closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-30

Re: PRS-30

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    It would be neat if the TF watches could use two logos - the existing script for the hommages, and a sans serif version for contemporary models. I confess the existing logo puts me off a bit. Nothing wrong with it, just not the style I like.
    An excellent suggestion. I also find the Precista script incongruous at best on several watches in the range.

Side elevations for comment, the large crown will make for a deep case. I'd be interested in opinion on preferred sizes so I can get some specific sizes to these drawings, mention of it been smaller than the PRS-20 but that's all so far.

I've tried white date with black type but it just draws too much attention to the date, I prefer the date to be subtle as I think you don't need to be reminded of it every time you glance for the time. Circular aperture looks best too.

Best wishes, Chris.

Master

:shock:

Stunning IMHO :)

If it looks as good in the metal... wow.

not bad looking on the lastest draft.

am a little concerned how the crown sits so low in the case, it's very close to the caseback. i think it may dig too readily into the back of the hand and wrist. (i have a similar experience with the crown on my prs-50 at times).

I'm feeling my resistance to Roman numerals weakening. Really weakening!!

Assuming I'm on the bandwagon, here's what I would want to see for sizes:

Case size: 40mm to 42mm max
    Lug-to-lug height: 48mm max (this dimension always being most critical to me)
    lug width: something wider than 20mm I think, not sure what would look most balanced with the other dimensions
    Height: not sure on this either, the drawing suggests a thicker watch than I originally expected

I like the date wheel as is (white on black and round aperture)

Rick

The Broadarrow PRS-3 has a round date aperture. It's too small and almost blocks the figures.

Craftsman

Interesting to use UN Maxi Marine hands, with a panerai style dial. :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    Just a point on the non-tapering strap idea. The first thing I did when I got my Millemetri ( this has a very similar case shape to the Millemetri ) was to make myself a non-tapering strap for it. It really looks the dogs-danglies with it on, and so would this :)

PS. Just a thought, if round date windows aren't popular, how about following the same idea as with the crown, and making the date window square, but a 'rounded square' following the same shape as the case? Expensive to manufacture maybe?

Neil

Chris,

Could we please see what the no second hand/no minute track version of your design looks like with Neil.Ldn's idea above of changing the round date window to the case shaped "rounded square" window mentioned?

I'm not sure that it would work better than the round date window for most people whichever version of the PRS-30 is chosen, but I do think it might and I for one would like to at least see what it looks like with Neil's idea.

Also, considering what Denizen mentioned above, I think the height on the case the crown is locationed at on a given watch is determined to a degree more by the specific movement used and the need to correlate it correctly with the crown than by the cosmetic design of the watch so it might end up somewhat higher off the deck than shown above anyway. However, Lysanderxiii and Xpat(Ted) and all the others here far more knowledgeable on that than I could tell you much more.

Dear Chris,

Very nice indeed. I don't mind the round date window, but square would be fine too, as long as it's discreet. As for dimensions - I would say 42-44mm Ø x 13mm thick, perfect. If the watch was smaller than 42mm across, I think it would be too small for a case of this style.

Aesthetically, I think it looks great. :)

Cheers
    David

Latest views (and side elevations) look really good. Just loose the seconds :D (Yeah, I know, dog with a bone :D :D )

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    The Broadarrow PRS-3 has a round date aperture. It's too small and almost blocks the figures.
    That's the problem with a round date window; no tolerance for alignment of the date wheel.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie,

Just a technical question that I think Rollon brought up earlier...

Can the date aperture be this close to the centre of the dial?

The reason I ask; I'm happy to illustrate the round/square and square date window on this dial but if it has to ultimately be positioned lower I'd like to get that bit right before the next visual.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Eddie,

The reason I ask; I'm happy to illustrate the round/square and square date window on this dial but if it has to ultimately be positioned lower I'd like to get that bit right before the next visual.

