closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eterna WWW on ebay in a mixed lot of rubbish!

Master

Eterna WWW on ebay in a mixed lot of rubbish!

Not really what I'm looking for at the moment but hopefully this will benefit someone from the forum. This is a WWW Eterna worth about £2000, correct???

These sort of treasures don't come up very often but I reckon this could fly under a LOT of radars. I hope to god she doesn't take an offer to end the auction early...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joblot-Bun...s/224352376609

I would not touch this watch unless I first saw the inside and outside caseback, and the movement, and also confirmed that it is in good working condition.

Hmmm, dial looks a little off to me.

Master
    The last none-running spares-or-repairs basket-case that popped up on ebay cleared a grand (I gave up on it at £600). I'd suggest that from the sellers other items they simply have no idea what they have.

It's taken off now anyway, hopefully somebody on here snags it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Hmmm, dial looks a little off to me.
    The dial is fine, it looks to be a nice example, thanks for the heads up OP, I have taken a punt (it won't be a cheap as the £50 I paid for one a few years ago and which I gave to my Dad, he wont give it back now)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The dial is fine, it looks to be a nice example, thanks for the heads up OP, I have taken a punt (it won't be a cheap as the £50 I paid for one a few years ago and which I gave to my Dad, he wont give it back now)
    How can you tell regarding the dial? Vintage military watches scare the hell out of me for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    How can you tell regarding the dial? Vintage military watches scare the hell out of me for this reason.
    On my military watches it’s quite easy
    In the case of WWWs there are known original dials and MOD redials for each version.
    This has an original Eterna dial in an Eterna case.
    You can spot a dodgy dial quite easily.

Craftsman
    I agree! I'd like to know as well. I'm developing an interest in military watches and @Sinnlover seems to have a nice collection!

Also, perusing the https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forum.php has been really interesting but has made me very wary about launching into this field. I'm afraid I just don't have the knowledge (or probably the budget to afford to get it wrong) and as a result fear that I would get completely ripped off!

It takes time and a bit of research but the tells are quite straight forward once you know.
    It’s the same for the verification of any vintage watch really, do your home work before buying.
    Some watches are more prone to faking than others, the ones with the known names especially.
    The Omega WWW is commonly faked as the movement was used in other watches but the dials are usually a dead give a way.
    That said I have seen fakes of lesser known makers - there is at least 1 fake CWC W10 that has been posted on this forum before.
    Redials never look correct but as I said earlier there are known MOD produced redials but these were usually done for a reason (e.g change to promethium lume or adding on nato stock number)
    Where it gets difficult with WWWs is ensuring case back matches mid case and then dial as they all used different parts but parts from different makers are sometimes cobbled together (this may have occurred at an MOD watch maker when the watch was in service)
    If in doubt buy from a known source
    Both here and MWR are as good as I have found as any dodgy watches will generally be found out. If you are thinking of making a purchase post a picture here and I am sure the members here will be able to help. There are a number who are far more knowledgeable than me here.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply Sinnlover - interesting and helpful to know. I guess it's like many things - if you just launch into it with little knowledge things can go wrong in the early days until you get your expertise levels up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It takes time and a bit of research but the tells are quite straight forward once you know.
    It’s the same for the verification of any vintage watch really, do your home work before buying.
    Some watches are more prone to faking than others, the ones with the known names especially.
    The Omega WWW is commonly faked as the movement was used in other watches but the dials are usually a dead give a way.
    That said I have seen fakes of lesser known makers - there is at least 1 fake CWC W10 that has been posted on this forum before.
    Redials never look correct but as I said earlier there are known MOD produced redials but these were usually done for a reason (e.g change to promethium lume or adding on nato stock number)
    Where it gets difficult with WWWs is ensuring case back matches mid case and then dial as they all used different parts but parts from different makers are sometimes cobbled together (this may have occurred at an MOD watch maker when the watch was in service)
    If in doubt buy from a known source
    Both here and MWR are as good as I have found as any dodgy watches will generally be found out. If you are thinking of making a purchase post a picture here and I am sure the members here will be able to help. There are a number who are far more knowledgeable than me here.
    Interesting, I think the text on the dial put me off a bit but like I say, I dont know enough about these type of watches to know the difference. I have collected vintage watches for years but always stayed clear of military stuff. I expect the movement will need a service (Presumably the same price as other vintage watch services?) Were these type of watches ever put into real general use? Would a collector have to consider things like water damage to the movement far more so than another vintage watch?

Interesting, I think the text on the dial put me off a bit but like I say, I dont know enough about these type of watches to know the difference. I have collected vintage watches for years but always stayed clear of military stuff. I expect the movement will need a service (Presumably the same price as other vintage watch services?) Were these type of watches ever put into real general use? Would a collector have to consider things like water damage to the movement far more so than another vintage watch?
    The dial printing looks the same as the other example I used to own, the white often flakes on the Eterna (flaking is common on the early Omega dials as well) dials are quite easy to come by if required.
    Re damage in service, yes it happened and yes you do see examples that are beyond help
    Conversely you could consider issued watches to have been better cared than their civilian counterparts, as when they started acting up they were sent to a MOD watch maker, they were key bits of kit so were looked after.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th February 2021 at 16:20.

Seems the auction had ended, I had a bid in and it seems to have been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Yep, seems someone made an offer they couldn't refuse. Very nice watch and looked all good to me from what we could see. The movement isn't the easiest to find spare parts for if they are needed.

yep, someone seems to have made an offer.
    I hope the seller got a decent amount for it and was not hoodwinked

Journeyman
    Relisted but with the www removed.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk