closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this expensive?

Craftsman

Is this expensive?

I was browsing through the latest MOD auction and came across this Seiko:
    https://bid.mod-sales.com/auctions/7...3-acca0108a21a
    Currently at £650+12% buyers premium then +20% VAT.
    Seems a lot for a quartz chrono, around £875 if I’ve done the sum right.

Am I under pricing it’s worth, or has someone somewhat overpaid?

Dave

That's the RAF Pilot/Navigator issued Gen 1 Seiko. It looks like it needs a new glass/perspex and has the tell-tale marks on the caseback from being on a nylon NATO strap. I have seen these go for as much as £1,200. I suspect it will go for more than is currently bid. Seiko UK will happily service these at very reasonable cost. I still have the Gen 1 issued to me as I started advanced flying training in 1988, and a Gen 2 that I was issued with later for reasons I won't bore you with here.

There is an identical watch in better condition for sale on MWR for £750.
    They are a nice watch but seiko no longer support the movement and parts are becoming scarce, (seiko told me they don’t have any parts when I enquired about a service)
    I feel these are going to increase in price because there will be fewer decent working examples out there. It’s the same for the gen 2
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th February 2021 at 20:01.

Apprentice

Gen1

I don’t think they are worth it but 600-700 seems what they go for nowadays I sold mine last year for £750

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There is an identical watch in better condition for sale on MWR for £750.
    They are a nice watch but seiko no longer support the movement and parts are becoming scarce, (seiko told me they don’t have any parts when I enquired about a service)
    I feel these are going to increase in price because there will be fewer decent working examples out there. It’s the same for the gen 2

I have owned a few of these in my time, but as John as pointed out Seiko do not hold parts for these anymore and you may be very lucky to purchase a cloned version( Epsom ) of the movement.

Personally I would not touch the watch is question, unless it has recently been serviced.

I recently sold my 1988 issued Gen 1, which I bought in 1992 , ( it was unmarked ) for £940.