closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai Base

Craftsman

Panerai Base

Which Panerai Luminor Base would you buy and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Do you want a sausage or a sandwich? Which dial you prefer will affect your choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman

Panerai Base

Either. Would prefer sandwich, but was really after thoughts on what ‘you’ would buy and why. I guess the movements have changed a lot over the years and are now some snap back case(?) whereas older models are screw down? (But both are 100m depth rated so can’t really see the issue with either option?)

Craftsman
    I’m still deciding between 42mm and 44mm, I think all base models are 44mm ?

PAM 0002. One of the first and what I have.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Pam000, you won't regret.

you can't really go wrong with one of the Unitas models. Panerai zero would be my choice - just a very clean simple dial

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    you can't really go wrong with one of the Unitas models. Panerai zero would be my choice - just a very clean simple dial

I would also strongly favour a Unitas, but each to their own. The hobby would be dull if we all liked the same

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    Pam000, you won't regret.
    I always thought the Zero was the essence of Panerai

Dave

If you want to combine: base, Unitas, limited edition and gold hands, go to 390.
    It's also the bridge between Bettarini and 1950 visions, or a small wrist 372.
    If I have to take only one Pam, for the rest of my life, it would be 390.

Master
    I'm not that knowledgeable on Panerai but I would prefer a fiddy. For me it has to be sandwich dial, clean - maybe just a 2 hander. The base motif and applied markers just leave me feeling unfulfilled.

Fiddy (and the rest of 47 mm) is not as good "all-arounder" as Bettarini. Prices are also from different universe.

I'm writing it as as huge fan of Pam217 (destro/lefty) version of Fiddy

Apprentice
    If you want to combine: base, Unitas, limited edition and gold hands, go to 390.
    It's also the bridge between Bettarini and 1950 visions, or a small wrist 372.
    I do like that model, just a little bit more bling, without being too much

Agreed.

Master
    I've just been through this is the last few weeks.

For me it had to be a sandwich dial as i have the sausage dial covered

Then the choice is Luminor or Luminor Marina, small seconds.

Logo or no logo, for me it was no logo, just dont like it, if you do then a 005 is also worth a look.

Steel or titanium.

Unitas or in house.

My choice was Luminor Marina, sandwich, titanium, unitas and so ended up with the 177 and love it.

HOWEVER when i was buying my first Panerai 7 years ago i was trying to cover as many bases as i could at that time, so had to 44mm Bettarini, had to be steel, had to be a steel screw back 300m, and for me i wanted an 8 day manual wind movement as a "nod" to the history of Panerai with the 8 day Angelus movement. All this led to one watch and that watch is the 590, which also has the 8 giorni brevettato symbol which is also a nod to the legendary Angelus Cal 240 SF.. Over the years I've sold it and bought it back and about 2 months ago it came back to me again, now on my sons wrist.

EDIT - sorry i was thinking base models rather than, well you know what i mean. Ok, Q series 112.
    Last edited by Nev; 14th February 2021 at 15:42.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post

Looks nice.
    Do you literally mean a PAM00000 ?
    (I’m not up to speed on the reference numbers).

How do the brand new base models compare to the older ones being referenced above?

Master
    Screw down are 300m WR. Snap back are 100m WR. I think the snap back version also moved from screw in pins to spring bars, though I haven’t seen one in the flesh to verify.

I’ve had 2 00000s in my time, which I liked apart from the steel finish - I prefer the Matt finish on titanium - so next time I’m in the market for a Panerai it will either be a 176 or 177. Which will compliment my titanium 352 and 389 nicely.
    Last edited by neebsta; 14th February 2021 at 16:09.

Does depend on what you want from the brand.

All base Pams will be 44mm in the Bettarini case style. The 1950s style case have more finesse but will be auto and have running seconds.

Old Unitas movements are readily available 2nd and hold their money well.

000 Logo, Sausage dial many see as the perfect Pam.

112 is the sandwich dial variant & no logo (sandwich dials Pam DNA but look slightly better on the 1950s case)

390 the special edition is stunning. Brown tobacco dial hold hands. Some call it the mini 372. As a closed case back be careful if buying without provenance as Pams heavily faked.

Also as mentioned 177 a titanium 112

Next came the ‘in house’ 8 days. This was my route in as wanted that movement for the money spent. I managed to get one of the last 560s with a sandwich dial. For someone with a few watches I wind it Sunday morning and generally get 8-9days on it. Some small changes flat crystal and smaller bezel.

Panerai later went with sausage dials, then produced new 3 day movements with snap on case backs 100m WR compared to 300m. (Historical dive watches should have 300m).

Not that up to date in the brand now. But feel you get a lot less for your money on the Bettarini style cases now.

But the 1950s cases are still great and available in many case constructions but now have huge RRPs

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    177 looks great!
    It’s gone to the top of my list

Master
    I’m trying to source my first Panerai at the mo, thought I’d decided on a 682 Submersible then started to read this thread.......... it’s a minefield with reference numbers, sausage, sandwich, feel like a kid on their first day of school, haven’t a clue :-)

Craftsman
    The 42mm diver is the one I want but not the one I can afford right now. But I think I should just be patient and wait until I can.

