closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega smp 300m v tudor bb58 again

Journeyman

Omega smp 300m v tudor bb58 again

I have bored you all to death over this topic. I am 40 in a few months and I am now ordering with £1000 deposit and the rest 0% on a credit card. I am torn with these 2 watches I cannot decide. I aim to trade up over the years so residual is important but do I go for the tudor at list or the smp at £3600 ish discounted? When in the AD is it normal practice to ask for free things? My friend bought a smp and got a lovely omega pen included any extra are a nice touch. I see some ADs offering free winders worth £250 do I need one? I have had a lot of stick on here but this is a very very big purchase for me any advise is really nice. Thanks

Craftsman
    which colour variations of each model are you considering?

have you tried on each model to see how they wear on you? you are comparing 2 very different size watches, are you looking to buy on bracelet or rubber straps? these are all factors to mention when asking for opinions.

i wouldn’t let the freebies effect any decision making. i wouldn’t bother with a watch winder if your looking to wear the watch on a regular basis TBH
    Last edited by ellsy_79; 22nd February 2021 at 20:48.

Journeyman
    Blue in both

Journeyman
    I understand the tudor is at list

Craftsman
    i like both these models in blue, if your buying the tudor at list and the blue omega with a good discount then the resale value will be quite similar in that i reckon you’d lose around £150-300 on either model. the only difference is whether 39mm or 42mm works better on your wrist, personally i like the omega as i love the wave dial but i slightly prefer the bracelet of the tudor

Blog Entries
    I’ll not bore you with a long answer. Omega all the way (same as my last answer).

You should be able to try these on in the store now they are opening again for business - try them on in person and make your choice

(you are getting stick because you keep asking the same questions - you may get some more again)

Journeyman
    Fraser Hart are doing a free watch winder I may go down that route on the Tudor I think the omega is a better watch but I have to think is it worth £900 more. Disturbing some of the quality issues on the tudor

You’d lose hundreds on each. The Blue BB58 is readily available (but then so is the Black these days), but the blue can be bought with 5 years interest free from some AD’s.

It really depends on the discount on the Omega, but again it’s going to be rare/luck that even then you don’t lose a fair amount.

Personally, I don’t like either of those models in blue, and I wouldn’t buy the Seamaster anyway, as I absolutely hate the date versions of this model.
    It's just a matter of time...

This may sound weird but try rotating the bezel on each watch - when I tried an omega Seamaster 300 bezel in a shop once, it made an awful clacking noise, sounded and felt cheap compared to a black bay. I use the bezel to time things a lot, so this for me was important.

Journeyman
    Appreciate the advice.

Craftsman
    You really need to try them .....I went in to buy a Tudor (the GMT in my case) and came away with the Omega....can’t explain why but I was in no doubt about which I preferred.
    And I went for the silver grey dial.. If I’d chosen it off the internet I’d have gone for the blue!

Omega provided you have 7 inch or bigger wrists. Make sure you try them on. I went in to my AD convinced that the blue dial was going to be the one. In the flesh I did nothing for me, unlike the white dial that I ended up buying.

Journeyman
    7.5 inch wrist.

- - - Updated - - -

Any AD better than others or is it pot luck

Omega smp 300m v tudor bb58 again

SMP all the way. Ceramic bezel and better bracelet. Plus nobody has heard of Tudor except a few sad old WISs if that makes any difference to you.

Edit : if Christopher Ward can add ceramic bezels to its divers costing £700, Tudor are taking the michael by providing a cheap aluminium bezel when you are spending £3k.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 22nd February 2021 at 21:46.

Regarding ADs, avoid the Omega Buteaques as they will not discount. I think discounts are more difficult now. I only managed 18%.

Journeyman
    I will visit omega for the experience but press the button elsewhere if I go for one

I would go for the SMP. I tried both in blue and settled on Omega and never looked back....very comfortable on bracelet or rubber strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t buy either one new at retail price- you will lose at least 30% immediately. Let someone else take that initial hit and buy a great used example from a trusted reseller. Between the two- absolutely the SMP over the Tudor though.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn’t buy either one new at retail price- you will lose at least 30% immediately. Let someone else take that initial hit and buy a great used example from a trusted reseller. Between the two- absolutely the SMP over the Tudor though.
    Last edited by rsteenekamp; 22nd February 2021 at 21:59.

Journeyman
    Cheapest tudor I have seen is £2600 so 30% would be £1900. No chance of that price

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    Cheapest tudor I have seen is £2600 so 30% would be £1900. No chance of that price
    Obviously you wouldn’t get one new at anywhere near that price, but it’s not going to be a million miles away as an earlier used example - easily available, also on 0%, and sometimes with a free Watchwinder, and some people are still trying to sell them for list price!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 22nd February 2021 at 23:54.

Journeyman
    I find it odd no discount off a Tudor bb58 blue not a penny but 18% off a omega smp the omega is obviously priced high to allow for discount

Depends what you like more. Retro look and feel of a classic design divers watch which is very good VFM, with a style that can seemly be worn anywhere and with anything.

Omega you great technology from a great manufacturer. METAS, ceramic etc. But also a more modern looking watch. Which an even sillier and bigger HEV.

Issue for me on Omega is once they bring out a newer style SMP then the older one looks very dated.

Bracelet on the SMP is also non tapered and dated but from what I understand comfortable and the rubber strap is great.

METAS SMP I’ve heard a lot don’t run within specs, yes Tudor has some other issues on low specs, but not too many other issues that I know.

As for watchwinders great if you an collection of autos and complications such as moonphase or calendars but not really needed for the one watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    6.75 inch wrist

Tried both on but apart from the wart, which I can’t stand in any watch, the SMP just didn’t sit right. Luckily I have a Watchco SM300 which gives me my Omega hit, albeit in a vintage way.

Craftsman
    In my view you get what you pay for as regards quality. The BB58 is “tinny” by comparison.

SMP in white, maybe even in black, but either way not the Tudor. You will lose money on both watches so walk into it with your eyes open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    SMP all the way. Ceramic bezel and better bracelet. Plus nobody has heard of Tudor except a few sad old WISs if that makes any difference to you.

Edit : if Christopher Ward can add ceramic bezels to its divers costing £700, Tudor are taking the michael by providing a cheap aluminium bezel when you are spending £3k.
    This, all day long.

Plus it'll save the humouring looks from non wis people when you tell them the Tudor "..is made by Rolex you know..."
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd February 2021 at 00:39.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I have had both and although I’m a big Tudor fan I would choose the Omega given the choice of the 2.

Personally I'd go for the Tudor, as the Omega is a big watch and you'd need to be pretty sure you'll be comfortable wearing something that size daily. I personally think the BB58 is just a great all round package, and for transparency no I don't own one. Obviously both are good choices, but just bear in mind it's ultimately how the thing wears that'll determine whether you enjoy it. Things like ceramic vs aluminium are trivial in comparison IMO.

Also either way, if this is your first watch of this calibre and is marking a 40th birthday, I'd recommend buying with the mindset that you're going to keep it rather than upgrade it. Just a personal opinion, but it's nice to attach some memories to a milestone watch, you lose that if you keep selling/upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Tudor sell hundreds of thousands of watches a year. Either your thinking is a little out-of-date or there's a lot more 'sad old WISs' than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Plus it'll save the humouring looks from non wis people when you tell them the Tudor "..is made by Rolex you know..."
    You can also save those looks by just not going around telling people that it's "made by Rolex you know"
    Last edited by M1011; 23rd February 2021 at 01:21.

It’s a hard decision, but not a complicated one. You either like the look of the Omega and can justify the extra outlay, or you don’t. Same as say, buying a Mercedes A-Class over a VW Golf. People who like the Omega will tell you to buy that and justify it on brand / specs / history etc, people who like the Tudor will say it’s great VFM and very close to a Rolex (Audi).

Residuals, deals and extras might sweeten the deal but they’re not the core of the decision.

Left-field opinion: If I were in your shoes and given how much you have wrestled with this, I’d buy a seiko / Nomos / Sinn for <£1500 and be happy with it, knowing that I didn’t have to be in debt to pay it off, I’m not worrying about residuals and won’t lose that much money because I never spent much. Then I’d have have a great day with my friends and family and enjoy my birthday.

If you want to buy the better watch with a better movement, better dial finishing, nicer case, nicer bracelet and a higher level of prestige then buy the Omega. If buying the better watch isn't important to you then buy the Tudor.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I have both the SMP and Tudor and out of the two wear my Tudor 58 more often; as it’s actually like owning a 5 digit sub just comfortable IMHO. The SMP I wear mainly on strap as I find the bracelet uncomfortable. I am looking at adding a white version of the SMP but will wait till shops open to try one on my wrist.

At the end of the day it’s for a big occasion. So pop into the stores and try them on when you can and you will know which one sings to you the most. Forget the discussions about cost as they never bode well when purchasing a watch and merely sour the enjoyment.

Are you going to wear it daily or occasionally; I have noticed that I wear my SMP occasionally but wear the BB58 daily. Most importantly only you can make the decision no one else especially as you are paying for it. On paper the SMP is a better watch but specs don’t mean much when it comes to enjoyment.

Journeyman
    I will be wearing it every day. Some lovely feedback. It's one or the other I only have my heart set on these two. I had a 16610 sub in 2007 from Preston's in bolton I paid £2500 for it and sold it 1 year later at a loss. (What a fool)

Tudor for me, as I only have 1 diver, but I’d happily have both. The BB58 is a perfect size to wear as a daily, super comfortable and reliable.

I’ve only ever seen both in windows, but looked at the specifications when I was considering a SMP. Whilst I think the specs of the SMP as a watch are more technically impressive (reflected in its higher cost), I think the Tudor is the more wearable watch if you had a smaller wrist. In my experience, both companies have fantastic customer service and I do like both watches...a good problem to have as you can’t really go wrong with either!

I will be wearing it every day. Some lovely feedback. It's one or the other I only have my heart set on these two. I had a 16610 sub in 2007 from Preston's in bolton I paid £2500 for it and sold it 1 year later at a loss. (What a fool)
    Ha! We’ve all been there...I part exchanged a mint Sea-Dweller for £1800 around that time and a few years later I had a mint Sub ND two-liner full set that I sold for about £3500ish. Better not to think about them!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Ha! We’ve all been there...I part exchanged a mint Sea-Dweller for £1800 around that time and a few years later I had a mint Sub ND two-liner full set that I sold for about £3500ish. Better not to think about them!
    This is why I still have a ceramic 40mm Sub even though I got the 41mm model last year. Doing a 'Mick P' for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is why I still have a ceramic 40mm Sub even though I got the 41mm model last year. Doing a 'Mick P' for as long as I can.
    Very wise! Over the years, I think I’ve flipped through about 8 Rolex models...should have kept them all!

Very wise! Over the years, I think I’ve flipped through about 8 Rolex models...should have kept them all!
    I'm too paranoid, I've only flipped the ones I've bought second hand. Anything from the AD I still have, too scared of the blacklist.

I think for me between these two if we're going on looks then it would come down to if you're wanting a more classic look(Tudor) or more striking(Omega).

I personally would choose the Omega and would be easy decision, much nicer watch to my eyes.

I’m not quite sure what you think you’ve gained from all these threads, OP, but for what it’s worth I would go for the Omega out of these two. Better finished, better engineering imo, better size.

But neither are on my radar anyway, so what do I know?

Simon

Craftsman
    Thought about getting the Omega a few times, even tried it on, but all I ever see is that escape valve, what a watch that could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Thought about getting the Omega a few times, even tried it on, but all I ever see is that escape valve, what a watch that could be.
    Agree...I could kind of live with the previous ones, but they've managed to model the shape of the the new one to look like a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Remove the escape value (or replace with an automatic one if they're that desperate to keep it), give it a bezel you can actually grip, move the date back to 3 oclock or offer more no date versions outside of LE's, make the bracelet more 'tool watch' and less fussy, fill in the skeleton hands like the old style hands.

There you go, an absolutely perfect watch.

OP, it's still a great watch. Look at the pic Kippax put up a few days ago with the daytime lume. Stunning.

Craftsman
    Remove the escape value (or replace with an automatic one if they're that desperate to keep it), give it a bezel you can actually grip, move the date back to 3 oclock or offer more no date versions outside of LE's, make the bracelet more 'tool watch' and less fussy, fill in the skeleton hands like the old style hands.

There you go, an absolutely perfect watch.

OP, it's still a great watch. Look at the pic Kippax put up a few days ago with the daytime lume. Stunning.
    Perfect, I would like a bit of taper on the bracelet as well please.

Now we are talking!

I didn't really understand Omega's design route through the 2000s to be honest. They had a very 90s looking watch in terms of dial and bracelet in the Bond model and then brought out the 2254 with sword hands and new bracelet. This model looked a lot more modern than the Bond. I would have assumed this would be the standard Seamaster design going forward but no, they discontinued it and the Bond design ran on. Couldn't understand it.

Now we are talking!

I didn't really understand Omega's design route through the 2000s to be honest. They had a very 90s looking watch in terms of dial and bracelet in the Bond model and then brought out the 2254 with sword hands and new bracelet. This model looked a lot more modern than the Bond. I would have assumed this would be the standard Seamaster design going forward but no, they discontinued it and the Bond design ran on. Couldn't understand it.
    Pic stolen from the web. This is almost perfect.

Now blend that with the white dial modern SM300 and I'd forgive lack of the bezel grip and manual HEV. Instant buy, no hesitation.

Pic stolen from the web. This is almost perfect.

Now blend that with the white dial modern SM300 and I'd forgive lack of the bezel grip and manual HEV. Instant buy, no hesitation.

....almost.

The BB58 might wear small on a 7.5 inch wrist but the Seamaster does wear heavy because the bracelet is quite substantial.

You have to try both watches on before making a decision.
    7.5 inch wrist.

- - - Updated - - -

Any AD better than others or is it pot luck
    Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Now we are talking!

Sales figures would suggest Omega made the right decision though. I like both my 2531 and 2254 equally though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    As soon as shops open I am visiting several ADs in Manchester. If I go for the SMP best I can find is chrono24 £3600 on the bracelet if I go BB58 it will be the AD list price (looks like a free winder on offer rrp £249.