closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hodinkee bought Crown & Caliber

Hodinkee bought Crown & Caliber

Started a thread about Hodinkee a while ago.

Now they (at least Hodinkee Shop) have become a full-on watch dealer (not just vintage watches), having just bought Crown and Caliber.

I assume this means no negative review will ever be published by them again? (unless they don't plan to sell those watches in their shop..)
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 18th February 2021 at 17:58.

Journeyman
    Have they ever published a negative review?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Have they ever published a negative review?
    Negative is stuff like "might be a bit big as it goes *thunk* into the desk...but it suits its 'sporty aspect of this whimsical piece'" or some other BS from the Pitchfork of watches.

For what it's worth, objective journalism is a legitimate style of writing. I much prefer a review that helps me make my own mind up, rather than being based on someone else's opinion.

I won’t read a word they write now without thinking there’s an angle in it for them. Gone off them big time.

Master
    Their entire angle is to sell products from their shop. It’s not journalism, just promotion. It makes you realise how great motor journalism actually is.

It makes forums like these ever more important in the watch world I suppose.

I do think they're consience of how this looks and the compromise of journalistic integrity (whatever that's worth..). But people will always think there is an angle - and they still need that side of the business to be popular, otherwise people won't look at their other services. They will evenutally have to spin off the editorial arm so they're truly independent.

Which one of H team is or ever has been an actual journalist? Template articles full of estate agents vocabulary...

Probably five years since I last visited that web site though. Maybe they’’ve improved.
    Last edited by Toshk; 18th February 2021 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Which one of H team is or ever has been an actual journalist? Template articles full of estate agents vocabulary...

Probably five years since I last visited that web site though. Maybe they’’ve improved.
    Hey lads, I found that optimist we heard about it...

Ben in 2013.

One thing we always have to clear up with people is that we’re not watch dealers. We don’t hold inventory. We don’t want to deal with that. We’re writers.
    And again I have no desire to sell watches or make watches
    http://blogs.reuters.com/small-busin...er-ben-clymer/

Then Kevin Rose gets involved two years later and they're selling travel clocks with missing bell covers for $5,900 and IWC watches with Sellita movements for $6,400. Now the Crown & Caliber acquisition while they call themselves "a proud authorized dealer of" 33 brands.

https://medium.com/@kevinrose/hodink...s-131f556f2d42

I'm sure Ben has laughed all the way to the bank but Hodinkee lost their way a long time ago and are in my opinion beyond the point of no return. One big neverending advertorial.

Journeyman
    I stopped being interested in Kerchinkee about 2 years ago. Jack still writes interesting articles with intelligent depth. But those awful radio programmes - Ye gods!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    I stopped being interested in Kerchinkee about 2 years ago. Jack still writes interesting articles with intelligent depth. But those awful radio programmes - Ye gods!!

I’ve subscribed to the radio show for a while now and feel it’s time to call it a day.

Mr Pulvirent’s nasal whine and ‘I totally agree’ and ‘THATS AWESOME !’ responses are beginning to grate now. That and a general lack of consistently interesting content might see the unsubscibe button furiously fingered