closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Fujifilm camera. Which one?

Master

My first Fujifilm camera. Which one?

Ok so I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I have a decision, a nice one at that, to make.

I have a Nikon D7500 I bought a year ago with 5 nice lenses that cover most of everything. I love that DSLR and I'll keep that setup ;). I'll buy the Fuji for street, travel and general shooting fun ��. I don't shoot video, only photos. I love landscapes, street and macro most.

I have decided that my first Fuji will be an X-T ��. I'm really torn between the X-T3 & X-T4, when you also consider the small price difference. I know the X-T4 has a longer lasting battery, but the X-T3 comes with a flash, which I can use to optically trigger my Nikon flashes (off camera) and I don't need IBIS. In fact I feel it is something less that can go wrong with the camera in the long term. I intend to keep this camera for many years.

I can't seem to decide between one of the 3 options below. Which do you suggest and why? I have included the price I was offered by AD. Thanks for the advice!

X-T3 + 18-55mm f/2.8-4 - 1300 Euros
    X-T3 + 16-80mm f/4 WR - 1600 Euros
    X-T4 + 16-80mm f/4 WR - 1900 Euros
    Last edited by buddy13; 17th February 2021 at 22:23.

Craftsman
    I’ve got an X-T20 so I won’t pretend to advise between the X-T3 & 4. What I can tell you is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 18-55 lens. It’s quality belies the description of a ‘kit’ lens.

X-T4

It has IBIS and that is a big deal.

AKA in body image stabilization.

Also i would avoid F4 lenses and try to get F2.8 or prime lenses.

Myself i would go for a used X-H1 and used 16-55 F2.8. ( i used to own them both )

Master
    I can't comment on the two bodies you suggested as I'm still using my X-Pro 1 but I've found I get a much more satisfying shooting experience using wide prime lenses than zooms. I have two primes, one that gives 35mm equivalent (for street and general use) and one that gives 50mm equivalent for portrait. I almost always just end up with the 35mm equivalent. (sorry can't remember exact mm of the lenses).

Master
    Don’t forget about the X-S10.

99% of the feature of the X-T4 and much cheaper.

Have a look a tobydeals.co.uk for some good pricing of all the Fuji range

Given your usage, and the fact that you're keeping your DSLR kit I'd got for the new xe-4 with the 27mm pancake to start. Small, will be fun to use and very different feel from an SLR. When I used Fuji I found the 27mm really good, and a lovely walk around focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    X-T4

It has IBIS and that is a big deal.

AKA in body image stabilization.

Also i would avoid F4 lenses and try to get F2.8 or prime lenses.

Myself i would go for a used X-H1 and used 16-55 F2.8. ( i used to own them both )
    I’ve the 16-55 F2.8 on an X-T3 and whilst a great lens it’s quite bulky and probably not ideal for OP’s intended use.

Craftsman
    Also check out the Fuji refurbished site - official refurbs from the manufacturer with full warranty. I've had a couple of cameras and they were basically new - I assume customer returns but the savings can be better than anywhere - £300 on an X100v for instance and they do clearances on older items. They also occasionally have voucher codes for an additional 5%-10% off.

Given the OP’s stated use I would have thought an X-T30 (or is the 40 out now?) body would be a better option as smaller (and cheaper) than the X-T? bodies.

Add the XF 18-55 and the 27mm prime lenses and I think all bases would be covered except macro.

Full disclosure - I have an X-T30 with both those lenses plus the 55-200XF.

Actually my main tip is make sure you get XF rather than XC (consumer) grade lenses.

Master
    You can more or less see the X-T3 as the more photography centric camera and the X-T4 as the video centric. The actual sensor and processor is the same in either case. The back screen flip mechanism on either is also better for either purpose. People tend to prefer the X-T3 in line flip for photography with the flip to the side of the X-T4 for video so you can see yourself. If you are not interested in video then saving money to get the X-T3 makes the most sense.

For street you probably want the small primes and potentially the bodies like the X-T20 or 30 or even the X100 series. Or the rangefinder X-Pro which are probably more street oriented.

Master
    Thanks for all your replies. With time, I certainly plan to invest in a few good primes, like the 90mm F/2, the 16mm f/1.4 and the 23mm F/2 :).

Having said that, a basic, walkaround medium/fast zoom lens is a requirement for me, for whenever I want to take just one lens on a hike or something :).

Why not settle in the middle, sell the Nikon and buy a full frame mirror less system like the Sony A7?

X-T3 if you're into photography, X-T4 for video.

The 18-55 is a fantastic lens, not your usual cheap and cheerful 'kit lens', this one is a great optic and the OIS is excellent if you need it, paired with the T3 it's superb. But then, Fujifilm don't make a bad optic.

I shoot an X-20, X-Pro1 and X-T3 and all are excellent tools. Lens choice is first class, my favourites being the 14mm, 27mm pancake, 35mm f1.4 and the 100-300mm zoom, though my other Fujinon lenses aren't far behind, the 18-55 being a great travel lens, the 18mm has a character all of it's own, the 60mm being tack sharp and the 55-200 being light sharp and portable. If I had to pick just one though it would be the 27mm pancake - it's an absolute jewel of a lens.

Good luck in your choices, you won't be disappointed.

I can also recommend https://www.fujix-forum.com/ as a VERY useful source of information.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

I can also recommend https://www.fujix-forum.com/ as a VERY useful source of information.
    Quite agree. Very good forum with lots of useful stuff. Very supportive and friendly membership. No politics allowed.

This forum could take lessons....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Why not settle in the middle, sell the Nikon and buy a full frame mirror less system like the Sony A7?
    I have no intention of selling my crop body, which gives me great reach with a 'cheap' 70-300mm f/5.6 lens. I also like the old school feel of a DSLR.

I also like the increased DOF in Macro from the smaller sensor.

Sony makes incredible cameras, but I just cannot take a liking to them. They feel small in the hand and too digital for my liking. I want to enjoy taking photos :)

Master
    X-T3 if you're into photography, X-T4 for video.

The 18-55 is a fantastic lens, not your usual cheap and cheerful 'kit lens', this one is a great optic and the OIS is excellent if you need it, paired with the T3 it's superb. But then, Fujifilm don't make a bad optic.

I shoot an X-20, X-Pro1 and X-T3 and all are excellent tools. Lens choice is first class, my favourites being the 14mm, 27mm pancake, 35mm f1.4 and the 100-300mm zoom, though my other Fujinon lenses aren't far behind, the 18-55 being a great travel lens, the 18mm has a character all of it's own, the 60mm being tack sharp and the 55-200 being light sharp and portable. If I had to pick just one though it would be the 27mm pancake - it's an absolute jewel of a lens.

Good luck in your choices, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reply. Hearing first hand experience always helps :). What 100-300mm zoom are you using? I don't believe Fuji makes one.

The 27mm pancake makes a lot of sense on the 'small' (relative to DSLR) X-T3 body.

I don't like very small cameras in my hand. I also appreciate a Weather Resist and nice Magnesium Alloy body :). I don't only buy a camera just to make photos. It must give me a nice feeling when using it.

You do realise that the XT3/4 are relatively small cameras compared with your D500 and no bigger than the Sony A7 series (apart from the A7C)? It's fine if you don't like the ergonomics of the Sonys but if you like big cameras and really want a Fuji then you'd be better off going with the X-Pro line.

How do you define wanting to 'enjoy taking photos' and how is using a XT3/4 going to achieve this compared with your D500?

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    I have no intention of selling my crop body, which gives me great reach with a 'cheap' 70-300mm f/5.6 lens. I also like the old school feel of a DSLR.

I also like the increased DOF in Macro from the smaller sensor.

Sony makes incredible cameras, but I just cannot take a liking to them. They feel small in the hand and too digital for my liking. I want to enjoy taking photos :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    You do realise that the XT3/4 are relatively small cameras compared with your D500 and no bigger than the Sony A7 series (apart from the A7C)? It's fine if you don't like the ergonomics of the Sonys but if you like big cameras and really want a Fuji then you'd be better off going with the X-Pro line.

How do you define wanting to 'enjoy taking photos' and how is using a XT3/4 going to achieve this compared with your D500?
    The X-Pros aren't really bigger. The X-Pro 3 is lightly wider maybe but the X-T4 is taller, much deeper and heavier.

Master
    You can always add a Small Rig type frame to a camera to make the ergos better. I have one on my X-t3. But it does make it heavier and a bit bigger so I take it on or off as required. It does make tripod use easier

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Thanks for reply. Hearing first hand experience always helps :). What 100-300mm zoom are you using? I don't believe Fuji makes one.

The 27mm pancake makes a lot of sense on the 'small' (relative to DSLR) X-T3 body.

I don't like very small cameras in my hand. I also appreciate a Weather Resist and nice Magnesium Alloy body :). I don't only buy a camera just to make photos. It must give me a nice feeling when using it.
    Apologies, I hit the wrong key, 3 instead of 4), and didn't check my post. It's the Fujifilm 100 - 400mm 4.5 - 5.6 R LM OS WR. I couple it with my Fiji 1.4X TC WR Teleconverter, (which reduces the max aperture at full zoom to f8 - which is perfectly useable hand held and gives superb reach). It's a superb optic, the OIS is excellent and the optics are first class.

A few people have complained about the 27mm not having an aperture ring and Fuji have just released a new version with one, but the original 27 is soooooo good I've absolutely no intention of changing it; the absence of an aperture ring is inconsequential to me given the results it produces.

I first got 'into' Fujifilm with an S5-Pro - basically a Nikon D200 body with a Fuji sensor and using Nikon glass. The dynamic range of that sensor was superb, way above anything Cannon or Nikon produced. I bought a Fuji X-10 as a pocket-able accompaniment to it and was further impressed with the results. Foolishly, I 'upgraded' the X-10 when the X-20 came out and Fuji were offering a great trade in; but the results, excellent though they are didn't have the DR of the X-10 in EXR mode, which I miss to this day!

