closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV pawn show

Craftsman

TV pawn show

Was watching this show on stv ,some watches for sale ,ex member of Black lace sells air king for £2000 he wanted £4000,a women is offered £8000 for her GMT ,she rejected it and another women has a patek perpetual calendar she wants to sell ,she got it off her grandfather who won it in a poker game and has no idea what it's worth she is offered £85000 and takes it ,she is using the money to fund life changing operation for her son .You wonder how real these programmes are and how much is faked

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Also just watched this. Bit cheeky offering £8k for the Rolex but would love to know the true value of the Patek. 🤔

Only £2000 for an Air King, Agadoo... that would smart a bit

Prestige pawnbrokers?

Just flicking through the channels and stumbeled on the guy looking at the Patek....no expert on these at all but started googling just to see if 85k was ok. Is it a 5970?

Craftsman
    It looked like either a 5970 or a 5270 but they only showed it for a second so couldn’t tell.

The story seemed a bit far fetched.

Craftsman
    It was a variety of pawn brokers ,the guy that bought the patek was based in Sheffield

Craftsman

TV pawn show

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Prestige pawnbrokers?
    No, think the series dumped Prestige after the owner was convicted of assaulting the mother of his children.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t think the guys from Sutton’s & Robertson’s came across too well. They seemed as though they were plucking figures out of the air when they were in the back room. Also, their £8k bid on the Batman (with stickers still on) was a bit low.

Also, I’m not sure why the kid with the Lamborghini Urus didn’t go straight to car dealers for bids rather than a pawnbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    It looked like either a 5970 or a 5270 but they only showed it for a second so couldn’t tell.

The story seemed a bit far fetched.
    It didn't have the dot windows in the lower half of the dial and had a 1.2,3,4 indicator in the right subdial and 24hr dial inside the left subdial

They have to be actors and the whole thing made up, would those people really take the first offer without checking, I wonder what watchfinder and co would offer for a sticker’d as new BNLR, I had a quick trowel and the closest PP I could find online was £175k but I’m no expert, someone on here must know.

Craftsman

TV pawn show

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It didn't have the dot windows in the lower half of the dial and had a 1.2,3,4 indicator in the right subdial and 24hr dial inside the left subdial
    Sounds like a 5970 then. Was it rose gold?

I would be very interested to hear from Haywood with his thoughts on the prices offered, if he watched the programme.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Only £2000 for an Air King, Agadoo... that would smart a bit
    It was £2500.
    Still rather low.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Was watching this show on stv ,some watches for sale ,ex member of Black lace sells air king for £2000 he wanted £4000,a women is offered £8000 for her GMT ,she rejected it and another women has a patek perpetual calendar she wants to sell ,she got it off her grandfather who won it in a poker game and has no idea what it's worth she is offered £85000 and takes it ,she is using the money to fund life changing operation for her son .You wonder how real these programmes are and how much is faked

Google Fran Sawyer (Patek lady.....)

She’s quite a “character” shall we say........!

Sounds like a 5970 then. Was it rose gold?

I would be very interested to hear from Haywood with his thoughts on the prices offered, if he watched the programme.
    Couldn't work out if it was yellow or rose

This was the watch...

Master

As often, the production company was directed straight to us to see if we were willing to be filmed.

I said that we were happy to be featured, provided it was not the usual work of fiction with a pantomime cast of stooge "customers" promoting their nail bar / touring band / extraordinary plastic surgery faces.

Their interest in us stopped there....and guess what ?

Grand Master
    I accidentally ended up on this channel and quickly turned it off to avoid adding to the viewer stats.

As with alot of TV these days just pure lazy pointless cheap dribble portraying nobodies with money (or not) as characters that are remotely interesting.
    RIAC

All these so called reality shows have a narrative, the people are found and the narrative formed before filming. It's an entertainment show where a storyline is created:life changing operations, sad circumstances, heart warming tales and sentimentality. And ultimately many of the people watching are more concerned with the money offered rather than the items themselves. We dint know how the researchers choose the 'ordinary members of the public' and what is explained to them. In terms of TV compliance, I would expect that the person has to be informed of the approximate valuation prior to filming.

Master
    My wife wanted to watch it so I did try (with the promise of some rare watches and jewellery up for sale). Sadly, neither the customers nor pawnbrokers were at all likeable.

This is I guess a UK version of the American "pawn stars" style telly. Unfortunately, while we all know its scripted and plastic, at least the American one has interesting things - items of historical value or unique and unusual pieces of Americana.
    The one last night was a group of very dull, uninspiring items I have to say - if I want to look at or know the value of a two year old Lambo, new Tiffany jewellery or a current model Rolex then I'll just look on their respective website. The Patek was really the only interesting thing there and he did seem to have her over on that, it was interesting that they left out the appraisers valuation other than to say "this is a very valuable watch that you'll sell easily".

