closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Pilot’s watch Mark XVIII edition “Tribute to Mark XI

Master

IWC Pilot’s watch Mark XVIII edition “Tribute to Mark XI

This arrived yesterday morning, courtesy of Watchfinder. I’d been browsing their website late on Tuesday night when I saw it was due to be listed for sale. I assumed they would be listing it for more than the RRP when the model was launched back in 2017, in which case I wouldn’t be able to afford it. I’d noticed one listed on Chrono 24 by a London dealer who was asking a ridiculous £4300.

I had a reply from Watchfinder early the following morning. Their asking price wasn’t ludicrous. I asked if there was any room to negotiate and they reduced the asking price by £100. I paid the money and it was on my wrist a day later.

It’s a full set and was originally sold by the Paris IWC boutique in December 2017. It’s a green fabric IWC strap, though not the Nato style the watch was originally sold with. In just under 23 hours it has lost 3 seconds so I’m happy with the accuracy.

I know that fellow member bwest77 has one of these. I’ve only seen one listed for sale here and that was good value at an asking price of £2950. That was back in December 2019. I paid a good few hundred pounds more for this one, but that brings a 24 months Watchfinder warranty. I think the RRP was £3790.

They’re a rare beast, just 1948 of them as a nod to the celebrated XI model, released in 1948. The watches aren’t individually numbered though. The case back is inscribed “One out of 1948”.

When I started here I soon built up a collection of diver watches. I thought of them as practical and rugged, which they undoubtedly are. But in the last few years I’ve turned away from them to pilot watches. The smaller size suits me. I’ve owned a couple of IWC Pilot Mark XV watches and I regret moving them on. The XV and the earlier XII with the JLC movement tick a lot of boxes for me.

I could wish that my latest IWC was just a couple of mm smaller, but 40mm isn’t excessive. I could wish it didn’t have a date window, but at least this model has a date window that matches the dial. I love the handset. IWC really should have retained this style of hands for its subsequent range of pilot watches. It’s a shame it says Automatic on the dial, but otherwise it’s generally free of superfluous text. I can barely make out the micro print of Swiss below the 6 marker. Am I right in thinking this model has a hooked 7? None of the reviews I’ve read mention this so I’m probably wrong on this point.

I know the movement is nothing special. The calibre 35111 is little more than a variation of the humdrum Sellita SW300-1. The Smiths Navigator that I briefly owned is arguably closer to the XI than this Tribute model. You could buy that or Eddie’s Speedbird (the non-date option appeals to me) and save yourself a lot of money and be just as happy with your choice.

I intend this to be my last major watch purpose. At my time of life I can’t justify spending as much again on a watch. It was a lot of money for me and would be the same for most people. In this small community that’s not so much the case. This watch is barely three years old and with regular services it should serve me well for many years. That’s how I justify the outlay.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 19th February 2021 at 22:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s lovely, I’m a big fan of IWC pilot’s watches & have a 1945 ‘Mark X, a 1948 Mark XI, a Mark XII and a Mark 1 Big Pilot. Wear it in good health 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    That’s lovely, I’m a big fan of IWC pilot’s watches & have a 1945 ‘Mark X, a 1948 Mark XI, a Mark XII and a Mark 1 Big Pilot. Wear it in good health 
    I know you have those and I always enjoy seeing your pictures of them. The 1948 Mark XI is a particular favourite of mine.

Very nice. I wish they used those hands on the current mark xviii

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think its lovely, classic and understated.

Very nice indeed - I really like the hands.

Master
    Very nice Sean👍

Master
    Really nice, though it seems to me to be closer in character to a XII than an XI, having a domed sapphire crystal, a date, a screw-down crown and an automatic movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Really nice, though it seems to me to be closer in character to a XII than an XI, having a domed sapphire crystal, a date, a screw-down crown and an automatic movement.
    I wouldn’t disagree with you on that. And I think you have an XII. As an aside, I know the XI was in production from 1948 until the model was finally retired in 1984. But I’ve never seen any models other than those from 1948 through to the 1960s on sale via auction sites or dealers. Never any examples from the 1970s or 1980s. Imagine owning one of them from the early 1980s, albeit it would be a civilian model. I’m really smitten by the XI, XII and XV models.

