closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-30

Re: PRS-30

I thought the Italian too 'empty', a subdial would fill that in nicely.

Master

IMHO :D :D :D :D :D
    I would like the watch to have XII/III/VI/IX.
    I would like it without the crown guards and be a 3 hand version (central seconds).
    I really like the watch manual or automatic.
    I think the PRS 30 would complement my collection.
    Well done Eddie and Chris.
    By the way Chris congratulations for later this year and welcome to the merry go round.
    Simon

Thanks Simon.

I will get on to this project again soon and take on board your comments and those from previous posts and submit a development.

Just working on something else at the moment inbetween designing wedding invites and whole bunch of other stuff!

Check back soon.

Chris.

I was hoping this one would just disapear. We don't need this ugly watch.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    I was hoping this one would just disapear. We don't need this ugly watch.
    It's the 'design' process which bothers me. I wouldn't buy a watch if I knew it had been designed by photoshopping bits of googled images of other manufacturers watches to make a 'new' watch. No hommage there - it's just copying IMO.

Sorry - just my tuppence....

Neil

Firstly let me apologise to Ron Jr for updating this post, I know you're not keen on this one. :(

Neil, you're quite right. I never intended this to be a finished design nor did I intend to start a design process involving cutting, pasting and photoshop manipulation to create an end result, it was purely just to gain quick opinion from forum members on certain aspects of this concept.

The post was started by Eddie after I asked him what would be the likelihood of revisiting his Italian watch with dial that looked less Panerai and more unique, he posted a jpg I sent him and the rest snowballed from that.

Having had a few weeks away from this I've had time to think what I'd really like, as this was a personal project (just for fun) rather than a commercial one and knowing that this maybe well down Eddie's list of possible creations, or not even on it at all, I have started from scratch and come up with an updated visual. This time it's all new, apart from the strap, which is borrowed.

Here it is...

Possible spec: Brass Alloy case, Domed Crystal Glass, Sandwich Dial, Date Feature, Decorated Automatic Movement, Crystal Case Back.

As always, comments are welcome, Chris.

I would love to see that new "PRECISTA" logo replace the current one.

Wow Chris that's incredible? Is that just plain old Photoshop??

On the design: Don't you think the crown should be a tad bigger?
    But besides that, I really like it. Like the new hands too, but not sure about the secs hand (perhaps just not used to it in those 'pam' style watches) ;-)

Great work that and kudos to you!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman

Chris, I do like this design and I would buy this watch instantly, except I am not really fond of the hands :roll: They are too bold IMHO!

all the best

Jan

Well done Chris,

I do like this one a lot.
    Although I liked the first design this one is a significant improvement and with far more original looks.

I agree with Mike on his remarks.... the seconds hand could do with something extra... (same material as the other hands, lumed tip?)
    and the crown could be a tad thicker, the circumference looks ok (imho)
    The minute and hour hands are fine, keep 'm that way....

So Eddie put my name on #25
    ( nah... I'm not starting the feeding frenzy again.. :twisted: )

Master

Chris, that's very nice!

My observations are:

- the idea of the brass/gold coloured case is excellent - I'm thinking Anonimo Polluce;
    - if it's to be an auto, with date, then it's designed to be used every day rather than just for dress so a seconds hand is a good idea;
    - not 100% sure the date window works as it is, but it would be nice to have one;
    - my initial reaction was to query whether the linear second/minute markers round the chapter ring are in keeping with the more rounded aspects of the indices and 5-minute markers - however, I understand if you have central seconds you do need some sort of markers and they are growing on me;

Overall, as I say, very nice and depending on price it would be an attractive proposition...

Cheers,

Guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Wow Chris that's incredible? Is that just plain old Photoshop??

On the design: Don't you think the crown should be a tad bigger?
    But besides that, I really like it. Like the new hands too, but not sure about the secs hand (perhaps just not used to it in those 'pam' style watches) ;-)

Great work that and kudos to you!
    Thanks, I've drawn the watch in Macromedia Freehand, it's a program that getting old now and since been bought by adobe and dropped, the nearest application to it available now is Adobe Illustrator which I use at work. When I was happy with all the aspects of the watch I brought it into photoshop to add the shading (using the airbrush tool) layer by layer.

