closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doors out not in !

Doors out not in !

Morning All
    A real first World problem here.... watching lots of Nordic Noir/Scandi Dramas on TV why do most of the Front Doors open outwards !
    Seems to be awkward and dangerous to me , mind you Scandinavians are great at design and concept so perhaps we are in the wrong.....
    Perhaps Possu our Man in Finland in can answer ? , been watching Deadwind excellent Finnish Drama , also Young Wallander filmed in Latvia , all doors outwards

This furlough hasn't been a empty void at all !

Cheers

Reasons of space, safety (fire escape), reduction of water ingress.

I've always wondered why toilet doors in pubs, restaurants etc don't open outwards without handles so once you've washed your hands you don't have to put them on dirty handles to open doors to get out.
    "A man of little significance"

Why would it be dangerous? Because someone can block it?
    Emergency exits open outwards because it is deemed easier to push in one go than stop and take a step back to pull, especially with people behind you.
    That would be my guess. It may be made more difficult if it snowed a lot, but I am sure they have a solution.
    On reflection, you’re correct: let’s wait for Possu to answer that one
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I can’t really answer that question but I’m a fan of it ,being in the building game I’ve fitted a few that way ,but you wouldn’t believe the look you get from some customers when you suggest it,it seems totally alien to some and takes some convincing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Safety. Impossible to kick in the door if you have a proper frame.
    2. Convenience. The door will not take away space from your vestibule.
    3. Necessity. It’s common to have double doors for insulation and soundproofing. We do like our quiet.
    4. Structural health. A lot less snow ingress when you open the door after heavy snow.

Blog Entries
    Even in UK, Emergency Doors and wheelchair friendly door open outwards. Guess because in an emergency you may be pushed from behind by other who want to get out, and because wheelchair users will not have to go back and forth. But not in normal front doors.

In Nordic climates I guess it avoids snow outside will not come in the house, and provided that most of the snow has been dealt with, the opening outside completes the pushing aside of the snow. But do not know by experience, just a guess.

(Edit: Just seen that proper Nordic Possu just replied as I was writing)

Doors off emergency pressurised areas (e.g. stairwells) in modern buildings will open out and away from the pressure, so as to improve rather than disimprove access to those areas.

I’d like to add ease of exit in an emergency to my point number one after reading other replies.

One question seems to arise: why on earth would you have a front door open inwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I’d like to add ease of exit in an emergency to my point number one after reading other replies.

One question seems to arise: why on earth would you have a front door open inwards?
    With outwards opening, once open (for callers, say) will have to step outside to close the door.

Probably because they are cheaper. You can fit a door with accessible hinges on the protected side and not overly compromise security. Outward opening doors tend to cost more and need protected hinges and things like dog bolts installed.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks Possu and everyone else, all makes sense now, never catch on over here all those good ideas why they work, it has always been that way and always will.....

Also Possu watching Deadwind lots of apartment blocks in Helsinki are these well insulated etc... it was blowing a Big Snow storm in one of the episodes I saw and the roads were covered in Snow , mind you I expect you know how to drive on the Snow by now......

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With outwards opening, once open (for callers, say) will have to step outside to close the door.
    I can reach my door handle from my doorstep, no need to step out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Probably because they are cheaper. You can fit a door with accessible hinges on the protected side and not overly compromise security. Outward opening doors tend to cost more and need protected hinges and things like dog bolts installed.
    The almighty dollar, as the Americans like to say. I would factor in the cost of the space you will lose inside. In my home town the average price of 0.5 square meters the door will occupy was around £1500 in 2019. The Covid situation has made the prices skyrocket in the last six months. With an extra 2k you’ll have some bells and whistles to your door I reckon.

Snow - if the doors opened inwards the snow would tumble inside.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I can reach my door handle from my doorstep, no need to step out.
    Fair enough, though less easy as we get older/frailer or if the wind were to snatch it!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    But if outwards, door couldn't be opened...

Our front door opens onto the pavement. If it opened outwards I'd end up twatting some unsuspecting youth wandering up the street with its head in its phone.

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

But if outwards, door couldn't be opened...
    Oh you and your sensible answers...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Thanks Possu and everyone else, all makes sense now, never catch on over here all those good ideas why they work, it has always been that way and always will.....

Also Possu watching Deadwind lots of apartment blocks in Helsinki are these well insulated etc... it was blowing a Big Snow storm in one of the episodes I saw and the roads were covered in Snow , mind you I expect you know how to drive on the Snow by now......

Cheers
    We are big on insulation. No need to turn off the heat or a/c if you intend to be back within a week.

Snow is rarely hard to drive on. Actually it provides a nice grip with winter tyres. The real problems come when a wet road suddenly freezes over, the ice gets polished by tyres and the temperatures stay well enough below zero that salt won’t help any.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Our front door opens onto the pavement. If it opened outwards I'd end up twatting some unsuspecting youth wandering up the street with its head in its phone.

Hmmm....
    If that is not a point in my favour then nothing is.

The almighty dollar, as the Americans like to say. I would factor in the cost of the space you will lose inside. In my home town the average price of 0.5 square meters the door will occupy was around £1500 in 2019. The Covid situation has made the prices skyrocket in the last six months. With an extra 2k you’ll have some bells and whistles to your door I reckon.
    You must have the same issue with internal doors. I have a very Tibetan solution.

I imagine the bathroom door lock will make them hang funny and ruin the feng shui.

Tibetans are very adept whistlers.

I call your Tibetan whistler.... nevermind, I’m all in.

I get the space and snow “falling in” argument, but if the doors open outward, how do you open it if you have 6 foot of snow pressing against it (assuming you want to of course).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    All our doors bar one set open outwards much prefer it now, when we first had it done I was sceptical but it works well and we don’t get 6ft snow drifts in the uk lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I recently bought a dog from a Blacksmith. As soon as I got it home it made a bolt for the door...

My apologies for the thread derail, your comment reminded me of that one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Mr Tetley;5673756]I recently bought a dog from a Blacksmith. As soon as I got it home it made a bolt for the door...

excellent 👌🏽

Interesting fact #436.

By law, all Berlin bar doors must open outwards onto the street (it’s normal to have some sort of vestibule to prevent you from twatting an unsuspecting pedestrian).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Pretty sure in Norway at least - hotel room doors open into the corridor by regulation.

A safety feature for fire evacuation.

Other Scandinavian countries may also have that requirement.

I lived 40 years in Minnesota. If doors swung outwards, those 3-4 foot snow drifts would make it impossible to even open the door!