closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mouldy straps... YUK!

Mouldy straps... YUK!

Well this is a first for me. One of my watch straps is going mouldy, a fine white powdery mould has developed, it does not smell but its pretty rank. the watch has never been wet, not do I wear it for sport so it has never gotten sweaty or minging and the watch itself is clean, as is the strap.

I do not tend to wear leather straps but one I do wear on a leather strap is a very nice 3646 homage with old pocket watch movement and original style 3 part case. The watch has solid strap bars / loops so the strap is sown on and cannot be removed without cutting the strap off. The strap is super soft and comfortable.

MY question is 2 part.
    1. What can I do to clean the strap to stop the mould from coming back? the watch is stored in a box in a safe so very little air gets to it apart from when it is being worn (once a month at most). the strap would have years of life left if it were not from the mould.

2. failing the above, who would be the best person to talk to about getting a replacement strap, I would want a long, thick mid brown leather strap, preferably using the large original style fish tail buckle currently on the watch. Most strap makers make them for current Pam style watches but I would like something a bit more sympathetic to the nature of the watch. lastly this is a bit of fun homage (although well executed) so I don't want to spend a fortune say £100 max.

Thanks in advance

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd February 2021 at 16:58.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Your budget is in Toshi teratory.

It seems so, I will make contact to see if he is interested,
    It would be good to have other recommendations if possible

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had a few straps from steveostraps and Martu,both makers are worth a look.

I have heard that freezing straps will kill bacteria, not tried it myself.
    Pav straps are very good too ( Neptune? ) and quite affordable. Toshi’s straps are excellent .
    Cheers..
    Jase

I have had 2 from Martu and they were great but I would either have to send the watch off or find someone here to stitch it on.
    I think I would prefer to send the watch off to a strap maker and have them fit the strap to the watch, they could tweak the strap required as well I guess.
    Pav is also worth a look. I have a strap of his and it’s very nice.

I can’t freeze the strap as I would have to freeze the watch, not sure I want to do that. It’s a vintage pocket watch movement.

Thanks for the suggestions

Sorry, you did say, I think I glossed over that...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Sorry, you did say, I think I glossed over that...
    I am dumb enough to try it though...

Can’t help with new straps but I’d try wiping straps with v. dilute bleach or Milton’s fluid and obviously then dry thoroughly.
    Maybe put some silica gel desiccant in safe in future too, to keep moisture down.

Master
    Stick to NATO's.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Stick to NATO's.
    You have a point, at least when they are manky someone out there will want to buy them...

The watch in question
    As you can see the strap is extra long and I would like to replicate this as per the originals from WW2

I have given the strap a wipe down with vinegar, no more mould and it now smells like a fish supper. I will see how long it remains that way.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th February 2021 at 15:51.

Are you positive that you're dealing with mold?
    Judging from the picture, the strap might be made of oil tanned leather (just a guess, I could be wrong).
    What can happen with oil tanned leather is that over time the fats inside the leather can work their way to the surface of the material and appear as a fine white film or powdery specks.
    I have a shell cordovan strap that develops this "bloom" when it sits unused in the watch box for a longer period of time. The effect is much more pronounced in colder temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Are you positive that you're dealing with mold?
    Judging from the picture, the strap might be made of oil tanned leather (just a guess, I could be wrong).
    What can happen with oil tanned leather is that over time the fats inside the leather can work their way to the surface of the material and appear as a fine white film or powdery specks.
    I have a shell cordovan strap that develops this "bloom" when it sits unused in the watch box for a longer period of time. The effect is much more pronounced in colder temperatures.
    You may have hit the nail on the head! I did not know that, thank you.
    That’s exactly what it looks like.
    It has not been used for a while and it has been cooler (I make ‘er in doors wear a jumper so I can afford more watches)

Glad to be of assistance. That is a good looking strap, would have been a shame to bin it. ;-)

I am leaving teh watch to air for a few days, I might put it somewhere cold to see if it happens again.