closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MotoGP 2021

Brilliant racing today.

Moto 3 - Rookie Pedro Acosta is an absolute star. Hardly ever raced in the rain, started 21st on the grid, got up to 6th, fell off, recovered and finished 8th. Leading the championship.

Moto 2 - Lowes crashes again. He’s the most frustrating to watch.

Moto GP - Superb win for Miller. Went into the gravel, double long lap penalty for speeding in the pit lane and kept it together on wearing wet tyres in the dry with Zarco gaining rapidly. Marc Marquez crashes and then starts carving through the field at 2 seconds per lap faster than pretty much everyone else, then surprise surprise he goes down in the wet.
    Thrilling racing.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Brilliant racing today.

Moto 3 - Rookie Pedro Acosta is an absolute star. Hardly ever raced in the rain, started 21st on the grid, got up to 6th, fell off, recovered and finished 8th. Leading the championship.

Moto 2 - Lowes crashes again. He’s the most frustrating to watch.

Moto GP - Superb win for Miller. Went into the gravel, double long lap penalty for speeding in the pit lane and kept it together on wearing wet tyres in the dry with Zarco gaining rapidly. Marc Marquez crashes and then starts carving through the field at 2 seconds per lap faster than pretty much everyone else, then surprise surprise he goes down in the wet.
    Thrilling racing.
    No spoilers then!

I watched moto3 and Moto GP but missed the Moto2 race.

I was planning to watch the Moto2 on catch-up but there’s probably little point now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No spoilers then!

I watched moto3 and Moto GP but missed the Moto2 race.

I was planning to watch the Moto2 on catch-up but there’s probably little point now.
    Golden rule - avoid social media, especially specific threads about thing you have yet to watch if you missed a event live.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Just got an email from MotoGP™:

Let me work this out...19 raced scheduled, 2 more possible, but 5 completed...shouldn't that work out as more than a 25% reduction to be attractive?

Follow the link only to see:

2021 VideoPass Season
    20% less on the motogp.com VideoPass. Subscription valid until the first race of the 2021 season.

Do they think I'm daft?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Thanks from over here in cheapskates corner!
    Oh yes...that's me.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2021 at 20:27.

WSBk was good today but this too is very worth a watch IMO...www.redbull.com/gb-en/live/red-bull-motogp-rookies-cup-2021-italy-race-1.

I just need good news about Jason Dupasquier for it to be a good day all round.

Moto3 today...can any more riders have a turn in the lead?

Great to have Sylvain Guintoli as part of the BT Sport team. Knowledgeable and a really nice guy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Damn..... Jason succumbed to his injuries last night.... 19 years old RIP young man☹️☹️

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Damn..... Jason succumbed to his injuries last night.... 19 years old RIP young man☹️☹️
    RIP Jason.

Awful news. Feared the worst when I saw it.

Reminded me of the Simoncelli crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Very, very sad news. RIP Jason and my thoughts turn to both your family and to Ayumu Sasaki who was involved in the accident.
    Last edited by PickleB; 30th May 2021 at 12:42.

rest in peace, so very sad

Great racing today...plenty of talking points...and Moto2 to come!

Moto 3 was just amazing.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Moto 3 was just amazing.
    I was indeed and I was very pleased to see Deniz Öncü on the podium at last. I've followed his progress from 2017:

...that's him in the middle and this is him in the second row at the after series ceremony:

...a series that he won...YouTube link. He also did very well in the Red Bull Rookies.

Dorna seem now to have developed their Talent Promotion system pretty well leading to a wealth of talent in Moto3. It'll be interesting to see where they end up.
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th June 2021 at 01:48.

Moto 3 was just amazing.
    Just watched the highlights. 6 abreast going into Turn 1. Wonderful.

It's all happening in Moto3 this weekend. Handbags at dawn between teams and riders, plus between riders in the same team. Another accident at the end of FP3 (all up and walking but off to the hospital) has raised doubt as to whether or not Pedro Acosta will be declared fit for the race (he was still being checked out when Q2 took place).

Update on Sunday:

"FIM MotoGP Stewards long lap penalty for riders #6 & #32, double long lap penalty for riders #31 & #55, ride through penalty
    for riders #5, #19, #20, #32, #66 & #92 & rider #54 will start from the pit lane"
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th June 2021 at 09:53.

Master
    A longish read but a sharp analysis - and some strong medicine for Maverick Viñales to swallow:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/mot...l1c7grLY9FTt2A

He's clearly fast on the right day, but he'll have a hard time winning on an Aprilia if he's waiting for the perfect bike.

Dani Pedrosa wildcard return:

Three years after his last MotoGP™ appearance, Dani Pedrosa will make a sensational comeback to the premier class at the Michelin Grand Prix of Styria as the Spaniard makes a wildcard appearance with the factory KTM squad...

I wasn't expecting that DP would come back and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A longish read but a sharp analysis - and some strong medicine for Maverick Viñales to swallow:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/mot...l1c7grLY9FTt2A

He's clearly fast on the right day, but he'll have a hard time winning on an Aprilia if he's waiting for the perfect bike.
    ICYMI...Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Statement:

Yamaha regrets to announce that Maverick Viñales‘ entry to this weekend‘s Austrian MotoGP event has been withdrawn by the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP team.

The absence follows the suspension of the rider by Yamaha due to the unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle by the rider during last weekend‘s Styria MotoGP race.

Yamaha‘s decision follows an in-depth analysis of telemetry and data over the last days.

Yamaha‘s conclusion is that the rider‘s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP race.

The rider will not be replaced at the Austrian GP.

Decisions regarding the future races will be taken after a more detailed analysis of the situation and further discussions between Yamaha and the rider.

See also this link for some further analysis.
    Last edited by PickleB; 12th August 2021 at 15:44.

That's a strange one regarding Vinales. Can't say I've ever heard of anything like it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a strange one regarding Vinales. Can't say I've ever heard of anything like it before.
    Motorcycling equivalent of the yips or twisties? Or something more related to the team / rider relationship?

Master
    Possibly frustrated by the bike so decided to punish it by holding it on the limiter? Lots of speculation but there's a good article here - https://motomatters.com/news/2021/08..._ales_for.html

Master
    There’s a video at MotoGP.com (free to watch but requires sign up): https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/...austria/385401

This appears to show him yanking the throttle and bouncing off the limiter in low gear a few times on the slow down lap, in a way that to me looks something like a, ‘Stupid bike, why aren’t you working properly?’ gesture, not unlike getting off the bike and kicking it. He seems to think there were problems with the bike, it would be odd if he was deliberately riding slowly in the wrong gear for no good reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    There’s a video at MotoGP.com (free to watch but requires sign up): https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/...austria/385401

This appears to show him yanking the throttle and bouncing off the limiter in low gear a few times on the slow down lap, in a way that to me looks something like a, ‘Stupid bike, why aren’t you working properly?’ gesture, not unlike getting off the bike and kicking it. He seems to think there were problems with the bike, it would be odd if he was deliberately riding slowly in the wrong gear for no good reason.
    It's probably this video (for those who cba signing up) -

His last lap shows him cruising, but that was the last lap of the race and not the slow down lap. He pulled in on the penultimate lap and it was a mixture of short shifting and holding it on the limiter. It's pretty clear he was trying to damage the engine and f*** over his employer and their engine allocation.

It's a bit of a dick move when you're looking for a new job. There were rumors of Aprilia signing him but they may now want to reconsider...

Moto3...what a race!

MotoGP, 4 laps to go..."This is madness"...and the excitement only increased until the finish.

A 'must watch', IMO.

Edit: ICYMI...http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2021...austria/386624.
    Last edited by PickleB; 16th August 2021 at 07:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post

His last lap shows him cruising, but that was the last lap of the race and not the slow down lap. He pulled in on the penultimate lap and it was a mixture of short shifting and holding it on the limiter. It's pretty clear he was trying to damage the engine and f*** over his employer and their engine allocation.

It's a bit of a dick move when you're looking for a new job. There were rumors of Aprilia signing him but they may now want to reconsider...
    His move is now confirmed...Viñales to join Aprilia:

...“We are honoured to be able to make all of our best skills available to Viñales along with our enthusiasm and our passion. I am confident that, like Aleix, he will embrace this extremely high-potential project. The arrival of Maverick in no way distances Lorenzo Savadori from the team, as he will remain an integral part of the Aprilia Racing family.”

Aprilia says Viñales’s contract is an annual agreement with an option for renewal.

When I first saw Vinales I predicted he’d be MotoGP champ, but he’s never really done the business on the big bikes with any consistency. Trying to blow his engine is just wrong, despite how unhappy you are with the bike / team.
    Surprised anyone would take him on even before seeing that footage.

As for yesterday’s racing - cracking stuff. Best MotoGP race for a while.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

That was an amazing race to watch when it was mostly dry, but when it got wet. Wow!

Craftsman
    So this weekend see's the end of an era, Rossi's last ever MotoGP race.
    He is the rider who got me into MotoGP, back in the days when it was on Eurosport, I remember watching this gangly funny looking teenager having fun and giving it to the older experienced riders.
    I was there for his first 500cc win at Donnington in 2000 and I've since seen him race at Le Mans, Assen, Valencia, Mugello, Barcelona, San Marino, Silverstone and Sachsenring.
    It will be strange next year without him there, no matter which circuit you are at there is always a splash of yellow in whichever direction you look, next year will be different I'm sure.
    I will be glued to the TV this Sunday, hopefully witnessing something special either during the race or straight after. It would be a nice touch if every rider slowed down on the last lap and gave VR46 his last win, unlikely I know, but the championship is already decided.
    I will still be attending MotoGP's next year, but I need to find a new "favourite", maybe Bagnaia, he seems to have fun, as does Jack Miller, I don't think I'll ever take to that Marquez fella though !

I'm sure many millions will miss Rossi. I've been a massive fan for years and I certainly will, but I wish he'd retired last season rather than watch him struggle so much this year.

This years Yamaha is not up to scratch at all.
    Fabio Quartararo is doing something a bit like Marquez did with the Honda & Casey Stoner did with the Ducati years ago & making the difference on a bike most can't ride to victories.

Of the other riders I too like Bagnaia and I like Miller, but his lack of results this year does not bode well for his future on a factory Ducati.

Remy Gardner & Raul Fernandez join Moto GP next year. Gardner is both likeable and talented. I've not yet warmed to him but Fernandez looks like a potential superstar as does Pedro Acosta, but we'll have to wait until at least 2023 to see him on the big bikes.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Gardner has surprised me this year and I’ve really grown to like him both on and off the bike. His consistency and lack of crashes shows he’s a class act. My own view is that the big bikes will suit his style and he’ll be a regular top 10 finisher once he gets used to the extra power of the Moto GP bikes.

Time will tell I suppose, but one to watch next year.👍😎

Master
    Another season over…

Was sorry to see Pol Espagaro have a massive crash in practice, how he got away without breaking any bones I’ll never know..

Yes indeed...another season over. Quite good one, IMO, with some memorable highs and very tragic lows.

On to MotoGP 2022.