closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: bloody hell just caught speeding

Master
    Haven’t read all the replies, but a little anecdote from last month; I had a car ‘right up my a*se’ so to speak as I was driving along at 31mph in a 30 zone. He eventually did a slightly wild overtake on a bend, and lo-and-behold, just going around the bend was a traffic officer in a high bus jacket and a radar gun. I felt very pressured to go faster when the car was behind me, and I’m glad I didn’t. He got a ticket for sure after overtaking me. I didn’t!

Craftsman
    This is the video the awareness courses direct you to:

I was done by this camera which I felt a little cheated as it's on a downhill stretch of what used to be a dual carriageway and even taking your foot off the pedal, it's steep enough to accelerate. Anyhow, guilty as charged and did the course.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.64...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by broxie; 26th February 2021 at 12:59.

Master
    I got done doing 54 in a 30; it was a dual carriageway but I forgot the rule about streetlights and no signage. Apologised in court and made no excuses. It was my first ever traffic offense after 17 years of driving and I got a 7 day ban and an £850 fine.
    Note to self and anyone who's interested, don't declare every single penny you have in the bank and assets because they will use it to maximise how much they can fine you. The guy in front of me at court was doing 120mph on the M40 and he got a 7 day ban and a comparatively puny £300 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    ... Note to self and anyone who's interested, don't declare every single penny you have in the bank and assets because they will use it to maximise how much they can fine you. ...
    So, your advice is to lie to the authorities?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    If the speed traps were positioned where people are most likely to get hurt rather than where they're most likely to get caught, I don't think there would be nearly so much acrimony.

Correct. And time of day too. Lots of tossers in their noisy exhaust souped up cars tearing round at all hours. The only regular speed camera van appearance I see is on a week day afternoon on a stretch of urban road close to the town centre. Commuters and shoppers going about their business. Come back at 11pm and I'm sure there are plenty of very dangerous joyriding speeders - but the speed camera operator is safely tucked up in bed.
    Last edited by David_D; 26th February 2021 at 12:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I remember some years ago the then chief constable of North Wales was regularly in the news defending his policy of zero tolerance for speeding (think he was nabbed himself shortly after but that's another story).

Anyway, an interviewer asked him to justify policing speeding so heavily when burglars were not being caught, to which he replied something along the lines of "last year in my constabulary alone 700 people were killed or had life changing injuries due to speed related incidents, not one person was hurt in a burglary". He was a contentious and controversial figure for sure but his reply made me think.

To say "not one person was hurt in a burglary" is grossly ignorant. The psychological harm of burglary can't be overstated.

So trying to get my proof of the offence is proving impossible and. I think that’s how they want it so you run out of time and incur a bigger fine or shut up and pay. 57 times I have tried to ring and looked on line 17 times with no luck so the plan works I fill in the form and bend over

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Pretty much yes. I find the process unfair and the fine unjust. If you don't like my advice don't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    To say "not one person was hurt in a burglary" is grossly ignorant. The psychological harm of burglary can't be overstated.
    Indeed it can't be overstated I agree. As I said he was a controversial figure, and I believe he sometimes said things just for the publicity he would garner, but his basic statement about physical harm still stands.

Master
    Waze -

I'm a bit of a rookie with smartphones so please bear with me. So how are people using it - install app on phone, fix phone on dashboard phone holder, and set it up so that it alerts you as you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Waze -

I'm a bit of a rookie with smartphones so please bear with me. So how are people using it - install app on phone, fix phone on dashboard phone holder, and set it up so that it alerts you as you drive?
    Yes or if you have Apple/Android Car play you can have it as an app on there so it's on your main car screen

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Yes or if you have Apple/Android Car play you can have it as an app on there so it's on your main car screen
    Many thanks Vanguard. I keep hearing people praising Waze so it seems like I need to migrate from Gmaps and bench-test it...

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    So trying to get my proof of the offence is proving impossible and. I think that’s how they want it so you run out of time and incur a bigger fine or shut up and pay. 57 times I have tried to ring and looked on line 17 times with no luck so the plan works I fill in the form and bend over
    Why do you doubt the speed the NIP stated?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

They may not provide any evidence at this stage.

What number are you calling? (01274 373720 is West Yorkshire' Casualty Prevention Partnership)

You can e-mail them on:- camera.unit@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

The police do not need to prove that a crime was committed to send out a NIP, and previous challenges to the NIP have established that signing and returning the NIP does not force the driver to unfairly incriminate him or herself. This means that you should always return the NIP, even if you don’t think you have done anything wrong.Failing to return the NIP is likely to be interpreted as failing to provide driver information, an offence which can result in 6 penalty points and a fine of up to £1,000. This could be a more severe penalty than if you were found guilty of the original offence.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You don’t need to lie, you can refuse to answer the question and leave it to the court to guess

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They may not provide any evidence at this stage.

What number are you calling? (01274 373720 is West Yorkshire' Casualty Prevention Partnership)

You can e-mail them on:- camera.unit@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

The police do not need to prove that a crime was committed to send out a NIP, and previous challenges to the NIP have established that signing and returning the NIP does not force the driver to unfairly incriminate him or herself. This means that you should always return the NIP, even if you don’t think you have done anything wrong.Failing to return the NIP is likely to be interpreted as failing to provide driver information, an offence which can result in 6 penalty points and a fine of up to £1,000. This could be a more severe penalty than if you were found guilty of the original offence.
    Yep thats the number,to be honest im stalled of it ,I feel I wasnt doing 43 mph as i was slowing for the red lights and unfortunately the satelite feature wasnt activated on my dash cam to check (it is now) .It would be just nice to have the proof then ok you got me ,but it feels like they MIGHT have just enough to have me, just need to help us out by confessing regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    OK ,so now I can see the video footage!! .you cant really see its me but the video shows me doing 43 then down to 30 within 4 secs of film!!! absolutely bloody ridiculous!! not a money making tool??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Why not? They have provide you with the proof to prove your guilty, if they can’t you haven’t broken any law! I really hate when they talk about that solicitor “mr loophole”. No it’s not a loophole he’s using it’s just the law.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Why not? They have provide you with the proof to prove your guilty, if they can’t you haven’t broken any law! I really hate when they talk about that solicitor “mr loophole”. No it’s not a loophole he’s using it’s just the law.
    Which they have done.

OK ,so now I can see the video footage!! .you cant really see its me but the video shows me doing 43 then down to 30 within 4 secs of film!!! absolutely bloody ridiculous!! not a money making tool??
    I understand your angst Peter - I got caught last year (ended up doing the Awareness Course) but at the end of the day, I was caught driving above the speed limit.

i must be out of touch,I was under the impression they had to get you over a set time/distance? but slowing from 43mph to 31 mph to the red lights in four seconds of footage seems slightly unfair.The car behind could have had no insurance and 4 bald tyres and he got away with it.in fact we both had our sun visors down due to the sun made seeing the camera van harder.Hey ho,its going in the post any way.although the pics dont show my face so could get the wife to take the hit/course ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I would guess at 3 points and £100 fine. Don't stress about it. Life's too short.
    Fines are in direct correlation with your salary and go in different brackets depending how much you get paid, I got caught near Leeds 2 year ago doing 79 on the MWAY contraflow got 4 points and £600 fine and almost £200 costs as I opted to go court to argue it out

Just checked and I was actually doing 83mph when the 70 red circle was up on the gantry
    Last edited by Hooshabak; 26th February 2021 at 17:44. Reason: Fact checking

Master
    My mate was a camera van operator, I got to see inside the van and was surprised to see the lens on the camera was the same Canon lens I used, he had many stories of people haranguing him about getting a real job and catching burglars etc, he just explained he was a civilian not a police officer, and if they didn’t want to be caught speeding, the answer lay at their own hands(or feet) just stick to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Anyone driven in Italy past speed cameras? I found the Italian driving bizarre...drive like a lunatic until you approach the camera then brake at the last minute and slow to well below the speed...like a good 15 mph below the actual speed limit.
    Not unlike most British drivers on the Motorway if they spot a police car...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Fines are in direct correlation with your salary and go in different brackets depending how much you get paid, I got caught near Leeds 2 year ago doing 79 on the MWAY contraflow got 4 points and £600 fine and almost £200 costs as I opted to go court to argue it out

Just checked and I was actually doing 83mph when the 70 red circle was up on the gantry
    As a matter of interest on what grounds did you want to challenge it?

i must be out of touch,I was under the impression they had to get you over a set time/distance? but slowing from 43mph to 31 mph to the red lights in four seconds of footage seems slightly unfair.The car behind could have had no insurance and 4 bald tyres and he got away with it.in fact we both had our sun visors down due to the sun made seeing the camera van harder.Hey ho,its going in the post any way.although the pics dont show my face so could get the wife to take the hit/course ;-)
    Most people have some kind of justification for speeding - Second time I got done (34 in a 30) I know I was braking down to 30, because that stretch is notorious (near the entrance to Sunningdale Golf Club), but the camera is very close to the limit and I guess I was just a little too light on the brakes, usually I would go down the M3, but it was shut that day.

It was a pain and I felt somewhat agrieved, but I was (just) speeding, so I paid the fee and did the course - It is what it is.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th February 2021 at 18:00.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post

That is correct only if you get sent to or opt to go to court.

The usual more common fixed penalty fines are still £100 and points.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks to the OP for the unintentional heads up. I regularly come home from Leeds that way, so will be extra cautious. Not that I’m not 1000% cautious at all times, especially when behind the wheel. Like everyone else who has commented. Obviously.

I once knew a police constable/sergeant/deputy chief/head of traffic, who told me..... No, seriously, I did. An armed response chap. Best driver I’ve ever had the pleasure of following. Stick to the numbers; NSL have fun. If you get done, suck it up, lick your wounds and get on with life.

West Yorkshire Casualty Reduction Partnership (I’m sure there used to be a “camera” reference in that title) could do themselves a huge favour and attempt to enforce speed limits in the areas they are really needed, rather than the easy targets. Unfortunately for them though, that would reduce their revenue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not unlike most British drivers on the Motorway if they spot a police car...

As a matter of interest on what grounds did you want to challenge it?

I wanted to challenge it as I thought the circle flashed on just as I was going under the signs so didn’t have enough time to slow, and yes I know I was well above the limit but just thought it was unfair

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    That is correct only if you get sent to or opt to go to court.

The usual more common fixed penalty fines are still £100 and points.

Oh 😂😂 I’ll know better next time then

Unlucky OP. I sympathise... a bit. I was done (over 5 years ago now so my next insurance will be clear - yay).

I was previously a habitual speeder and was caught by a camera van doing 104 on the M74 in Scotland. I saw the (unmarked) van - too late.

Thanks to the Scottish system My ban and £1000 fine was discounted to 6 points and £500 for an early plea. I was so embarrassed as it was the first (and only) time I have been caught.

After that I swapped the Lexus for a hybrid Toyota on the basis that it didn’t encourage me to speed as much as the big lazy quiet V8.

Since then I’ve made extensive use of the speed limiter that comes as standard in Toyotas these days and just don’t speed any more. It annoys people behind me but if I’m not speeding, I cannot be done for it.

I think that the mandatory implementation of these (from next year in the UK on new cars) is well overdue. I find that I’m so much more relaxed driving at or below the speed limit and can concentrate more on the traffic, etc., around me than on the speed of the car.

Although I like the idea of sporty cars I don’t think I’ll be tempted by one again, I’m more interested in comfort, reliability, economy and safety these days.

All the best and hope it’s not too painful on the wallet or licence.

MarkC

Master
    OP should go over to PePiPoo http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5 for proper advice on Speeding and other Criminal Offences

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    West Yorkshire Casualty Reduction Partnership (I’m sure there used to be a “camera” reference in that title) could do themselves a huge favour and attempt to enforce speed limits in the areas they are really needed, rather than the easy targets. Unfortunately for them though, that would reduce their revenue.

Yes, they used to be called the "Safety Camera" partnership having, I think I recall, changed it from "Speed Camera".

^^^^^

Thomas clearly has issues, not withstanding the increased insurance premiums over the next few years.

Being a rebel without a cause may feel 'cool' but it's not, ever.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Spose so, but it doesn't ping on approaching the hazard....
    It wouldn't matter if on or under the speed limit.

___

Just one of those things unfortunately. I got done 9 years ago for doing 69 in a 60 (A14, triple carriageway), but £60 and three points which disappeared four years ago is hardly a big worry. Only time I've been done and I've averaged over 40k per year in 28 years' of driving.

drove past the same spot yesterday no camera van,can't be any deaths there on a friday afternoon??????

drove past the same spot yesterday no camera van,can't be any deaths there on a friday afternoon??????
    Check the local papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    It wouldn't matter if on or under the speed limit.

___

Just one of those things unfortunately. I got done 9 years ago for doing 69 in a 60 (A14, triple carriageway), but £60 and three points which disappeared four years ago is hardly a big worry. Only time I've been done and I've averaged over 40k per year in 28 years' of driving.
    No, you don't understand, if I can leave the legal technicalities of driving to some device or other I can concentrate on what fly to use when I get there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Since then I’ve made extensive use of the speed limiter that comes as standard in Toyotas these days and just don’t speed any more. It annoys people behind me but if I’m not speeding, I cannot be done for it.
    I recently did some work in Portsoy, Aberdeenshire and drove up from Norfolk on the Monday and returned home on the Wednesday. I had cruise or limiter on almost the entire journey. I have a GPS speedometer which shows the disparity between real speed and displayed speed, and using that and the cruise/limiter system meant I just didn't have to worry - particularly on the A90.

