closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cherished Number plate Retention Question

Master

Cherished Number plate Retention Question

I know there are a few members in the car trade on here and I would appreciate some guidance regarding the above.
    Briefly, the wife has a car which is to small for our 2 large tripehounds. I did suggest this to her when she bought it, but having done so, we then bought a Corsa van for muddy dog duties. This has gone reasonably well but of course it's had virtually no use since Covid hit us, and having had rodent damage to fuel lines, then a new engine ECU, the decision has been made to buy her a car that is large enough for the dogs and sell the van.
    Both vehicles are on her cherished plates and we have struck a deal to P/X both vehicles for a bigger car.
    The plate on her car will be transferred directly onto her new car, so no problem there.
    She wants to retain the plate on her van (put on her quad bike, or my suggestion just sell it), but when I went online, the DVLA website wouldn't have it because prior to us buying it (from a trader), it hadn't been continually taxed for 5? years.
    So the option as I see it is to send the V5c with a V317 off to DVLA by post and wait 4-6 weeks for the V5c to come back. This is a bit of a mess about but won't delay her new car as they have suggested a £250 refundable deposit pending the V5c being returned and given to them. I have asked the salesperson about this, but I'm not sure she quite understands. The DVLA website seems to suggest this, but looking at the V317, I wonder if thats the only way
    The question I have is can we give the V5c together with a V317 to the dealer and expect to receive a retention certificate back, or is that fraught with dangers of a cock-up and losing the plate? Thanks for any advice.

Send the V5c off yourself and let the dealer hold the £250.
    It’s far safer that way and you’re in control. I wouldn’t trust the dealer.

When my wife changed her car, the dealer held £1000 until receipt of the V5c and we’d done it online so it was only a matter of days.

Master
    I think you're probably right, thank you.

I took a plate off a bike that had been off the Riss fir a number of years and had to do what you’ll be doing.

The new V5c came back after about six weeks (though it felt much longer) but my cheque wasn’t cashed fir a further few weeks.

Master
    I was thinking more like 6 weeks, it's because of Covid you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I was thinking more like 6 weeks, it's because of Covid you know.
    agree do it yourself, i just done this ( last month) dealer held £250, i had the new log book back within 2 weeks which suprised me too with covid! i could have posted v5 to dealer but i took in personally so no mistakes!

Master
    Thanks for that, V317 printed off and filled in, cheque written out, off it goes this afternoon.
    Always worth asking on here.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Send the V5c off yourself and let the dealer hold the £250.
    It’s far safer that way and you’re in control. I wouldn’t trust the dealer.

When my wife changed her car, the dealer held £1000 until receipt of the V5c and we’d done it online so it was only a matter of days.
    This 100%

I work in the motor trade and that’s very fair treatment from the dealer.

Master