closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cigars

Apprentice

Cigars

After some recommendations please.... I like to smoke a few cigars, and Partagas are my usual go-to, that said, they are not the cheapest, especially where having to buy in the UK.
    Anyone have an alternative to suggest I try?

Thanks

Hi House
    Obviously i like a Panatella 😄

But these are a lovely Smoke and highly recommended
    https://www.simplycigars.co.uk/villi...ack-p-720.html

Cheers

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi House
    Obviously i like a Panatella 

But these are a lovely Smoke and highly recommended
    https://www.simplycigars.co.uk/villi...ack-p-720.html

Cheers
    Ha ha ! of course....Thanks, will take a look.

Master
    You have good taste just had a Partagas Serie D No. 4 very nice smoke bought from here

https://www.egmcigars.com/

arrived here in the states from Switzerland in about a week. Had a Hoyo too very nice!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    You have good taste just had a Partagas Serie D No. 4 very nice smoke bought from here

arrived here in the states from Switzerland in about a week. Had a Hoyo too very nice!
    thanks, It's a good point...why should I change!?

Master
    I don't think I've seen anyone smoke a cigar in over 20 years!

My Dad used to smoke them when he was trying to give up the fags

Never worked, not sure why

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone smoke a cigar in over 20 years!

My Dad used to smoke them when he was trying to give up the fags

Never worked, not sure why
    We hide in the shadows.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    After some recommendations please.... I like to smoke a few cigars, and Partagas are my usual go-to, that said, they are not the cheapest, especially where having to buy in the UK.
    Anyone have an alternative to suggest I try?

Thanks
    Cigar prices in the UK are crazy, you need to fill your boots when we are allowed to fly again. Cheapest places are Spain, Andora, Germany, Switzerland, Dubai Airport and of course Cuba.

Several places in Germany sell to the UK but you can get hit with customs fees, although this still works out cheaper than UK prices. They will sell you singles and boxes. Reddit is your friend.

A few to try which are my faves:
    Hoyo - Epicure No2
    Hoyo - Epicure de Luxe
    Hoyo - Half Corona
    H.Upmann - Magnum 54
    H.Upmann - Magnum 50
    H.Upmann - Upmann Half Corona
    San Cristobal - Prado LCDH
    El Ray Del Munro - Choix Supreme
    Punch - Punch

All of these are 45minute / 1hr smokes with the exception of the Half Coronas.

If you do look to mail-order from Germany then stick them in your humidor for two-weeks before you smoke.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Cigar prices in the UK are crazy, you need to fill your boots when we are allowed to fly again. Cheapest places are Spain, Andora, Germany, Switzerland, Dubai Airport and of course Cuba.

Several places in Germany sell to the UK but you can get hit with customs fees, although this still works out cheaper than UK prices. They will sell you singles and boxes. Reddit is your friend.

Hoyo - Epicure No2
    Hoyo - Epicure de Luxe
    Hoyo - Half Corona
    H.Upmann - Magnum 54
    H.Upmann - Magnum 50
    Punch - Punch

If you do look to mail-order from Germany then stick them in your humidor for two-weeks before you smoke.
    Ah yes that's really the essence of the request, I used to be travelling quite a lot and could always pick up, so now its UK buying, could I find an alternative?
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post

These and R&J No2 are my 'go to'. I like an R&J Short Churchill too. I am far from an aficianado though.

I usually restock 20-30 cigars when I go abroad, that last me a year easy. They are about half the UK price in Crete and Spain. I very seldom buy any in the UK.

I rarely smoke cigars nowadays but when I do I like to take my time and almost make an event of it so I still have a few of these in my humidor:

R&J Wide Churchill’s for when I’m out....

https://www.havanahouse.co.uk/produc...-cigar-single/

Cohiba Siglo VI for when I’m home....

https://www.havanahouse.co.uk/produc...-cigar-single/

I usually buy from that website too as whenever I’ve had an issue their customer service has been excellent and I usually buy in 10’s or more as the savings can be considerable.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Hoyo - Epicure No2
    Hoyo - Epicure de Luxe
    Hoyo - Half Corona
    H.Upmann - Magnum 54
    H.Upmann - Magnum 50
    Punch - Punch

I’m partial to a nice smoke on occasion - Partegas Serie D #4 has been my go to for several years. What’s the sketch with buying from Switzerland? Would import taxes still be applicable? I’ll go off and have a google search in the meantime. Having looked, the prices are significantly less than U.K. retailers.

Master
    Well I have been enjoying a Henri Wintermans half Corona every evening this past week or two.
    Quite honestly, it's as good a smoke as a Monte Cristo no.2.
    And I'm being serious; lovely smoke.
    I also enjoy a bottle of Blossom Hill' as well. Perhaps my taste-buds are skewed.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I think Switzerland, with the taxes, is a good way forward.

I agree re

hoyo epicure 2
    H uppman magnum 54

Also would add Trinidad viegia

I've probably got the spellings wrong but your cigar merchant will know what I'm talking about.

These are my three go to cigars

I had a behike 56 back in 2011 I think when I was a guest of the owner of No 10 Manchester Street. What an incredible smoke. Wow

Craftsman
    The smoking Lounge out back in no10 is very nice. But not a patch on the place in wadour street where you could buy a reasonable priced smoke and sit an hour so on am evening. £30 minimum spend at the no10 bar to sit and smoke a cigar, although they do have some very nice whiskey.

Whiskey and cigar GTG when things go back to normal anyone ?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I lived in the UK but as the guys have mentioned the best bet is to buy overseas online, another option is an Instagrammer called DutchCigars, he owns an official La casa del habano in Maastricht, (an official store endorsed by Habana so only can sell real cigars) his prices are pretty good but obviously factor in tax and he ships worldwide.

Partagas is normally stronger side of cigars and so the other brands that have similar profile is Bolivar, a good one to try is Bolivar Royal corona or Bolivar belicoso fino.

Partagas try D4, E2, Lusitania, D5, D6

Upmanns are pretty smooth and milder

Cohiba and Trinidads are the more expensive lines

2019 stock has been smoking amazing and my best value cigar has been the RYJ Wide Churchill.

Its a slippery slope but an amazing one to go down

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    It's been a while since I lived in the UK but as the guys have mentioned the best bet is to buy overseas online, another option is an Instagrammer called DutchCigars, he owns an official La casa del habano in Maastricht, (an official store endorsed by Habana so only can sell real cigars) his prices are pretty good but obviously factor in tax and he ships worldwide.

Partagas is normally stronger side of cigars and so the other brands that have similar profile is Bolivar, a good one to try is Bolivar Royal corona or Bolivar belicoso fino.

Partagas try D4, E2, Lusitania, D5, D6

Upmanns are pretty smooth and milder

Cohiba and Trinidads are the more expensive lines

2019 stock has been smoking amazing and my best value cigar has been the RYJ Wide Churchill.

Its a slippery slope but an amazing one to go down
    Thanks for the reply/info

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    The smoking Lounge out back in no10 is very nice. But not a patch on the place in wadour street where you could buy a reasonable priced smoke and sit an hour so on am evening. £30 minimum spend at the no10 bar to sit and smoke a cigar, although they do have some very nice whiskey.

I had one of my best nights in London at the Soho Whisky club, Siglo 6 and tasted so many different whiskeys that are not normally available by the shot, where I live anyway.

Ive missed my trips to London over the last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post

I had one of my best nights in London at the Soho Whisky club, Siglo 6 and tasted so many different whiskeys that are not normally available by the shot, where I live anyway.

Ive missed my trips to London over the last year.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Just done an audit of my smokes, far more than I remember having & cash tied up in burnables.

Partagas D No.4, Hoyo No.2, Cohiba Madura 5 Magicos, Esplendidos & Robustos, Monte No.2, and some RnJ & others, all Robusto sizes.

Ordered some new humidifying pucks, went Xikar this time as RH beads seemed impossible to get unless I want 500g of them for 2 humidors.

Was very alarmed to realise I have the price of a Tudor tied up in them, need to smoke them more - cannot recall my last one. Luckily all purchased in Cuba not here, so much cheaper.

Hoping to meet up with friends once we can and partake once again together.

Have about the same tied up in them myself. I have always found that cat litter is great for maintaining the correct humidity in my humidors! Much better than any of those pucks. Plus it is cheap and cheerful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Well the humidor is currently empty as all smoked, as I wait for my delivery, so look forward to trying a few different.