I set the limiter to 73 (which is precisely 70 in my car) and just drove. If I got too heavy footed then the car backed off. A great feature.

Some drivers were clearly annoyed by my pedantry, but at one point those same drivers spotted a camera van and suddenly had to jump on the brakes, whereas I didn't. :o)

Master
    Just completed my Speed Awareness Course. A decent alternative to 3 points and a fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So glad we don't have points here in the Netherlands.
    I just cough up a couple hundred Euro's annually, usually for a couple of 5 km/h offenses in places with about zero risk and I go on with my life.

I have about zero understanding for and zero sympathy with the officials who arrange these checks. Somehow checking large highways always prevails over checking the 30 km/h zone around my kids school. I know lots of dangerous places that are never checked and quite a number of easy places (end of highway and therefore lower limit etc.) that are very regularly under close scrutiny.

It at least appears to be just about the money, not about safety.
    Last edited by Bernard; 27th February 2021 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    We had an a*hole like that on the first course I did.

Obviously far too important to waste a morning of his life (I can't remember what worthless item he sold, but he was a salesman) being educated (I got the impression he hadn't wasted a great deal of time on that ever...).

All he did was grumble and sigh repeatedly about having to waste his morning (In fact, I may have imagined this in retrospect, but I think he actually walked in and said to the person running it "I'm here, so sign me off, so I can get on with my life") and he very quickly pissed off everyone else on the course to the point that everyone was mocking him by the end.

The best bit was when they asked what we'd been captured at - He was one of the 34 in a 30 majority and looked absolutely crestfallen when a few us reported being recorded at over 80 in a 70. Clearly he felt it was a competition, but it made me laugh to see the look on his face!

Personally, I think the courses are very useful - Every now and then some idiot suggests retesting every X years, but I certainly don't think a reminder on a lot of things would go amiss every few years - There were certainly things I'd forgotten in over 20 years of driving and it was remarkable how few people could correctly identify the appropriate speed limit for a road without a sign...

That said, every single day I drive, I follow someone through a 50 or 60 MPH section of single carriageway at 40 MPH only to see them continue on at that speed when they reach a 30 limit. Oddly, I rarely see the Police do anything about them...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th February 2021 at 17:12.

would take the course and fine if offered but i doubt ill get that ,did a course 18months ago.from a 30 to a national but didnt realise the actual range of the camera,caught me 3 mph over 30 and 8yds short of the national

would take the course and fine if offered but i doubt ill get that ,did a course 18months ago.from a 30 to a national but didnt realise the actual range of the camera,caught me 3 mph over 30 and 8yds short of the national
    Yes, they should mark their effective range on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    If the speed traps were positioned where people are most likely to get hurt rather than where they're most likely to get caught, I don't think there would be nearly so much acrimony.
    It`s funny isn`t it that all these accident `blackspots` where speeding contributes to a reduction in road safety and where speed cameras are often positioned just happens to be on the other side of a blind bend, hill/dip (often where there is also a change in speed limit) with a handy layby or parking place for the scamera van to park in.

Master

You can only do it again once 3 years has elapsed. And it’s not course and fine, you pay for the course but it’s not officially a fine.

In saying that, you were caught doing 33 in a 30? Seems rather harsh, given the usual 10% margin of error.

I think, but not certain that whilst you are only supposed to be offered the course once in 3 years, the database might not be cross referenced between forces, a pal of mine got caught a few months apart in different areas and got to do a course for each one, it might have been a oversight or slipped through the net but he wasn’t complaining.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe if you’d paid attention at that course you wouldn’t be in this situation now. Seriously I think you need to take a good look at your driving style.

Done for 33? Really?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    We had an a*hole like that on the first course I did.
    There was an attendee on my course who made it repeatedly clear he wasn't interested in joining in. The crunch came after he'd been reminded twice to remain on screen and he said he had to get ready for work, at which point the instructor told him he would not be able to sign him off as attending and disconnected the guy.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It’s interesting that people still think that Speedometers over read by 10%+, I have a high resolution GPS speedo for speed events, I’ve checked the normal cars with it, i would say it’s more like 2-3%. If it were legal a high proportion of modern cars could issue their own speeding tickets automatically or just not allow the driver to speed in the first place.