closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bloody hell just caught speeding

bloody hell just caught speeding

mobile camera van nabbed me on monday coming out of leeds going on to the m62 ,NIP today 43mph in a 30mph zone(didnt know it was 30) ,totally cheesed off,what can i expect,no points atm

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    mobile camera van nabbed me on monday coming out of leeds going on to the m62 ,NIP today 43mph in a 30mph zone(didnt know it was 30) ,totally cheesed off,what can i expect,no points atm
    Why didn't you think it was 30?

Hope for a speed awareness course

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not sure you’ll get the option of a speed awareness course. When I did mine we were told that it was only offered if you were no more than 9mph plus 10% over the limit. So that would be 42mph in a 30. Might be lucky because it’s well worth accepting that

Pay up and look big

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    ,what can i expect,
    No sympathy whatsoever.

Angry

never go home that way,3 lanes out of town,m1/m62 /another road.came round the bend into sunlight and hes over on the very left in a bus layby away from the 3 lanes.not sure I was going that fast ,lights were at red and I stopped.cant prove my speed .my dash cam recorded it but I cant find how to show the speed.showed the wife the footage and she couldnt see the van till it was too late either

To be fair, should be looking out for signage not the vans.

Well, I sympathise.

Some arseholes zoom around like rally drivers and never get flashed; the ones who keep to the limits but very occasionally miss a sign always get the nip.

So when you pay the fine or accept the course (because you don't really have any other option), don't forget - you have my sympathy.

What can I expect
    I would guess at 3 points and £100 fine. Don't stress about it. Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    To be fair, should be looking out for signage not the vans.
    The thing I have noticed in recent months is that I am on the lookout for potholes to avoid damaging wheels which means my concentration on signs and looking further ahead takes a back seat which isn't good.

Can expect a max fine of £1k plus victim surcharge etc and maybe 6 points.

I got a 30% discount for pleading guilty online and ended up with something like £580 but after court costs, victim surcharge and telling the insurance it was a grand in the end.

Speeding punishments have changed big time.

Victim surcharge?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Distance between street lights is often a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Victim surcharge?
    Honestly, that was the bit which annoyed me the most. Done by a mobile van too.

Get an upto date Sat Nav that tells you the speed zones and has an alarm when your breaking limits,

sometimes signs are hidden behind some overgrowth or whatever.....

Grand Master
    In a streetlit built- up area the limit us 30 unless there are signs indicating otherwise, like it or lump it that’s the rule and cameras will enforce it without discretion. It’s not the 1980s any longer.

Just accept the fine and pay up, no point moaning about it, I’ve been down that path and its futile. 43 is pushing it a bit, but hopefully you’ll get away with 3 points and £100 fine. Insurance may go up slightly for 5 years, which feels like being punished several times over.

Many years ago one of my more excitable colleagues went to court to contest a speeding fine, he ended up getting done for contempt of court when he lost his temper and called the female magistrate a ‘ f***ing swamp donkey’......... sometimes its best to suck it up and take your punishment.

Master
    Just got to suck it up.
    low forties isn't difficult to get to if you take your eye off the speedo but to be honest if you're not a habitual speeder you're unlikely to get enough to tot up a ban.
    I got my first points in the summer in 5 years which I was a bit miffed about(my own stupidity that is) however my insurance hasn't been affected.
    It will make you a bit more aware for about 6 mts and your eyes will be super sensitised for mobile camera vans.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Get an upto date Sat Nav that tells you the speed zones and has an alarm when your breaking limits,

No good with mobile vans and/or hand-held guns.

Don't ask me how I know.....

The last time that I was informed that I was allegedly speeding I advised them that I couldn’t find my licence and was told I would receive a summons to go to court and to explain to the judge why I didn’t accept the NIP. I am still waiting for the Royal Mail to deliver the summons scheduled to have arrived in May 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Use Waze then. Other users are normally good enough to flag camera vans etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Surely that does work, in that it keeps you below the limit for that stretch of road? (unless he ignores the alarm).

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Surely that does work, in that it keeps you below the limit for that stretch of road? (unless he ignores the alarm).
    Spose so, but it doesn't ping on approaching the hazard....

Points and a fine, as it should be.

Lucky I suppose that the speed camera didn’t pickup my 4 bald tyres and iffy brakes , and on my phone trying to get my mot booked ... only joking I’ll have to take it on the chin

Lucky I suppose that the speed camera didn’t pickup my 4 bald tyres and iffy brakes , and on my phone trying to get my mot booked ... only joking I’ll have to take it on the chin
    That's the spirit, actions have consequences - accept and move on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Use Waze then. Other users are normally good enough to flag camera vans etc.
    ^^ This. Waze is great for traffic as well, always have it on in the car and on the bike.

Taking it on the chin is best.
    Then using waze regardless of if you know where you're going. Also makes you less likely to pick the phone up if it's in a cradle.

