closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Everest. The only thing I would change.

New Everest. The only thing I would change.

Hi all,

I am extremely pleased with my gilt dial Everest. However there is just one small thing I would change.
    That being the crown, or more specifically the logo on the crown.
    The "S" engraved on the crown appears to be the old style font (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, my eyes aren't what they used to be). If so it doesn't match the watch, with all the other branding on it.

As a bonus I would also really like if it was raised/embossed (not sure if the correct term), and even better, it be the smiths cornet logo rather than the "S".

What's everyone else's thoughts on this??

Chris.

Couldn't take a clear pic if the crown but didn't want to miss an opportunity to post a photo of the watch.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chris2982; 24th February 2021 at 20:11.

Agree that the Smiths 'booby' logo would be better - IMHO.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Agree that the Smiths 'booby' logo would be better - IMHO.
    Just having the same font "S" as on the rest of the watch would be enough. But yes, the 'booby' logo would be perfection.

Craftsman
    for me I'd say a movement upgrade would be fab, I'm not a fan of a noisy rotor.

I think the hand set size/proportion could be improved.

The Everest text in white rather than embossed black would be cool too.

I think slightly bolder hour markers and numerals would be great too.

Is this sacrilege?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    for me I'd say a movement upgrade would be fab, I'm not a fan of a noisy rotor.
    Not quite as easy as you think. ETA supply us very patchy to say the least, not sure about Sellita but I suspect there are long lead times to get those too. Price would also hike considerably.

I’ve mixed feelings about the Miyota movements, the spinning rotor phenomena seems to affect some examples more than others. I lubricate them with a slightly heavier oil but they still do it sometimes.

I’m wearing one at the moment, a PRS 25 40mm that I bought to fix and sell on, after some TLC its giving 300 degrees amplitude and positional variation is within the COSC range of 10 seconds, an ETA or Sellita wouldn’t run any better. This watch us too big for me but I could be tempted by the 36mm version, these watches make me question why anyone spends 15-20 times as much on something beginning with R! Been there, done that, the Smiths models make far more sense.

Craftsman
    I really don't have an issue with the sound of the rotor unless I hold up to my ear when I flick my wrist. I really just have issues with automatics in general. Call me old fashion but I so like a manual wind, and no complications either, just three handed time teller. I do wish that the crown on the Everest where bigger in diameter like the one on my Lorier Falcon II which is very comparable to the Everest, being itself at 36mm in diameter with a lug to lug of 44mm and a thickness of 10.89mm and it runs the Miyota 90S5 movement, and the crown is fantastic.

I am looking at adding the Commando to my collection soon and I really like the hand set and the subtle differences of the dial.

New Everest. The only thing I would change.

I own the Lorier falcon using a miyota 90s5 and I heard much talk about the rotor noise. I feel it’s one of those things people tend to exaggerate on. I can definitely hear the rotor spinning now and then but have I ever once been in a situation where it’s spun and caused anyone around me to notice. Not at all, and I dont know of anyone who’s had a situation like that either. If I ever hear it, it’s when I’m listening out for it or when the watch is close to my ear. It’s certainly not something I’d list as a negative.

In regards to the S on the crown. I’’m indifferent to it and happy with whatever Eddie chooses, I mean maybe an unsigned crown would be nice. Keeps it clean. I know most wouldn’t like that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theflyingfisherman; 24th February 2021 at 21:48.

I absolutely love the new Everest as is and I’m completely happy with it. I like that there are some subtle differences from the 1016 to make it different and it’s own while still paying homage. I’ve never been a fan of the Miyota movements either and I’m quite impressed with the 9039 so far. I don’t know if it’s the case, but I can barely hear the rotor in mine. It’s also extremely accurate and is gaining +2 seconds a day only. If I wanted the watch to closer resemble the 1016 then I think the hands would need proportioned better, the numerals and hour markers need to be wider and bolder, the Everest logo should be white, use a real riveted bracelet or one without rivets at all, and the crown should have the Smith’s crown logo instead of the S.

As far as the movement goes I haven’t had any issues with mine yet so I’m ok with the Miyota. I’ve heard it’s extremely hard to obtain ETA movements now which is putting more strain on Sellita. Because of this I’ve seen quite a few micro brands using the new PT5000 movement which is supposed to be a clone of the ETA 2824-2 and SW200-1. This could be a potential upgrade from the Miyota if Eddie is able to secure enough.

Overall though I’m quite pleased with mine and feel it doesn’t need changed at all. I like that it’s paying homage to a classic, but still different enough to be it’s own watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    More than happy with the Everest Gilt, like the improved hands, larger De Luxe on the dial and new logo on the case back. The crown 'S' I'm also happy with, along with the Miyota movement, though in both this Gilt and Commando they are loosing between 5 and 8 seconds per day, depending on the day, other examples I've encountered have gained around 5 second per day.

As a comparison the SW210 in the Nav looses 4 to 5 seconds when worn.
    Last edited by Ed875; 24th February 2021 at 23:03.

I think a smiths logo embossed crown would be fantastic. Oh, and a crystal without the milky ring....

The watch head itself, there is nothing I would change. Rotor noise not an issue for me, I can only hear it when shaking to wind it up in silent surroundings, would never hear it wearing the watch out in the world. Crown logo is fine, dial, hands, and text superb. Case size, finish and polishing superb also. Crystal excellent. Why spend more?
    The bracelet? Don't like the look of the pretend rivets, but then I wouldn't like the look if they were real rivets either. However I'm not a bracelet fan generally, mine went straight onto leather, so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Hi all,

I am extremely pleased with my gilt dial Everest. However there is just one small thing I would change.
    That being the crown, or more specifically the logo on the crown.
    The "S" engraved on the crown appears to be the old style font (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, my eyes aren't what they used to be). If so it doesn't match the watch, with all the other branding on it.

As a bonus I would also really like if it was raised/embossed (not sure if the correct term), and even better, it be the smiths cornet logo rather than the "S".

What's everyone else's thoughts on this??

Chris.

Couldn't take a clear pic if the crown but didn't want to miss an opportunity to post a photo of the watch.

Looks nice on the wrist with that strap

Any thoughts on lume colour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The next batch will have the boobies logo on the crown, that was decided last November.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The next batch will have the boobies logo on the crown, that was decided last November.

Eddie
    Fantastic news!

Craftsman
    I would love to see a polar white dial Everest version ... polar white instead of the current cream dial ...

I also would like an option for the original 36mm bracelet (sans rivets) but with a normal clasp instead of the bulky ratcheting one.

Journeyman

Eddie
    Perfect

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I really like my Everest. One thing I've noticed is that the minute pointer doesn't quite line up with the minute indices at the start of each minute all the way around the dial. When I first saw the watch I also thought the dial looked quite sunk down compared to most of my watches. But I don't know how that compares to a 1016. I'm nit picking though as I keep on putting this watch on every morning.

Eddie
    That's excellent news.
    Would it be possible to purchase the new style crown on its own so it can be fitted to mine?

Chris.

Craftsman
    The watches themselves are superb as they are.The revision to the Crown logo on the winder will be the icing on the cake. My only request would be to be able to buy additional alternative bracelet.The standard rivet style fitted is brilliantly engineered and finished i just prefer a jubilee style myself.I wear my own Everest as a daily wearer on an aftermarket jubilee but i wish it was a proper Timefactors Smiths version that could be bought from Eddie like the rivet version can be.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I would love to see a polar white dial Everest version ... polar white instead of the current cream dial ...

I also would like an option for the original 36mm bracelet (sans rivets) but with a normal clasp instead of the bulky ratcheting one.
    +1 for a polar white version (white dial, black hands and markers) and a proper oyster bracelet. Brownie points for no milky ring and a bigger crown.