closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a bottle of red (please).

I'm happy with £5 reds for everyday drinking (not every day) and have a selection of 5 or 6 regulars I like. But when I fancy a treat and when I lived not far from a laithwaites shop, it had to be a bottle or 2 of black stump

I enjoy ordering the Wine Society’s mixed cases and trying a few different wines. Then if you have one you love you can pop back and order more of that one.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/Searc...is_v=1&pl=qaab

I had the members faves case and the buyers faves case delivered last week.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I know that it’s not strictly what you asked for by my favourite ‘plonk’ is Cabalie from Laithwaite’s online https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/0022620

It’s quite often in the Big Reds case which is usually good vfm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I completely agree with this, such a great, easy drinking wine. Possibly the least 'French' French wine ever.

Just waiting on another decent offer from Laithwaites on either the regular Cabalie or the Black Label (they did a great offer pre-Christmas) & I'm going to stock up on a few cases

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Chocolate Block
    ChateauNeuf du Pape

Are great choices, but the Cabalie is the easiest drinking red I’ve found in a long time - so much so I ordered a couple of cases.

I do still love a good Barolo or Amarone though.
    This post made me think of another nice bottle.

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Amerone, its around £16 a bottle and IMHO better than some much more expensive Amerone's

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    A. don't spend more than £10, there's no benefit
    B. Majestic is open, very very quiet (Covid secure) and you can try wine. Recommend: The Guv'nor
    This. Or definition Rioja from Same place.

Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    19 Crimes- The Uprising, goes down far too well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here too, uprising is very good.

...download the app and it brings the label into augmented reality which tells the story, gimmicky but fun and the wine is great!

Blog Entries
    See if you can locate a bottle of this...

iconic Madiran wine, nicknamed "The Petrus of the Southwest"!
    I picked up 6 bottles last year & it is exceptional.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If there’s an Aldi nearby, grab a bottle of their Grande Alberone Zinfandel. It’s £7.99 and as smooth as can be. It’s a delight.
    For the price , it’s an absolute bargain.
    They also do a Barolo which gets good reviews.
    I agree with this. I’m definitely not a wine expert but I’ve picked this up a few times and it’s very nice. I also like their Valpolicella Ripasso and their Amerone.

Craftsman
    19 crimes red seems to be a big hit on here, i’ll try a bottle and see what it’s all about i think

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I know that it’s not strictly what you asked for by my favourite ‘plonk’ is Cabalie from Laithwaite’s online https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/0022620

It’s quite often in the Big Reds case which is usually good vfm

Absolutely this! forget the mixed cases just get the Cabalie by the case. I tend to go for the old vines version but the standard one is just brilliant at the price point.

Craftsman
    Here is my take:

Midweek bottle 19 crimes the banished ~£7

Weekend bottle Bread & Butter Cab Sauv Majestic ~£12

Birthday/Anniversary meerlust Rubicon ~£25

Master
    Always tough to make a recommendation without having an idea of taste but this is what I like. I'm a fan of lighter French reds, especially Beaujolais. I really like a good Fleurie but in the same ballpark the 2019 Beaujolais Villages from the Wine Society is pretty good and pretty good value. I also like the Saumur Cararnet Franc from Wairtose. Better for the summer ,drank slightly chilled. I buy a few bootle when it is on special. That said the last bottle I had was a bit harsh, not sure if it was a change in vintage. Good Burgundy is always good, but better when someone else is paying.

For something a bit bigger and badder, I like new world especially South African blends, too many to remember when in SA. Over here I've had good one from Rustenberg and I enjoyed the I also like Australian Shiraz especially Yalumba, but I think for many people, this one would not be Shiraz-enough. I also like reds from the Rhone, always enjoy a good Chateauneuf, but I think less promoted appellations like Crozes-Hermitage and Gigondas are better value for money. In a similar style, and geographically close, but usually cheaper I also like Costières de Nîmes, probably because I had a lovely weekend in Nimes, many moons ago.. You should be able to find a drinkable example for around £6. I drink less Italian and Spanish red but someone else mentioned the Amerone from Sainsbury's which I thought was excellent.

To the OP, pick a few reds in different styles, try them with food and without. What you don't or can't drink can be used to turn cheap cuts of beef, carrots and onions into a tasty stew, that you can have with a pint of beer.

