closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where are all the pre owned watches?

Craftsman

Where are all the pre owned watches?

So I’m on the hunt for a watch or two, Rolex and Omega and I’ve scoured the usual places - Watchfinder, Blowers, C24, Chronomaster and Parkers... the stock there of Omega particularly, seems well, well down on what I’ve seen in recent years. It used to be the case that SMPs were all but growing on trees at these sites, same with the Planer Ocean. Sea Dwellers seem to have all but disappeared, though there are more BNIB Submariners than you can shake a stick at (though all well north of ten grand).

Watchfinder has stock, but given how easy they are to sell to, that’s not a shock - but their prices are loony tunes silly. For everything. Even knocking them down results in an inflated price. So I’m just not keen on doing business with them. As to the rest - C24 is full of pawn shop watches, which I can’t bring myself to take a fancy to - the others have little stock.

The obvious answer is that the pandemic is choking the used supply... but new watch sales are through the roof. Is it really as simple as to say ‘pandemic’ or are there new places worth checking?

Or am I having a singular experience and the rest of us are finding what they want?

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Watchfinder has stock, but given how easy they are to sell to, that’s not a shock - but their prices are loony tunes silly.

As to the rest - C24 is full of pawn shop watches, which I can’t bring myself to take a fancy to
    I think you've kind of answered your own question - they're available, but at places/prices you don't want to buy. I assume they've lots of stock as they're easy to sell to.

I've been on the lookout for something and I agree it isn't easy. I was looking at Grand Seiko and everything is either a Quartz or a smaller size, certainly no one is selling any of those with the stunning dials. I have no problems buying from Chrono24 using the escrow system, but I haven't found anything that excites.

Despite bad times, I think it is a really good time to sell and people should get those unworn watches listed on SC

Blog Entries
    I’m sure there was a thread on where to buy pre-owned watches a little while ago..

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ed-sales-sites

Or could just be a case or prices going up in general? I think most independent dealers are still very happy to 'source' any watch for the right price

Craftsman

EU.

I certainly feel that the duties and taxes now payable since the UK departed the EU are having an affect on the availability of secondary stock coming in and out of UK/Europe, with many buyers and sellers having to take extra duties payable etc into account for any sale or purchase.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I certainly feel that the duties and taxes now payable since the UK departed the EU are having an affect on the availability of secondary stock coming in and out of UK/Europe, with many buyers and sellers having to take extra duties payable etc into account for any sale or purchase.
    I fully agree with you, if you change some of the watch-websites' country to something other than the UK (i.e. Germany, Switzerland etc.) a wider range of options appears that is not available when you operate as UK-based.

is it the customs? is it the covid and problematic logistics? a bit of both? people do not sell these days? a bit of all these together?

Master
    Stocks of new and pre-owned Rolex have been wiped out after an extraordinary 2020.

A tsunami of fun-money that wasn't spent on foreign holidays was instead spent on "that watch / diamond you / I always wanted."

Bounce-back loans and other financial support intended to help businesses in the longer term instead provided many with a lump of cash which they did not necessarily allocate as they should have.

Some people have delayed buying new cars or beginning new PCPs until they feel we will all be moving / commuting freely again.

Furlough has been generous for many, especially as their spending has been curtailed. Great swathes of consumer debt have been repaid. Yes, for many COVID-19 has been and will be disastrous, but for many others it has simply diverted their spending. Fewer watches have been pawned / sold to the trade, especially during periods of lockdown, as not so many needed to raise the money and most of those who did wished to carry out such business in person.

Stocks will rebuild only slowly, but the demand has been staggering. Did we ever imagine main agents quoting five years for a gold Day-Date?

What do I think comes next? I predict that the spending boom will continue for at least a year. Many, many people have secure incomes but will still be prevented from taking those £15,000 holidays. Watches, home improvements etc are thus in scope. Many will also want to go on something of a blow-out after the frustrations of lockdown and fear. There will be another great number of people who are greatly stretched by the effects of COVID and this will "shake out" some realisable assets like quality watches.

Many more people are becoming owners of multiple Rolexes, seeing them (sensibly or not) as a store of value if not even an investment.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 17th February 2021 at 00:02.

Surely in a pandemic you would expect used supply to rise as people are forced to sell a few things to get by?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Surely in a pandemic you would expect used supply to rise as people are forced to sell a few things to get by?
    Perhaps this will be the case for some, especially as support reduces, but so far it has not been the prevailing "story."

Loan books at pawnbrokers across the country down c. 30% in a year. Lots of people able to redeem their property and no significant demand for fresh loans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Perhaps this will be the case for some, especially as support reduces, but so far it has not been the prevailing "story."

Loan books at pawnbrokers across the country down c. 30% in a year. Lots of people able to redeem their property and no significant demand for fresh loans.
    Very interesting couple of posts HM. How long will this last is the great unknown.

Same with cars. We're thinking about downsizing while we're not using the car and the choice on auto trader isn't much at all.

Haywood has it nailed above.

Between Flasher and Haywood_Milton I think you've got it sewn-up.

The drawbridge coming-up between us and Europe is significant - some small companies there are refusing to sell to the UK because it's more trouble than it's worth. Those that will trade are not dropping the VAT off the asking price, plus shipping costs have gone up, and of course from the buyer's POV you're looking at up to 30% extra landed by the time you factor-in VAT, any duty applicable, shipping and insurance, handling charges, and currency conversion costs.

