closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Navitimer Water Resistance

Master

Navitimer Water Resistance

Hi,

Daft question maybe, but would you think a Navitimer with it's 30m WR was ok in everyday use, just...life...with the odd rinse under a tap to keep it clean? I'm sure it is, I never worried about my X-33 so dunno why I am overthinking this. I think its was because I saw a Breitling service receipt that really laid it on thick about how "this 1950's case won't let you breath on it without the rusk of moisture" but that might be cos the person had water damage it in. Also, I suppose the slide rule bezel is different.

Only asking as I might get a 43mm one, but I don't want it to be impractical.

Blog Entries
    Two schools of thought on this:

1) water resistance ratings are put there by the marketing departments to stop products stepping on each others toes - so anything above "splash resistance" should be ok. Maybe go by the manufactures guidelines. https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/serv...ter-resistance. (interesting they are still peddling the fallacy of dynamic water pressure which was debunked many moons ago)
    2) you have to have a watch with at least 200m wrt to get it wet

Either way water resistance is more to do with the integrity of the watch seals and case apertures - by having the wrt tested annually. I actually had my watch wrt tested by my local Timpsons (it was my wife's Tissot btw) who had a little bench tester. But a competent watch shop should be able to do that for you at little or no charge.

Not sure I would go swimming with a Navitimer tbh - even a modern one - but it's your choice.

Modern ones are definitely better than earlier versions
    I would expect a modern one to be at least splash proof.
    I would not even get an older one wet in the rain.

Grand Master
    I routinely wear vintage watches with a WR rating of 30 metres, they get splashed and get wet frequently but they never leak. However, all have been restored by me, crowns have been replaced or new seals fitted, caseback seals have been replaced and crystals have been replaced. It’s not the WR rating that’s a worry, its the condition if seals and possible corrosion of sealing faces that’s the issue and that applies regardless of the original WR. The original WR us usually dictated by distortion of the case when under oressure, that isn’t an issue when washing your hands.

Master
    Cool, thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I routinely wear vintage watches with a WR rating of 30 metres, they get splashed and get wet frequently but they never leak. However, all have been restored by me, crowns have been replaced or new seals fitted, caseback seals have been replaced and crystals have been replaced. It’s not the WR rating that’s a worry, its the condition if seals and possible corrosion of sealing faces that’s the issue and that applies regardless of the original WR. The original WR us usually dictated by distortion of the case when under oressure, that isn’t an issue when washing your hands.
    You are 100% correct but with the Navitimer think we have an outlier, the case is more hole than case. I have never seen a vintage one that has been sealed well enough that you could trust it. The bezel case interface is especially prone to leaking. Lots of vintage models have water ingress markings on the internal bezel. The are a beautiful watch and perfect for their intended use. But water and a Navitimer do not agree.

If you are flying along and all of a sudden worried about getting it wet something serious has gone wrong.

Master
    If it were me I'd get the Sinn 903. WR of 10 bar and just as functional in every way. 41mm too which is a better size for me.

And half the price.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

A good question.

I have a modern Navitimer World worn on either leather or sailcloth. I have always been conscious that it has no screw down crown and chronograph pushers, and so I would never choose to swim in it. I am not so paranoid that I wouldn’t do the washing up or wash my hands while wearing it, but I have never fully immersed it.

I am a fan of dive watches and have plenty of watches I can wear in a swimming pool - the fact that I can’t/won’t do so with my Navitimer is no real barrier to ownership for me.

If it helps, I was a LOT more paranoid about my 2005 Speedmaster!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    If it were me I'd get the Sinn 903. WR of 10 bar and just as functional in every way. 41mm too which is a better size for me.

And half the price.

Hold on that’s my standard response!!!

I did try to avoid recommending the 903 yet again...
    I have 2 now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hold on that’s my standard response!!!

I did try to avoid recommending the 903 yet again...
    I have 2 now.
    Any pictures? Always like seeing real-world shots.

It should be fine for everyday use just be aware and don't submerge the watch or shower whilst wearing it.

However I certainly wouldn't be rinsing a Navitimer under the tap!

Rinsing a Navitimer under a tap seems a bit unnecessary. I think the only "watch" I feel the need to ever rinse is my apple watch after a run.

I've owned two Navitimers before, an older ETA model an a B01. The bezel action, whilst smooth, was very stiff on the older version. I'd be concerned that regular water immersion could make something like that worse on a Navitimer.

For everyday use though, such as getting the odd splash on it when washing your hands, the Navi is fine.
    Last edited by Christian; 20th February 2021 at 11:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Any pictures? Always like seeing real-world shots.

Sure a couple from from my phone

I know they don’t have the known brand name but I genuinely think the 903 is a better watch. (I realise I sound like a stuck record, I always say that).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sure a couple from from my phone

I know they don’t have the known brand name but I genuinely think the 903 is a better watch. (I realise I sound like a stuck record, I always say that).
    I agree. Maybe controversial, but to me the Sinn is more the thinking man's choice. Unless you want the Breitling name.

I am biased though with 2 x 556, an 857 and a 144.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Journeyman
    Please don’t run under the tap. By the time the water gets in it’s too late. The seals ‘should’ be up to snuff on a modern watch, but even so, better safe than sorry. Get a cheap watch for getting wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk