points on a licence."
    You would never get prosecuted for 28 in a 30. Yes if you were doing 10 - 15 and causing a queue and someone was impatient to attempt a manoeuvre and cause an accident.
    At least if I was still on RT that's how I would read it. Of course there's always the possibility of the slow car having mechanical failure too needing to get off at the next exit.
    The worst accident I've attended with was at 30mph... two fatalities in the same car on a bend.

I am quite often the target of anger for queues of irate motorists.
    I tow a caravan with my Riley, and although not the fastest outfit on the road, it has no problem keeping to the 50mph limit on A-roads. It even accelerates reasonably quickly; never beating anyone away from the lights admittedly, but certainly not underperforming in road useage terms.
    Whilst I take care to pull over to allow any queues to shoot off into the distance when laybys allow, there are usually a few miles between them, so up builds a queue.
    It isn't my fault that I have to stick to 50mph. But the number of overtaking motorists performing dangerous maneouvres to get past me at all costs, and/or making wanker signs as they pass, does make me somewhat miffed.
    Wherever possible I use dual carriageways or motorways to avoid these situations, and to allow myself the luxury of towing at 60mph, but the bottom line is - if I have no alternative route, then I have as much right to use the road up to the maximum allowed limit as anyone else.

Some issues raised on this thread answered by a camera operator ..
    https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...legal-17615731
    And all off of the script, what else would you expect him to say

You would never get prosecuted for 28 in a 30. Yes if you were doing 10 - 15 and causing a queue and someone was impatient to attempt a manoeuvre and cause an accident.
    At least if I was still on RT that's how I would read it. Of course there's always the possibility of the slow car having mechanical failure too needing to get off at the next exit.
    The worst accident I've attended with was at 30mph... two fatalities in the same car on a bend.
    no one mentioned 28 in a 30? its 28 on a national,and regular

Master
    Blog Entries

"Inspector Gareth Jones of the Roads Policing Unit at North Wales Police said: Driving too slowly on any road can result in the motorist being penalised for careless driving which carries a fine and penalty points on a licence."

Of course; but show me one example of someone driving at 28 mph getting pinged for that ...

Well in all my years as a driver, Police or civilian, I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing 28mph on a a 70,50,40, limit, yes maybe on a 30. So that was my reason by my response.
    30, 60, & 70 are all national speed limits, so what do you mean, also by 'regular'?

30, 50, 60 and 70 are all national speed limits. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The National Speed Limits are 60 on single carriageways and 70 on dual carriageways

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...20carriageways.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Of course; but show me one example of someone driving at 28 mph getting pinged for that ...
    Drivers are being warned of the ‘dangerous’ scenarios which can be created by driving too slow.
    DfT figures show that in 2018, two fatal collisions were caused by a person driving too slow for the conditions – in addition to 24 collisions which led to serious injuries.
    RAC News says while slow speeds are rarely a direct cause of accidents, associated behaviours often lead to dangerous driving scenarios.
    This includes ‘ill-judged’ overtaking, tailbacks and those who fail to merge properly with motorways.
    The Alliance of British Drivers (ABD) says slow drivers cause ‘frustration’, which can lead to dangerous manoeuvers.
    Hugh Bladon, a founding member of the ABD, said: “I’m not in the least bit surprised by these worrying statistics.
    “I have advocated for a long time that driving too slow causes frustration for other people and can cause them to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre, which is the most dangerous thing you can do on the roads.”
    Police can charge drivers with driving too slowly, a punishment that comes with three points and a 100 fine.
    Minimum speed limits aren’t common in the UK, although some tunnels do have a minimum and maximum speed limit.
    Road signs indicating a minimum speed limit are found in a blue circle with a white font, the end of a minimum speed zone is shown by a sign featuring a red line through the number.

https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/slo...ing-scenarios/

The legislation is there and exists.
    Deaths and accidents caused by dangerously slow driving is there and exists.

That is enough for me without feeling the need to furnish you with individual examples of fines.

Dawdlers are dangerous.
    Last edited by verv; 2nd March 2021 at 12:34.

Understand it’s a maximum but some drivers feel it’s ok to tootle along at 28 mph (due to lack of confidence or abilities) on a dry day when the limit is national whilst causing a queue thus creating a situation that need not be. You can be done for going too slow
    Hi

This used to be my view too....until my Son had a ' black box ' fitted to his Audi A1 !

28mph ( in a 30 zone ) is EXACTLY what the insurer rewards you for ( plus smoothness & journeys ) when you check the ' how's my driving ' App daily score. I bought him a black box sign ( from ebay ) and fitted it to the rear windscreen to let other road users know & let them decide if/when they want to pass safely ( rather than tailgate , hand signal & swear ).

I found that after 35yrs of doing my own interpretation of the speed limit , that driving the A1 just below it ( and when going down hill ) takes a lot of concentration & monitoring in a 30 zone and that driving in a 40 , 50 & 70 are a pleasure in comparison.

I think my driving style has actually changed as a result when I'm behind the wheel of my 540i.

Best Neil
    Last edited by flame; 2nd March 2021 at 13:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Before lockdown I was driving along the backroads of Suffolk regularly. The route I took has virtually no safe overtaking spots. Whilst a few people did progress at what I felt was slower than necessary, I regularly got stuck behind large lorries that sometimes struggled to exceed 15mph going up some of the uphill twisty stretches and tractors rarely going above 30mph. There simply isn't any point in getting irritated or trying to overtake dangerously. The chance of encountering such slow traffic just has to be factored into journey times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Drivers are being warned of the dangerous scenarios which can be created by driving too slow.
    DfT figures show that in 2018, two fatal collisions were caused by a person driving too slow for the conditions in addition to 24 collisions which led to serious injuries.
    RAC News says while slow speeds are rarely a direct cause of accidents, associated behaviours often lead to dangerous driving scenarios.
    This includes ill-judged overtaking, tailbacks and those who fail to merge properly with motorways.
    The Alliance of British Drivers (ABD) says slow drivers cause frustration, which can lead to dangerous manoeuvers.
    Hugh Bladon, a founding member of the ABD, said: Im not in the least bit surprised by these worrying statistics.
    I have advocated for a long time that driving too slow causes frustration for other people and can cause them to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre, which is the most dangerous thing you can do on the roads.
    Police can charge drivers with driving too slowly, a punishment that comes with three points and a 100 fine.
    Minimum speed limits arent common in the UK, although some tunnels do have a minimum and maximum speed limit.
    Road signs indicating a minimum speed limit are found in a blue circle with a white font, the end of a minimum speed zone is shown by a sign featuring a red line through the number.

https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/slo...ing-scenarios/

The legislation is there and exists.
    Deaths and accidents caused by dangerously slow driving is there and exists.

That is enough for me without feeling the need to furnish you with individual examples of fines.

Dawdlers are dangerous.
    Thats not an example of someone getting pinged for doing 28.

Anyway the point is fair but the risks created by speeders are far beyond those created by dawdlers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Im not sure youll get the option of a speed awareness course. When I did mine we were told that it was only offered if you were no more than 9mph plus 10% over the limit. So that would be 42mph in a 30. Might be lucky because its well worth accepting that
    long time ago I got caught doing 34 in a 30 and was told it was too fast for an warned course. ??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Doing 28 in a 30 is not dawdling, ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Some drivers are unaware of the 60mph limit on single carriageways ... 70mph applies only to dual carriageways ... and for applicable vehicles only.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    i was taught in my speed awareness course - 60mph limit even applies to dual carriageways where there is no barrier between carriageways. So simple rule is - if you can roll an apple across a carriageway without it being stopped its 60mph - if there is a barrier then its 70mph.

Some drivers dont use the 70mph rule and stick to 60mph even on a carrageway with barriers - which can annoy other road users.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    i was taught in my speed awareness course - 60mph limit even applies to dual carriageways where there is no barrier between carriageways. So simple rule is - if you can roll an apple across a carriageway without it being stopped its 60mph - if there is a barrier then its 70mph.

Some drivers dont use the 70mph rule and stick to 60mph even on a carrageway with barriers - which can annoy other road users.
    That was something I learnt on my course as well, quite interesting, as Id been happily doing 70mph frequently on just such a stretch of road in Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    That was something I learnt on my course as well, quite interesting, as Id been happily doing 70mph frequently on just such a stretch of road in Hampshire.
    This is something I also learned on my course. I previously assumed 2 lanes in each direction was a dual carriageway, didn't know it was nothing to do with the amount of lanes, but whether there was a barrier or verge of some sort separating oncoming traffic.
    They also told us that many people don't realise it's 60mph for vans not 70 on a dual carriageway, and they they get loads of people in who hired a van, didn't know and got zapped.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Well yeah, obviously.

