closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good way to mount this onto a wall?

Master

What's a good way to mount this onto a wall?

Hi

I know a few of you are mechanically minded and like a challenge and are pretty imaginative with coming up with solutions to tricky problems:

My wife works in the aviation sector and I managed to buy her a window section from the 747 that crossed the Atlantic in the fastest time as it was being dismantled. That was a few months ago and now I have to put it up on the wall to display. That was always the idea, I just haven't had the chance to do it.

So the idea is to mount it on a wall and use some battery powered LED lights to light up the window section.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas about a good way to mount it on the wall? It would ideally be something that would allow for it to be removed in case we need to alter the lights; paint the wall etc.

Initial idea is to attached some kind of batten to the wall and use those to hold it but not sure that will work as the struts on the back are the wrong way up - you'll see what I mean in the pictures.

I'm planning to cut-off the red screws on the back as they make it more difficult to mount I think.

Anyway, be grateful for some advice/ideas.

On to the pics:

We will probably add the call-sign onto the front with some vinyl lettering.

While we're here, any advice on how to protect the material (the edges are cut from the plane so whilst they aren't sharp, they are bare metal)?

Cheers
    Last edited by bambam; 21st February 2021 at 14:38.

My initial thought would be 2x parallel battens just spaced slightly off the wall, one that has the lower section hooking over it and the second one allowing the right-angled higher section to slot under the batten.

Whatever mounting solution you adopt it'll be a great feature!

R

PS Metal paint to cover the edges.
    Last edited by ralphy; 21st February 2021 at 14:50.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I'd investigate some sort of frame, firstly. It has been cut out with an angle grinder by the looks of things - be good to hide those edges.

Then - simply mount with the same self-starting mounts that they use for hanging radiators these days. Two at the top should do it.

Looks nice. Personally I’d round the main, outer corners a bit to more match the window shape, and once I’d taken the burrs of the top, bottom and sides I’d try to bevel and polish the edges a little. I think the bare metal, once smooth, would be a good look.

That’s a pretty cool piece of wall-art. Definitely look at a split-batten type solution and cut off those red painted self tapping screws before you do yourself an injury on them. Cut down a short length of ex 50x50 or 75x75, cut in half length ways with an angled cut. Fix the top half to the protruding angle at the top of the window unit, the bottom half to the wall and there’s your top support done. Fix a matching piece to the bottom protruding angle and the window unit should be able to securely rest in place. If feeling clever, use a split batten at the bottom too. Fix through the top half of the batten to the bottom half with a size 6 wood screw and you’re done!

It must have been quite challenging for the pilot of the 747 that crossed the Atlantic in the fastest time as it was being dismantled.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My initial thought would be 2x parallel battens just spaced slightly off the wall, one that has the lower section hooking over it and the second one allowing the right-angled higher section to slot under the batten.

Whatever mounting solution you adopt it'll be a great feature!

R

PS Metal paint to cover the edges.
    Exactly like this

Master
    I think the reverse side looks more interesting, so if it were mine I’d try make/build it into a door of some sort.

Something like these might do the job?:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Burton-Sn...l+mount&sr=8-3

Others are available but they do allow for removal pretty simply.

I would consider 2 pieces of dowel threaded onto the red screws and then 2 holes in the wall to take the pieces of dowel.

How much does it weigh? What type of wall is it going on? Plaster board over stud or dot&dab, brick / block?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    How much does it weigh? What type of wall is it going on? Plaster board over stud or dot&dab, brick / block?
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Really got me thinking.

To answer the question above, it weights around 6-7 kilos. It will be going onto a solid wall which is made of blocks as far as I know.

Craftsman
    For the outer edges something like this may work
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/edge-trim/bn_7024776171

Blog Entries
    Please excuse the crappy freehand drawing, didn't have time for anything else!

Lower batten takes all the weight. Upper batten just stops it tipping outwards. Small sections on the battens don't take much force. Window can be slid sideways onto battens. As long as the lower batten will take the weight it will hold. Battens can take a lot of downward force.

It's probably what others meant earlier in the thread.

