closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko A829-6019 Tidy Up

Seiko A829-6019 Tidy Up

I had sourced a NOS bezel insert for the faded and scuffed one on my Seiko A829-6019 (massive thanks for the heads-up from jameswrx), however decided not to fit it in order to maintain the originality of the watch. It had been sitting in the bits box until I spotted a non-runner with scuffed face and missing the insert going for 75 quid, which had to be worth a punt.

Happily a simple battery change got it going with all functions operating correctly, and a few minutes of polishing sorted out most of the cosmetics. With the new insert installed it looks almost like it did when new. I'm dead chuffed with the result and to have an 'everyday' and 'best' version.

Here's a family shot, with the A829-6029.

The bezel rotates to select the various functions, which is pretty nifty.

These are amongst the most interesting 'space watches' and were often seen on Shuttle missions in the '80s. Here's the crew of STS-51-A:

STS-51-J:

Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, on STS-7 in June 1983:

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Fabulous, Ive had a few of those over the years, back when they were cheap, love the functionality, X33 style long before Omega did it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great set and write up, envious :)

I dident realize a insert was supplied without the bezel, I wish Seiko had done that with more models.

Oh, I like those. I want one!

Master
    What a result, congratulations.

I love these watches, mainly for the simple but effective way to change mode. Eminently more sensible than fiddling around with pushers and occasionally getting one under the thumbnail. Is there a reason why this didn't take off and be seen on more watches?
    Last edited by Wimm; 21st February 2021 at 21:20.

You need to buy some lottery tickets quick - those are high on any space watch collector’s list - including mine!

A great addition to your collection.

Regards

Jon.

Craftsman
    Fantastic watches a favourite with US pilots. I’m still amazed at the fact NASA didn’t seem worry about such stringent trials for its non eva watches, I love the timex datalink range they used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    What a result, congratulations.

I love these watches, mainly for the simple but effective way to change mode. Eminently more sensible than fiddling around with pushers and occasionally getting one under the thumbnail. Is there a reason why this didn't take off and be seen on more watches?
    Yeah, it worked out rather well

No idea why the rotating bezel didn't catch on - it is intuitive to use, and seems to be reliable. I always need to dig out the manual when navigating around an unfamiliar G-Shock but not with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley637 View Post
    Fantastic watches a favourite with US pilots. I’m still amazed at the fact NASA didn’t seem worry about such stringent trials for its non eva watches, I love the timex datalink range they used.
    Yes, it became more about functionality for watches that remained within the controlled environment.

I'm a big fan of Timex Data-Links, more here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...SA-Smart-Watch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

No idea why the rotating bezel didn't catch on - it is intuitive to use, and seems to be reliable. I always need to dig out the manual when navigating around an unfamiliar G-Shock but not with these.

Yes, it became more about functionality for watches that remained within the controlled environment.

I'm a big fan of Timex Data-Links, more here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...SA-Smart-Watch
    I even managed to find one of the laptop rs232 program units instead of a crt monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    £75 OP that’s a bargain. Well done you.

Couple of mine

Awaiting this to arrive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    £75 OP that’s a bargain. Well done you.
    Well, the NOS insert was another £60 shipped from the US so around £135 all in but still pretty good.

That looks like a fantastic full set you've got there. The Yacht Timers are cool as well.

Craftsman
    Wow that’s interesting I’ve never seen one of those before. I remember my dad having an Seiko LED watch I was amazed when I was younger I think it was gold though lol

Master
    Intrigued by the method of selecting the function on these watches I have done a little research (ok, far too much research) on the A829. It turns out there were quite a few different models using the A829 module. A number of different sports styles including a very good looking Sports 100 version and a Silverwave. There was even a big green one designed as part of Seiko's collaboration with Giugiaro.

Not all of them were Seiko branded. Below is a photo of a Yema Navyski (which made me chuckle, I wonder if it as a dig at the Lip NauticSki) shamelessly borrowed from the interesting and useful digital-watch.com.

I am sorely tempted to search one out to add to the collection.

Thanks, that has resulted in me setting up a couple more eBay searches. digital-watch.com is a very useful resource particularly for photographs.

The A826-6019 is also an interesting model with a rotating bezel to select functions, as worn by Doc Brown in Back to the Future.

Master
    I hope that they aren't the same searches as mine

A nice looking Lorus version has just appeared there but the price is way out of my budget.

I had heard somewhere that there was Doc Brown watch, I hadn't appreciated that it was one of these.
    Last edited by Wimm; 7th March 2021 at 20:45. Reason: spelling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

How does the bezel work - how does transfer information to the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    How does the bezel work - how does transfer information to the movement?
    There are four 'transmission pins' that go through the case, connecting the module to the bezel.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 7th March 2021 at 22:02.

Master
    Thanks! So getting back to the question of why they didn’t catch on, perhaps water resistance was a factor?

When I search A826-6019 on ebay, all I get is windscreen wipers. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    When I search A826-6019 on ebay, all I get is windscreen wipers. :D
    That's clearly a pane.