closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch mojo, lockdown and SOTC

Master

Watch mojo, lockdown and SOTC

Not sure what it is, but the lockdown and being stuck at home for months on end has got me thinking about my collection and what my priorities are.

As it stands I’m sort of losing my enthusiasm for watches. With little opportunity to actually go out and wear a different watch, what’s the point of a collection?. I haven’t worn any other watch than my Datejust since around Sept, the others just sit in a box. And I get the feeling that I’d just like to keep a Chrono, a GMT, a Sub and a Dress watch.

Then again I don’t actually need to sell any of em and having a bit of variety is a good thing. It’s certainly a dilemma and not something I’m going to make any rash decisions about, but the lockdown has certainly changed my outlook on the collection.

So to the collection as it stands today..

Speedmaster Hesolite. Hardly worn

38mm Zenith with bracelet and strap, hardly worn

GMT a firm favourite with lots of use but not recently

Datejust 36mm worn all the time.

Brand new Sub, picked up last year still has all stickers on the clasp...How sad is that?

My 50th Birthday present, unworn since getting a service last year

Daytona, hardly worn

Explorer ll hardly worn... this one probably needs to go.

Nice collection even though there are too many stickers - please fix!

I'd wait until after April to sell the Explorer II personally.

A fantastic collection Enoch.

I enjoy wearing my watches around the house, I don't need to go out to make owning them worthwhile. Am I the odd one here?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice collection even though there are too many stickers - please fix!

I'd wait until after April to sell the Explorer II personally.
    Yeah.. like I said I’m not going to do anything rash, but my gut is saying sell the explorer, the zenith, and the Speedmaster. Which will reduce my insurance risk, and get rid of watches that just don’t get worn, even though they’re lovely pieces.

This isn’t a veiled sales thread by the way, as I’m not prepared to do anything until I have a clearer view of my priorities.

My thinking is that those 3 watches could go towards a nice little camper van, but do I want a camper van?? Not sure yet🤪🤪

No chance I'd be selling a collection like that at the moment unless I needed the money, as the values of all of them will only increase, meaning if you later regret the decision, you may struggle to justify or afford a repurchase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

I enjoy wearing my watches around the house, I don't need to go out to make owning them worthwhile. Am I the odd one here?
    See that’s something I’m not bothered about, just stick the DJ on and get on with my day. I had to go to Llandudno last week so the wife could get her vaccine, I should have taken the opportunity to wear a different watch but I didn’t even think about it.

Now when we were allowed to go to the bike racing, I’d wear the Daytona or the Speedmaster, when I went to Spain or Holland I’d wear the GMT, a wedding the DJ or Zenith, sat on my backside at home...Meh...

Master

You’re not the only one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    No chance I'd be selling a collection like that at the moment unless I needed the money, as the values of all of them will only increase, meaning if you later regret the decision, you may struggle to justify or afford a repurchase.
    No plans to do anything just yet, but the Subs, GMT and Daytona won’t be going anywhere as they’re just to difficult to replace, and I genuinely like them. But a few of the others could go and I’d be ok with it🤔

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is a nice collection; be careful about any rash decisions on watches that will be expensive to replace.

Great collection. Unless you are in need of liquidating then I wouldn't sell based on not wearing. It's a safe bet that collection wont depreciate and even if they sit in the box, the proceeds will just be numbers sat in a bank account anyway. If you are still keen to sell then I'd wait for the imminent change and release of lockdown so you make the right decision.

Master
    Great collection - maybe sell one or two that you really don’t see yourself wearing and then see how you feel.

Nice one Enoch.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yeah.. like I said I’m not going to do anything rash, but my gut is saying sell the explorer, the zenith, and the Speedmaster. Which will reduce my insurance risk, and get rid of watches that just don’t get worn, even though they’re lovely pieces.

This isn’t a veiled sales thread by the way, as I’m not prepared to do anything until I have a clearer view of my priorities.