Another vote for Black Stump. We are also lucky enough to have a generous FiL who gives us a few bottles of Cabalie, Waxed Bat and Pillastro from time to time. All very nice. Over the years, my favourite remains Black Stump.

Could easily spend more. I’m not enough of a wine buff to benefit from the extra expense, so just go with what I like.

Laithwaites aside, I find a trip to Waitrose generally results in a decent bottle of Red.

Waitrose aside, Jammy Red Roo from Yellow Tail is another when the supermarkets knock it back in price.

https://www.madriddarracott.com/en/p...whisky-barrel/

Hands down our favourite Spanish Tempranillo , the whisky barrel aging gives it quite a unique richness and complexity.

Great thread!

Another vote for Chocolate Block. Stocked up in Costco recently. Delicious.

I’d also recommend The Guv’nor from Majestic.

Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    A. don't spend more than £10, there's no benefit
    B. Majestic is open, very very quiet (Covid secure) and you can try wine. Recommend: The Guv'nor
    A really good quaffing wine.

Also if you like such a rich red ask Majesctic to show you their appasimento wines. Most are excellent value but obviously Italian.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    19 crimes red seems to be a big hit on here, i’ll try a bottle and see what it’s all about i think
    Was drinking this last night for the first time, it's very good.

Something was saying to me that a wine with a name is hiding something and not to be trusted, but then it occurred to me that about half of all wines have a name made by chosing two words from this list, so I stopped worrying about that.

Cloudy
    Blossom
    A colour
    Country
    Road
    Cape
    Hill
    Valley
    Bay
    Cove

When I was in Tesco yesterday, I picked up a bottle of 19 Crimes Uprising, and a bottle of Jam Shed Shiraz. I've had a little taster of both this evening and here are my 'tasting notes', for what they're worth:

Jam Shed
    Extremely fruity, and seems a bit sweet for my taste.

19 Crimes
    'Aged in rum barrels'. There's a bit of a weird taste that you probably wouldn't identify if you didn't know about the rum barrel. Knowing about the rum barrel, I can tell myself it's a hint of rum. Following that there is a huge amount of tannin, which I liken to the taste of wooden rulers from my early school days.

Neither is unpleasant, but neither is really to my taste, and one glass of either was enough. Just goes to show that one man's meat is another man's poison.

Oh, and one for the wife:

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    Because of this thread I bought a bottle of 19 Crimes during a very rare trip to the supermarket this evening.

It is mediocre at best. It’s like a ‘painting by numbers’ version of wine. Drinkable. Just.

Join the Wine Society instead. In fact, tomorrow I shall have to put an order in....I have been resisting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Because of this thread I bought a bottle of 19 Crimes during a very rare trip to the supermarket this evening.

It is mediocre at best. It’s like a ‘painting by numbers’ version of wine. Drinkable. Just.

Join the Wine Society instead. In fact, tomorrow I shall have to put an order in....I have been resisting it!
    It’s your standard supermarket bulk production wine with an inoffensive slightly sweet flavour profile like a lot of popular brand Australian/Californian/South African reds.
    That said, the Chardonnay is surprisingly good.
    I find supermarkets very homogenised with their wine choices now apart from Waitrose, luckily I have 2 good independents a few min walk away.

I have to agree its an ok Wine nothing brilliant, but what is brilliant is the Marketing behind it pictures of convicts on the label , the story of their crime etc......makes it stand out by a mile
    and has help sales no end

Cheers

Interesting.

I thought I had better try a bottle, but had an underlying suspicion that it might be a bit 'clumsy'.

Wine Society is always a good source.

Sometimes Laithwaites can be a useful source of a particular wine, but Jeez! They continually phone you up with offers, until you tell them to stop phoning!

Recommend me a bottle of red (please).

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It’s your standard supermarket bulk production wine with an inoffensive slightly sweet flavour profile like a lot of popular brand Australian/Californian/South African reds.
    That said, the Chardonnay is surprisingly good.
    I find supermarkets very homogenised with their wine choices now apart from Waitrose, luckily I have 2 good independents a few min walk away.
    That’s so funny and shows how we all have such different tastes as my wife loves her Chardonnay but on trying the 19 Crimes she thought it was disgusting and could not drink it. I tried it and I would have to agree, it was rough with a very strong aftertaste.