I've stopped looking at Europe altogether now - and I'm probably not alone, which means there's more demand amongst UK sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

I've stopped looking at Europe altogether now - and I'm probably not alone, which means there's more demand amongst UK sellers.
    This resonates with me, until the dust settles I'm stuck UK side,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Stocks will rebuild only slowly, but the demand has been staggering. Did we ever imagine main agents quoting five years for a gold Day-Date?
    Wow!

I assumed these were readily available. I was just talking myself into getting one, but I’m too impatient to wait five years, and too tight to pay over rrp for a second hand one.

Journeyman
    I am in the process of trying to buy a older classic trials bike, the prices of these seem to have gone up as well, folks disposable income has gone up due to lack of spending, the question is will sanity return and prices return to more realistic levels,

Ps
    If anyone has a nice TY175 for sale, let me know

Scottie

Craftsman

There is a clown on an airgun forum with a Rolex Submariner for sale.

As above.
    Here is his advert.

‘Worn a couple of times non date new 41mm style all St/Stl boxed with papers and all tags as from new
    £11,000 bank transfer only. If you want photo's your not interested!!!, mint condition 5 Year Rolex warranty.
    Thanks’

That’s it! No photo’s. He is getting offended by people asking for photo’s. He’s excuse below.

‘Look in a Rolex Catalogue for images, i have sold many quality watches on here without photos!!!!’

Ok mate. Where do I send £11,000 for your £6450 watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    As above.
    Here is his advert.

‘Worn a couple of times non date new 41mm style all St/Stl boxed with papers and all tags as from new
    £11,000 bank transfer only. If you want photo's your not interested!!!, mint condition 5 Year Rolex warranty.
    Thanks’

That’s it! No photo’s. He is getting offended by people asking for photo’s. He’s excuse below.

‘Look in a Rolex Catalogue for images, i have sold many quality watches on here without photos!!!!’

That’s madness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above.
    Here is his advert.

Thanks’

Who’se advert is that

Craftsman
    Who’se advert is that
    The site is AirgunBBS.com
    The posters name is Chris1 he lives in St Denis de Gastines. France. Currently in the UK. Allegedly..

Sorry. Can’t link to the sales advert as it’s a bit like here. You need several posts before you can place or see an advert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Wow!

I assumed these were readily available. I was just talking myself into getting one, but I’m too impatient to wait five years, and too tight to pay over rrp for a second hand one.
    The five year estimate for a Day-Date is genuine, but I believe that asking different main agents, especially away from the South of England, may give shorter lead times to delivery.

Master
    Explains why when I wasn’t looking loads of Pams for sale, soon as I’m looking to buy, nothing decent available used, Sod’s law......

Master
    The site is AirgunBBS.com
    The posters name is Chris1 he lives in St Denis de Gastines. France. Currently in the UK. Allegedly..

Sorry. Can’t link to the sales advert as it’s a bit like here. You need several posts before you can place or see an advert.
    I saw that myself, that amount and can’t be bothered to take pics- I always found it strange over there, people hardly post pictures of anything they have for sale, much prefer airgunforum.

The five year estimate for a Day-Date is genuine, but I believe that asking different main agents, especially away from the South of England, may give shorter lead times to delivery.

Thank you - I (of course) believe the five year estimate is genuine. If I can eventually decide on a watch I'll contact an AD away from London!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Thank you - I (of course) believe the five year estimate is genuine. If I can eventually decide on a watch I'll contact an AD away from London!
    A friend is currently trying to buy a DD40 - not sure which config - and the AD is insisting on what is essentially an interview. They've no showed him on the last three appointment times. I could see that happening on a Sub but never a full gold watch. Times have definitely changed.

The worst has not happened as yet, once the furlough payments stop and companies start with the redundancies you may see a few more watches and other items start to be sold.

Wow, five year wait for these ‘mass produced, boring, mid level trinkets’!
    Must be causing immense grief and heart ache to some souls here:-)

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The worst has not happened as yet, once the furlough payments stop and companies start with the redundancies you may see a few more watches and other items start to be sold.
    I would imagine this will also impact the housing market. Some people I know in that sector have started talking about a crash but interestingly not for at least 2 to 5 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, five year wait for these ‘mass produced, boring, mid level trinkets’!
    Must be causing immense grief and heart ache to some souls here:-)
    Five years.....,I think not. Just contact a decent independent AD. They want the money. Four months is usually about right. As for them being ‘ Mid level trinkets’. Maybe. But just feel the bracelet....it’s wonderful by any standard.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th February 2021 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Five years.....,I think not. Just contact a decent independent AD. They want the money. Four months is usually about right. As for them being ‘ Mid level trinkets’. Maybe. But just feel the bracelet....it’s wonderful by any standard.
    Now I’m confused as to what to believe!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dear god.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Five years.....,I think not. Just contact a decent independent AD. They want the money. Four months is usually about right.
    My account came directly from a "decent independent AD" bemoaning the situation and with nothing to gain from fabrication.

What do you base your comment on? Have you tried to buy many Day-Dates in the last 12 months?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 17th February 2021 at 18:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’m sure there was a thread on where to buy pre-owned watches a little while ago..

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ed-sales-sites
    That was very helpful, thank you. Subdial seem to be worth keeping an eye on.

Craftsman
    To be honest that was my first thought too...

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    To be honest that was my first thought too...
    Lawyers, management consultants, accountants, bankers, IT, engineers, civil servants, journalists, working from home, saving on commuting, coffees, lunches, holidays, getting paid, no need to sell their baubles to get by and gagging to add to their trinket collections.

Shop, catering, hospitality workers, drivers, short of money, don’t have and never had Rolex, Omega, JLC to sell.

Add in the barriers to buying in the EU - shortages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 17th February 2021 at 20:10.