And I'd just paint the edges with some paint to match the rest, or black to create a visible edge.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    For the outer edges something like this may work
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/edge-trim/bn_7024776171
    You can get that in white too fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The red screws are not screws they are plastic spigots designed to attach soundproofing to the inside of the structure.. they will not bear any load and are probably quite brittle, just snap them off..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It must have been quite challenging for the pilot of the 747 that crossed the Atlantic in the fastest time as it was being dismantled.
    I thought that was a plucky bit of flying, but, aviators, eh ??

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    How about sticking four legs on it and making a coffee table out of it..?

Use it as a picture frame! Mr Bean giving a thumbs-up might work.

I’m glad I’m not the only weirdo to wall mount unusual objects. On my games room wall, I’ve got Stephen Jelley’s bonnet from his Focus Touring Car when he punted Plato off.

I look forward to seeing this up and illuminated.

How about two "L" shaped battens fixed to the wall to match the two brackets on the back (top/bottom) and slide the window on horizontally, window would not have to be fixed and this way it would be easy to remove.

The two channels above and below the window are your best way of fixing, the bottom channel will take the weight while the top just needs to be used to pull itself into the wall.

It’s all aluminum but don’t take that as soft drinks can aluminum, generally fuselage grade is very strong and age hardens.

The red colour staining on the back looks like pink lady as we called it, it’s an activator for the B2 sealant that you can see around and under all the joints.
    Pink lady was bad stuff to say the least as it was carcinogenic, we had to use breathing apparatus and thick nitrile gloves while using it, once dried off it’s fine.

The edge being ali will not corrode/rust so a good deburr with a file and smooth with wet n dry should be good, I would only paint if I could get a good match..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 22nd February 2021 at 08:37.

If you're going for L shaped brackets, I'd design them so that the top bracket of the window goes in first, hooking behind the top bracket, and then the winow is moved fully back and dropped down onto the lower bracket.

Aluminium alloys are crazy. I had a tube (the tail boom of an RC helicopter) where the wall was about the thickness of a paper straw, and the diameter similar to that of a Sharpie. It weighed nothing, and was too strong to deform by hand.

Master
    I think it would make a great shower screen. Have I missed the brief by much ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Lower batten takes all the weight. Upper batten just stops it tipping outwards. Small sections on the battens don't take much force. Window can be slid sideways onto battens. As long as the lower batten will take the weight it will hold. Battens can take a lot of downward force.

And I'd just paint the edges with some paint to match the rest, or black to create a visible edge.
    Thanks for taking the time to do the drawing! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    The red screws are not screws they are plastic spigots designed to attach soundproofing to the inside of the structure.. they will not bear any load and are probably quite brittle, just snap them off..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, now I know what they are I will definitely be removing them. Having said that, they're stuck on with some kind of resin and although the screws bend when pressing them, they aren't snapping off. Will look at cutting them off. Maybe an excuse to buy a rotary tool - actually I could use one of those to polish the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The two channels above and below the window are your best way of fixing, the bottom channel will take the weight while the top just needs to be used to pull itself into the wall.

It’s all aluminum but don’t take that as soft drinks can aluminum, generally fuselage grade is very strong and age hardens.

The red colour staining on the back looks like pink lady as we called it, it’s an activator for the B2 sealant that you can see around and under all the joints.
    Pink lady was bad stuff to say the least as it was carcinogenic, we had to use breathing apparatus and thick nitrile gloves while using it, once dried off it’s fine.

The edge being ali will not corrode/rust so a good deburr with a file and smooth with wet n dry should be good, I would only paint if I could get a good match..
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If you're going for L shaped brackets, I'd design them so that the top bracket of the window goes in first, hooking behind the top bracket, and then the winow is moved fully back and dropped down onto the lower bracket.

Aluminium alloys are crazy. I had a tube (the tail boom of an RC helicopter) where the wall was about the thickness of a paper straw, and the diameter similar to that of a Sharpie. It weighed nothing, and was too strong to deform by hand.
    I've now started looking for a U-shaped bracket that I can fix to the wall and slide the window onto. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JUN-H-Stain...s%2C216&sr=8-4

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanger-Brac...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This is because although I like the batten ideas, I would ultimately be looking to make a U shape of some kind, so got me thinking that I could probably buy something that is already in the right shape etc. Now I need to measure the channels on the window and take the curve of the whole structure into account so I can get the right size.