It was mine that was sold in December 2019 and I often regret it. They're lovely watches and this is definitely the pick of the Mark XVIIIs. It looks good on almost any kind of strap, is comfortable, classy and understated. You'll love it :-).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    It was mine that was sold in December 2019 and I often regret it. They're lovely watches and this is definitely the pick of the Mark XVIIIs. It looks good on almost any kind of strap, is comfortable, classy and understated. You'll love it :-).
    I saw your listing at the time and was sorry I didn’t have the money to go for it. This has now lost 3 seconds in the space of 36 hours, which is much better than I expected. Oddly enough, I haven’t felt the guilt I normally experience after spending what is for me a large sum of money on a trinket. But from this point onwards the buying and selling stops and I just focus on enjoying what’s on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I saw your listing at the time and was sorry I didn’t have the money to go for it. This has now lost 3 seconds in the space of 36 hours, which is much better than I expected. Oddly enough, I haven’t felt the guilt I normally experience after spending what is for me a large sum of money on a trinket. But from this point onwards the buying and selling stops and I just focus on enjoying what’s on my wrist.
    As I recall mine was pretty accurate too. If this is where your buying and selling ends then it's a very nice place to stop :-).

These are a really nice watch, easily the best looking IWC pilots watch for some time.
    I hope you enjoy it, if it’s your last watch purchase it’s a good place to finish.

Master
    Really great looking watch. I love the look of no date but in reality I miss not having one when I wear a watch without one. This one is very well executed.

Master
    Tidy Beard and Sinnlover, thanks for the kind words. I’m thinking this is the watch I’m going to wear almost every day for many years to come and if that’s the case then the price becomes justifiable. Before I joined this place I wore a Chronoswiss Kairos watch for many years and then replaced it with a Breitling Avenger Seawolf that was worn almost every day for the best part of seven years. It has taken me a good few years to realise that hoarding watches really isn’t for me. I can only wear one at a time and the ones that aren’t being worn become hard to justify. It’s now a case of enjoying what I have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a fine looking piece,quietly understated .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I wouldn’t disagree with you on that. And I think you have an XII. As an aside, I know the XI was in production from 1948 until the model was finally retired in 1984. But I’ve never seen any models other than those from 1948 through to the 1960s on sale via auction sites or dealers. Never any examples from the 1970s or 1980s. Imagine owning one of them from the early 1980s, albeit it would be a civilian model. I’m really smitten by the XI, XII and XV models.
    The mark xi was issued until 1984 but was only manufactured from 1948 to 1953. So watches issued beyond 1953 were from stock. You won’t see any serial numbers on the back which are anything other than 48-53 in them. Radium dials were largely changed to Tritium hence you won’t see many without a circled T

Master
    Looks lovely Sean and has a nice classic/vintage appearance. Here's hoping it lives up to your one watch expectations

Master
    The mark xi was issued until 1984 but was only manufactured from 1948 to 1953. So watches issued beyond 1953 were from stock. You won’t see any serial numbers on the back which are anything other than 48-53 in them. Radium dials were largely changed to Tritium hence you won’t see many without a circled T
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. The XI and an Omega ‘53 RAF 6B/542 definitely feature in my personal fantasy watch collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Looks lovely Sean and has a nice classic/vintage appearance. Here's hoping it lives up to your one watch expectations
    Thanks for that, Dave. It’s taken me a long time to understand that I really shouldn’t bother with watches any bigger than 40mm. I just don’t have the wrist for anything bigger. The IWC and my manual wind non-date Tutima 1941 flieger chronograph are the two good watches I have to show after years of horse trading here. The IWC definitely works as a no fuss daily wearer. There’s also my Garmin Instinct solar but that’s one for specific activities.

Super watch, congratulations

Blog Entries
    Amazing watch Sean. I have looked at that model as few times. Don’t sell it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Amazing watch Sean. I have looked at that model as few times. Don’t sell it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Michael. I’m going to make myself a hostage to fortune by publicly declaring this one won’t be sold. It’s a full set and in great condition. What would I replace it with? It’s taken me a long time to realise that the IWC Pilot series is the best option for me.

Stanford and others: Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed writing that little review and it’s good to receive some positive feedback.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations its a fine watch,I paid full retail which was over £4,000 I think,my memory's shot (i could have had it cheaper elsewhere).

But I wasn't worried about resale (unlike a lot of people here),plus I realy liked the people in the Munich shop so the watch has good vibes for me.

I also ignored all the negative comments people had about the watch and took it for what it is,Its a far better way to enjoy a watch,not worrying about value or others opinions on its looks/movement.

Seeing your post I wound and set mine it and I am wearing it now,I think,I have spotted a small mark on the case,I don't mind its to be worn You cant take it with you.

Just think to yourself I own a classic,limited edition(ish) watch and its a IWC.

I think it looks best on a classic,simple,black leather strap with off white or cream stitching like this.

I havent been posting on here of late,but I check in everyday to read posts of interest,but you have drawn me out.

I just couldn't take "Herr inspector troublemaker" constantly proving he ran the place and putting people down anymore,it was/is badly effecting my health,I decided it was better to be the grey man.

Master
    bwest76 I’ve always enjoyed your posts about this particular watch and your Zenith chrono. I also enjoy reading your motorcycle tour posts even though I know nothing about bikes and have never been on one. Don’t disappear from here. Look after yourself and I hope you have some good bike trips later this year. Stay safe.

