closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help valuing an antique (1930's?) burr walnut tallboy

Help valuing an antique (1930's?) burr walnut tallboy

Very off topic but it never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge there is on this forum. I have a vintage chest of drawers/tallboy that I assume to be 1930's. It was a gift a long time ago but there is no place for it in my new house so it needs to go. Made by a reputable cabinet maker in Norwich, Trevor Page & Co. I was thinking of putting it on Ebay but before I do I'd like to have some idea of its value. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No idea of value, sorry. However it’s looks nice and to my mind, walnut is decent wood. Not sure how something like this would sell on eBay, maybe get a good price, or possibly go for peanuts.

You’re doing the right thing by trying to find out more about it’s value.

Master
    Having watched quite a few of these antique show's over the past month's it seem's that brown furniture is not in vogue right now. On saying that it is a very nice thing.

You will have get it appraised by someone in the know.

Master
    Looks to be walnut, burl wood veneer so a thin cover of an attractive wood over a cheaper base wood. It's nice and I don't know current value but these type of 'brown' wood antiques have been in the doldrums for decades. I have heard that there has been an uplift in values recently but you are unlikely to retire on the proceeds. A complete guess but £120 and that's not an offer.

Craftsman
    I've been going to house clearance auctions for years, albeit not in the last two but as others have said, this sort of stuff isn't much loved at the moment. I've seen stuff like this go for £20-50 at auction. Some of it would be worth more as firewood unfortunately. Still worth dropping it off at a local auction house to get what you can for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I've been going to house clearance auctions for years, albeit not in the last two but as others have said, this sort of stuff isn't much loved at the moment. I've seen stuff like this go for £20-50 at auction. Some of it would be worth more as firewood unfortunately. Still worth dropping it off at a local auction house to get what you can for it.
    My father had one similar but not as nice. When we auctioned his estate it made £80. The auctioneer valued it at 20 to 30. Minus costs of course. With shipping its hardly worth it tbh.

Master
    Clean deco walnut can have surprisingly strong prices. Not get timing to sell though if you can afford to wait.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately not in fashion. Undoubtedly a fine piece of furniture and would probably last another 100 years. Had the same problem a while back with an antique dresser. In the end I gave it away to a furniture dealer in the hope he could find it a home.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    A lovely piece, unfortunately this type of furniture goes in and out of fashion like you wouldn’t believe and prices generally follow fashion fickleness for brown furniture. Well looked after walnut veneer looks great, particularly if there is some pattern matching going on and it looks great on your piece. In my mind it worth a very easy £100+ of anyone’s money, if t’were mine, it would absolutely not be going anywhere!
    Last edited by KavKav; 20th February 2021 at 17:53.

Thanks to everyone who replied, it was very helpful.

Just to update the thread, I sold the Tallboy for £120.

It went to a dealer so presumably there's some profit to be made on it.

I was just happy to move it on as I didn't have any space for it.

Master
    I’m sure you got the right price so congratulations. But, this type of thing seems massively undervalued, compare this to the tat you get in IKEA for similar price and it’s crazy. Even crazier is what some people pay for a single kitchen cabinet!