Comments appreciated, I'll leave it for a few days before I make any further alts, I normally have a different view on something when after I've seen it for a while. Plus I'm off to the lakes for my stag weekend tomorrow and will be in no fit state to do anything practical.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    ............................ Plus I'm off to the lakes for my stag weekend tomorrow and will be in no fit state to do anything practical.

Chris.
    Have a great time Chris.... last time to party as a 'free' man? :twisted:

The new design looks like an Oris ... sort of ... trying to look like something but not quite making it. :(

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

I prefer the original design I don't like the date and the chunkier case

Master

................Here it is...

Possible spec: Brass Alloy case, Domed Crystal Glass, Sandwich Dial, Date Feature, Decorated Automatic Movement, Crystal Case Back.

As always, comments are welcome, Chris.
    Chris, out of curiousity, why do you like the idea of a brass alloy case for this one?

I ask because it was my understanding that brass cases are softer while still being more brittle than stainless steeI, and if a stainless steel back and/or stainless steel crown and crown tube are used in conjunction with a brass main case, then water resistance could be compromised under varied conditions due to the different temperature expansion ratios of the respective metals.

Have you ever considered the possibility of using a hard and durable titanium nitride finish on stainless steel to achieve a "gold" color case? At one time I remember a company called Ti-Gold was applying this type of finish to various things and I imagine other companies did so as well in the past if not currently. I've seen "field" type watches with this type of finish and it's not as beautiful as actual gold or gold plate, but it is nice enough, I guess, and it is very durable and allows the advantages of stainless steel for the case.

Just a thought anyway.

I just love the colour of it. The Anonimo Polluce looks great and that has a brass/alloy case. I really don't mind what it's constructed from if it looks good and practical.

Chris

Craftsman

Love it. I realy like the idea of a brass case like the Anonimo.
    The only things I would like to see changing are the second hand...it's missing something. And the position of the date, although I think this will all depend on the movement used, I'd like to see it on the same distance from centre as the 5 minute markers on the dial.

Chris, while this design does not suit my taste on a number of points, I had to comment on your Macromedia/Photoshop skills. You've done a fantastic job creating this image. Very professional results.

Rick

(I would love to see a similar treatment for Eddie's other projects underway)

Quote Originally Posted by rickf
    Chris, while this design does not suit my taste on a number of points, I had to comment on your Macromedia/Photoshop skills. You've done a fantastic job creating this image. Very professional results.

Rick

You may not have too long to wait, a few weeks back I was working on a project with Eddie. I can't say anymore but it'll be worth the wait. Chris.

Master

Thats starting to stand on it's own two feet now I reckon - possibly because of the colour, but still. The case shape is still pure Anonimo and the dial Panerai but actually I like it! I think the treatment of the Precista logo goes a long way toward making it work - it's far, far better suited to this kind of watch, and I just prefer it's more modern feel anyway. I don't like the crown much - I think it looks like it found it's out of the parts bin and on to the wrong watch. I'd much prefer to see something that takes it's design cues from the shape of the case* - but on the whole I think you've turned it around. I quite like the hands too - may be if they didn't taper up to quite such a width? Your mock-up shows a nice thick layer of lume on the ends too which scores points with me. In fact if the watch looked as good in the flash as it does in your mock-up I might even buy one!

Good effort.

* How about a non-knurled, 5, 6 or 7? sided crown with arcs and curves that match the case, rather like a very fat ( and much smaller! ) fifty pence piece? Know what I mean?

Neil

Master

Just caught up with this thread, watch is looking great, I'd be very interested if the bronze case is a possibility.

I actually quite like that, although not sure about the hands (quite like the normal Italian ones).

