closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: bloody hell just caught speeding

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s interesting that people still think that Speedometers over read by 10%+, I have a high resolution GPS speedo for speed events, I’ve checked the normal cars with it, i would say it’s more like 2-3%. If it were legal a high proportion of modern cars could issue their own speeding tickets automatically or just not allow the driver to speed in the first place.
    In due course I’d expect this to come into force. We have the technology but not the will to massively reduce road death and pollution. I expect driverless cars will ultimately lead this in.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That said, every single day I drive, I follow someone through a 50 or 60 MPH section of single carriageway at 40 MPH only to see them continue on at that speed when they reach a 30 limit. Oddly, I rarely see the Police do anything about them...
    My run into the office is predominantly on country roads with the National Speed Limit interspersed by several villages where it drops to 30mph, some of which have 20mph school zones. I often find myself behind cars that do 40mph throughout.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

It’s interesting that people still think that Speedometers over read by 10%+, I have a high resolution GPS speedo for speed events, I’ve checked the normal cars with it, i would say it’s more like 2-3%. If it were legal a high proportion of modern cars could issue their own speeding tickets automatically or just not allow the driver to speed in the first place.
    Only checked against two of my own cars, but several bikes - and would say the range is between 8% and 10%.

Perhaps cars in the last couple of years are more accurate, but of course will vary with tyre wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Maybe if you’d paid attention at that course you wouldn’t be in this situation now. Seriously I think you need to take a good look at your driving style.
    thanks for that i will.My driving style is fine just not used to entrapment ,if speed was the real reason then put fixed speed cameras everywhere/ or lock cars through gps to the correct speeds,no cant do that it would dry up the funds.The NIP is posted and I will suck it up.I think there are other areas of peoples driving that play major factors in deaths/accidents on our roads that would be better addressed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    thanks for that i will.My driving style is fine just not used to entrapment ,if speed was the real reason then put fixed speed cameras everywhere/ or lock cars through gps to the correct speeds,no cant do that it would dry up the funds.The NIP is posted and I will suck it up.I think there are other areas of peoples driving that play major factors in deaths/accidents on our roads that would be better addressed.
    I get your point but that’s like saying don’t arrest me for robbery as there are rapists that need catching.

As a society we set limits and boundaries through laws for the good of society. Some of those boundaries are more useful than others but all serve a purpose.

For example a speeding driver with their full focus on the road is much better than a drunk one on their mobile just under the limit.

Generally as a society we are self policing, most people respect the boundaries. We need to preserve this culture and the roads are an odd exception where people break the law consistently on a daily basis.

I expect almost every driver speeds, it’s just become the norm so when someone gets caught they bleat ...

At some point the driving culture needs to change to respect life and the environment. I don’t think this will happen until driverless cars prevail.

It's hardly entrapment. No-one has encouraged/incited you to drive faster than allowed.

Naive to think that the sole purpose of speed cameras is safety and not revenue. I did some advanced training with an ex traffic officer a couple of years ago.

Similarly, anyone that manages to miss the posted speed limit, and the van with a camera poking out the back covered in hivis stripes, and then whinges when caught doing nearly 50%above the limit is delusional. Shows a pretty poor standard of observation.

Everyone acquires bad habits over the years, it's why regular top up training is so useful and important. And there's so many resources available to improve, foc.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Naive to think that the sole purpose of speed cameras is safety and not revenue. I did some advanced training with an ex traffic officer a couple of years ago.

Similarly, anyone that manages to miss the posted speed limit, and the van with a camera poking out the back covered in hivis stripes, and then whinges when caught doing nearly 50%above the limit is delusional. Shows a pretty poor standard of observation.

Everyone acquires bad habits over the years, it's why regular top up training is so useful and important. And there's so many resources available to improve, foc.
    What about the van on the A14 at the Stow longa junction that is disguised as an AA van

I could think of far more dangerous roads that should be monitored that would reduce accidents , which I am all for. That stretch hasn’t had a incident for as long as I can remember over 20yrs , but it had 3 lanes leading to the m1/m62 and drivers are more likely to not Be focusing on speed and more on positioning and spacing so don’t see the van in a bus lay-by on the left ...got you! Put a fixed one in ,I think we know why not if we are being honest

Also it caught me decelerating from max 43 to 30 in 4 seconds , really!

What about the van on the A14 at the Stow longa junction that is disguised as an AA van
    Not sure how that stops anyone knowing the speed limit

Your driving style is obviously not fine, you broke the law. You break the law, you pay the fine. Absolutely nothing to whinge about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I could think of far more dangerous roads that should be monitored that would reduce accidents , which I am all for. That stretch hasn’t had a incident for as long as I can remember over 20yrs , but it had 3 lanes leading to the m1/m62 and drivers are more likely to not Be focusing on speed and more on positioning and spacing so don’t see the van in a bus lay-by on the left ...got you! Put a fixed one in ,I think we know why not if we are being honest
    So approaching a known hazard (multiple lanes etc), wouldn't slowing a bit to give yourself more space and time be the more sensible course of action? If you can't process the road situation, the hazards around you, whilst being aware of the speed limit (and your own speed), you probably are travelling too fast for your skillset and the situation.

And you've been driving that stretch for 20yrs, and didn't know it's a 30? But your observation isn't an issue??

If we accept there's definitely an element of revenue raising, and safety isn't always the primary concern with camera locations, surely being more aware of the possibility is the logical course of action?

You have to accept (imo) that they're sneaky, they aren't always where you expect. But, if that's accepted, you also have to agree that they catch their fair share of inattentive drivers that haven't spotted them and aren't aware of the speed limit.

I am one of those idiots that thinks re-testing is a good idea, or at least re-education, and certainly sight testing. That idea was reinforced when I took a lift with a 90-year old to help them get rid of rubbish at the local tip (south). In the space of 5 miles we had gone around a 90 dgree right hand blind bend, with a wall on the offside, with the solid white lines up the centre of the car. Then we were heading toward the kerb as we approached traffic lights. I had no choice but to correct the steering.

I used to ride a very big and obviously visible motorcycle and countless times cars would pull out of junctions forcing me to brake hard or swerve to avoid them. I was at a motorcycling event one year an I was talking to the police who had turned up in their flourescent car to talk about road safety. I told them that I couldn't believe how many cars pulled out of junctions despite my huge bike. They said we get the same even when we are driving these patrol cars. Immediately a driver says I didn't see you, they should be made an appointment to see an optician.

I regularly see cars and vans pull into the shop near my bus stop with faulty lights, usually brake lights. I always point it out to drivers, in the hope that they will put a new bulb in before the other brake light fails and someone runse into the back of them. So many cars are driven up here with a headlamp not working, or driving at night with no lights or only sidelights on.

Crossing a road as a pedestrian several times a day highlights the low standard of driving these days. Some years ago learner drivers started to be told that there was no need to indicate if there were no other cars around. The Highway Code used to say that you should indicate for the benefit of other road users. Pedestrians are considered road users however, I am regularly crossing a side junction or an exit of a roundabout, and after stepping off the kerb, a car, van, truck, etc, will want to turn left into that junction, and is doing so without indication.

Cycling is a risky business. I have been punishment passed far too often for it to be an accident. I am glad to see that the police are now educating drivers about the safe passing distance of cyclists in a road safety campaign. I have to admit, that on the whole Shetland drivers are very good about leaving a good distance. Due to the lack of trees we are generally able to see much further into the distance, and island life seems to remove the impatience I saw on the roads when I lived in the south. The Highway Code says to leave as much space as you would to overtake a car. Cyclists riding without lights at night or jumping red lights at any time of the day deserve all they get. I find it odd that drivers often moan about cyclists being on the road, but then moan when cycle paths are constructed.

Parking on pavements is a bugbear to us pedestrians, especially those of us who have had to push pushchairs or wheelchairs. It's illegal to drive on a pavement, but I have never seen anyone prosecuted for it.

According to the back of my faded Highway Code: -

- you have a 1 in 200 chance of being killed in a road accident

- every day, on average, 10 people are killed and around 120 are seriously injured in road accidents

- about half of all accidental deaths of children are due to road accidents

- pedestrians and cyclists account for 1 in 3 of thos killed in road accidents

- 1 in 5 drivers involved in an accident in which someone is injured is aged under 25.

It seems strange to me that we accept this level of death and injury.

I haven't driven a car for over three years. I may never drive one again, but as long as I am under 70 I can just jump in any car as long as I have insurance MoT and VED. All without any training, re-education or a sight test - bizzare!

Master
    I always stick to speed limits. I used to drive circa 40k a year in the south east of England. Most drivers that careered around me speeding past were caught up with shortly after by me sticking to the speed limits. They just got to the next holdup a little quicker!! :0)

OK ,so now I can see the video footage!! .you cant really see its me but the video shows me doing 43 then down to 30 within 4 secs of film!!! absolutely bloody ridiculous!! not a money making tool??
    i must be out of touch,I was under the impression they had to get you over a set time/distance? but slowing from 43mph to 31 mph to the red lights in four seconds of footage seems slightly unfair.The car behind could have had no insurance and 4 bald tyres and he got away with it.in fact we both had our sun visors down due to the sun made seeing the camera van harder.Hey ho,its going in the post any way.although the pics dont show my face so could get the wife to take the hit/course ;-)
    drove past the same spot yesterday no camera van,can't be any deaths there on a friday afternoon??????
    would take the course and fine if offered but i doubt ill get that ,did a course 18months ago.from a 30 to a national but didnt realise the actual range of the camera,caught me 3 mph over 30 and 8yds short of the national
    Your driving skill is anything but fine.

The problem isn't the camera's...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

At the end of the day it’s an easy catch , let’s get everyone retested every 5 yrs over over the age of 50 with a medical That would help reduce accidents

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the end of the day it’s an easy catch , let’s get everyone retested every 5 yrs over over the age of 50 with a medical That would help reduce accidents

This article might suggest that the retesting should be done on younger drivers, with their higher accident figures, as well. It mentions that a concern about older drivers is they perception that they are perhaps more of a hindrance than a danger. https://www.click4reg.co.uk/blog/dri...e-of-25-cause/
    Last edited by JonRA; 28th February 2021 at 16:39. Reason: link added!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you look at the stats you will find it’s not old people that are the issue.

There is a reason why people with speeding convictions pay more insurance. Same with young drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Most drivers that careered around me speeding past were caught up with shortly after by me sticking to the speed limits. They just got to the next holdup a little quicker!! :0)
    That was one of the more memorable observations made by the guy who took the Speed Awareness Course that I attended a few years ago.

In many, if not most, instances, he was right and over the course of a journey, you’re likely to lose little, if any, time by sticking to the speed limits.

Rather than use the speed limiter, I tend to drive most places on cruise control these days although not all systems are as easy as the single stalk of the Mercedes system.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    that they are perhaps more of a hindrance than a danger. https://www.click4reg.co.uk/blog/dri...e-of-25-cause/
    Living on the south coast near Eastbourne, I can confirm that they are definitely a hindrance!

Especially those driving a Honda Jazz! (Including my in-laws)

Blog Entries
    As an aside - most road in London Boroughs are now all 20mph - yet most drivers still run them as if they are still 30mph i.e. they drive at 40-45mph.

I hear w&@rkers speeding up our 20mph road - the only one around here without speed bumps - it sounds like they are reaching 50mph before they reach the end of the road.

Both our cats were killed on this road. Our neighbours cat was hit recently hit and required surgery. Police won’t take action until there is a serious accident or someone gets killed. Ho-hum.

M

I can't understand people complaining about being caught speeding...... i wouldn't be surprised if everyone driving/riding breaks the speed limit several times a day, and then when they get caught try and wriggle their way out of it and come up with all types of spurious excuses.

I seem to get caught on average once every three years and except the consequences as it's no one elses fault but my own., and it means i've got away with it the rest of the time.

No it would not.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I get your point but that’s like saying don’t arrest me for robbery as there are rapists that need catching.

As a society we set limits and boundaries through laws for the good of society. Some of those boundaries are more useful than others but all serve a purpose.

For example a speeding driver with their full focus on the road is much better than a drunk one on their mobile just under the limit.

