closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold water swimming - do you take part?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Controlling the body’s panic response and breathing is sadistically rewarding I find.
    Don't you mean masochistically?

The sadistically part would be for your wife if she was controlling the temperature of your shower...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Cold showers are hugely beneficial to the mind and body, it’s part of the Wim Hof method, while I have tried the other aspects of his method the cold showers give me the best uplift and buzz.

I tend to have a warm just above tepid shower for the wash to acclimatise, then wind it round to cold, to start if you can do 20-30 secs and build towards 2 mins you’ll definitely feel the difference.

It’s mainly about mind control, your brain is screaming WTF are you doing considering getting under a icy cold shower and it is a shock, but after a week or so you start to want it, bit like a challenge you look forward too.

It definitely helps with stress, depression and anxiety so if you have any of the above give it a go, although take it easy if you have any health conditions..
    I've just tried this - I didn't get as deep-down chilled as when swimming and I wasn't entirely successful at suppressing various involuntary yelps and shudders as I turned the temp right down (mains water at the moment is very cold...) but I was cold enough to glow afterwards and I've got a horrible feeling that I will be doing the same tomorrow!

^Great, OK makes sense.

And a link to a documentary by Alice Roberts? Suddenly I am even more interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^Great, OK makes sense.

And a link to a documentary by Alice Roberts? Suddenly I am even more interested.
    Seen her back in the summer walking with her kids as she doesn’t live far from me, we said hello and I had the thought of I know you from somewhere?

I like my history so we could have had a good chat had I known straight away, very attractive in person too

The run open water swimming events (when we are allowed to go out and about again) all over the country which have become quite popular.
    https://greatswim.org/

I did my first one a few years back in Alton Water near Ipswich, where one lady very unfortunately died. The weather was very rough that day, despite it being inland but I think she just had a heart attack or something similar.

OW swimming is a strangely addictive thing and I have been looking to get back into it again recently. Robson Green did a programme on it a few years back I seem to remember, on Channel 5 maybe?

EDIT: It was Robson Greens Wild Swimming Adventure on ITV1 from 2009.
    Last edited by Maysie; 16th February 2021 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Don't you mean masochistically?

The sadistically part would be for your wife if she was controlling the temperature of your shower...
    Where would I be without you SJ

Master

I enjoy an outdoor swim. I recommend the Salthill diving board in Galway if you are ever over in Ireland.

Hi

Not swimming in the lakes nor the sea at the moment as they have frozen over, but should be back in the water mid April

Thanks
    deano
    (Finland)

Master
    Normally have a go when hiking up Snowdon.

Katherine May writes about cold water swimming at Whitstable in Kent in her recent book, Wintering. Here is an excerpt:

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.c...katherine-may/

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Katherine May writes about cold water swimming at Whitstable in Kent in her recent book, Wintering. Here is an excerpt:

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.c...katherine-may/
    Well written thanks for linking. I agree there is definitely a high, a dopamine hit thus some similarity with taking Ecstasy. Can´t say as I´ve experienced the need or behaviour she describes of having an intimate jabber with a stranger, E can certainly do this, as I swim alone in the Autumn-Winter at least, but the feeling of exultation, almost triumph afterwards is noticeable and reliable. There is a spiritual element, a reconnection to nature, something I believe it´s too easy to lose in our digital, fast paced lives-worlds.
    Makes a lot of sense to me, we´re in large part composed of water.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd March 2021 at 10:54.

I used to swim a lot in the sea when I lived near the coast at Marske. North sea always freezing and I did 3 yrs stint as a Life Guard at Saltburn.(Had all the RLSS awards inc. Instructor).😁

Found this the other day.

Not quite sure I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by deano42 View Post
    Hi

Not swimming in the lakes nor the sea at the moment as they have frozen over, but should be back in the water mid April

Thanks
    deano
    (Finland)
    Hmm, reminds me of my time at Keswick Outward Bound. Up early, break the ice, cold plunge then 20 press ups ( young and fit).
    I did do a sea swim from Marske to Saltburn, a couple of miles, that was freezing even in the summer!
    I don't partake now though. 😁

Master
    Blog Entries
    This documentary is available on iPlayer for another two months - well worth watching - informative and inspirational

The Merthyr Mermaid: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qnb4 via @bbciplayer

On a more personal note, the North Sea off Suffolk is starting to get cold again and swims are as much about chilling as exercise - heaven!