I'd imagine the bronze case would be prohibitively expensive for a small manufacturer like Eddie, though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Just revisiting this thread and I must say that watch looks spectacular and I like it just the way it is. I would, however, be interested to see how it looked with Roman numerals,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by rickf

Rick

You may not have too long to wait, a few weeks back I was working on a project with Eddie. I can't say anymore but it'll be worth the wait. Chris.

That's the response I was fishing for. :) I look forward to seeing it.

I was going to tell you to have a fun stag weekend but you're probably already half pickled.

Rick

Anonimo must use a special bronze alloy for the Polluce. I spoke with a manufacturer today who said that ordinary bronze is too soft and would quickly turn black where it was in contact with the skin.

I did find one reference to the Anonimo alloy which stated it was an alloy of bronze, aluminium, iron and nickel.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Anonimo must use a special bronze alloy for the Polluce. I spoke with a manufacturer today who said that ordinary bronze is too soft and would quickly turn black where it was in contact with the skin.

I did find one reference to the Anonimo alloy which stated it was an alloy of bronze, aluminium, iron and nickel.

Eddie

There is an alloy called "Nickel-Aluminium Bronze" so maybe that's it? Found this link talking about it in relation to valves (and comparisons with other materials.)

Cheers,

Guy :)

That NAB looks interesting and has significantly better corrosion resistance than stainless steel, although it contains 6% nickel compared with 8-12% in stainless steel. Here's what the law says about nickel in jewellery:

................all products that come into direct and prolonged contact with the skin must have a rate of nickel release less than or equal to 0·5 micrograms per square centimetre, per week. In other words, it is prohibited to supply the product if the rate of release is greater than 0·5 micrograms per square centimetre, per week. 'Direct and prolonged contact' means actually touching the skin under normal use for continuous periods of time.
    I haven't a clue how you would test this.

NAB has a hardness of 190 Brinell (a new one on me), which converts to 200 Vickers/91.5 Rockwell: 316L stainless steel has a hardness of 217 Brinell, or 228 Vickers/93.4 Rockwell.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

The Anonimo case back is steel, for this reason I think.

There's a Def.Stan for Bronze here,
    http://www.aalco.co.uk/technical/datash ... NES833.pdf

imo the blackening or patination is one of the attractions of the Anonimo bronze case 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Which is strange when you consider that stainless steel can contain up to double the amount of nickel in NAB.

Eddie

Master

NAB, I think this could be the way forward :lol:
    Nickel Aluminum Bronze — An alloy containing nominally 82% copper, 10% aluminum, 5% nickel and 3% iron. Best suited for applications where heavy loads, friction, corrosion and wear are a concern.

Don't Anonimo say something about it being the bronze alloy used for propellers, for which statement NAB would make sense.

I wonder how similar it is to my Cleveland 56 deg. wedge:

As bad as my golf game is I always seem to hit a good shop with this club.

It has a nice look to it and is touted as a bronze aluminum alloy. At the time I bought it several years ago the dealer told me Cleveland was discontinuing production because the alloy required some extrmely hazardous materials that made it prohibitively expensive.

Rick

I have to say that I love this design:

This chap's digital image skills are top shelf. 8) I LOVE that dial. I even like those hands.

While I am in the minority, I really prefer at least 44mm and 26mm lugs, or 44 and 24mm lugs. I guess 42 is okay, but I thought that the size of the Italian was perfect.

I also recommend, as per my experience with the screw down crown on the Italian, to go with a non screw down 100m crown. It makes sense to cut our any possible problems in the design phase. If I were Eddie would would go that route just to avoid potential problems not only if Fricker messes it up, but also for some customers who would mess up even a non defective screw down crown.

Also, I am partial to Swiss movements. What if it ever needs service or repair, many years down the road? I'd rather pay more for a Swiss powered one no matter how good the Seagulls are reputed to be. That's just my bias.

This was a surprise. I even liked the original design posted at the top of the thread. I actually got excited until I noticed the 42mm and Seagull stuff. Oh well, you can't please everyone and trying to do so is an exercise in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Which is strange when you consider that stainless steel can contain up to double the amount of nickel in NAB.
    When it comes to nickel allergy, the amount of nickel bound in an alloy is largely uninteresting. How tightly it is bound in the material and the rate of release are the key issues.