I didn't see this latest offering, but I did used to watch the US Pawn Stars years ago. They got some interesting items in as previously stated, but seemed incapable of giving a price without independent expert help, usually in the form of the guy from the local museum referred to as the Beard of Wisdom. Why he didn't work in the shop either full time or a few days a week I don't know, would have made more sense.

Once they started a UK version from what looked like a storage unit outside Chester, it all got very silly and I decided to call time on these types of programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    They have to be actors and the whole thing made up, would those people really take the first offer without checking, I wonder what watchfinder and co would offer for a sticker’d as new BNLR, I had a quick trowel and the closest PP I could find online was £175k but I’m no expert, someone on here must know.
    Agree Adrian all seemed very set up to me. Especially the fella selling the car. Just a updated UK version of Pawn Stars IMHO

Didn't see the show but looks like a 5970G in the photo. I don't know whether it came with any boxes/documentation etc but £85k sounds like a fair price for one bought in these circumstances. I was looking at these recently and low £90k's was the best I could come up with for a fully documented watch in a private sale.

Having been involved in a few reality shows I can tell you that the vast majority of stuff is faked and storylines made up.

It's just incredibly cheaply made programming I personally wouldn't waste time on.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I ... quickly turned it off to avoid adding to the viewer stats.
    OT but Do you have a BARB box then? Did you do anything special to get one? I'm always intrigued by TV ratings and those involved.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    As often, the production company was directed straight to us to see if we were willing to be filmed.

I said that we were happy to be featured, provided it was not the usual work of fiction with a pantomime cast of stooge "customers" promoting their nail bar / touring band / extraordinary plastic surgery faces.

Their interest in us stopped there....and guess what ?
    Very interesting! Says something about where they find the people to appear on these shows.

I cannot believe that the lady with the Patek did not know the watch was valuable. The programme was theatre from start to finish. Most of the pawnbrokers did not come off too well either. That being said it was entertaining enough to catch the next episode.
    Last edited by Fuser; 2nd March 2021 at 17:46.

Master
    SS Daytona bought from a car boot, OMG pure dross & showmanship

Craftsman
    Haha I just watched that, shocked at the gold prices on that other fake Rolex

Master
    I was just shocked at the fake - genuine gold - Rolex !

Master
    That "gold" Pearlmaster fake......hmm, I'm not convinced that it really was gold.

As for smashing it with a hammer in front of the client "to recover the gold," why not simply dismantle it as the competent would?

Tapping the glass of the fake Daytona, weighing it and feeling the bracelet......I was ready for him to hold it up to his ear and listen for the sound of race cars.

My younger son immediately saw the problem with weighing it to determine authenticity. "Surely its weight will be affected by how many links are in the bracelet?"

It is theatre and fiction, of which I am not a fan.

Master
    That "gold" Pearlmaster fake......hmm, I'm not convinced that it really was gold.

As for smashing it with a hammer in front of the client "to recover the gold," why not simply dismantle it as the competent would?
    The way the screwdown caseback separated from the case with no damage takes a special kind of skill when wielding a hammer.

Craftsman
    Even though I know it is complete bollox, I still watched it last night (and had a laugh) So, as TV entertainment I guess the programme makers have achieved their objective.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Good point about the bracelet links I never thought of that!

Couldn’t believe they managed to string out the story of the fake boot sale Daytona for so long. As if it was ever going to be real. And a fake Rolex that’s made with 2.5k of solid gold? Smashed to pieces with a hammer? Come on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapping the glass of the fake Daytona, weighing it and feeling the bracelet......I was ready for him to hold it up to his ear and listen for the sound of race cars.

My younger son immediately saw the problem with weighing it to determine authenticity. "Surely its weight will be affected by how many links are in the bracelet?"

It is theatre and fiction, of which I am not a fan.
    It is made for TV and very believable to the masses, saying that, anyone who believed that Daytona was a £25 bargain really needs to ask themselves some questions, like you say weighing it is flawed, tapping the crystal was just cringe worthy and seeing the owner turn up with them all chucked together in a plastic bag made me think she knew full well they were fake.

Perhaps you should offer your services for the next series!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    It is made for TV and very believable to the masses, saying that, anyone who believed that Daytona was a £25 bargain really needs to ask themselves some questions, like you say weighing it is flawed, tapping the crystal was just cringe worthy and seeing the owner turn up with them all chucked together in a plastic bag made me think she knew full well they were fake.

Perhaps you should offer your services for the next series!
    As I've said, I WAS asked to do this series, as I am most of them. I replied that I would be happy to, provided it was not a work of fiction with a pantomime cast of stooge customers participating to promote their concierge service / chauffeur business / tanning salon / new boobs etc.

I heard no more......and look what we got !