I bought the X-Pro 1 as I was hooked on the style of the X-10/X-20 - took me back to my early photographic days and rangefinder cameras. The 27mm is almost permanently glued to that camera, the combination is superb and so pocket-able it almost, but not quite, replaces my X-20.

It took me a long time to be persuaded to look at the XT range, the Pro-1 is something special - ask anyone who has one, but in the end I bought the X-T3, (I traded the S5-Pro and a bunch of Nikkors to get it), and I'm glad I did. Is it better than the Pro-1? In some respects yes, in some respects no. Images are sharper and have more detail, but they don't have the film like images of the X-20 or, especially, the Pro-1; it's much better for sports, action and other moving objects like birds: then again, the Pro-1 is better for portraits and street photography, as indeed is the little X-20. So there's room for all three in my bag.

Fuji glass certainly produces different images to either Nikon, Cannon or Sony etc - here's a link to a series I took with the little X-20 to give you some idea of the quality you'll get from a small sensor Fuji camera....

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/...-part-1.63304/
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Apologies, I hit the wrong key, 3 instead of 4), and didn't check my post. It's the Fujifilm 100 - 400mm 4.5 - 5.6 R LM OS WR. I couple it with my Fiji 1.4X TC WR Teleconverter, (which reduces the max aperture at full zoom to f8 - which is perfectly useable hand held and gives superb reach). It's a superb optic, the OIS is excellent and the optics are first class.

A few people have complained about the 27mm not having an aperture ring and Fuji have just released a new version with one, but the original 27 is soooooo good I've absolutely no intention of changing it; the absence of an aperture ring is inconsequential to me given the results it produces.

I first got 'into' Fujifilm with an S5-Pro - basically a Nikon D200 body with a Fuji sensor and using Nikon glass. The dynamic range of that sensor was superb, way above anything Cannon or Nikon produced. I bought a Fuji X-10 as a pocket-able accompaniment to it and was further impressed with the results. Foolishly, I 'upgraded' the X-10 when the X-20 came out and Fuji were offering a great trade in; but the results, excellent though they are didn't have the DR of the X-10 in EXR mode, which I miss to this day!

I bought the X-Pro 1 as I was hooked on the style of the X-10/X-20 - took me back to my early photographic days and rangefinder cameras. The 27mm is almost permanently glued to that camera, the combination is superb and so pocket-able it almost, but not quite, replaces my X-20.

It took me a long time to be persuaded to look at the XT range, the Pro-1 is something special - ask anyone who has one, but in the end I bought the X-T3, (I traded the S5-Pro and a bunch of Nikkors to get it), and I'm glad I did. Is it better than the Pro-1? In some respects yes, in some respects no. Images are sharper and have more detail, but they don't have the film like images of the X-20 or, especially, the Pro-1; it's much better for sports, action and other moving objects like birds: then again, the Pro-1 is better for portraits and street photography, as indeed is the little X-20. So there's room for all three in my bag.

Fuji glass certainly produces different images to either Nikon, Cannon or Sony etc - here's a link to a series I took with the little X-20 to give you some idea of the quality you'll get from a small sensor Fuji camera....

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/...-part-1.63304/
    Thanks for your great write up and advice and no problem for the small slip ;).

Yes, the 100-400mm is a nice lens for sure. If I were to go that long (tight), I would most probably opt for the 70-200mm f/4 & 200-500mm f/5.6 ED VR Nikkors.

Fuji have a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 XF coming soon. If it's any good than that would eventually replace the one Tamron SP DI VC USD 70-300mm f/4-5.6 as the sharpness is just not there with this one for me.

Fuji makes some really great rangefinder style cameras, possibly amongst the best along Lumix (budget end) & Leica (expensive end).

I really enjoyed your India photos. It's a whole other world I see :). I'd like to go there one day.

I have decided to mull over it some more before I take the plunge, I will also register with Fujix Forum to learn as much as I can before hand.

Journeyman

It took me a long time to be persuaded to look at the XT range, the Pro-1 is something special - ask anyone who has one, but in the end I bought the X-T3, (I traded the S5-Pro and a bunch of Nikkors to get it), and I'm glad I did. Is it better than the Pro-1? In some respects yes, in some respects no. Images are sharper and have more detail, but they don't have the film like images of the X-20 or, especially, the Pro-1; it's much better for sports, action and other moving objects like birds: then again, the Pro-1 is better for portraits and street photography, as indeed is the little X-20. And in general universal advice to everyone to read about different camcorders, because they really are very different and this is particularly important. If you are interested, like this and look at just the types of camcorders for different types of shooting and in general for different tasks. For example I picked up Fujii, but then everyone decides for himself what he plans to shoot in general, because it's also an important part of the choice. So there's room for all three in my bag.

It's good that you told me, because I was thinking of taking a Nikon to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by bobocat View Post
    It's good that you told me, because I was thinking of taking a Nikon to be honest.
    What ?? He told you that over 2 years ago !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobocat View Post
    Where were you going to take it?

What were you planning on doing to it when you got there?

And have you ever considered not bumping years old posts to add zero value to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Where were you going to take it?

What were you planning on doing to it when you got there?
    Stepping back to the future perhaps