Master

Propeller bronze alloy, loving it.
    Dial and hands very big thumbs up.

Date position IMHO is fine but needs a date wheel that puts the numerals in the same orientation as the dial, otherwise I don't like the date position. Crown doesn't look 'manly' enough for such a chunky looking piece. I would probably go for a big straight crown with a nicely rounded end cap, I thought about onion shape but I am not sure this would look right either, not sure. The proposed diamond shaped crown definitely doesn't look right though.

Not a big fan myself of the anomino/panerai stuff but this design just looks so good it has got me gripped.

Forgive me but I'm not convinced another Panerai lookalike will really sell. There are so many already out there.

Like it, in fact I like it a lot.
    Bronze alloy that patinates sounds fantastic.
    I've been looking for a watch in gold plate or gold coloured PVD or DLC
    for a little while that I would want to wear. Bronze would be good.
    Another couple of comments...
    I'm not sure about the crown, it looks as if it should be a couple of mm bigger.
    The Precista script should be more GOTHIC.
    I like the date location, but don't think the font is strong or distinctive enough.
    (I wouldn't be able to read the date without glasses anyway.)
    I own a Millimetri & the "Anonimo" case shape is incredibly comfortable to wear &
    doesn't seem as large on the wrist as quoted in mm. But please don't use tiny little screws & bars.
    Thanks for reading & i hope this is constructive.
    Take it easy...
    Jim...
    ______

​Jim.

Master

It looks amazing, love the font, hands, dial and bronzecolour case, not normally a fan of the roman numerals, but on this one they do look good.

I do like it as well, but I am intrigued about the negative reaction by John (abraxas). I think the paralel was done with Oris....pretending to be something different but not really getting anywhere......

I'd still like to see a different crown.

Eddie

Eddie
    Me too, when I posted above about a larger crown,
    I should have said a "larger, differently shaped" crown.
    Hexagonal, perhaps?
    I don't fancy the screw down on a 100m watch either.
    Plenty do it with double O rings {he wrote confidently,
    but still expecting to be shot down in flames}.

Take it easy...
    Jim...
    ______

​Jim.

Master

Eddie
    I agree. It needs to be bigger, and shaped in line with the rectangular style of the watch. Also, the date needs to be moved out.

Love the watch otherwise. Well done.

Pete

Master

My Ennebi is 1000m rated and doesn't have a screw down crown 8)

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    I do like it as well, but I am intrigued about the negative reaction by John (abraxas). I think the paralel was done with Oris....pretending to be something different but not really getting anywhere......
    A few years back Oris brought out a Luminor Marina homage without the crown guard and a different dial. It looked too much like they were jumping on a band wagon without too much thought. This rendition reminded me of that watch. It was something very typical of Oris when they are in that mood. Unfortunately I cannot find a pic of the Oris and it was only ever mentioned here once, if that.

I just don't think the design above stands. It has strong elements of MM ... and then it's trying to avoid looking like Panerai in a haphazard way.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master

Crowns,

I like this very much: the bronze case, the h/m hands, the dial and even the crown shape. The crown should be a bit bigger and I'd like to see a second hand tip echoing the 5 minute markers (Seiko-ish, but on the business end). I could go either way on the Precista font, though I'll say that having an alternative to the script would be handy for certain styles of watches. The date window is OK, but would prefer a vertical (vice radial) orientation of the date. On the wrist, the date will be almost orthogonal to the line of sight (as when glancing at the watch whilst driving - or diving for that matter). Any thoughts on a Cali dial/no date?

My guess is that this is a fun exercise but it will never be built.

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    My guess is that this is a fun exercise but it will never be built.
    It's certainly not top of the list but I'm liking it (except for the crown :wink: ).

Eddie

stephen sager

this is an insanely beautiful watch and if it was 42mm would be my first TF watch.