Thanks, feels closer to completion than just a day ago!
    Last edited by bambam; 22nd February 2021 at 14:51.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

I’ve got a 1200mm long piece of steel mounting for a kitchen wall cupboard that’s going spare. Cut two lengths off it and you’ve effectively got the same as the timber sections in the diagram.

Pm me if you’d like it and I’ll get it in the post to you tomorrow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve got a 1200mm long piece of steel mounting for a kitchen wall cupboard that’s going spare. Cut two lengths off it and you’ve effectively got the same as the timber sections in the diagram.

Pm me if you’d like it and I’ll get it in the post to you tomorrow.
    That is very kind of you! Definitely worth a punt. Will PM you. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks, now I know what they are I will definitely be removing them. Having said that, they're stuck on with some kind of resin and although the screws bend when pressing them, they aren't snapping off. Will look at cutting them off. Maybe an excuse to buy a rotary tool - actually I could use one of those to polish the edges.
    The resin is what I mentioned - B2 sealant (brown) as can be see around all the riveted/set fixing joints but painted, sets very strong and becomes part of the aircrafts structural integrity, one of the main reasons for it is no metal to metal contact plus a strong airtight bond.

You can cut it with a knife..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 22nd February 2021 at 15:35.

Master
    The resin is what I mentioned - B2 sealant (brown) as can be see around all the riveted/set fixing joints but painted, sets very strong and becomes part of the aircrafts structural integrity, one of the main reasons for it is no metal to metal contact plus a strong airtight bond.

You can cut it with a knife..
    Yes you did mention it - thanks. Will get a knife to try out.
    The edges look ok but I will go over them with a file etc to make sure there aren’t any sharp edges.

Looking for some LED lights now...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Looking for some LED lights now...
    Will it be on a bare wall? I might try an aviation themed picture (interior of aircraft even?) behind window.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Will it be on a bare wall? I might try an aviation themed picture (interior of aircraft even?) behind window.
    I did suggest that but the Mrs wants some lights! The wall is bare but is teal coloured.

The other issue is that there is no power point on that wall, hence the need for battery power.

I am replying without any DIY skills/knowledge but could a frame be built and mounted such as for a photo? The frame would be quite big all around but possibly allow easier fixing to wall.

Plus it would hide any sharp edges.

An exit sign mounted above would be good.

Master
    While we’re here, does anyone know the font, font size and colour used for the registration identification on planes?

I want to get some vinyl lettering made up and the registration lettering should be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It should really be a persons head in side profile!

It should really be a persons head in side profile!
    Leslie Nielsen wearing a stethoscope

Master
    “Best idea so far” - Mrs Bambam.

Surely you can't be serious?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Surely you can't be serious?
    I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Master
    Have you considered aluminium channel?

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/aluminium/channel

Master
    Still canvassing for a door...think of the possibilities!

https://youtu.be/Gf_kjwOSjGI

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Have you considered aluminium channel?

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/aluminium/channel
    I have something being sent by Dave+63 so will try that and if not then something like a channel will be next.

As we are looking for a battery powered light and/or a picture of Leslie Nielsen we’ll need the ability to move it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Still canvassing for a door...think of the possibilities!

https://youtu.be/Gf_kjwOSjGI
    Admire your tenacity - but Mrs Bambam says No!

Master

Nice!

Craftsman
    Funnily enough someone I know has just posted the very same thing on facebookScreenshot_20210223-230531_Instagram.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    Funnily enough someone I know has just posted the very same thing on facebookScreenshot_20210223-230531_Instagram.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I want one now!

May I suggest the slight refinement that you round the corners and put some type of rubber seal around the edge, it will make it look a lot more like the door, not "just" a window section.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    May I suggest the slight refinement that you round the corners and put some type of rubber seal around the edge, it will make it look a lot more like the door, not "just" a window section.
    Good idea, will put that into the pot.

The battery powered LEDS have arrived so this is slowly taking shape.

We may opt to put a different person in the window every month...

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming though.

Be quite funny to put this guys picture in the window one day!

Master
    I want one now!
    https://www.planereclaimers.co.uk/