closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Sinn 556A Review

My Sinn 556A Review

This maybe Sinn's entry level watch but I think its stunning

https://youtu.be/yPJ2Zs0PPTE

My Sinn 556A Review

It’s often the pared down entry level watches that are the best - it’s definitely a cracking watch. No fuss tool watch with classic simple lines - a bit along the lines of an explorer.enjoy

Also you will find that usually the simpler designs are the ones that are the most versatile in terms of suiting a multitude of different straps. I can imagine that looking great on natos, erikas, leather, rubber, even perlon

Simple, clear and legible - a terrific all occasion watch.

I've got it as well, it doesn't have any technology to protect its surface, nothing fancy but...it just doesn't need it!

My perfect do it all tool watch, doesn't matter if I scratch it, it just serves its purpose perfectly!
    Going underwater? Sinn 556
    Going in the snow? Sinn 556
    Going in the mud? Sinn 556

You get it dirty you can just throw it in the water, it is legible in all conditions, never need to have a second thought, anything you throw at it, it survives!

The dial layout is amazing, coming from the cockpits clocks and too often just compared to the explorer as a rip off.

Any strap/bracelet looks good on it.

This watch is a keeper for me, and it still is somehow underrated!

Always thought these were a great watch however the date position on the 556a ruins it for me. Date at '3' as per the 556 or no date at all for me.

Honestly, on the 556a, the date window is so unobtrusive, you barely see it when you check the time in normal conditions. You see it when you want to check the date basically.
    But I understand certain people like symetry a lot!

I'm not sure about the date position either, would prefer it at 3. What is the bracelet taper like on these, does it go to 18mm or stay at 20mm all the way round?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    I'm not sure about the date position either, would prefer it at 3. What is the bracelet taper like on these, does it go to 18mm or stay at 20mm all the way round?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    That's a 20-18 taper for the bracelet, gives a nice sturdy vibe without being too wide and bulky like a 20-20.

I suggest when it is possible for people interested by the 556a/556i to try it on wrist rather than just looking at pictures on internet.
    Sometimes, it's only in real life you realize certain details are not that much of a problem when in normal conditions, and sometimes it's the other way around haha.

And a date window at 3 on the 556a would mean 12-6-9 instead of 12-3-6-9

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Always thought these were a great watch however the date position on the 556a ruins it for me. Date at '3' as per the 556 or no date at all for me.
    You could go for the one of the other 556 models which doesn't have the date ,

I personally prefer the 556A as sometimes its handy to have the date but not to the point of sacrificing the symmetry of the dial for it

Craftsman
    I've always been tempted by one of these but as others have said, the date puts me off a bit on this watch.
    I've got others with it in that location and don't mind it at all on them so maybe it would end up better in the flesh.

I think the biggest problem with this watch is its increasing price which is probable coming from the higher prices of ETA and sellita, and the brand recognition being better than a few years ago.
    But even with the price increase, I think it's worth to see it in the flesh if you can.
    Second hand that's definitely something considering imho

Craftsman
    I had a 556a rs for a few days over Xmas. I liked the watch but the date window seemed pointless to me. It’s kinda hard to see. I returned it as I felt it was a little small for my wrist. Great option if you want the explorer look

You've got the 856 of I'm not mistaking if you like the watch but want it a bit bigger, at 40mm diameter

I think it's one of Sinn's very best designs. I have the earlier 656, where they first produced that overall design, though beadblasted (am I right in thinking that the 556 models are brushed, or is that just some of them?), and it's just a perfect everyday watch. (Mine annoyingly needs a repair at the moment, plus it is overdue a service, so I haven't been able to wear it for a while.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    I’m subscribed so saw the video review Bazza, excellent review as always and great production level. You are a natural presenter! 👍

Craftsman
    It’s just a great watch. I’ve had mine for a few years now and don’t see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I think it's one of Sinn's very best designs. I have the earlier 656, where they first produced that overall design, though beadblasted (am I right in thinking that the 556 models are brushed, or is that just some of them?), and it's just a perfect everyday watch. (Mine annoyingly needs a repair at the moment, plus it is overdue a service, so I haven't been able to wear it for a while.)
    All brushed indeed for the 556

Loved the YouTube review. As you say Bazza don’t look for numbers. The size comparison against the Rolex was epic.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    I’m subscribed so saw the video review Bazza, excellent review as always and great production level. You are a natural presenter! 
    Cheers AIDM I told my wife you said, I'm a natural presenter she just laughed at me lol :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Loved the YouTube review. As you say Bazza don’t look for numbers. The size comparison against the Rolex was epic.

Thanks Sir I know many guys who won't even consider a watch under 40mm its a shame because they don't know what there missing out on

They are excellent watches. I have the 556i, my preference is towards that design as it’s a bit more understated. The proportions of it are spot on, it’s so legible, versatile, and a absolutely as tough as nails. People talk about something like an Aqua Terra as a ‘GADA’ watch - office to the beach to the forest and all that, but for me my 556 is my one watch that I’m really happy to wear with a shirt at work during the week and camping and biking etc at the weekends.

The H-link bracelet is really supple, but my biggest criticism of the watch would be the clasp. It’s now a £1200 watch but the clasp is £300 micro brand level. I think for Sinn to keep pushing up the price of the 556 they need to improve this element, slim it down and add in some tool free micro adjust, Chris Ward style (Trident clasp is twice as good for half the price).

That aside, I still think it’s the best watch you can buy for the money. Will check out your vid later mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    They are excellent watches. I have the 556i, my preference is towards that design as it’s a bit more understated. The proportions of it are spot on, it’s so legible, versatile, and a absolutely as tough as nails. People talk about something like an Aqua Terra as a ‘GADA’ watch - office to the beach to the forest and all that, but for me my 556 is my one watch that I’m really happy to wear with a shirt at work during the week and camping and biking etc at the weekends.

The H-link bracelet is really supple, but my biggest criticism of the watch would be the clasp. It’s now a £1200 watch but the clasp is £300 micro brand level. I think for Sinn to keep pushing up the price of the 556 they need to improve this element, slim it down and add in some tool free micro adjust, Chris Ward style (Trident clasp is twice as good for half the price).

That aside, I still think it’s the best watch you can buy for the money. Will check out your vid later mate.

Agree with you, although the only thing really bugging me about the clasp is the fact it has a few sharp edges.
    I think I like this clasp otherwise, because despite the fact it's quite basic, I find it balances well the watch on the wrist.

The ch ward clasp is quite good, but also bigger and heavier, which combined with the fairly light case of the 556, would probably make it wear a bit odd on the wrist I think

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Agree with you, although the only thing really bugging me about the clasp is the fact it has a few sharp edges.
    I think I like this clasp otherwise, because despite the fact it's quite basic, I find it balances well the watch on the wrist.

The ch ward clasp is quite good, but also bigger and heavier, which combined with the fairly light case of the 556, would probably make it wear a bit odd on the wrist I think
    Yeah the clasp is fine, it’s just I don’t think it’s of the same level of quality as the rest of the watch, or commensurate with the current price of the watch. I don’t mean identical to C Ward, I just mean taking their lead and upgrading it to something superior. A slimmer clasp with on the fly adjustment would be a great upgrade for this watch - there’s nothing else that needs changing. I had a £350 Zelos that had a far superior clasp to my 556.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Yeah the clasp is fine, it’s just I don’t think it’s of the same level of quality as the rest of the watch, or commensurate with the current price of the watch. I don’t mean identical to C Ward, I just mean taking their lead and upgrading it to something superior. A slimmer clasp with on the fly adjustment would be a great upgrade for this watch - there’s nothing else that needs changing. I had a £350 Zelos that had a far superior clasp to my 556.
    Totally get your point, fair enough.
    I've never been encountering a fairly light clasp with on the fly adjustment though.
    But yeah, the clasp feels a bit hollow compared to the rest

I've had my 656 since 2004, and it was second hand then, so the clasp design is 16+ years old. The last few years have seen a big change in the clasps available on smaller brands and microbrands, the 'on the fly' adjustment that is now relatively common just wasn't really a thing back then (with the odd exception I'm sure).
    Dave E

The 556 is a design classic - love the wonderful clarity and well-thought-out functionality, and I prefer the date where it is. All that said, I'm always puzzled why it's so much more popular than the 856 and 836 which have the same overall look but with larger sizes, better movements, anti-magnetic shielding and Tegimented cases. Sure, you pay for it, but new they're not vastly more expensive, and all the features are worth having and should help hte piece hold its value better.

I've had my 656 since 2004, and it was second hand then, so the clasp design is 16+ years old. The last few years have seen a big change in the clasps available on smaller brands and microbrands, the 'on the fly' adjustment that is now relatively common just wasn't really a thing back then (with the odd exception I'm sure).
    Yes, as it has been said, the clasp hasn't been updated in a while. It will be a problem for some, others won't mind that much.
    Many micro brands are offering very "advanced" clasps, but after I've been handling quite a few of them, I can say that it's nice on the paper, but quite often, the wearing experience is rubbish: clasp too heavy, clasp too thick, clasp too sharp, clasp too long, ...
    The highest specs doesn't mean the best product.
    That's what I am starting to figure out after years, and that's why I'm starting to actually enjoy old fashioned pressed clasps, like on uncle seiko bracelets, as they're light, balancing the watch well, full of micro adjustment, thin,... Even if on paper it sounds ghastly...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    The 556 is a design classic - love the wonderful clarity and well-thought-out functionality, and I prefer the date where it is. All that said, I'm always puzzled why it's so much more popular than the 856 and 836 which have the same overall look but with larger sizes, better movements, anti-magnetic shielding and Tegimented cases. Sure, you pay for it, but new they're not vastly more expensive, and all the features are worth having and should help hte piece hold its value better.
    I think the 556 series are doing better mainly because they're a bit cheaper