That is a lovely watch indeed. I think I spotted this on the Friday thread and thought that it one to add to my wish list.

Master
    I too spotted it on the Friday thread but could not immediately place it. I was looking for MK x-something on the dial!

I have a MK XII, bought in April last year from a jeweller who joined Chrono24 so he could continue to trade in lockdown, and like you I have made myself a promise not to flip it.

Congratulations, a lovely watch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Learned something new again, didn't know this particular model existed. That is a lovely watch indeed.

IWC Pilot’s watch Mark XVIII edition “Tribute to Mark XI

My favourite IWC since the MKXII and for me a better size, added to this the limited numbers and you have a true modern classic. Great choice Shaun.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 21st February 2021 at 10:11.

Master
    Thanks, I'd often wondered about this as well. My 1994 Watches from IWC book which was given to me by Garrard on Rgent Street after I'd tried on a Doppelchrono states that "The legendary Mark XI will never be manufactured again" a couple of sentences before "Introducing the Mark XII", which always suggested to me that the XI had been discontinued relatively recently.

Master
    An excellent choice, seabiscuit, really nice in every way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Since viewing the MK XX thread I have been wearing my 1945 tribute.

It is by far my favourite iteration of this classic IWC watch.

The best hand set,the best date window (if we have to have one),best case,best crystal and a movement easy to service.

All the things people see as a negative do not bother me.

Though I do hope one day IWC will make (with this exact hand and dial design) a a 37mm,dateless,manual wind with 18mm lugs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Since viewing the MK XX thread I have been wearing my 1945 tribute.

It is by far my favourite iteration of this classic IWC watch.

The best hand set,the best date window (if we have to have one),best case,best crystal and a movement easy to service.

All the things people see as a negative do not bother me.

Though I do hope one day IWC will make (with this exact hand and dial design) a a 37mm,dateless,manual wind with 18mm lugs.

Very nice, I wonder if they will ever do a version of the Mark XX as a Mark XI tribute with that hand set and no date ... ???

Having owned the Mark XX for a year now, as my main wearer, I have come to appreciate the handset and whilst I think in principal I prefer yours as it's more true to the Mark XI I'm equally happy with the XX.

I prefer the white date window as I think it gives more balance visually, again I thought I'd prefer a no date but I have found the date useful ...

I wonder if they'd fit that handset to a Mark XX on service? Although it would probably look wrong as the lume isn't a match,
    Last edited by Montello; 2nd November 2023 at 15:45.

The smallest no date pilot watch IWC makes is a 43mm dinner plate.

I'd love to see a non-limited 38-39mm version with no date and 20mm lug width. They would sell like ice cream cones on a hot day at the county fair.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I'd love to see a non-limited 38-39mm version with no date and 20mm lug width. They would sell like ice cream cones on a hot day at the county fair.

I think that would be popular. Drilled lugs as well.

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice but wouldnt 20mm be to wide?

My choice would be for fixed bars as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Very nice, I wonder if they will ever do a version of the Mark XX as a Mark XI tribute with that hand set and no date ... ???

Having owned the Mark XX for a year now, as my main wearer, I have come to appreciate the handset and whilst I think in principal I prefer yours as it's more true to the Mark XI I'm equally happy with the XX.

I prefer the white date window as I think it gives more balance visually, again I thought I'd prefer a no date but I have found the date useful ...

I wonder if they'd fit that handset to a Mark XX on service? Although it would probably look wrong as the lume isn't a match,

I like the fact that you are happy with yours.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the fact that you are happy with yours.
    To 99% of the population the watches are identical….

Nice but wouldnt 20mm be to wide?
    Not at all. The original 36mm watch had 18mm lug width so a larger watch should have a larger lug width and a 20mm strap is pretty standard these days. The 38mm Hamilton Murph has a 20mm lug width and it works great. The 39mm IWC Spitfire has 20mm lugs and the proportions look perfect. It's a different style watch but the Rolex Datejust is 36mm and has had 20mm lugs for 60+ years.

Master

There is the IWC Pilot’s Watch Mark XVIII Edition “HODINKEE” https://limited.hodinkee.com/iwc/ which has no date. Looks good and 39mm

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    There is the IWC Pilot’s Watch Mark XVIII Edition “HODINKEE” https://limited.hodinkee.com/iwc/ which has no date. Looks good and 39mm
    I guess I should have stipulated a stainless steel case as well.

The watch you highlight was a limited edition and has been sold out as soon as it was announced a few years ago. But you are right, it does look good and illustrates how simple it would be for IWC to make a no date version. Put that movement/dial/handset in a stainless case which would preserve the limited status of the Hodinkee version with its "Ceratanium" case.