I'm talking about the slow arses who crawl along round bends at 28 on a national 60.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Can we all just be really clear that we're discussing (or rather, Peter and I are discussing) the 28mph drivers on roads with the national limit of 60 mph.

SydR

bloody hell just caught speeding

Really surprised for how many this appears to be new information. I learned that as a learner over 30 years ago and havent forgotten.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Really surprised for how many this appears to be new information. I learned that as a learner over 30 years ago and havent forgotten.
    I learnt lots of driving related things over 30 years ago, many of which Ive forgotten! :-)

Learnt plenty of good new stuff along the way though, theres always something to do better.

Well in all my years as a driver, Police or civilian, I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing 28mph on a a 70,50,40, limit, yes maybe on a 30. So that was my reason by my response.
    30, 60, & 70 are all national speed limits, so what do you mean, also by 'regular'?
    there a people driving on a single carriage national highway tootling at 28 mph and causing a build up of traffic, but in the eyes of the law or general public the are doing no wrong...but they create a potential situation

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    nobody has said 28 in a 30 ,its 28 on a national...28 in a 30 totally acceptable imo

Can we all just be really clear that we're discussing (or rather, Peter and I are discussing) the 28mph drivers on roads with the national limit of 60 mph.

LOL, yep some just dont get it (they probably do 28)joking

nobody has said 28 in a 30 ,its 28 on a national...28 in a 30 totally acceptable imo
    But 43mph isnt!

If it hasnt got a barrier, its not a dual carriageway Martin. Thats just me being pedantic, I know eggs you mean.

Vans are complicated because its 50mph on a single carriageway, 60mph on a dual carriageway and 70mph on a motorway UNLESS its a car derived van.

The car derived can complicates things because, whilst I believe it means for example, something like a fiesta with no rear seats or windows, it can also
    Include vehicles like a transit minibus.

I drive a nissan e-nv200 which also comes in a seven seat version so is mine a car derived van or is the seven seater a van derived car?

Whatever, being electric with a relatively small battery, I tend to use 50mph and 60mph as the correct speed limits. I dont worry about motorways because I havent got the range to get to one, never mind drive on it!

i know Dave and I will get my punishment

i was taught in my speed awareness course - 60mph limit even applies to dual carriageways where there is no barrier between carriageways. So simple rule is - if you can roll an apple across a carriageway without it being stopped it’s 60mph - if there is a barrier then its 70mph.

Some drivers don’t use the 70mph rule and stick to 60mph even on a carrageway with barriers - which can annoy other road users.
    Do there have to be 2 carriageways for a road to be dual carriageway? Sounds daft question but sometimes carriageways diverge and the one in opposite direction might take a slightly different route.

A dual carriageway can have one lane in each direction. Its the fact that theres a barrier between traffic travelling in opposite directions that makes it a dual carriageway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    A dual carriageway can have one lane in each direction. It’s the fact that there’s a barrier between traffic travelling in opposite directions that makes it a dual carriageway.
    Yes, but what if you don't know whether there is a second direction. Sometimes there's trees or other stuff between them, 2nd direction might as well not be there. In the extreme it's 2 separate one-way streets.

(I should have said directions not carriageways in my previous post.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If it hasn’t got a barrier, it’s not a dual carriageway Martin. That’s just me being pedantic,
    That isn't what the Highway Code says.

Pasted from the .GOV website and seems to be backed up by the images in the link below.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...les-133-to-143
    Dual carriageways

A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways.

Photos of signed 'Dual Carriageway' with no barrier.
    https://www.roads.org.uk/blog/what-m...al-carriageway
    Last edited by Maysie; 2nd March 2021 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, but what if you don't know whether there is a second direction. Sometimes there's trees or other stuff between them, 2nd direction might as well not be there. In the extreme it's 2 separate one-way streets.

(I should have said directions not carriageways in my previous post.)
    A break in the tarmac seems to suggest a Dual Carriageway definition according to the info in my post above, ie there are two separated carriageways - regardless of a physical barrier.

What a minefield.