closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feels good to be back - and the obligitory state of the collection (yawn)

Feels good to be back - and the obligitory state of the collection (yawn)

Although I joined this forum a while ago now I haven't been around much over the last few years. When I first joined TZUK I was very much an active collector, probably down to the fact that at the time I had a job which allowed me a decent amout of disposable income, and fuelled by a love of watches, but also (I can see now if I'm honest with myself) a mild unhappiness of my life at the time. Initially I contributed a lot to the forum (mainly in watch talk), and bought and sold a few watches (mainly bought ). After the first 4 years of being a member here I found myself with a collection of just over 100 watches (mainly bought from TZUK forum members), but also a small crcle of good friends I'd met through the hobby - many of whom I'm still in touch with and remain good friends today.

There have been several changes to my life since I joined back in 2007 - I got divorced, then re-married, and divorced again (). I lost 40 kgs in weight (and kept it off), quit my job & started working for myself, and I sold up in London and bought a big old house in Devon (and boy, do big old houses take some money to get fixed up!). My collection has slimmed down a little as a result. I realised yesterday that I have only had one new watch in the last 10 years - an Aerospece Evo that I swapped for my Sinn U1000 back in 2015. I've sold a few over the last 10 years though and now find myself down to a comfortable 29. The truth is that the changes I've made to my life have meant that there are other priorities, but also I'm very happy with the 29 watches I've kept. Even though I haven't been posting much I have browsed occasionally and the fact is I rarely saw anything that made me want to spend money on it (with the possible exception of a 216570 which I've always wanted for some reason, although Seabiscuit's photos of his IWC Mk XVIII got my pulse racing a little yesterday ).

I've found myself posting a little more recently and although I see some old names on here I remember, there are a lot of new members I don't know. I therefore thought it might be a good idea to re-introduce myself formally - say hello , and it almost seems obligotory to show the "state of the collection" so here goes -

Panerai - I have a love of these watches and had about 12 at one time, but I'm down to just 4 now. The 233 is my absolute favourite but the only one I can't ever see myself without id my Zero

Anonimo

IWC

Omega - at one time I had a huge collection of Omega from the 60's and 70's. I'm down to these now

Seiko

and the rest... in no particular order

Plus 2 watches I can't seem to find a photo of anywhere - the Aerospace I mentioned earlier that I traded with Maseman back in 2015, and a homage to the Panerai 1938 I bought for nothing back in 2011

So there we are. Hello again, and although I can't see me contributing quite as much as I did over the first 4 years I was a member, I will pop in more frequently from now on and hopefully talk sense occaionally

I think you need more watches

Some nice themes going on there and a great collection - thanks for sharing. And welcome back.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Nice to see you back

Master
    That's an excellent reintroduction and some notable changes over the years. You've a nice, varied collection too but I have no idea how anyone ends up with 100+ watches, although I can relate to the challenge of selling them.

I've seen a few of your Panerai pics of late as I've been contemplating which model would be appropriate as a first Panerai, even though I'm pretty confident I don't have the wrist to carry them off. The 233 is indeed very nice.

The legend returns!

I always loved proper Anonimo, who did bronze way before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. Lovely B&R and Sinn chronographs with the Lemania 5100 too. Panerai Zero has always been the essence of the brand for me.

Great stuff

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great collection, and thanks for making me realise that SOTC stands for 'state of the collection' and not 'sale of the century'!

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Welcome back! Good to hear how life has worked out for you. Enjoy the slimmer collection in continued good health!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    That’s a true collector’s collection. I love the IWC examples, particularly the Aquatimer and Porsche Design. The Certina DS-2 1000m and Benthos 500 too. There’s been some good SOTC posts here in recent times, but this is one of the best and most enjoyable to read.

Welcome back fella. That is a lovely collection and I can see more than a few examples of your exemplary straps.

Now THAT is a collection! Too many amazing pieces to even single it my favourites. Fantastic.

Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

A very nice collection.
    The Aquastars are amazing, the plastic case one is a rare beast, they had a tendency to crack and that one looks in fantastic condition
    The IWC ocean 2000 is rather tasty as well oh and the Deep Blue... and the DS2 and...
    You get the idea
    I would happily own every single one.

Hi Richard,
    good to see our own legendary strap-maker more active on here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    100 watches! I don’t think you had a hobby, you had a problem! One I can relate to though.

Craftsman
    Nice to have you back Rich! An escape to the country sounds idyllic but I’m sure is lots of hard work.

Great collection you have there. I love the IWCs, particularly the 3536 - in fact I believe I am the current custodian of two of your old watches - a steel 3536 and a titanium 3538.

I look forward to your insight and expertise on the forum :)

TPT

For once a whole collection I actually like. Cracking collection

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Good to see you back Rich.

A high class and eclectic/interesting collection.

I often find SOTC's a bit boring with the usual suspects but yours is the opposite.

Really nice to see.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

That is a really interesting collection, with many that I would love to own.

You mentioned that at one point you had 12 Panerai; now down to 4. When your collection was around 100 was it a larger version of the same styles and brands that you still have, or were there a few other core brands that you lost interest in and got rid of completely?

Nice to have you back, and great collection!