Zoom

Hi All
    I was caught couple of weeks ago doing doing 62 in a 50 contraflow, £100 fine & 3 pts or Speed Awareness course which because of covid is now online in a Zoom call at home which costs £85 and lasts 3 hrs mine is in 3 weeks time ...it is what it is trouble with contraflows you just follow the person in front but there you go no one was hurt and you learn from it

The classic thing was taking the Daughter to Southampton Police Training Centre to have her Fingerprints taken as she has been accepted on the Police graduate scheme. I did have a word with them but they don't look after their own like they used to

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can expect a max fine of £1k plus victim surcharge etc and maybe 6 points.

I got a 30% discount for pleading guilty online and ended up with something like £580 but after court costs, victim surcharge and telling the insurance it was a grand in the end.

Speeding punishments have changed big time.

Were you a lot over?

As far as I know, fixed penalty's are the same as they ever were, if you get offered them, its when the speed is too high to get offered a fixed penalty or driving course and they summons you for a court day is when you get hammered with the new structure.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    If it's the one near the Audi garage I don't see the point of it. Well, apart from a moneymaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    If it's the one near the Audi garage I don't see the point of it. Well, apart from a moneymaker.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Mrs Tiny got done on Christmas Day, 86mph in a 70mph zone (motorway). She was fully expecting the book to be thrown at her, six points, hefty fine kinda thing and instead got the chance to do the (virtual) speed awareness course and a £60 fine. This was West Yorkshire police too (m62 on the way over to St Anne’s for a socially distanced surprise present drop at her folks).

Ignore the self-righteous.

Most people exceed a limit now and then, but you got done fair and square, so you'll need to take the fine and the points, unless you get lucky with the speed awareness course, which is probably a more constructive outcome.

Insurance won't be dramatically altered by the points.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 25th February 2021 at 09:28.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Were you a lot over?

As far as I know, fixed penalty's are the same as they ever were, if you get offered them, its when the speed is too high to get offered a fixed penalty or driving course and they summons you for a court day is when you get hammered with the new structure.
    58 in a 30 so fully deserved. Quiet country lane near my house so wasn't expecting to be done.

Worth looking at this OP as fines have changed and are based on your weekly income. The cap is £1k for most roads or £2.5k for motorways.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...peeding-fines/

58 in a 30 so fully deserved. Quiet country lane near my house so wasn't expecting to be done.

Worth looking at this OP as fines have changed and are based on your weekly income. The cap is £1k for most roads or £2.5k for motorways.

True, but as I say, fixed penalty fines haven't changed, its only if you get a court summons, the court imposed fines are the ones that have changed.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Speeding is endemic in the UK and enforcement is sporadic and inconsistent leading to these types of discussions.

I don’t know why the system isn’t standardised country wide with a published scale of fines/points then everyone knows the score and we have a bigger network of cameras.

We accept far too much road death and speed is a key factor. Not to mention the environmental damage of speeding.

That’s the one, showed 8 people at work the footage an none saw the van

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Nothing wrong with that.
    I thought they were to be used in accident hotspots.
    If it's the same place I'm thinking of it's all controlled by traffic lights.

Yep that’s the place. Even stopped at the lights at the side of the van, they know your focusing on the lanes so not looking for the van

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Distance between street lights is often a clue.
    Exactly, you need to be in the 'zone' when driving, not thinking about other distractions.
    Hope you get an awareness course.

Always use Waze if I'm going to areas I don't know as it will flash up and alert you to the fixed and mobile revenue collectors.

But Waze does

I thought they were to be used in accident hotspots.
    If it's the same place I'm thinking of it's all controlled by traffic lights.
    Don't care TBH, if they're making money from law-breakers all well and good.

Anyone who believes speed cameras are anything other than highway robbers is very naïve, they have nothing to do with safety.

I would take a pragmatic view if I got caught speeding, pay the tax and consider all of the times that I didn't get caught, even the most self righteous amongst us speed, it is unavoidable, especially in modern quiet smooth cars. Most speeding fine are for a few miles over and not hooligans driving like complete tossers, as they know where the traps are.

Master
    Donkeys years ago (about 15 probably) I got 3 points and £60 for 45 in a 30.

I can’t view the photos online either system down! If it was about safety it would be a fixed camera not A van as that would catch 24hrs not just at peak busy times when it’s easier for an hour or so ...

Looks like 3 points and a £100 fine based on those circumstances.

I'd love someone who makes the rules on this to explain why someone who exceeds the speed limit more significantly isn't offered a speed awareness course. Surely these people need the course more. Even if you were to still give the points, I can't see why the awareness course shouldn't be more appropriate than a fine for a first offence. Of course, if the real goal is to generate revenue, that wouldn't be helpful.

Christ! I thought my £300 (reduced to £270 after sending an e-mail with mitigating factors) for 58 in 30 on my bike during TT fortnight on IOM - was brutal!

(heading out of Kirkmichael north end).

You're using the wrong database in that case. Pocketgps world database has fixed, mobile locations and possible (unconfirmed) mobile locations.