closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bike Thieves

Master

Bike Thieves

In the past three weeks I've had to confront and chase off youths on mopeds in the earlier hours of the morning 2-3.30am.

I have to keep my bike on my driveway, its covered and was ground anchored. In hindsight the chain wasn't the best, it was a cheap Oxford armoured coil job. My dog woke me up and two hooded youths had cut through the chain and were about to take my bike which was only purchased in December. Fortunately there was no damage done to the bike. I chased them down the road and the next day ordered an Almax 20kg 22mm thick chain and two disk locks. I doubt they'd bother again.

2 weeks later I was woken up my a moped at 2am, looked out the window and saw two youths one with a sledgehammer, the other was using an angle grinder on a scooter which is parked outside of a small block flats close to my home. I grabbed my heavy 6d maglite torch and went after them. They ran but were a bit more confrontational and beeped their horn / shouted abuse which I didnt understand why they would want to draw attention to themselves.

Both times called 101. They took the details but no patrols are out which in lockdown why would anyone be two ups on a moped in the early hours of the morning? Its annoying more than anything. Only takes a few searches on FB to know who the likely suspects are and which estates they live on.

Ive spoken to my neighbours and if it happens again will be better prepared but its just an annoyance that these little sh1ts are so active. Sorry had to vent!
    Last edited by Skool; 18th February 2021 at 15:24.

Disgusting. The exact reason I had an anchor, Almax, 2x abus disk locks, alarm, immobilizer, and tracker.

So frustrating and they'll keep coming back.

I would order an Almax or Pragmasis or two asap. I had my Almax on SC but the guy who said he'll take it hasn't messaged me back yet, typical!

Master
    Teeth-grinding yes. I must say I would be calling 999 if I'd literally just chased someone off, so that they can look at cctv, call a car in the area etc.

Claymore. You know it makes sense.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes deffo would call 999. Hopefully a cop car would locate them and ram them off the scooter. Or have they stopped doing that now?

They really do need to clamp down hard on this. It seems to be a real MO of a lot of criminals these days.
    It's just a matter of time...

Buy a 3000+ Lumens flashlight with blinding mode and also a video camera.

Run after them with that, they wont be able to see you or he camera due to the flashlight.

Hopefully you get some evidence on video, number plates, clothes etc.

Modern high power flashlights with those blinding modes will get banned sooner or later, they are that good

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Buy a 3000+ Lumens flashlight with blinding mode
    Do you have a link to such an item?

Buy a 3000+ Lumens flashlight with blinding mode ..................
    Hhhmmmm.....never heard of such a thing. Have you an example? Sounds like a reasonable idea.

Blog Entries

Run after them with that, they wont be able to see you or he camera due to the flashlight.

Modern high power flashlights with those blinding modes will get banned sooner or later, they are that good
    Is this the type of thing?
    https://www.taclight.co.uk/collectio...#collapse-tab1
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Do you have a link to such an item?
    https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/fenix-...led-torch.html

They can be had cheaper than this

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    yes something like that, they call it strobe mode but on many of the tactical flashlight the strobe mode is clearly designed to be blinding

Could try an alarm mine with trip wire, they will probably let out a little bit of poo if this goes off close to them!

Bisley Alarm Mine 12g 12 Gauge Security Burglars Intruders Galvanized Steel Trip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049ACM...6M4E4PJZW3TB94

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Could try an alarm mine with trip wire, they will probably let out a little bit of poo if this goes off close to them!

Bisley Alarm Mine 12g 12 Gauge Security Burglars Intruders Galvanized Steel Trip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049ACM...6M4E4PJZW3TB94
    I love the answer to the questions on this item

Yes they are Uk legal otherwise we could not sell them

Yes you would IDEALLY need blanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Yes deffo would call 999. Hopefully a cop car would locate them and ram them off the scooter. Or have they stopped doing that now?
    Sadly theres no sign of police at night. Southampton Police even posted last month about not pursuing thieves.

https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...not-be-pursued

It's up to small neighbourhood patrols to walk around estates which have stopped during lockdown and bikers coming together patrolling the streets. However that hasn't always ended up well either

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/172...king-off-bike/

Whats most annoying is hearing at night stolen bikes being ragged around, more upsetting if you know its your bike. I dont even live in a rough, crime riddled area either. Looks like the scum during lockdown are just widening their net.
    Last edited by Skool; 18th February 2021 at 17:23.

Master
    Thanks, may well get something like this. The heavy 6d Maglite I've got isn't a great torch but thats not really its intended purpose......

Craftsman
    I would second calling 999, crime in progress.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Thanks, may well get something like this. The heavy 6d Maglite I've got isn't a great torch but thats not really its intended purpose......
    Yup it is some unit that’s for sure!

I’ve only got a small led torch with strobe and even that is blinding. God only knows what a huge one can do.

Feel for you, I have outside cameras up & clearly visible, yet see people peering into the cars overnight, don’t seem to care about the light going off either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"One of them pointed a handgun at me"

Blog Entries
    yes something like that, they call it strobe mode but on many of the tactical flashlight the strobe mode is clearly designed to be blinding
    yes they can,
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/42...Diana-s-driver

You can make it a much better torch by dropping a LED in it. You do not lose the other functionality
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You can make it a much better torch by dropping a LED in it. You do not lose the other functionality

Fantastic. Just ordered, thanks for the recommendation.

Craftsman
    Deleted as it was unnecessarily blunt.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 20th February 2021 at 00:14.

And already out of stock.