We have a second bottle but are both too scared to open it! It may get opened if it becomes our last bottle in the house but even then maybe not!
    Last edited by paw3001; 18th February 2021 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sometimes Laithwaites can be a useful source of a particular wine, but Jeez! They continually phone you up with offers, until you tell them to stop phoning!
    I was a member then I left, then they tempted me back, then I left, then the calls started. In the end I told them I was an alcoholic and, to their credit, they've never phoned me again.

I don't mean to make light of anyone with real addiction issues but it certainly worked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    That’s so funny and shows how we all have such different tastes as my wife loves her Chardonnay but on trying the 19 Crimes she thought it was disgusting and couldn’t not drink it. I tried it and I would have to agree, it was rough with a very strong aftertaste.

We have a second bottle but are both too scared to open it! It may get opened if it becomes our last bottle in the house but even then maybe not!
    My OH deeply dislikes 19 crimes chardonnay, whilst I love it. Anyone guess which white I tend to buy now??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    My OH deeply dislikes 19 crimes chardonnay, whilst I love it. Anyone guess which white I tend to buy now??
    Chardonnay is often deeply divisive.
    I do like it when someone tells me they simply can't bear Chardonnay while sipping a nice Chablis.

Probably another paint by numbers wine, but if I'm going to a party I always bring a bottle of George DuBoeuf Fleurie. £9 from Sainsbury's. But maybe it's the reason why I never get asked back.

Jam Shed!!!

Wine snobs - yes i already know..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Probably another paint by numbers wine, but if I'm going to a party I always bring a bottle of George DuBoeuf Fleurie. £9 from Sainsbury's. But maybe it's the reason why I never get asked back.
    You would be invited back if it was my party, or at least your choice bottle would be. :)

Craftsman
    Have lived in Italy for a while and am working my way around the wine regions. Primitivo di Manduria 'Lirica' 8.80e is the best value red of its type I've come across, while Primitivo Sessantanni San Marzano is fantastic if you want to treat yourself, 23e. Have seen the second on Vivino site for a fair price. Not sure if Lirica is available in UK. For those who say there's no difference above a tenner...Oh yes there is.

Craftsman

totally agree with this, too sweet, it was drinkable at best. pleasant taste but has that artificial taste to it

Tonight, I returned to my bottle of 19 Crimes, after it had been open for 24 hours or so. It was a lot less, er, strident, and definitely more drinkable. Still not to my taste though and I won't be buying another bottle.

The Jam Shed gets a second chance tomorrow, and the main squeeze will be trying it too. I suspect she'll rather like it.

^^^^^^Agree on the 19 Crimes - mediocre and totally anonymous at best. Avoid.

Let us know your thoughtrs on the JS!

Jam Shed is weird.

Its like quadruple strength Ribena, with alcohol at the bottomx then double distilled to concentrate the flavours!
    Its so far away from an old school French red wine it's funny.
    My local SPAR has it for £5.99

I like it just on the basis that it's tasty. I'll bet most wine buffs would repulse.

Master
    Wow, started this thread this morning and was heading to Asda to source some 19 crimes at some stage today. After spending a couple of hours doing normal life, came back and read the 2nd page of this thread! Won’t bother now. I’ll stick with my Yellow Tail Jammy Red Roo, which I buy by the case from the cash and carry. Cheap? yes. Quaffable? Very. Am I a connoisseur? Hell no!

You can't go far wrong with Chateau Purcari at your price point. Negru de Purcari is splendid.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Another vote for Black Stump. We are also lucky enough to have a generous FiL who gives us a few bottles of Cabalie, Waxed Bat and Pillastro from time to time. All very nice. Over the years, my favourite remains Black Stump.
    I'm the same, drink what I like regardless whether it is cheap or expensive.

Cabalie old vine (black label) is my favourite, but some may find it a bit sweet
    Black Stump is great, not quite as rich as Cabalie but no sweetness
    Pillastro is a really nice alternative to Black Stump as is Dark Corner or President

I always view a good red as one that makes me want to go and get a nice piece of strong cheese out of the fridge...

/\/\ With you on the cheese.
    Just trying Jam shed after reading this thread, quite complex but way to sweet

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jam Shed is like a halfway house between a red and Port.
    If you like Port JS may be palatable. I love Port.

...and on that note, Buckfast!!

