closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lorier Hydra II review - An unsung vintage-inspired diver

Lorier Hydra II review - An unsung vintage-inspired diver

I haven't seen many reviews of the Lorier Hydra V2, so I thought I would give my opinion here.

The initial appeal:
    I have been a big fan of gilt dial watches for some time, possibly sparked by the Dr. No Connery Submariner. But it is quite rare to find a brand that offers a tasteful gilt dial. So a vintage vibe diver that also ticks this box holds great appeal for me - however. I wouldn'€™t take a true vintage watch swimming.

There has been a lot of furore about the Black Bay 58, and whilst it is a superb looking watch, I wanted something I wouldn't worry about jumping in a pool with. I have had a diver fail on me before.

After some investigation I stumbled across some Lorier divers with gilt dials. I liked the Neptune, but it felt a little in-your-face. And then I saw the Hydra. There are not many supercompressor style watches these days, and excepting maybe the Longines Legend (depending on your budget), none of them are really in the price range I was aiming for.

The dial:
    To me, the Hydra has a sensational dial , it is understated and quite elegant. On the wrist it gives a delightful blend function and if it weren't for the dual crowns and rotating chapter ring, it could even be quite dressy.
    The date at 6 is a subtle touch that balances nicely with the rest of the dial. You might compare it to the Longines, but to me it looks like it takes some inspiration from a Le Coultre or some of the other supercomressors of old. It is very much its own thing. And I like that.
    I also love the way that the timer has multiple uses, with the minute markers for timing and also hour markers to track a second timezone. This is aiming at that "śone watch"€ť for several situations and gets me thinking of how useful it might be for Mr Bond.

The Case and crystal:
    It is a beautifully slender case with none of the slab-sided profile that Tudors are famous for. The only thing that is particularly pronounced is the crystal which is acrylic (a rare treat in my opinion to see on a modern watch). The crowns are also fairly chunky, which is common to the style of a supercompressor and won't be to everyone'™s taste. But they are very functional and smooth in operation. The shape of the case reminds me a little of a vintage Omega on the wrist, nice and snug, but perhaps a little more angular. If I have one complaint it is that the underside edges of the case are a little crisply cut (there is no bevelling) but I have only noticed this when holding the watch in my hand, never when wearing. There is a nice pattern around the screw-on case-back that isn'€™t overly fussy like on some divers, this echoes its focus on function as a vintage-style tool-watch.

The movement:
    This has a lovely smooth sweep, none of the jitteriness that I have experienced with other brands at this price point. I believe that the power reserve is around 42 hours, which is not huge by modern standards but it is enough for me. I have found it around +/- 7 seconds a day which is not bad at all. There is an occasional whirring when you move your hand in a certain direction (typical of a Miyota), I know some people dislike Miyotas because of this but it doesn'€™t overly bother me. A lot of watches, especially vintage ones have their quirks - but if it had a more refined movement, this would likely cost a great deal more.

On the wrist:
    I tend to wear the Hydra on a strap or a NATO. It does look good on the bracelet (check our their website for pictures of it on a bracelet) but I personally think it looks even better on leather or nylon.

So I wanted to give my impressions of what I believe is an underrated and rarely mentioned watch. I think it is a hidden gem in their collection.
    Last edited by Dannacet; 19th February 2021 at 18:48.

Looks good and not blingy as i tend to associate any gold with.

The brown strap and hands do compliment each other well.

The two chunky crowns look like they mean business without looking to out of place.

How much was it and were did you get it?

thanks

Lorier Hydra II review - An unsung vintage-inspired diver

Yes I agree, I think leather complements the gold nicely. I got it direct from Lorier.

Price was $499.

That became Ł455 after shipping, taxes and duty to the UK. But it did arrive in 2 days from New York!

I was happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good write-up, and that looks like a very nice watch. I picked up a Neptune II coming up for 2 years ago and I've been very impressed with it, Lorier have got a nice thing going on. Also, I know you are wearing that on a NATO, but the Lorier bracelet it absolutely one of the nicest I've handled.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Very nice looking watch. I keep coming back to Lorier....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Good write-up, and that looks like a very nice watch. I picked up a Neptune II coming up for 2 years ago and I've been very impressed with it, Lorier have got a nice thing going on. Also, I know you are wearing that on a NATO, but the Lorier bracelet it absolutely one of the nicest I've handled.
    Thanks. On the bracelet, I think you are right. I have neglected it a bit in my review. Having fitted it back on to the watch, it's reminiscent of vintage omega bracelets. Well constructed and very comfortable.

I do like the Neptune as well. It's a really attractive watch. Definitely has that classic vintage diver vibe nailed.

Master
    Thread resurrection... Hydra II in Blue/Silver back in stock

Thanks for the review, got an email today and the blue/silver back in stock. Very tempted and did I mention it's Acrylic!!

https://www.lorierwatches.com/produc...ii-blue-silver