I really miss having a Panerai, had half a dozen different ones a decade ago, autos and manual wind but always the 44mm luminor marina - never paid more than £1750 for one brand new (!) but ultimately I abandoned the brand due to shocking servicing and QC issues. Can’t believe they now make snap on back versions, and the prices seem a bit insane. How much is a new base 0000 and is the servicing and QC improved? I have very large wrists and now they aren’t a ‘trendy’ brand I’d be tempted back possibly

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I really miss having a Panerai, had half a dozen different ones a decade ago, autos and manual wind but always the 44mm luminor marina - never paid more than £1750 for one brand new (!) but ultimately I abandoned the brand due to shocking servicing and QC issues. Can’t believe they now make snap on back versions, and the prices seem a bit insane. How much is a new base 0000 and is the servicing and QC improved? I have very large wrists and now they aren’t a ‘trendy’ brand I’d be tempted back possibly

Munich authorised service is a joke. That's why I'd never buy model with the in-house movement again. Unitas is easily serviceable, with a huge ability of parts. In-house is only repairable in Munich and Neuchatel.

Another here to recommend the 177.

I have owned the 176, 177, base models then the 311 monopulsante, the 285 Diver and now have the 233 GMT.

IMHO and for everyday use the 177 cannot be beaten.

Regards.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post

I have owned the 176, 177, base models then the 311 monopulsante, the 285 Diver and now have the 233 GMT.

Regards.

Keith.

OP stated a base, 177 is a Marina. It is a very nice watch, but I guess the 176 would be more what he is seeking, if he wishes to go titanium

I would go for the base logo model. Very popular. Not sure of the current model number

DON

Craftsman
    Thanks all.
    177 or 176 would be what I would choose. Love the Ti case. Would be an everyday watch in a casual vibe. The Ti with the green rubber or black rubber strap looks awesome.

There are certain features I think are just unacceptable in a Panerai, and which I would avoid.

So I would never consider a PAM with 42mm diameter, or with a snap-on back or with springbars.

Also, I dislike the logo on the base models - I think it’s ugly and I don’t understand why it is generally light blue.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    There are certain features I think are just unacceptable in a Panerai, and which I would avoid.
    So I would never consider a PAM with 42mm diameter, or with a snap-on back or with springbars.
    Also, I dislike the logo on the base models - I think it’s ugly and I don’t understand why it is generally light blue.
    Simon
    Logo could be white (PAM000).
    I'd add the fast strap change system to the list of unacceptable features. There is a spring behind the strap-bar release button. Damage of this system could be expensive.

Blog Entries
    I was after a 111 as a starter to PAM ownership with a 312 being my ‘get to’. So many advised me to hold out which is what I did.

For me base territory would still be a 111.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post

Regards.

Keith.

Good choice on the 233. I currently also own one of these as well as a 610. Totally different watches on the wrist depending on your mood and attire.

Craftsman
    And of course the 176 and 177 are like rocking horse poop and can’t be found anywhere online amongst the usual pre-owned sites...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    And of course the 176 and 177 are like rocking horse poop and can’t be found anywhere online amongst the usual pre-owned sites...

There’s a 176 for sale on eBay located in London. Not my watch and I don’t know the seller. Search 176/177 and 00176/00177 will give you different search results.

Master
    372 all day long.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Think Bruce Williams - YouTube just got a 176/177 and reviewed it. Always find his shots/ videos good, and seems knowledgeable. Not watched that video yet but could help in decision making.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    372 all day long.

If only they made that in 42mm I'd be all over it. 47mm to big for mine and most wrists. 44mm now only seems OK for a weekend outing.

Great looking watch though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    There’s a 176 for sale on eBay located in London. Not my watch and I don’t know the seller. Search 176/177 and 00176/00177 will give you different search results.
    That 176 is gone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    That 176 is gone
    It was still available this morning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    It was still available this morning.
    Its gone now and i think i know who bought it!!

Random pic of my 177 which now is on an olive shark

Last edited by Nev; 17th February 2021 at 00:11.

Master
    That 372 is great. I don't care that it would look comically big on my slim wrists, it's a PAM, it's pure Pam.

Here's some of my 560 - just because

Panerai Base

The 372, for me the quintessential Pam, easier to wear than my 44mm 328.
    Image1613560910.619756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Bases loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    That 372 is great. I don't care that it would look comically big on my slim wrists, it's a PAM, it's pure Pam.
    I'm also not the lumberjack and what is a bit strange, 47 mm (1950 profile) case seems to fit more comfortable for me, than 44 mm Bettarini's. Go to 47 mm you won't regret!

Master
    Here is a 176. Perhaps the ti hides scratches better than stainless steel.All a matter of personal preference but I like it.

Master
    Hard to go past the 372

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Looks nice.
    Do you literally mean a PAM00000 ?
    (I’m not up to speed on the reference numbers).

How do the brand new base models compare to the older ones being referenced above?
    Yes, it's the PAM00000 - I just find it easier to call it the "zero". Probably laziness on my part, but I struggle with the idea of "PAM zero zero zero zero zero"

As for how it compares to the new models, I can't comment because I've no experience of owning one of the P.6000 calibre watches, but to my mind the Unitas movement (older) models are much more attractive simply because of ease of servicing

Master
    I'm also not the lumberjack and what is a bit strange, 47 mm (1950 profile) case seems to fit more comfortable for me, than 44 mm Bettarini's. Go to 47 mm you won't regret!
    Interesting. Yes I really like the 372, a true fiddy, clean and sandwich dial, just pure PAM. My other half isn't keen on panerai looks though so I need to work on that. What is the price range for a pre owned 372,?

4.5-5.5 I’d budget for