Generally as a society we are self policing, most people respect the boundaries. We need to preserve this culture and the roads are an odd exception where people break the law consistently on a daily basis.

I expect almost every driver speeds, it’s just become the norm so when someone gets caught they bleat ...

At some point the driving culture needs to change to respect life and the environment. I don’t think this will happen until driverless cars prevail.
    I don't think speeding and robbing are comparable at all.

On top of that, I think everybody has found himself speeding accidentally every now and then: roads that go downhill and make your car accellerate a bit, driving for some time and noticing you went a few mph over the allowed speed, certainly with an able car in which you somehow just don't feel like driving anywhere near the speed limit.

Can happen to us all and I wouldn't hold it against a driver. If you get caught you'll have to suck it up and pay. Happens to me every year, a couple 1-5 km over the limit tickets. Just a regular nuisance.

However, it is painful to realise that the chance of getting caught while blasting the highway with my car is much smaller than while driving a couple of km over the limit at roads that are quite safe but give good options to hide a camera.

Same goes for the schoolarea: quite a few fast driving guys around it. Zero checks by the police.

It isn't about safety (at least: most of the time), it's a business model.

Oh and one last thing. I drive a 6.0 V12. IDGAF about the environmental side. The average electrical vehicle is a bigger source of pollution, just not through the exhaust.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The point is just because there are worst driving offences it doesn’t mean enforcement of speed limits should be ignored.

Everyone speeds as I said, sporadic enforcement just about keeps a lid on it.

Sorry to read your attitude towards the environment but you are entitled to you opinion.

Maybe read this.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/tra...onsumption-and
    Last edited by Montello; 28th February 2021 at 18:57.

The point is just because there are worst driving offences it doesn’t mean enforcement of speed limits should be ignored.

Everyone speeds as I said, sporadic enforcement just about keeps a lid on it.

Sorry to read your attitude towards the environment but you are entitled to you opinion.

Maybe read this.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/tra...onsumption-and
    I have no problem with enforcement. My problem is with the "convenient" enforcement, where a profit can be made, not the dangerous zones that need it.

Btw, if I get caught speeding, I don't whine about it. If you were in the wrong you just have to handle the consequences.

I won't be reading the link. I like driving a real car, that uses fuel. No problem with renewable energy through bio fuel btw., but more against the electrification. I will resist that as long as I can.
    Last edited by Bernard; 28th February 2021 at 20:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post

I won't be reading the link. I like driving a real car, that uses fuel.
    Sadly then your understanding will not progress. All cars use fuel, the point of reducing speeds is so we use less of it ...

Master
    I did a SAC last year, got caught by cam van, first time in 38 years!

Sadly then your understanding will not progress. All cars use fuel, the point of reducing speeds is so we use less of it ...
    Fuel = combustible, stuff you burn. I wouldn't define an electrical charge as such.

I am just plain unwilling to reduce speed for the purpose you describe.
    Speed reduction for safety near schools?
    Count me in. Driving 30 in a living area? Logical.
    You won't catch me speeding there.

However, I own a Daimler V12 and a Porsche because I actually like driving. Driving like they do on the Autobahn.
    Last edited by Bernard; 28th February 2021 at 22:01.

All cars use fuel, the point of reducing speeds is so we use less of it ...
    Whilst it may do so ultimately, it is not the reason for speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No it would not.
    Agreed. Education is a good thing, as is sight testing, but the driving test standards are still bizarre and don't produce good drivers.

Not to mention the cost, inevitable backlogs, loss of livelihoods for not being able to reverse around a blind bend, etc.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

costs would be passed on to the drivers,think of the extra jobs it would create for the industry and make everyone a safer driver aswell. Surely if you have a licence now you can reverse round a blind bend?? Some of the issues are that a lot of drivers have limited ability/skills so dither.Road near me is a national and every week there will be a driver doing 28mph , this causes a massive tailback ,which in turn creates tension and chancers,which in turn produces risky overtakes.

Apart from using my brain/eyes and right foot ,anybody use/recommend a mobile van detecter of some sort to reduce the odds

Apart from using my brain/eyes and right foot ,anybody use/recommend a mobile van detecter of some sort to reduce the odds
    I didn’t know they existed. How would they work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read the road and behave responsibly.

The Highway Code details all the necessary information, and the Speed Awareness Course reinforces that and reminds attendees how to read the road.

You have been advised previously in the thread Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    think they detect the laser in the area and alert you

costs would be passed on to the drivers,think of the extra jobs it would create for the industry and make everyone a safer driver aswell. Surely if you have a licence now you can reverse round a blind bend?? Some of the issues are that a lot of drivers have limited ability/skills so dither.Road near me is a national and every week there will be a driver doing 28mph , this causes a massive tailback ,which in turn creates tension and chancers,which in turn produces risky overtakes.
    Stop being the 'angry man' Peter - you got caught breaking the speed limit, end of. This is not about what you think about the law and other peoples behaviour.

Sorry, I sucked it up - as should you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Whilst it may do so ultimately, it is not the reason for speed limits.
    I never said it was, just highlighted the benefits of reducing speeds by respecting the speed limits.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fuel = combustible, stuff you burn. I wouldn't define an electrical charge as such.

Where do you think the electrical charge comes from?

If we all use less fuel then that’s better for the future or the planet.

will try to chill Chris,but struggling.Already posted the NIP so taking on the chin.3 guys on phones driving today..dont get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Detecting the transmission frequency.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Where do you think the electrical charge comes from?

If we all use less fuel then that’s better for the future or the planet.
    It isn't fuel. It is a charge. I explicitly stated electrical vehicles have no pollution through their own exhaust. Most people with electrical vehicles here use their solar panels to charge their car. They actually often have a car through their work, they sell the electricity to their work at a premium and that's quite lucrative here.

Now, for their houses they now need to buy electricity which is often made by burning bio-mass. Not good for the environment.
    Anyway, still no fuel to go into the car.

@peter2704:
    I had to drive for a couple of hours today. I've seen people at the traffic lights on their phones that I believe to be on Facebook etc. Really dangerous. More so than most other forbidden behaviour in a car, I think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    will try to chill Chris,but struggling.Already posted the NIP so taking on the chin.3 guys on phones driving today..dont get me started
    Mobile use probably creates more risk to others than speeding, but that does not mean speeding is ok.

Legislation is struggling to keep up with technology.

Peter a National is not a target, it’s a maximum permissible speed. I drive an old ex military defender with a 2.5na Diesel engine I am lucky with a tail wind and down hill if I can achieve 60, at this point my eardrums are oozing blood. Then to cap that some irk in a golf gti speeds past me slamming on his brakes. Defenders don’t stop very well at the best of times and he then shites a brick as I nearly take out his rear. Causing him more anger and angst. More braking. Life’s too short. Speed Limits Lives
    Speed & anger Kill

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    As an aside - most road in London Boroughs are now all 20mph - yet most drivers still run them as if they are still 30mph i.e. they drive at 40-45mph.
    If you drive 20 on a 20 road in London you WILL be overtaken, preferably in the worst possible spot, on any side.

My favourite was being overtaken (on my right) when I had briefly stopped to ensure clear passage before turning right into my road while indicating, apparently I wasn’t fast enough. Mind blown.
    Last edited by jonasy; 1st March 2021 at 00:41.

I posted about that much earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I posted about that much earlier in the thread.
    So did I.

No point having a laser detector - they are expensive and illegal.

Waze is free and legal.

@peter2704:
    I had to drive for a couple of hours today. I've seen people at the traffic lights on their phones that I believe to be on Facebook etc. Really dangerous. More so than most other forbidden behaviour in a car, I think.
    Phones, drug driving, drink driving, this happened yesterday outside my mates home,
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...cked-off-bike/
    The kids a class pupil at my daughter's school (she's a teacher)

Master
    You would have to do all of them, but it might cause problems. One of my roles is doing driving assessments and training for a national haulage company, the amount of drivers I assess that are below standard is unbelievable that come for jobs, I’ll fail around 50% that come in to work and not allow them on the road in our vehicles. That’s everything from speeding, clipping corners, being uncourteous to road users, positioning and a whole gambit of others. The majority become arrogant when they get failed and sent off site, my reply is simple if they can’t behave for 2 hours then what chance is there the rest of the time.