Chris
    The date on the Ronda 715Li and ETA2824 is in the same position, approximately 10mm from the centre pinion to the centre of the date window.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

That's a green light then Chris. Let's see it with a square date window. :)

David

Best wishes, Chris.

Now that is a good looking watch! :flower:

Master

Side elevations for comment, the large crown will make for a deep case. I'd be interested in opinion on preferred sizes so I can get some specific sizes to these drawings, mention of it been smaller than the PRS-20 but that's all so far.

I've tried white date with black type but it just draws too much attention to the date, I prefer the date to be subtle as I think you don't need to be reminded of it every time you glance for the time. Circular aperture looks best too.

Best wishes, Chris.
    Chris, looking good!

Can I make a comment for consideration with regards to the side elavations of the lugs/holes please? With the fashion for thick straps, might the lugs be too tapered and/or the lug holes be too close to the tip to cater for this? It looks like a thick strap would overwhelm them. I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this.

A slightly deeper caseback might help to move the crown away from the wrist also.

Cheers,

Guy :)

I was thinking exactly the same as Guy regarding the lugs. Think they may need some alteration.

Cheers
    David

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Eddie,

Chris
    The date on the Ronda 715Li and ETA2824 is in the same position, approximately 10mm from the centre pinion to the centre of the date window.

Eddie
    So is it possible this will come with an auto movement? :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal
    Eddie,

Chris

Eddie
    So is it possible this will come with an auto movement? :bounce:
    Anything is possible. Definitely? No.

Eddie

Journeyman

All I can say is . . .

Put me on the list. I don't care what number. I like everything about it. What a perfect companion-piece to my Italian.

You can do what you want but as long as it has a sans serif font for "Precista" and a round date window, it's not going to get made. :D

Eddie

Craftsman

You can do what you want but as long as it has a sans serif font for "Precista" and a round date window, it's not going to get made. :D

Eddie
    What about Arial or Tahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal

Eddie
    What about Arial or Tahoma?
    Dream on. :D

Eddie

Master

Crown location is a killer for me, as it stands I am sure this will be amazingly uncomfortable.

One for Eddie...

And one for Draz...

We're down to tweaks now so I'm going to start on technical drawings next as visually I don't think visually things are going to look to dissimilar to the above illustrations.

Chris

It's a beauty. I have sympathy for the view that the drilled lugs are a touch too near the end for heavier straps. The same is true of the 17C and 18Q. A bracelet would sit more easily had it been half a mm further back. However, I don't see any bracelets on this one.

Craftsman

One for Eddie...

And one for Draz...

We're down to tweaks now so I'm going to start on technical drawings next as visually I don't think visually things are going to look to dissimilar to the above illustrations.

Chris
    Will the lug ends remain that sharp?

I hope this goes as far as Borns drawings for the PRS-9.

Square date window looks fine (have to agree that round windows are too easy to get misaligned).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Is that sarcasm I detect? :twisted: :lol: :P :blackeye:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Is that sarcasm I detect? :twisted: :lol: :P :blackeye:

john
    I am an American we don't do sarcasm.

Don't you think we have waited long enough for the PRS-9?

I know form your previous posts your not a fan of this one, which is fine, there are various parts to this design that many will either love or loathe.

I hope to one day create something that you'll feel compelled to comment on positively but until then you're stuck with this.

Best wishes, Chris.

Craftsman

Don't really have much to comment on... except I'd like to say that I think this watch is a true beauty. If anyone ever wanted to modernize an iconic design, this is definitely as good as it gets!

Excellent job, everyone - and especially Chris, of course!

Guntram

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guntram
    Don't really have much to comment on... except I'd like to say that I think this watch is a true beauty. If anyone ever wanted to modernize an iconic design, this is definitely as good as it gets!

Excellent job, everyone - and especially Chris, of course!

Guntram
    +1 (my first +1 for those who care!)

We all care Dave, I think it's time for a group hug.

Eddie

And one for Draz...

Where's that blushing icon when you need it :D

BTW: to my eyes, it looks like the date window is pillow shaped, mimicking the shape of the case. Now that's cool.

It is, mentioned around page 21, I think. Looks great, as you say.

Craftsman

We all care Dave, I think it's time for a group hug.

Eddie
    Like this!

I thought it was taste you boys didn't do :D
    I have no taste? How many of Eddies watches do you own?

Let's join in this group hug Ron, I was only joking.

But to answer the question above; I own none, yet, but when the wedding's paid for I'm hoping to treat myself.

I honestly do want to create something you'll approve of, and I'm not really one for arguing on forums or otherwise. So lets embrace, close your eyes imagine that group hug.

Chris

Chris - you do have to buy a 17C: it's the loveliest of watches. With a twelve hour stopwatch it makes for a great mission timer. It is a touch on the small side, which makes it cute rather than 'toolish'. Go on, treat yourself!

Stoby's numerous brilliant images of the PRS-14 have made that my number 1 choice although I'm warming to the the PRS-50, and by the time the big day is paid off Eddie may have produced an updated version without the No Radiations logo, which puts me off this one at the moment.

Chris

Chris,

We have remarkably similar tastes in watches it would seem. Of Eddie's watches may favourtites are also the 14 & 50. The only thing that's stopping me from getting the 14 is the lack of date, but my resistance is crumbling and Stoby's piccies have got a lot to do with that. I must admit thought, I am really excited about the Vanguard project and cannot wait to see what Eddie comes up with in that respect.

Cheers
    David

ps: Go easy on our American cousins, they've not all got appalling taste - just a crap leader!!! :lol:

PS, I'm the one with the hairy back in the image posted above!

Chris
    Make sure you get waxed before the Big Day. :)

Rick

GuySie

Hi guys, I stumbled upon this thread through a link at WatchUSeek discussing bronze watches. This one looks incredibly beautiful... but there hasn't been a post in a month. Could someone update on current status of the project, and what the probable timeline is for it to be made (if ever)? I'd love to know more about it, including when I have to start saving up to be able to afford it ;). Thanks!

Welcome to TZ-UK.
    The short answer is: ages yet. No definitive dates have been given so you have plenty of time to put the pennies together.

Hi GuySie

Welcome to TZ-UK. It's great to hear you've come across this project from another site.

To save you reading all the pages I'll briefly explain what's been happening:

This project was initially a concept I created which was based on a development of the PRS-20 which was put to the forum by Eddie (Site owner and watch manufacturer) to gauge reaction, nothing more.

Since the release of the first visual there has been a fair amount of interest with mixed but mostly positive comments from the TZ audience. This led me to create from scratch a new design following the theme of Italian dive watches. The result is what you have seen on the latter pages of this thread.

I have taken the visuals to a stage in which I and the majority of the Forum members are happy with. I have recently created technical drawings for this project which will soon be submitted to Eddie, then it's up to him whether or not he'd like to develop it further.

There are other projects in the pipeline and I know this isn't a priority but the more people who are willing to offer support for the project the greater chance there is of it becoming a reality.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by rickf

Yes, I hadn't forgotten Eddie's statement about the Roman numerals. It just so happens it's the one feature that I object to the most. Different strokes for different folks.

Rick
    Fortunately there are plenty out there without Roman numerals.

Below is an illustration of the crown detail, this is a 12 prong star taken from the outer case shape (3 equal rotations to create the star). Incorporating a new Precista 'P' for crown use, this 'P' is never upside-down.

And on the watch, with Precista Script and new second hand.

Comments always welcome.

Chris
    Bloody great.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman

Hi Folks,
    Like GuySie I have followed the trail from Watchuseek and think the proposed PRS30 looks to be worth saving the pennies for.

Of course there are a few limiting criteria...
    - the number of pennies involved.
    - sudden uncontrollable urges to buy other watches.
    - unspent matrimonial brownie points.