My thinking is that those 3 watches could go towards a nice little camper van, but do I want a camper van?? Not sure yet🤪🤪
    A nice camper van or another watch. The Explorer is due to be replaced this year, probably in April, with a 50th Anniversary so I would personally hold on until then as it could be worth more of they might increase the price, you never know. If the new one has a ceramic bezel then yours really will be "the last of the tool watches".

Either way it's a lovely collection and you're clearly in the AD's good books.

Honestly, I'd just keep the DJ, GMT and the 50th Sub as the top 3, on the basis of your comment. You wear the DJ a lot, the GMT was a favourite and the 50th Sub represents a milestone.

The Daytona would go as they're silly prices and personally I think they're way overhyped (don't shoot me). I'd be tempted to keep one of the speedy/zenith combo to be fair, but not if trimming to 3. The extra Sub you haven't even taken stickers off and a GMT II that clearly isn't a favourite would both go.

My personal rational is I'd rather have a few watches I build memories and connections with, than a large collection that just becomes a weight on my mind. Of course that's a personal perspective, plus it's easy to say what I would hypothetically do when I don't actually own any of these watches or have the make the decision!

Master
    Thanks for your thoughts^^^^ Most of which I agree with, apart from the Daytona. I genuinely like that watch, and love to wear it. I know the values are crazy, but I also know I’d never get another one. As for the new sub, that would have been worn by now if we hadn’t been in lockdown so that will get worn sooner or later.👍

Blog Entries
    My own 'rule' is - if a watch is not worn in a 3 month period then it is liable to get sold - either put cash back in the watch fund or toward something else. I have been rash selling a few and regretted that - but then wouldn't have been able to afford other nice pieces.

I can understand how that DJ has become your goto watch - it can handle just about any situation.

Try and keep a steady head for a month or two and see if you feel the same. If you do then maybe sell some for something else. All the best. I think this weird lifestyle has affected us all. But wearing different watches has kept me on the right side of sane (that's what I tell the wife anyway!).

(Lovely collection btw)

Martyn

Grand Master

I’ve had similar feelings to the OP but decided against selling any, I’ve resorted to wearing mine around the house in rotation.

Each to his own, OP’s got some excellent watches, most don’t appeal to me, but he liked them enough to buy and on that basis should keep them. Most of that collection are ‘eating nowt’, the value will be creeping upwards or flat- lining at worst, so they’re costing nothing to keep.

My advice to the OP is this: have a look in the mirror then give yourself a slap to bring you back to your senses.........don’t sell ‘em!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th February 2021 at 01:13.

That's a nice collection, but I understand that the mania can subside sometimes (and possibly should - with just some fag-packed maths, that's £65k in watches you've got there, and you're clearly not enjoying them all.)

Get a load of them sold, get down to three wearers, three keepers, and think what else you can do with the money!

Master
    If I could sell 3 watches and then make some memories tootling about in a campervan, and making some more memories, then that’s what I’d do.

It’s not like you wouldn’t have some lovely watches still to wear whilst you did that.

I tend to be a cloud chaser regarding hobbies, they come and go, but watches have been an interest all my life, and whilst that is unlikely to change the intensity of interest does go up and down.

It’s understandable with what we’re going through that you’re starting to look towards an outdoor pursuit to interest you, so I say why not?

Master
    ^^Definitely something I’ll be giving some serious thought to when things get moving again👍

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Re-assess mojo when the world is a little less like an apocalypse imo Enoch.
    The steel rolex arent devaluing while sitting in the box.

I suppose if youre intent on offloading a few id say ditch the zenith, speedy, and exp.

nice collection, i've found that as i'm wearing sweats and t shirt every day putting one of my watches on sometimes cheers me up a little! that said, i still don't wear them that often.

im not interested in watches as an investment, but most of my funds are sitting in cash atm. so no idea what i'd do with the money even if i did sell really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Re-assess mojo when the world is a little less like an apocalypse imo Enoch.
    The steel rolex arent devaluing while sitting in the box.

I suppose if youre intent on offloading a few id say ditch the zenith, speedy, and exp.
    Seems you’re a mind reader Celia😈😈 Those 3 would make a nice down payment on a small camper van👍

But as you say well worth reassessment when things become more normal. Whenever that may be.