closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone know what this is?

Anyone know what this is?

Going through the painful task of sorting out the late father in laws estate at the minute and have come across this oddity. Looks to be made of ivory, about 8” inches long. It has a spiral shaft with another piece attached which basically slides up and down turning a small gear/cog at the top. I initially thought it was a flint/fire lighting thing or related to the textile industry somehow, but for the life of me I have no idea wtf it is?
    Anyone any ideas at all?

C19th "Archimedes" drill. Probably surgical/dental - looks very finely made.

Archimedes Drill as stated. Certainly Top end as it looks like ivory or poss whale.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well I never! That’s very interesting in deed, we had no idea what it was. He wasn’t a dentist by the way, so obviously a trinket he picked up along the way. I’m now trying to find out where it was made.

I will have a good look again tomorrow when I’m there to see if there are any markings on it.

Thanks ever so much guys, you’ve been very helpful.

It’s a slow worm catching device.

Master
    Victorian contraceptive coil?

Craftsman

Dental drill

It's definitely an Archimedes dental drill.

You should try and have a look to see if there are any drill bits stored inside the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post

You should try and have a look to see if there are any drill bits stored inside the handle.
    Yes, the base does look as if it might Un screw. Never gave that a thought. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post

Just spotted something about that online as well. Will report back with my finding tomorrow once I’m back at the property.

cheers guys as always much appreciated

Don't think it's a drill. Would you want someone drilling on your tooth while sliding that arm up and down?

Besides. Has a gear type thing on the end rather than a chuck.

Thinking more of something that has to do with a fireplace. One piece hold a flint, while sliding rod gear rubs creating sparks

18th century maybe.

DON

Anyone know what this is?

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Don't think it's a drill. Would you want someone drilling on your tooth while sliding that arm up and down?

Besides. Has a gear type thing on the end rather than a chuck.

Thinking more of something that has to do with a fireplace. One piece hold a flint, while sliding rod gear rubs creating sparks

18th century maybe.

DON
    That was my initial thought but as has been quite rightly pointed out it’s most definitely an archenemies drill used for dental work. As many know it was quite barbaric in the 19th century, no one would ever want to visit the dentist for this exact reason, this was a tool of the trade back then as they had no other option.

Picture below taken from a dental history site. Looks very similar indeed.

Agree a dental device but unless it can somehow take bits, probably to grind teeth rather than drill.

It's incomplete. Hence no chuck assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    That was my initial thought but as has been quite rightly pointed out it’s most definitely an archenemies drill used for dental work. As many know it was quite barbaric in the 19th century, no one would ever want to visit the dentist for this exact reason, this was a tool of the trade back then as they had no other option.

Picture below taken from a dental history site. Looks very similar indeed.
    Makes me cringe

DON

Well, I have it a shake and could hear something inside. The lid was really tight, but eventually unscrewed to reveal all these little bits inside! They just simply slot into the end.
    When in operation it even has a horrible squeaky sound, the thought of these being used on somebody !
    Even still very interesting find and something to take y mind of the more mundane things I have to do.

Thanks again guys

Nice that it's so complete. Worth wiping those drill bits over with a little WD40 or similar to clean them and make sure they don't rust any more.

A little candle wax rubbed into the thread of the cap will make it easier next time, and perhaps a little beeswax and almond oil for the bone handles - lightly applied and gently rubbed-in, make sure it doesn't split. I'd leave the rest of the steel alone if possible.

Was it made by Torquemada? Looks like his sort of equipment. The stuff of nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Nice that it's so complete. Worth wiping those drill bits over with a little WD40 or similar to clean them and make sure they don't rust any more.

A little candle wax rubbed into the thread of the cap will make it easier next time, and perhaps a little beeswax and almond oil for the bone handles - lightly applied and gently rubbed-in, make sure it doesn't split. I'd leave the rest of the steel alone if possible.
    THIS!!!