Craftsman
    Big fan of South African reds, meerlust red is nice and not too pricy, ken forrester gypsy was the one that converted me and is about £35. I’ve not really found one in the supermarkets that I like yet though. Joined naked wines and enjoy everything they’ve sent me, arabella cabernet from them was very nice and about £7

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Big fan of South African reds, meerlust red is nice and not too pricy, ken forrester gypsy was the one that converted me and is about £35. I’ve not really found one in the supermarkets that I like yet though. Joined naked wines and enjoy everything they’ve sent me, arabella cabernet from them was very nice and about £7
    Meerlust is a great wine house and their Rubicon is fabulous but pricey. Personally, I think those that say not to spend over a Tenner are fooling themselves and missing out on some great wines. The quality of wine jumps up once you get above £10 a bottle.

However, I agree it is diminishing returns once past £50. Oh it will taste great but unless you are a true wine connoisseur with brilliant taste buds it becomes harder to tell the difference apart from whether you like it or not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Go_Getter View Post
    Great thread!

Another vote for Chocolate Block. Stocked up in Costco recently. Delicious.

I’d also recommend The Guv’nor from Majestic.

Enjoy.
    I bought some Chocolate Block at Costco today so will be enjoying that later. £18 a bottle seemed a good price, so went off all the recommendations on here

After a six week boot camp with no booze I’ll be cracking open a bottle of chocolate block tonight.

As many have mentioned it’s a superb wine and always one I come back to.

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    I bought some Chocolate Block at Costco today so will be enjoying that later. £18 a bottle seemed a good price, so went off all the recommendations on here
    That’s a cracking price. I would have picked up a crate!

I enjoyed my bottle last night!

Craftsman
    I had a case of 12 Laithwaites red mix over Christmas, with Pillastro being my favourite, the others so so.
    Had a bottle of Turner Road Reserve Merlot given to me last week and I really liked it, so did the wife and that's unusual as she doesn't really like red.
    So offer price at the moment 2 for £10 in Morrisons I'll get a few in.

Sent from my CPH2005 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Something was saying to me that a wine with a name is hiding something and not to be trusted, but then it occurred to me that about half of all wines have a name made by chosing two words from this list, so I stopped worrying about that.

Cloudy
    Blossom
    A colour
    Country
    Road
    Cape
    Hill
    Valley
    Bay
    Cove

When I was in Tesco yesterday, I picked up a bottle of 19 Crimes Uprising, and a bottle of Jam Shed Shiraz. I've had a little taster of both this evening and here are my 'tasting notes', for what they're worth:

Jam Shed
    Extremely fruity, and seems a bit sweet for my taste.

19 Crimes
    'Aged in rum barrels'. There's a bit of a weird taste that you probably wouldn't identify if you didn't know about the rum barrel. Knowing about the rum barrel, I can tell myself it's a hint of rum. Following that there is a huge amount of tannin, which I liken to the taste of wooden rulers from my early school days.

Neither is unpleasant, but neither is really to my taste, and one glass of either was enough. Just goes to show that one man's meat is another man's poison.
    I agree with Jam Shed. My girlfriend loves it but I find it way too sweet. I've enjoyed 19 Crimes when I've had a bottle.

I joined The Wine Society just before Christmas but I'm yet to order anything as I've had plenty left over from the festive period. I'll probably try a few mixed cases to start with and see what's what.

The Black Stump is one I keep buying from Laithwaites.

I generally like black reds - here are a few of my favourites

Vat 71 Reserve Shiraz
    Black Pig Reserve Baroda Valley and Clare Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
    The Flyboat Old Bush Vine Pinotage Shiraz
    The Waxed Bat
    Cabalie - one of the few affordable French wines I rate
    Albacore Longfin Shiraz
    Benefico Shiraz Grenache
    Vetrere Passaturo is one I have as a bit of a special treat - not cheap (£21) & not that easy to find

In terms of Wine Clubs I've tried several but I've stuck with Virgin Wines, in particular their Wine Bank scheme.

For cheap & cheerful I think Yellow Tail wines are hard to beat. They are quite often available at £6.00
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Just had (well, last night, not now, its only 10...) a 19 Crimes Deported.

Bit different as it has a shot of cold brew coffee in it.

Solves the question of after dinner drinks though.

I've been drinking the Co-op's 4 Winemakers Malbec.

Pretty good for £6, IMO.
    ______

​Jim.