closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DIY Hand Print - Plaster of Paris

Master

DIY Hand Print - Plaster of Paris

Hi folks; everyone having a good day so far?

Any thoughts on how to go about preserving a hand print (and paw print!) in a way that could be kept forever and ideally perhaps displayed?

I’m happy going full DIY and making a box frame and using whatever material is recommended (plaster of Paris / cement??? / Other ).

Can anyone offer any guidance / experience / suggestions?

What materials would be good?

Master
    Has no-one done this? I thought we'd have loads of inventive folks here who would know how to do it!

some friends did it...

firstly it's not as easy as you think

if you just want a print, that easy- paint, the challenge is if you want a 3d recreation of the hand or feet, the problem is the hand and feet are bigger then the wrist/ankle

so you use something that casts but sets permanently without getting hotter then 45 degrees, sets quickly as little people have difficulty keeping still, is then flexible enough to get out the mould, is fine enough to get the detail and then once set is stable enough to make a cast out of whatever you want

some friends used some dental casting material formed a container in two halves, the top surface dusted with powder

then baby fist, pushed down, other half pushed from other side then two halves pulled apart, and locating dowels put in

wait for it to harden, then put the two halves together and you can cast in plaster of paris

We paid to have this done for both our children when they were babies. The results were far better than we could have achieved ourselves. The imprints were done in clay, were glazed, fired and framed.