Good to see you again Rich. Very nice straps on those Panerais ;)

The saddle leather strap that you made for my 233 is still probably my favourite strap of all time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back and thanks for sharing your current collection - you have some really beautiful and interesting watches :)

Welcome back Rich! Good to see some of the old gang there.
    I miss our coffee mornings, your coffee used to give me a right buzz for the drive home
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    100 watches! I don’t think you had a hobby, you had a problem!
    I think you're right, although I didn't see it that way at the time. Looking back I was always chasing the next watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    Great collection you have there. I love the IWCs, particularly the 3536 - in fact I believe I am the current custodian of two of your old watches - a steel 3536 and a titanium 3538.
    I remember selling you the steel 3536. My 3538 went to Andy Timms, and so it's more than possible you have that too (?). I actually miss the 3538

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    You mentioned that at one point you had 12 Panerai; now down to 4. When your collection was around 100 was it a larger version of the same styles and brands that you still have, or were there a few other core brands that you lost interest in and got rid of completely?
    Similar. No brands have gone completely out of favour, but downsizing makes you decide which you really can't get rid of. I've always been fascinated by divers watches of the late 1960's and 1970's, so I had a decent collection of them, and Omega from the same period was something I got quite into. Actually, here are a few photos of some of the Omega at the height of the maddness - I can't find the Speedie Pro group pictures anywhere (shame I didn't keep a couple of them looking at current prices!)

and Doxa was another brand I was quite into at one point

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    The saddle leather strap that you made for my 233 is still probably my favourite strap of all time.
    Thank you. That's good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Welcome back Rich! Good to see some of the old gang there.
    I miss our coffee mornings, your coffee used to give me a right buzz for the drive home
    Yes, it's interesting to see the old names - many with far too many posts now
    I miss the coffee morning's too - I still make a strong coffee and you're always welcome if you're ever in north Devon

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I often find SOTC's a bit boring with the usual suspects but yours is the opposite.
    I think it has something to do with the frequency of SOTC posts..... I felt once in 14 years was OK

Nice to see you back Rich!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Very nice collection
    The submersible is a cracker.

It maye be pared back, but still a cracking collection! Good to see you back more active Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    Thanks everyone

Yes, it's interesting to see the old names - many with far too many posts now
    I miss the coffee morning's too - I still make a strong coffee and you're always welcome if you're ever in north Devon
    I meant your watches, but your point is valid too.😁
    My sister now lives in Tavistock so sort of in the right direction, I’ll make it down to you one day.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My sister now lives in Tavistock so sort of in the right direction, I’ll make it down to you one day.
    An hour away - has to be done

Blog Entries
    Very interesting post Richard, welcome back!

Blog Entries
    Welcome back !

I’m still wearing the belt you made for me about 10 years ago!!

Blog Entries
    Not one to blow smoke, but Rich was my watch guru back in the day!

Possibly sub consciously I have since owned many of the (models at least) of the watches you have mate. Never did get hold of the standard bronze Polluce, but had the newer version and the drass if you recall - Toshi's on both of course!

Great to see you back, I started getting more involved in the forum, just as you were moving away, had a break for a couple of years myself, (two kids and a wife, stole free time and cash!) but recently have been rebitten by the bug.

Was pleased to be able to contribute a few photos to the legendary Toshi strap gallery along the way...

See you around the place!

Rob

Master
    Hi Rich, what a great and varied collection of watches that is! Also I’m really enjoying the straps I bought from you a couple of weeks back; new lease of life for my PAM in fact 😊

Craftsman
    what a great collection! love the 233 in particular, can’t believe you had over 100 pieces at one point 😄

Welcome back Rich! That is an amazing collection.

Good to see you back, Rich.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Welcome back Rich. I’ve had a few of your watches over the years, as well as countless straps. I particularly remember the DLC PRS-20 Destro. Great to see you active again. Dave
    Last edited by dejjl; 20th February 2021 at 23:31.

Craftsman
    Welcome back Rich!

Lovely to see a 125 in the mix; my birth year watch, but I haven't got the wrist size to pull it off

How does it compare to the Pams for size?

Great to see you back!
    You need some 47 mm Panerai - for sure!

Great to see you Rich!

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Wink

Welcome back Rich - Great collection. Enjoyed my previous Toshi straps and the latest addition 😁

You've been away? Love the 8-day. I'm sure you're finding life in Devon less stressful, and doing up the old house rewarding.

Toshi straps are actually one of the first things I learned about on the forum, so very pleased you're back.

Master
    Hi Rich good to see you back and glad that things have worked out for you moving down to Devon, we love holidaying down there to get away from the hustle and bustle in the south east.
    We’ve never met but we spoke on several occasions and I bought several lovely straps back in 2014 for my prize possession a JLC navy seals divers alarm. Still got the straps which are going strong but in true TZ style the watch has long gone
    Good to see you back and good luck for the future.

Fabulous write up. What model is the first Omega ? I’ve been hankering after a soccertime but prices mad and your model has a similar dial

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome back :-)
    Lovely and varied collection.
    Yours was one of the very first straps that I bought.
    Welcome to North Devon, I only know of one other member who lives in this area.

Good to have you back. Love the collection. Still have your old straps, back when we pm’d you here.

Welcome back, Rich.

I have a few of your straps and when I was making them, I pretty much copied your theme.

Good to see you posting again, and hope it continues.

Hi, I remember your username and the fact people rave about your straps, do you still make them?

Although I'm not a frequent poster I have noticed user names that don't appear anymore, but life has a way of sometimes moving our focus in different directions.

As for your collection its right up my street. I love Omega and your diver photo. I also like Doxa designs and the splash of colour they bring.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feels good to be back - and the obligitory state of the collection (yawn)

Well done in changing so many aspects of your life for the better.
    100 watches is a lot, after my collection went up and now I have brought it back down I feel more satisfied, sometimes too many dilutes the passion for the watches you really appreciate.

That white dialed IWC Aquatimer is right up my street and def one I’ll look out for in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    Hi, I remember your username and the fact people rave about your straps, do you still make them?
    He does indeed - and I rate them very highly.

https://toshi-straps.co.uk

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.