closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex servicing

Rolex servicing

Morning

Wife’s watch has stopped keeping time

Wind it up but it’s hours out within a day!

Does anyone know the form with Rolex servicing at the moment pls? Can I drop it in somewhere? quite high value to be posting...

Cheers

Master
    I would imagine Rolex know. Have you asked them / checked their website?

I spoke with RSC a few weeks ago and they are only accepting watches posted to them with the postage and insurance down to the sender to arrange.

If your happy to go with a Rolex accredited watchmaker then the one Rolex recommended sends out a pre insured (up to £10k) postal bag. The accredited will also allow pre arranged drop off at there workshop.

There was not much difference in the pricing between Rolex and the independent and both come with 2 years warranty but quoted turnaround time was around half at the independent.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

If your happy to go with a Rolex accredited watchmaker then the one Rolex recommended sends out a pre insured (up to £10k) postal bag.
    Which one is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Which one is that?
    https://www.shwr.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I would imagine Rolex know. Have you asked them / checked their website?
    Yes I called

They said post

It’s well over £10k value so didn’t fancy that.

Thank you will try and find someone accredited I can drop to.

Must be someone in the West End.

Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I spoke with RSC a few weeks ago and they are only accepting watches posted to them with the postage and insurance down to the sender to arrange.

If your happy to go with a Rolex accredited watchmaker then the one Rolex recommended sends out a pre insured (up to £10k) postal bag. The accredited will also allow pre arranged drop off at there workshop.

There was not much difference in the pricing between Rolex and the independent and both come with 2 years warranty but quoted turnaround time was around half at the independent.

Had anyone used or can recommend Steven Hale? Looks just the job if taking the risk of posting your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    Thank you will try and find someone accredited I can drop to.

Must be someone in the West End.
    Steven Hale (link above) have an office in the West End - South Molton Street.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Had anyone used or can recommend Steven Hale? Looks just the job if taking the risk of posting your watch.
    Steven Hale is where Rolex UK send vintage watches.

Expect very long waiting times though. Pre-Covid, it was something like 3 months turnaround. I expect that it will be longer now.

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    Yes I called

They said post

It’s well over £10k value so didn’t fancy that.
    Use RMSD with Secursus

https://www.secursus.com/

Used by many on here on SC.
    I bought a Sea Dweller from a member on here and it was sent that way.

I would send via an AD and pay the ~£35 convenience charge.

Journeyman
    My 16610 sub is with Steven Hale at the moment. When I posted it (in the postage pack they supplied) they said turn around time was about 5 weeks. That was 4 weeks ago so I’m looking forward to getting it back soon. They have been flexible about the work that is done to the watch and all of the dealings with them have been positive so far. I’ve opted to go for all the work they’ve suggested so swapping out the crystal, new bezel, movement service and a light polishing. I will report back once I’ve got the watch back but I’m expecting good things based on other people’s positive experiences with them.

Journeyman
    I’m sure they mentioned they can arrange for additional insurance if the watch is over £10K. Mine isn’t so obviously didn’t need to go down that route- just used the standard pre paid postage pack they supplied

Rolex at West Malling re-open tomorrow and you can drop your watch in by appointment.

Journeyman
    When you say “hours out” do you mean fast or slow. If the former, I’m just wondering if it’s only magnitised, which would be cheap and simple to put right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    When you say “hours out” do you mean fast or slow. If the former, I’m just wondering if it’s only magnitised, which would be cheap and simple to put right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That crossed my mind, usually watches don’t suddenly start misbehaving in such a dramatic fashion unless they’ve had a hard whack or become magnetised.

I get watches sent to me that have obviously had a hard impact, but owners are often reluctant to share this info. If a watch gets dropped the hairspring can become snagged and that’ll cause the watch to run very fast. Usually it’s an easy fix, carefully remove the balance and refit it, problem solved. However, after a really hard impact the hairspring can distort, that’s a much more difficult fix. I had one on the bench last week with a distorted hairspring, fortunately it wasn’t too difficult to true up, but they can turn into lengthy jobs. Just sorted another out yesterday, that took almost 2 hours to get right.

Being a Rolex the OPs watch should go to Rolex service centre or a Rolex accredited indy, but there’s nothing to lose by trying to demagnetise it first.

So was the wifes watch, took it in today (Russel Talerman - Maddox ST)

Gave it a little shake and he has definitely whacked it :-))))

6 years old now so due a service really. £390 plus polish up etc.

Will update.

Cheers all

Journeyman
    Just got my 16610 back from Steven Hale, I was impressed with the customer service, the 4-and-a-bit week turn around time and the end result. I was torn about whether to get the watch polished but as it had been polished by Rolex around 12 years ago at it's last service I felt it wouldn't be too much of an issue and it's not as if I was getting a 50+ year old watch which had never been touched done. It's now keeping good time, winding it is buttery smooth, and it's shiny in all the right places. It's good to have the old friend back!

Master
    Looks awesome!

Craftsman
    That looks like a superb job. SHWR have done several pieces of work for me over the years, and I have always been impressed with their revive and support.

I had Steven Hale wet pressure test, change the seals and put my watch on a timegrapher to check amplitude, beat error etc and pleased to know all is running perfectly.

It was with them for a couple of hours in total and cost £40 which I think is excellent value

Apprentice
    You can check out William Rice

Blog Entries
    Looks a great job, what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Eh? OP has not had it back yet. Post 17 gives price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Eh? OP has not had it back yet. Post 17 gives price.
    Ha thanks, I was reading at 5 something through blurry eyes.

Master

Steven Hale

Rolex-UK recommend Steven Hale for vintage work. He recently serviced a friend's 5513/0. The bill, including delivery to and from Steven via an AD, was £1,845.

Master
    I've tried to be put through to the servicing department three times at RSC with no luck. I've left a message and they haven't replied... not very impressed at the moment

Journeyman
    I know the admin guys are working from home which won’t help. However, I had a call today that St James’s will reopen on 12th April.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Mine came to just over £800 after VAT which included new crystal and bezel insert

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    My 16610 sub is with Steven Hale at the moment. When I posted it (in the postage pack they supplied) they said turn around time was about 5 weeks.
    Just for the record, I've just got off the 'phone with SHWR and 5 weeks is within their timeframe for 'modern' watches (<20 years old). The estimate for vintage watches (>20 years) is 25 weeks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Just for the record, I've just got off the 'phone with SHWR and 5 weeks is within their timeframe for 'modern' watches (<20 years old). The estimate for vintage watches (>20 years) is 25 weeks.
    Wow that is ridiculously long. Come to Sweden, we turn any Rolex around in 3-4 weeks tops.