closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance and No claims bonus expiry

Car insurance and No claims bonus expiry

I have a decade of No claims bonus accrued that is about to tick over two years without being used on a vehicle. Am I right that if I don’t quickly insure a car I will lose all that and it resets to zero? If so, anyone got a cheap banger with an MOT I can buy?

A period on non-insurance could affect the NCB, perhaps not a complete loss though. I had a period of vehicle non-insurance whilst based abroad, but IIRC it only resulted in a reduction of my full NCB not a reset to zero.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I have a decade of No claims bonus accrued that is about to tick over two years without being used on a vehicle. Am I right that if I don’t quickly insure a car I will lose all that and it resets to zero? If so, anyone got a cheap banger with an MOT I can buy?
    Have you actually asked this question of the company who currently insures you for a proper answer ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Have you actually asked this question of the company who currently insures you for a proper answer ?
    Not sure I follow...by his very question doesn't it mean he has no car and no current insurer?!

Accepting a no claims bonus isn't up to the insurer that supplies the previous no claims certificate. It will just be a paper with "10-years no claims" statement. It's up to the next insurer to decide how long that remains valid for without continuous insurance. The OP is correct in that most companies set a 2-year limit.
    Last edited by Christian; 24th February 2021 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure I follow...by his very question doesn't it mean he has no car and no current insurer?!

Accepting a no claims bonus isn't up to the insurer that supplies the previous no claims certificate. It will just be a paper with "10-years no claims" statement. It's up to the next insurer to decide how long that remains valid for without continuous insurance. The OP is correct in that most companies set a 2-year limit.
    Fair comment I guess. What about posing the question to the last insurer then ?

I've just been through this myself as I was approaching 2-years. The vast majority seemed to apply a 2-year limit in their terms. I guess if you leave it 3-years there may be companies that would apply the discount but I guess you are limiting your insurer options.

I think a lot of couples with one car alternate who is the insured driver and who is the named driver. You've got to be careful though that the insurers terms allow the main driver to potentially not be the registered owner and keeper if you do this though.

Master
    Its validity going forward will be defined by the insurer who is asked to accept it. My own belief is 2 years.

Master
    I lost all my NCB when I had a company car. The 2 years was the limit for not insuring a car of my own.

Craftsman
    I had this exact case recently, and can confirm that the majority of insurance companies restricted the no claims bonus to 2 years.

However, I did find an insurance company that excepted the NCB which was less than three years old.

I went to the usual comparison sites and then working through the list, discounted those who wouldn’t except my no claims bonus. He didn’t take too long probably got through five or six insurance companies and ended up paying 3-4% more. To me it felt like a worthwhile sacrifice given I’ve got to maintain my no claims.

Other thing that surprised me was that car insurance is very cheap at the moment due to the pandemic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've just been through this myself as I was approaching 2-years. The vast majority seemed to apply a 2-year limit in their terms. I guess if you leave it 3-years there may be companies that would apply the discount but I guess you are limiting your insurer options.
    - is the answer.