closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaguar XK8 owners?

Master

Jaguar XK8 owners?

Evening all.
    It's getting close to trade-up time again, I'm on the fence over a few models but I've always fancied an XK8 and I might just take the plunge before I hit 40 and my family worry that I'm having a mid-life crisis!

Any owners on here? Any pitfalls of ownership or things to look for, other than the obvious Jaguar ones (rust, rust, peeling paint, rust)...

I gather the 4.2 is the one to buy rather than the original 4.0, that's about as much as I've got!

Other options are a Boxster or a TT but they feel a bit done to death (no offence, anyone).
    The other "wildcard" is a Ford Mondeo 220ST which I know are supercar quick, but all seem to be mega high mileage!

It doesn't have to be perfect, I generally buy a car, run for a year then trade up... I am currently in a 2003 X-Type 2.1 petrol which I love, but it doesn't have much poke. I'd consider a 3.0 newer model but my heart keeps pushing me down the XK8 road.
    The Xtype is still just shy of 50k miles, I think I'll be looking to swap in when it hits that milestone so before summer probably.

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Master
    Not the XK but i have the X350 Super V8 with the 4.2. Very friendly and informed community @Jaguarforum.com.

I highly recommend the XK8/XKR Enthusiasts Club https://www.thexkec.co.uk to anyone who owns or is considering owning one. Their member's forum is an excellent source of information and advice on the marque, the membership fee paid for itself many times over for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Was just about to suggest 'Ralphy' as your best bet, but he's beaten me to it...
    Last edited by number2; 18th February 2021 at 09:55.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Try one for size if you haven't as it doesn't suit the taller driver in my experience. I worked for JLR and had use of an XKR but rarely took it away because of the driving position and cabin space being so cramped

Master
    Don’t even think about the Mondeo, they weren’t even that fast when new.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Try one for size if you haven't as it doesn't suit the taller driver in my experience. I worked for JLR and had use of an XKR but rarely took it away because of the driving position and cabin space being so cramped
    I almost read that as you rarely took away because you was worried about it breaking down 😳

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Don’t even think about the Mondeo, they weren’t even that fast when new.
    I was perplexed by the 220ST comment also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I see a lot of XK's in the workshop. And they're a large part of my daily bread and butter... When things go bad - and they do - it will go bad in a spectacular way!

Just last month we had an XK8 in the house for an engine-and-box out session: the was a nasty 'knock' in the engine. Big-end failure. The customer is looking at a ± 9K bill @ 65 euro/hr ex VAT. Repairing the engine itself is pocket money compared with the hours of dismantling, repairing the big end and other items the machine shop found (outsourced job), reassembling (in-house) re-installing the engine. On the other hand, some cars are capable of interstellar milage without problems. It's a lottery.

Not saying you'll be cheaper off with a TT or Boxster, but you asked about the XK...

I looked and looked at XK8s, best looking car you can buy for < £20k, but ultimately I just thought it's a Jaguar and bought a Cayman instead. Every time I have to pay out for something on the Cayman, which has probably cost me £4k in 3 years I think about how much more the Jag would have been. Absolutely love driving the Cayman. The Boxster is probably more fun. Jag a different kettle of fish.

I had a 2003 xkr that I adored

Did 11k miles in it over two years and it only let me down twice, both times were battery related and indirectly my fault

Lovely cars but they do rust and they drive like I expected a jag to drive - fairly soft but utterly comfortable. Jeremy Clarkson described driving one as similar to skiing on powder.

I personally prefer the coupe to the vert as they look more purposeful

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

A friend of mine had an XKR for a while.

Lovely example, but he didn't keep it very long, I think he found it a bit too much to use on a regular basis.

Was demonically fast though!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?