Also, the 38,5mm size is spot on for many

Thank-you for pointing-out blindingly-obvious things I'd already mentioned - you'll be on SC in no time at this rate

Wow, super encouraging to discuss with people like you. Sorry if I don't have 10000+ posts already and if I am daring to say something so obvious

I had to look up the 856 Tegimented. I see the dial is aesthetically the same but the case looks bead blasted or sanded.
    From a purely personal perspective I prefer the OP’s 556 case to the Tegimented case. Irrespective of size difference.

Thank-you for pointing-out blindingly-obvious things I'd already mentioned - you'll be on SC in no time at this rate
    Totally unnecessary response, have a word with yourself mate.

Yes, as it has been said, the clasp hasn't been updated in a while. It will be a problem for some, others won't mind that much.
    Many micro brands are offering very "advanced" clasps, but after I've been handling quite a few of them, I can say that it's nice on the paper, but quite often, the wearing experience is rubbish: clasp too heavy, clasp too thick, clasp too sharp, clasp too long, ...
    The highest specs doesn't mean the best product.
    That's what I am starting to figure out after years, and that's why I'm starting to actually enjoy old fashioned pressed clasps, like on uncle seiko bracelets, as they're light, balancing the watch well, full of micro adjustment, thin,... Even if on paper it sounds ghastly...
    I tend to agree, to be honest. The Sinn clasp is good quality and well made, it doesn't have much in the way of tricks up it's sleeve, but it doesn't really need to. A good quality, not just stamped, clasp is a perfectly good thing. A lot of the clasps with extra tricks end up being too bulky, and do you really need the functionality?
    Dave E

The size is a definite factor. With the dial design, it wears on the large side, so 38.5mm looks like a damned good size on most wrists.

The beadblasted finish on my 656 probably makes it look a bit more toolish, the brushed of the 556 is a bit more versatile in some ways. Mind you, my 656 does have the anti-magnetic rating, which I think enhances its appeal rather.
    Dave E

The 556 is an excellent very legible tool watch, I bought one, then flipped it so purchased another then flipped that many months later. Both of mine were the 556i model and I have made a bet with myself to bag the 556A sometime in the future.
    Great review BTW....

That looks very nice.
    It does look to me like the offspring of an Explorer and a fleiger (not in a bad way)
    Great review, have given it a like as I understand these things are important in the you tube world

Beautiful watch I owned and sold. Here is the thread with some nice pictures for those who are interested: Thema 'Sinn 556A Uhr ETA 2824-2 Werk von 2012 & Revision 2018 B&P' https://uhrforum.de/threads/sinn-556...18-b-p.446535/

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

The size is a definite factor. With the dial design, it wears on the large side, so 38.5mm looks like a damned good size on most wrists.

The beadblasted finish on my 656 probably makes it look a bit more toolish, the brushed of the 556 is a bit more versatile in some ways. Mind you, my 656 does have the anti-magnetic rating, which I think enhances its appeal rather.
    To be fair I'd fancy a bit more of antimagnetism on the 556, but I understand it's an entry level watch without any of these technical features.
    I would actually love an arktis 206, I find it absolutely impressive, but even if their case design is great, 17mm height and 43mm in diameter, that sounds chunky!
    If on the long run they adapt more of their technologies in slightly more compact cases though, I'll be the first to jump on it

Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    Beautiful watch I owned and sold. Here is the thread with some nice pictures for those who are interested: Thema 'Sinn 556A Uhr ETA 2824-2 Werk von 2012 & Revision 2018 B&P' https://uhrforum.de/threads/sinn-556...18-b-p.446535/

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Nice pictures!
    For an instant I wondered if they made the 556 with BGW9 lume, but I guess it's just the picture which is making it appear a but blueish

Journeyman
    I got my 556 on the Sinn fine-link bracelet specifically because i’d had enough of the clasp on my 104. It’s classy but obviously has no micro-adjust being a butterfly.

Craftsman
    I would like one of these one day most likely the A version as I like the 4 numerals on the dial over the batons all the way round.