closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Farer Exmoor

Master

Farer Exmoor

There doesn't seem to be much interest in Farer in this parish. I owned a Farer GMT previously. I liked the colour, finish was great, bracelet was very comfortable, but wore too big for me and ended up selling it. I liked their compressor also but never really saw another model that attracted me

Their new release, the Exmoor appeals me. It has a field watch aesthetic, is slightly smaller (38.3mm) and a pointer date complication and a workhorse Selitta movement. Also the colours are toned down for Farer with two other models in the same range with funkier dials. Overall I think I like it. Anyone else interested?

Craftsman
    I like this a lot.
    I have been aware of the brand for a while but the recent releases are very appealing. That said I did also like the bold colour ways of the earlier models but I was never sure about the bronze crown.

Yes, very much so I have been looking at this exact watch and also the world time watch. I actually like the fact the colours are a bit out there at least they are trying to be different. Good to read your comments about the fit and quality of the watch I am guessing you got it with the bracelet and 2 straps right? Whats the quality of the bracelet like?

Master
    I do like Farer watches and this seems to be another good value addition to their range. I like the different straps that are included,

It is interesting that they refuse to discount any of their watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Yes, very much so I have been looking at this exact watch and also the world time watch. I actually like the fact the colours are a bit out there at least they are trying to be different. Good to read your comments about the fit and quality of the watch I am guessing you got it with the bracelet and 2 straps right? Whats the quality of the bracelet like?
    I actually had a different model, the Lannder III which is their GMT: https://farer.com/products/lander It's 40mm with a smaller bezel. I thought it was a little big and I didn't find much use for the GMT function.

I bought it with the optional bracelet which I though was really good. Good quality, comfortable, and a secure butterfly clasp.

I like some of their designs and find some abhorrent. Either way, I respect that they’re willing to constantly experiment with colours.

The Lander and Cobb are my two favourites to date.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post

True and they don't seem to hold their value that well. But on the plus side they give a 5 year warranty and when I contacted their customer service team to look for a spare pin for the bracelet, they were very helpful.

I like the brand, I like field watches, I like pointer dates, and used to work for Exmoor Ales so even the model name is to my liking.

However, for some reason this one doesn't do anything for me, weird.

Can't help feeling they're a bit toppy price wise for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I do like Farer watches and this seems to be another good value addition to their range. I like the different straps that are included,

Never noticed the brand before but I do like this.

Refreshing IMO that they don't discount. If they are happy to sell for a price just sell for that price, not for a higher price that they then discount.

Interesting the point about losing value on resale I did read somewhere that you dont see many of them on the second hand market. The watch I plan to buy will be one to keep so resale isnt really an issue to me a bit like Dornbluth in that respect. I sort of see Farer as not so much a brand to buy and flip but rather to buy and keep. I like that they are a bit different I think they put a bit more effort into their watches with their colour designs to make them stand out than the usual bland diver, dress, pilot watches that get churned out by small or micro brands.

Master
    Big fan of the brand and will be looking to add a Bernina to my Hecla when they make another batch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much interest in Farer in this parish. I owned a Farer GMT previously. I liked the colour, finish was great, bracelet was very comfortable, but wore too big for me and ended up selling it. I liked their compressor also but never really saw another model that attracted me

Their new release, the Exmoor appeals me. It has a field watch aesthetic, is slightly smaller (38.3mm) and a pointer date complication and a workhorse Selitta movement. Also the colours are toned down for Farer with two other models in the same range with funkier dials. Overall I think I like it. Anyone else interested?

I think that looks great. Purposeful, clear and robust.

I would love to like their range, they seem to be headed in many good directions.
    But somehow all of their models have a detail or three that jar.
    The bronze crowns were an odd affectation, and now they seem to wan to add one too many colours to their dial/hand combinations.
    This simple field watch has a dial featuring 5 colours (base green, white numerals, yellow indices, blue and white script and orange for the date of the last 4 days). It also has 3 colours on the hands (even allowing the seconds tip to be the same as the date).
    And why are the last 4 days different? If it were the last 3 (as all months have 28 days) I might understand.
    It is also hard to pick one in the range when so many details differ in the same model.
    The field range of 3 models has 3 colours, fine. But in those colours are 2 different dial designs, and 3 different lume treatments.

I like most of it, but it seems they are trying to cover too much ground with every model.
    I would prefer to see a little of the Halios design philosophy of striking simplicity with confidence in the simplicity of the design.
    D

Master
    There are two more watches in the range with different colour schemes. The Lomond is probably the most conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I would love to like their range, they seem to be headed in many good directions.
    But somehow all of their models have a detail or three that jar.
    The bronze crowns were an odd affectation, and now they seem to wan to add one too many colours to their dial/hand combinations.
    This simple field watch has a dial featuring 5 colours (base green, white numerals, yellow indices, blue and white script and orange for the date of the last 4 days). It also has 3 colours on the hands (even allowing the seconds tip to be the same as the date).
    And why are the last 4 days different? If it were the last 3 (as all months have 28 days) I might understand.
    It is also hard to pick one in the range when so many details differ in the same model.
    The field range of 3 models has 3 colours, fine. But in those colours are 2 different dial designs, and 3 different lume treatments.

I like most of it, but it seems they are trying to cover too much ground with every model.
    I would prefer to see a little of the Halios design philosophy of striking simplicity with confidence in the simplicity of the design.
    D
    I did read that the reason the last 3 days is a different colour is to remind the user that it’s coming to the end of the month so to adjust it.

I do like Helios but oddly enough never bought one for the opposite reason I just thought “God they look boring!”

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    There are two more watches in the range with different colour schemes. The Lomond is probably the most conservative.

I much prefer your green dial one or the white dial Pembroke. I noticed yours has a textured green dial that doesn’t show on the stock photos, again a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I did read that the reason the last 3 days is a different colour is to remind the user that it’s coming to the end of the month so to adjust it.

I do like Helios but oddly enough never bought one for the opposite reason I just thought “God they look boring!”
    I read that too, except you've assumed the same as I would, that it is the last 3 that are to be adjusted out. Instead they coloured the last 4. Seemed like an excuse to use another colour.
    I agree that Halios can seem to look "boring", but which iconic watch is anything other than a good, simple, design?
    Is the Speedie covered in colours? The sub? Panerai? AP ROO? Genta? PP? Reverso?
    It doesn't matter what you consider to be a great design.
    A good one should stand up without having to be coloured in.
    For me, good design should be quietly understated, and carry the big stick of looking "right".
    I do not think these watches are ugly, far from it. But the designs are not being allowed to speak for themselves, because the coloration is trying too hard, and for me it ends up getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I read that too, except you've assumed the same as I would, that it is the last 3 that are to be adjusted out. Instead they coloured the last 4. Seemed like an excuse to use another colour.
    Isn't it that the last 4 are possibly last in month so adjustment might be needed at midnight.

Craftsman
    They certainly make some decent looking watches and agree the Exmoor in the green has a field watch style to it.
    The trouble I've always had with microbrands is that there are so many, if I started buying the ones I liked then I'd have far too many so I end up not buying any. Probably for the best really.

I would make an exception for the light blue Halios Seaforth though... that one really stands out to me in a sea of slightly overcomplicated designs.

Never heard of them before, very nice dials