closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent 1/2” socket and spanner tool set recommendation

Decent 1/2” socket and spanner tool set recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Funnily enough, I seem to use mine in an inverse square to the size - 1/4 most often, then 3/8 with 1/2 and 3/4 being used rarely. For reference, I do restore motorbikes and old stationary engines.

Of course, a decent windy gun and appropriate sockets mean that most of the unshiftables are only a temporary annoyance.

I have a couple of 18v impact drivers too, and they do a reasonable job, but again , the proper impact bits will save heartache and cost in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As most of my work is also on motorcycles (I’ve never got into stationary engines (if it doesn’t move, what’s the point? ), 1/4” and 3/8” are my goto sizes. I tend to pick up 3/8” first though as the 1/4” stuff is a little too dainty for my sausage fingers!

A good electric impact driver is an absolute boon for the really hard to shift stuff; it saves jumping up and down on the end of a long bar; which usually leads to grazed shins.

Halfords are good enough for hobbyists, if your doing it for a living or racing then SnapOn but very expensive

If you're doing it for a living or racing I'd suspect you don't need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Halfords are good enough for hobbyists, if your doing it for a living or racing then SnapOn but very expensive
    To be fair to Halfords stuff I needed a 1/2” set when I moved from a previous employer to Land Rover back in the mid 90s. I still have the same set now albeit somewhat depleted however the ratchet and some sockets are still going strong with only minimal chrome flake.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    To be fair to Halfords stuff I needed a 1/2” set when I moved from a previous employer to Land Rover back in the mid 90s. I still have the same set now albeit somewhat depleted however the ratchet and some sockets are still going strong with only minimal chrome flake.
    This week I got new ends for my Thor copper mallet, I bought it in 1976

I didn't know they were replacable ! Mine still going strong since 1986 and an (admittedly rarely used) impact driver (the one you hit) was used last summer and that was bought from Argos in 1985.

I spent a lot of money on a Thor hide mallet in 1980, but I haven't been able to find it since.

I've got half a tin of Castrol grease from the early 80s. Is there a market for vintage grease?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I spent a lot of money on a Thor hide mallet in 1980, but I haven't been able to find it since.
    Very good, I assume it’s on Valhalla👍

You have some good ideas and I’ll chip in, having collected top stuff for 45 years
    Screwdrivers-Wiha or Wera
    Socket set- snap on, stahlwille,bahco ,britool,Teng
    Pliers-channel-lock, Knipex
    Hammers- William whitehouse (no longer made so eBay etc)
    Allen keys/torx-Bondhus or HaFu.
    I’d give a big shout out for “prime tools”- no connection but just bought some torque wrenches at good prices and they sell great brands
    Choose as carefully as you can, loads of crap about

Master
    Def some sound advice, most appreciated.

I’ve got pretty much the other bits covered, screwdrivers are Wera etc... weirdly, I’ve only ever bought cheap socket sets, other bits I’ve always gone by the ‘pay nice pay twice’ attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You have some good ideas and I’ll chip in, having collected top stuff for 45 years
    I’d give a big shout out for “prime tools”- no connection but just bought some torque wrenches at good prices and they sell great brands

Master
    I have a 1/2" Elora socket set from around 1980 and a 1/4" Draper Professional set from the same era with both still going strong. The Elora stuff is really good and the Draper Professional from 1980ish was top notch too.
    More recently, 4 or 5 years ago, I also added the Halfords Advanced trays in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" when they had a 3 for 2 offer combined with a 20% discount. All 3 cost £60 odd in total (£42+£42-20%). I've also got a handful of the Halfords impact sockets from an eBay seller who obviously was buying the tray sets and splitting them.
    The combination of the Elora/Draper and Halfords gives me a comprehensive range of both 6 and 12 point sockets which can be important. Use 6 point where you can, particularly to start on a tight nut.
    Last edited by TomGW; 24th February 2021 at 22:09.

Craftsman
    2nd Elora, great make, ratchets and spanners

I generally use Koken.
    Japanese quality at its best.
    Not cheap, but miles less expensive than SnapOn.

Here's an example of what they produce....stupid money....but it's a lovely set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164348433...kcid=28&chn=ps

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You have pretty much named all the brands in my tool boxes lol