Perhaps there are a lot of 6-cell maglite owners here.

Perhaps we need some maglite collection photos. I think I have 5 or 6 - 1x6D, 2x3D, 3xAA and I disposed of a AAA that had had a severe leak last week

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    999 call:

OP - hello police, someone is trying to steal my moped right now
    Police - sorry we don’t have any units in the area
    OP - don’t worry I’ve just shot and killed him

1min later, police at the scene

Police - where issue body? I thought you said you’d shot him
    OP - I thought YOU said there was no units close by

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sadly theres no sign of police at night. Southampton Police even posted last month about not pursuing thieves.

https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...not-be-pursued
    There's just no words.

Why not also live stream the chase to Facebook (or other social media of choice)?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In which case the local police won't attend and you'll have a very long wait while the police find an armed response crew to respond.

Master
    Our car was taken off our 'drive' (aka bit of tarmac at front of house) this week. Cops were here in 20 mins, probably because I have a lot of firearms and they would be very interested if I had been waving a gun around in the street or been in armed pursuit. I did actually chase them in our other car until I lost them and the red mist died down. The whole thing was recorded on my Ring and we also have cctv because of the guns so we've got that as well. The footage is all over facebook now.
    The perpetrators used a device to detect the signal from the keycard (keyless entry). Please don't tell me what I should have done as I've been overloaded with well-meaning advice. Keys for the other one are now in a faraday bag kindly provided by the cops and we have a wheel clamp as these thick smelly foul subhumans have a tendency to revisit the scene.
    My lovely car is now being used to commit other similar crimes in the West midlands as we have received footage from people who seen the clips on fb.
    So the police have plenty of evidence even reg numbers, descriptions of perps and vehicles but now they are doing f### all to stop this wave of car crime that seems to have sprung up lately in the area. It's the Wild West Midlands but we've got no way of fighting back. If I had managed to catch them and used my car as a weapon I would be either incarcerated or on bail now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    999 call:

OP - hello police, someone is trying to steal my moped right now
    Police - sorry we don’t have any units in the area
    OP - don’t worry I’ve just shot and killed him

1min later, police at the scene

Police - where issue body? I thought you said you’d shot him
    OP - I thought YOU said there was no units close by

Just tell then you think they were two people from different households not socially distancing.. Bizarrely, there seem to be unlimited police numbers for that sort of thing!

Seriously, the reason that crimes like that suffered by the OP are so prevalent is that there is minimal chance of the criminals getting caught and less chance of a deterrent sentence if they did.

I did this some years ago when I saw them available in a US outdoor store. It makes it a far better torch but, as has been mentioned, that isn't its main purpose. Mine lives under the bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Our car was taken off our 'drive' (aka bit of tarmac at front of house) this week. Cops were here in 20 mins, probably because I have a lot of firearms and they would be very interested if I had been waving a gun around in the street or been in armed pursuit. I did actually chase them in our other car until I lost them and the red mist died down. The whole thing was recorded on my Ring and we also have cctv because of the guns so we've got that as well. The footage is all over facebook now.
    The perpetrators used a device to detect the signal from the keycard (keyless entry). Please don't tell me what I should have done as I've been overloaded with well-meaning advice. Keys for the other one are now in a faraday bag kindly provided by the cops and we have a wheel clamp as these thick smelly foul subhumans have a tendency to revisit the scene.
    My lovely car is now being used to commit other similar crimes in the West midlands as we have received footage from people who seen the clips on fb.
    So the police have plenty of evidence even reg numbers, descriptions of perps and vehicles but now they are doing f### all to stop this wave of car crime that seems to have sprung up lately in the area. It's the Wild West Midlands but we've got no way of fighting back. If I had managed to catch them and used my car as a weapon I would be either incarcerated or on bail now.
    Bad luck!
    It would be all too tempting to do some damage, but it would really need to be done covertly.

Craftsman

Bike Thieves

Thanks for the recommendation, will pick one up when they are back in stock.

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike Thieves

Most streets near me are full of drive posts now to protect the cars, if you have anything on two wheels it needs to be garaged or it will be gone. Every shop has steel stutters and ramraid posts, none had this when I was young. I once caught a couple of masked members of the criminal community climbing through a neighbours front window in broad daylight. Kids can’t go in the local parks without being robbed by knife carrying gangs, my nephew just managed to escape last week. Local Police Stations have all been closed and it’s on the verge of lawlessness ( Stockport ).
    Last edited by Lammylee; 21st February 2021 at 10:03.

Master
    The Klarus XT21X high powered LED torch arrived yesterday which was recommended. I wouldn't want to be looking at 4000 of strobing lumens, it would be very disorienting and unpleasant..... Just seen more FB posts of cars being rifled through. It seems to be more and more previalnt lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Most streets near me are full of drive posts now to protect the cars, if you have anything on two wheels it needs to be garaged or it will be gone. Every shop has steel stutters and ramraid posts, none had this when I was young. I once caught a couple of masked members of the criminal community climbing through a neighbours front window in broad daylight. Kids can’t go in the local parks without being robbed by knife carrying gangs, my nephew just managed to escape last week. Local Police Stations have all been closed and it’s on the verge of lawlessness ( Stockport ).
    That's not nice to hear: I spent some of my formative years in Stockport (Heaton Chapel, I believe) and it seemed such a nice area...but that was 50+ years ago!

Reassuringly Derbyshire Police have drone units and special patrols to pollute local beauty spots.

That keeps the lockdown breakers in check.

Useless if you get burgled or some scrote tries to steal your car.