closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mouldy straps... YUK!

Threaded View

Mouldy straps... YUK!

Well this is a first for me. One of my watch straps is going mouldy, a fine white powdery mould has developed, it does not smell but its pretty rank. the watch has never been wet, not do I wear it for sport so it has never gotten sweaty or minging and the watch itself is clean, as is the strap.

I do not tend to wear leather straps but one I do wear on a leather strap is a very nice 3646 homage with old pocket watch movement and original style 3 part case. The watch has solid strap bars / loops so the strap is sown on and cannot be removed without cutting the strap off. The strap is super soft and comfortable.

MY question is 2 part.
    1. What can I do to clean the strap to stop the mould from coming back? the watch is stored in a box in a safe so very little air gets to it apart from when it is being worn (once a month at most). the strap would have years of life left if it were not from the mould.

2. failing the above, who would be the best person to talk to about getting a replacement strap, I would want a long, thick mid brown leather strap, preferably using the large original style fish tail buckle currently on the watch. Most strap makers make them for current Pam style watches but I would like something a bit more sympathetic to the nature of the watch. lastly this is a bit of fun homage (although well executed) so I don't want to spend a fortune say £100 max.

Thanks in advance

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd February 2021 at 16:58.