closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Functional strength training

Hybrid View

Functional strength training

I used to train fairly regularly but mostly cardio.

After injury and Covid have sidelined me for a while, I've realised that although I'm now back running regularly, I've let strength training slide.

I used to do a few sit ups, press ups, pull ups and dips but it's a distant memory - is it just a case of repeating the same old exercises or is there another way?

Diet tips would be good too. There are lots of running threads so hoping not to stray into that area too much.

Forgive me if there's already a thread on this that I've missed.

Lift heavy and protein protein protein - otherwise you’ll not see dem gainz

GQ, oh God I may just be a tad past that.

Mind you, then I watch an interview with Laird Hamilton... and... I still think I'm past it!

Think I may be the 1.8L Carlton rather than the Lotus version.

you cant really do much at home at the moment as strength training goes (unless you have a good home gym with plenty of weights ) , i go 3/4 times a week when they are open and have done so for 10+yrs , ive been doing around 1k pressups a week and have lost a lot of strength over the lockdown period not being able to get in the gym.
    you could get you joints and tendons half ready for the gym by doing supersets etc with pressups and changing the position (decline pressups etc) - that way at least you wont seize up when you can hit the plates.
    Last edited by pugster; 23rd February 2021 at 00:03.

Like a lot of things these days, there's a lot of bull being talked in order to make more Youtube videos or sell the latest course or piece of equipment. But in my view nothing has changed - heavy compound movements are what get the job done quickest and most effectively. So things like squats, deadlifts, chins, rows, bench presses, overhead presses, cleans. The exercises that engage the most muscle groups.

The problem at the moment of course is that unless you have your own equipment, a lot of this is difficult. You can do an awful lot with a couple of dumbbells, a pull up bar and your bodyweight though. Have you got access to any resistance equipment?

Thanks pugster, will do.

@J, am thinking of getting some resistance equipment. My local gym is good but of course closed for now. I try and do a few pull ups after a run using a cross beam but truth be told I've lost the appetite to knock out a few press ups as well.

I've just started to change my diet away from carbs to protein a little in the hope that it will give me a bit of a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    you cant really do much at home at the moment as strength training goes (unless you have a good home gym with plenty of weights ) , i go 3/4 times a week when they are open and have done so for 10+yrs , ive been doing around 1k pressups a week and have lost a lot of strength over the lockdown period not being able to get in the gym.
    you could get you joints and tendons half ready for the gym by doing supersets etc with pressups and changing the position (decline pressups etc) - that way at least you wont seize up when you can hit the plates.
    Disagree, I have been keeping training going with kettlebells and a pullup bar. Had the opportunity to test strength in a hotel gym over the summer and could still pull over 160kg deadlift without problem so it's working. Can't see myself going back to the gym ever although I do miss deadlifting so might get a bar one day.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk